• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I honestly think that Erdrick, Eight and Solo should be in the banner.

So here's a fun topic what assist trophies would you guys want to break free and become playable let's limit it to 5
1. Alucard
2. Issac
3. Takamaru
4. Shadow
5. Bomber Man
- Isaac
- Lyn
- Alucard
- Skull Kid
- Ashley/Waluigi/Bomberman

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Sabi's comments:

image0-8.jpg

image0-4.png

This just feels like another "I don't know" to me

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So here's a fun topic what assist trophies would you guys want to break free and become playable let's limit it to 5
1. Alucard
2. Issac
3. Takamaru
4. Shadow
5. Bomber Man
1. Midna (Zelda is LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG overdue for characters at this point, and Hyrule Warriors should have made it explicit that there's more to the series than variations on Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf)

2. Isaac (it seemed like such a missed opportunity to bring him back only to stick him back into the assist trophy role - I haven't played much of Golden Sun, but even I can see the mountains of potential)

3. Sukapon (it seems fitting to bring back the main character of Nintendo's first fighting game as a playable character in Nintendo's big fighting game crossover)

4. Saki (not in Smash Ultimate, but he's still an assist trophy - the gameplay of Sin & Punishment seems like it would translate well into Smash)

5. Bomberman (it's Bomberman)

SKX31

Smash Master
Well, well, well. If I may interrupt. Got another China update: this time Tencent updated Nintendo Switch's Weibo (Chinese Twitter) for the first time in three months. The account said (translation by the Twitter account Chinese Nintendo): "Hi Everyone! It's been 3 months since ChinaJoy, and we miss you a lot. Currently, work for the Chinese edition of Nintendo Switch is now actively underway.":

ChinaJoy is Shanghai's E3 pretty much. Yea, the place where Nintendo and Tencent had that press conference and presentation three months ago*. A couple of important points:

* The last presentation was announced ca. a week before it took place. Whether it takes place tomorrow or next week, this time will likely be on short notice.

* NSMBU was approved last week, the Switch Lite's been recently (preliminarily) approved and Tencent's hiring left and right for the Switch. They also showed off BOTW, Odyssey and Lets Go three months ago. Nintendo and Tencent will go for broke one way or the other, that's for sure. Aside from announcing the launch day, I'm personally also expecting further details on those games, them spotlighting games like Smash etc. One thing worth looking out for is whether the Chinese Switch will be region locked or not: A popular streamer who claims close ties with Tencent claimed that the Chinese Switch would not be region locked. Speculating here, I could see that. Steam's not affected by censorship at all, and with some fine-tuning and finagling Nintendo could actually pull off a similar stunt. Their games being mostly family friendly helps a lot.

* Smash is very likely to be advertised there IMHO. Ultimate's the biggest fighter ever and Nintendo's characters (alongside SNK's) are very well known there. I find it likely that Terry will feature in ads alongside Mario and Pikachu, and that's one of the reasons why I think FP will be bundled with Chinese Smash. Also, I strongly doubt FP5 will be shown here, but the off chance should be kept in mind.

Yes, Tencent is, as NonSpecificGuy said when NSMBU was approved, ****ing scary. No doubt. And Tencent's not popular with Chinese hardcore people either to say the least. However, interest in the Switch is high in China, and depending on how it goes the Switch (and Smash) might see a major boost from the Chinese release. As far as Tencent goes, their choices are likely either LoL (100 % owned) or Jonesy (40 %). Not superlikely (not with Sakurai's recent comments in mind), but I'm personally calling them contenders for Post-FP DLC. I strongly doubt anyone from CoD Mobile (yea, really), nor any characters from their indie studio NEXT Studios (Bladed Fury, Death Coming).

(*Sidenote: The penguin is the WeChat Penguin, Tencent's mascot. The Verge link does also have an interesting related article: How WeChat came to rule China).

Last edited:

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
Sabi's comments:

This just feels like another "I don't know" to me
Yeah, I don't buy the leak being fake just yet, especially with how ambiguous Sabi sounds about this, like you stated. If they say something along the lines of "we know the last wave of Mii outfits, and neither of those hats were listed on there" then I'll be more inclined to start doubting the CacoMallow leak.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
“most likely fake”

-Implies it could still be real.
-Sabi needs more clarification.

I’ll let doubt sit in, but this still isn’t a Grinch situation. Apparently insiders see Geno as a safe bet and have had serious discussions regarding Doomguy, so if it’s fake, meh, but I would love these mii hats.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
1. Alucard
2. Issac
3. Takamaru
4. Shadow
5. Bomber Man
1. Waluigi
2. Krystal
3. Bomberman
4. Alucard
5. Ashley or Color TV-15 (as Pong.)

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Assist Trophy Promotions?
1. Color TV-Game 15
2. Flies and Hand
3. The Moon
4. Rathalos
5. Isaac (for the fans)

D

Deleted member

I thought we all agreed to only listen to Sabi when she says **** with absolute certainty. I get that you can't always just say **** when you have inside info but Sabi always does this and it's not worth spending any time on "hmmm maybe?"
When does Sabi ever say anything with absolute certainty?

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I thought we all agreed to only listen to Sabi when she says **** with absolute certainty. I get that you can't always just say **** when you have inside info but Sabi always does this and it's not worth spending any time on "hmmm maybe?"
It's not that I listen to them it's just gotten to the point where it's funny to me. Every time I see the same non-responses I feel like that scene from Tom & Jerry where Tom laughs at a book.

Last edited:

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
I also think the leak is fake, but not because of Sabi. It's just that pretty much everything that gives the leak credibility can be explained somehow.

Models - Most likely edited from existing hats. My guess is that the Cacodemon hat is an edited Chomp hat.
Camera Angle - Can be modded.
Frozen timer - Could have been added in post.

I always thought the situation surrounding this leak is more interesting than the actual leak. Because if these Mii hats are mods, they would be the first Mii hat mods in Ultimate's history. You'd expect the first examples of such mods to be rough, but these are almost perfect. Pretty much on par with Nintendo's official Mii hats. They look good, work with the lighting system and don't display any glitches. If this is fake (and it most likely is), it's baffling that a modder managed to get it completely right the first time. This is what made me believe the leak was real at first.

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
I honestly find it kinda funny and I find it kinda sad that so far, Sabi's only potential claim to fame in the Smash community so far would have been leaking the Hero and Banjo at E3, but Nintendo held them at gunpoint right before they were about to spill the beans. Even then, I'm pretty sure Shinobi beat them to the punch with Banjo anyway.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Well, well, well. If I may interrupt. Got another China update: this time Tencent updated Nintendo Switch's Weibo (Chinese Twitter) for the first time in three months. The account said (translation by the Twitter account Chinese Nintendo): "Hi Everyone! It's been 3 months since ChinaJoy, and we miss you a lot. Currently, work for the Chinese edition of Nintendo Switch is now actively underway.":

ChinaJoy is Shanghai's E3 pretty much. Yea, the place where Nintendo and Tencent had that press conference and presentation three months ago*. A couple of important points:

* The last presentation was announced ca. a week before it took place. Whether it takes place tomorrow or next week, this time will likely be on short notice.

* NSMBU was approved last week, the Switch Lite's been recently (preliminarily) approved and Tencent's hiring left and right for the Switch. They also showed off BOTW, Odyssey and Lets Go three months ago. Nintendo and Tencent will go for broke one way or the other, that's for sure. Aside from announcing the launch day, I'm personally also expecting further details on those games, them spotlighting games like Smash etc. One thing worth looking out for is whether the Chinese Switch will be region locked or not: A popular streamer who claims close ties with Tencent claimed that the Chinese Switch would not be region locked. Speculating here, I could see that. Steam's not affected by censorship at all, and with some fine-tuning and finagling Nintendo could actually pull off a similar stunt. Their games being mostly family friendly helps a lot.

* Smash is very likely to be advertised there IMHO. Ultimate's the biggest fighter ever and Nintendo's characters (alongside SNK's) are very well known there. I find it likely that Terry will feature in ads alongside Mario and Pikachu, and that's one of the reasons why I think FP will be bundled with Chinese Smash. Also, I strongly doubt FP5 will be shown here, but the off chance should be kept in mind.

Yes, Tencent is, as NonSpecificGuy said when NSMBU was approved, ****ing scary. No doubt. And Tencent's not popular with Chinese hardcore people either to say the least. However, interest in the Switch is high in China, and depending on how it goes the Switch (and Smash) might see a major boost from the Chinese release. As far as Tencent goes, their choices are likely either LoL (100 % owned) or Jonesy (40 %). Not superlikely (not with Sakurai's recent comments in mind), but I'm personally calling them contenders for Post-FP DLC. I strongly doubt anyone from CoD Mobile (yea, really), nor any characters from their indie studio NEXT Studios (Bladed Fury, Death Coming).

(*Sidenote: The penguin is the WeChat Penguin, Tencent's mascot. The Verge link does also have an interesting related article: How WeChat came to rule China).
(Edited the image for mobile)

Honestly, I'm very divided right now. On one hand, this could be great for my girl Ahri and her fellow champions. On the other... "Damn, Tencent, you scary."

I hope that, if anything, Nintendo's situation remains kinda like Steam's... sounds like a good compromise to me.

So a China-exclusive presentation could be happening soon, then? I doubt anything major would get revealed (though we did get a few Japan-first trailers in Smash 4), but it could be very telling if the Pass is indeed bundled with the base game in the Chinese release. It would, in my eyes, increase the chances of some characters that are popular there - for next season, at least.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I honestly find it kinda funny and I find it kinda sad that so far, Sabi's only potential claim to fame in the Smash community so far would have been leaking the Hero and Banjo at E3, but Nintendo held them at gunpoint right before they were about to spill the beans. Even then, I'm pretty sure Shinobi beat them to the punch with Banjo anyway.
Wasn't that proven to be fake? Even then, judging how Sabi keeps using an alt account to talk about stuff would have the C&D enforced

Untouch

Smash Master
Yeah I started to feel the leak was fake since Nintendo didn't take the video down.
The circumstances are a bit weird though...

There's 3 people here.
Sabi
Source A
Source B

Sabi asked Source A if the leak was real, and originally they gave a response that made Sabi think it was real.
image0-1-png[1].png
Source B knows about Mii costumes, Source A doesn't. Source A asks Source B about the Mii costumes.

This was before Source A asked Source B though.
After Source A asked Source B, they thought the leak was fake.
Apparently Source A knows who FP5 is though.

unknown[1].png

Which begs the question, why did the source originally react as if it was real? It makes me think Geno or DOOMguy are #5, and the leak matches up with what they heard, but the leak itself isn't real. Maybe the Mii costume are fake.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

Very cool! Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
1. Lyn
2. Midna
3. Black Knight
4. Tiki
5. Bomberman

I'm having fun imagining Black Knight jumping around in his heavy armor.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Maybe Sabi's source knows FP5 but that doesn't mean his source knows for sure how many and which miii costumes will come with the next character.

It's not like Alph or the Koopalings are in it.
You have a point. I forgot about them. If you ask me I would include them as well, in the end they're different characters.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I hope the leak being discarded now means more light hearted discussions again. The board started to get that Grinch leak vibe again where it just became hostile between people who thought it was real and those who thought it was fake. I'm glad we're still in the dark again for #5.

Last edited:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
I'm just disappointed not a lot of people want Alucard upgraded he'd be dope but happy Isaac isn't forgotten
Eh... While it's about the most unlikely thing that could happen Castlevania-wise (outside of Konami making a proper console title [HEYO!]), I'd rather have Maria if we were getting another rep.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
So assuming Sabi is being sincere then I really dont see Doomslayer as fighter #5 and still I dont see a game awards reveal either. Everyone and their mum was speculating that. It's hardly a "leak"

I'm still going with my female picks for #5 namely KOS-MOS or Jill.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
So assuming Sabi is being sincere then I really dont see Doomslayer as fighter #5 and still I dont see a game awards reveal either. Everyone and their mum was speculating that. It's hardly a "leak"

I'm still going with my female picks for #5 namely KOS-MOS or Jill.
But why wouldn't be? it really doesn't make sense for there not to be one there. Especially since SSBU will likely be a GOTY nominee.

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
Models - Most likely edited from existing hats. My guess is that the Cacodemon hat is an edited Chomp hat.
So where's people modding existing hats? That could be a work-around for modding entire hats.
Even with this work-around, no one has yet attempted to debunk the leaks...
No... Blender, and still images with no gameplay proof whatsoever doesn't debunk anything.
Pretty sure adding even a pixel to the hats will increase the filesize to more than 2 Megs, crashing the game.
I'm still leaning towards Team Real, because there's just absolutely no way some random guy out there found out how to breakthrough something that is really not that interesting (After all, modding fighters into something else like Thanos, Shaggy or Goku looks better than having a Mii wear a Goku Hat).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom