• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
Y'all can believe whatever you want to believe. I only engaged in this conversation because speculation has been riding on the assumption that FP5 reveal at the vgas has been confirmed, which is far from the case. People have been tempering their expectations on this single event, and if it doesn't happen, it'll be dumb for people to be disappointed on something that they were never promised to begin with. If it does happen, congrats I guess?

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'll never get why "Who" and "Literally Who" have become such a big thing in Smash. It just says something about how some characters need more recognition and love
Then you DO get it.

It's a phrase used to describe a character that needs more recognition and love before it can be seriously considered for Smash.

D

Deleted member

Y'all can believe whatever you want to believe. I only engaged in this conversation because speculation has been riding on the assumption that FP5 reveal at the vgas has been confirmed, which is far from the case. People have been tempering their expectations on this single event, and if it doesn't happen, it'll be dumb for people to be disappointed on something that they were never promised to begin with. If it does happen, congrats I guess?
Don't get me wrong; I'm fine being wrong. It's part of the fun of Smash speculation, you know? :laugh:

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Namco: Pac-Man covers their arcade games (along with a Prince of all Cosmos cameo) so they have a large pool to draw from in either their fighting games (Tekken, Soul Calibur) or their RPGs (Xenosaga, Tales of, Dark Souls)

So from most to least, of the ones already involved I'd say Namco, then Capcom, followed by Konami and the rest trailing further behind. Capcom got Ken in the Base game and Konami added the Belmonts so Namco is the one that stick out.
It would make sense to me if Namco were to get a DLC character it'd be the last one in the Fighters Pass lineup.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Am I the only one who was hype for Olimar in Bralw?

Anyone?

Hello...?

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
But that proves my point. A character's reveal trailer and their presentation are never on the same date.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai showcased FP 5 and then revealed the first post pass character.
Oh right. Heheh whoops. Well I'm kinda hoping for this one character to be FP5 though they might not fly that well at TGAs?

Boy I wonder if they'd have the first post-Pass character in any sort of development to announce, like alongside the character in a Smash direct on its own, or maybe in the next Feburary Direct or something.

At any rate, can we just rely on the Smash site not having the "new" on the characters section before getting a new reveal, like the day before the TGAs or something?
Sakurai would never leave the stage on a small note.

:ultolimar:

Never.

:ultshulk:

Never EVER.

:ultpiranha:

TGAs gonna be a big one. I can feel it.
Last newcomer of Melee? Surprise character (:ultgnw:). Last secret unlockable newcomer of Brawl if they hadn't had the delay that added Toon Link and Wolf? Surprise character (:ultrob:). Last secret unlockable newcomer of Smash 4? Surprise character (:ultduckhunt:). That game's DLC? Okay that ended with the "Ballot pick that happened to be Bayonetta". But the last newcomer of Ultimate's base game assuming it was cut from it because reasons?

Surprise character, mother-****** (:ultpiranha:).

NoBS

Smash Apprentice
You were saying reasons why it won’t be there and I was saying reasons why it would. I only engaged because I see far more reasons for it atleast happening in December including wanting a big smash reveal to get people interested and buys up for Christmas where most game sales generally take place.

D

Deleted member

At any rate, can we just rely on the Smash site not having the "new" on the characters section before getting a new reveal, like the day before the TGAs or something?
I forgot that was a thing. I might do that to help focus on studies lol.

Plank08

Smash Lord
I feel like a Dark Souls Rep is extremely underrated as a Bamco Rep and could surprise all of us, you could argue it’s influence is bigger than both tekken and tales of and for the FP it would be way more unique then both Heihachi or Lloyd

Dinoman96

Smash Master

Never.

Never EVER.

I think there's a difference between a character reveal just done through the DOJO!! or a regular Nintendo Direct, and a character reveal at a major event like the Game Awards or E3. Someone like Isabelle or Incineroar would never be the big reveal at E3, for example.

Persona 5 was a GOTY candidate in 2017, so revealing Joker at the Game Awards next year made sense, because that audience had familarity with the character. I just can't see them revealing someone like Reimu or KOS-MOS at a place like that.

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
That might sound dumb but would it even make sense from a marketing perspective to announce the last fighter pass character at the Game Awards over something else?
I mean most Smash fans have probably bought the pass by now and the ones who haven't are most likely never going to do so. Leaving the spotlight for a game like MP4 or BoTW2 (if there is anything to show yet) might be the over all smarter decision.
It's not like the Game Awards are the only occasion to show off a new character. Personally I'm speculating an anniversary presentation on December 7th where Sakurai goes over all of the game's achievements since launch + FP5 reveal.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Would you guys rather have the final character be Sora or Master Chief? I’ve gone back and forth on this so many times because I feel since Ultimates probably the last game that they should end with a bang
While Sora would be a cool addition, out of those two I definitely would pick Master Chief.

kylexv

Smash Master

Anyone?

Hello...?
I distinctly remember being excited for Olimar in Brawl believe it or not.

However, he has one of my least favorite movesets in the series, so I barely play him. He got a little more fun in Ultimate though.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I distinctly remember being excited for Olimar in Brawl believe it or not.

However, he has one of my least favorite movesets in the series, so I barely play him. He got a little more fun in Ultimate though.
I feel the same way about Duckhunt. Super excited to see a retro character like him get in Smash, but I hate his move set.

D

Deleted member

Anyone?

Hello...?
People are allowed to have their own opinions but if someone tells me that they think Olimar wasn't hype I have no desire to associate with them

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
While I played Olimar's games a minimum amount I was very happy to see his inclusion and enjoyed him a bunch in Brawl.
Not so much after his changes in Smash 4 and Ultimate but there are tons more fun characters to play now so thats okay. :lol:

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings

Never.

Never EVER.

THIS IS DLC.

Sakurai/Nintendo ended Sm4sh with motherf****n BAYONETTA.

Fighter #5 is gonna be a big one. Watch.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Let's switch gears. How does a representative from Falcom sound like? It is one of the big three JRPG companies back then alongside Square and Enix. We got Cloud and Hero who each represent one half of Square-Enix; it would be nice to get someone from Falcom that completes the trio.
Fans of Bandai Namco's RPGs would like a word with you.

But yeah, I'd be down for Falcom. I think they'd put in Ys first, but I'd be happy with pretty much any Trails content, even if it was just the Terry song treatment and nothing else.

For picks... I'd prefer Estelle, but, as I said, Adol probably has better chances.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I wasn't saying a Smash reveal at TGA must mean a western character or a character who only appeals to the western audience. But as someone said I can't see characters like KOS-MOS or Reimu being announced there.
Most likely scenario for a Smash reveal there is a character with worlwide appeal in general, and if we got a Joker 2.0 in terms of an unexpected character it would be a character from a franchise that's in it's peak of popularity, like Joker. The most similar character to him I can imagine is 2B.

Bayo ain't a global pick and was pretty niche too.
Perspectives.
For me was really big, like Joker.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

Anyone?

Hello...?
Pikmin 1 and 2 are some of my favorite GameCube games, and I loved playing as Olimar in Brawl. He was one of my best characters in one-on-one matches.

I dropped him after he lost Pikmin in 4, sadly.

D

Deleted member

I wasn't saying a Smash reveal at TGA must mean a western character or a character who only appeals to the western audience. But as someone said I can't see characters like KOS-MOS or Reimu being announced there.
Most likely scenario for a Smash reveal there is a character with worlwide appeal in general, and if we got a Joker 2.0 in terms of an unexpected character it would be a character from a franchise that's in it's peak of popularity, like Joker. The most similar character to him I can imagine is 2B.

Perspectives.
For me was really big, like Joker.
2B would gain the nuttiest reactions. It's crossed over with Final Fantasy and Soul Calibur, and it's been globally well received. I'd dig her.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Well he did say "Not JUST recognisable" so it doesn't mean being recognisable should be completely unaccounted for when deciding a character. It's just a lower priority than being fun to play.

That's a pretty vague question. What would be included?
In my mind, a Luigi’s Mansion 3 pack would include King Boo as the main character, Gooigi as a bonus echo of Luigi, an elevator tour through the Last Resort as the stage, a few mii costumes, and several spirits like E Gadd, Polterpup, Hellen Graveley, and some of the other ghosts from LM3

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
THIS IS DLC.

Could it not be another Corrin of DLC, or Incineroar that's at the end because it's the most underwhelming, though?

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
How would you all feel if there was an entirely Luigi’s Mansion 3 themed pack? Not pass but just pack
In my mind, a Luigi’s Mansion 3 pack would include King Boo as the main character, Gooigi as a bonus echo of Luigi, an elevator tour through the Last Resort as the stage, a few mii costumes, and several spirits like E Gadd, Polterpup, Hellen Graveley, and some of the other ghosts from LM3
I'd be cool with it but I'd question why this was decided in the first place.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
How would you all feel if there was an entirely Luigi’s Mansion 3 themed pack? Not pass but just pack
Although I would be disappointed and I never played Luigi's Mansion a day in my life, I would buy that sh*t in a heartbeat because every year is the year of Luigi and the guy is probably why Bros. is in the title.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
THIS IS DLC.

Bayonetta was also Revealed after Ryu and CLOUD. in comparison, she wasn't as big

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Ah okay, I'd give it a resounding "eh". First Party characters just seem underwhelming compared to what kinds of third party characters we could see.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't think I'll be excited for another Mario enemy and clone after them: :ultdaisy::ultpiranha:

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Ah okay, I'd give it a resounding "eh". First Party characters just seem underwhelming compared to what kinds of third party characters we could see.
Maybe. But I’d reckon most Smash players and people who have played the series since it’s debut have a much stronger connection to Nintendo characters than third party characters.

Don’t get me wrong, I love third party characters and I’m excited to see some more, but there are tons of fan requested first party characters that still haven’t made the cut yet that’d be more exciting to me than a character from a series I don’t play because I only own Nintendo consoles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom