• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newbie Mafia #1: Game over, Scum win!

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Newbie Game #1

(This game is only for people who have not played Mafia before at Smash World Forums! If you are currently in a game, you are ineligible to play, with the exception of 2 slots open to those who are willing to play & teach – read on for more information!)

Welcome to your first game of Mafia at Smash World Forums! Mafia is a fairly easy-to-learn game of strategy, debate, and deception that I’m sure you will all find fun and engaging. Mafia can get pretty complicated pretty quickly, but some of the most fun games use only the basics – lucky for you, as the most basic games are also the best way to learn and the easiest way to jump into a new hobby. If you end up liking the game, you will be completely prepared to join one of the other regularly hosted games in Decisive Games, as well as make connections and good friends with the slew of regular players we have. (which includes a large amount of debaters, broomers, and moderators... as well as totally awesome dGamers!)

The premise is simple: there are 7 of you who are townspeople, aka townies, the good guys; there 2 of who you are the mafia, aka scum, the bad guys. The scum know who each other are and can communicate at all times over AIM or PMs, while a townie can only trust him- or herself.

The game is divided into Day phases and Night phases. Starting with Day 1, the whole group will play, talk, debate, argue, accuse, defend, and diplomatically vote who they think is mafia. When a majority vote has been reached, that player will be lynched (killed off, eliminated) and you will find out if they were town or if they were mafia. Then it becomes Night 1, and the townies to go “sleep” while the mafia get together and choose someone to kill! Day 2 begins, you discover whom the mafia has killed at night, you regroup, and you hunt for the scum again! The townies win when they have lynched all the mafia, and the mafia win when they equal or outnumber the town (at this point, it is mathematically impossible for them to lose).

It might seem hard for the townies to win, but they also might have a trick or two up their collective sleeve. A cop is a townie who, during the night, can choose one player to investigate. If the cop lives through the night, he will be told if his target is town or mafia. A doctor is a townie who can choose one player to protect at night. If that player is targeted by a mafia nightkill, they will live through it! However, the town cannot trust just anyone who claims cop or doctor – they might be in the game, they might not, and they might just be mafia claiming to be cop or doctor to manipulate you!

However, the mafia may have a role to fight back against the town: the Mafia Roleblocker. Each night, this roleblocker can target a player, and if that player was a doctor, they will not protect, and if that player was a cop, their investigation will fail.

This is a game for 9 players, 7 of which are playing for their first time. The other 2 are Decisive Gamers who have volunteered to strive to play in a manner that is conducive to teaching – they will guide you through regular mafia logic and strategies; they will answer any questions that you might have about the way the game runs, explain common strategies, jargon or acronyms; and most importantly they will be polite and friendly. That said; do not expect them to go easy on you! They will play to win, but in a friendly manner. If they are town, they will try to lynch whom they think are mafia; if they are mafia, they will try to get the town to lynch each other. But they are here to explain the game and any questions you might have.

Please read the rules, and if you need more help or are curious for more knowledge, click on the Optional Reading links. If have any questions, they are probably answered in the rules or the Optional Reading, but feel free to ask the game moderator (Tom) anything you do not understand.

Optional Reading:
Newbie Guide: Introduction for new players.
Basic Rules: Reading these rules, along with the game's specific rules, will help you understand the game.
Common Roles: Includes a description of the roles both commonly and uncommonly found in Mafia.
Smashboards Mafia Archives: This archive includes examples of past Mafia games in Decisive Games.

The Rules:
  1. This game is a commitment! If you sign up to play, please have fun but please play until you die or the game is over! If you absolutely need to be replaced due to emergency, please let me know. I do not want nor expect anyone to ask for replacement.
  2. Editing your posts is not allowed.
  3. Do not use the colors red, blue, or lime. These colors are for everything the Game Moderator says, so you know when he added/edited/subtracted from a post!
  4. Unless you are mafia, you are not allowed to communicate to anyone about the game. This includes other players, dead players, and even people who are not playing. Keep everything a secret until the game is over. Talking with others about the game is considered cheating and you can be banned for it! (If you are mafia, of course, you are allowed to talk to your partner.) If you need to talk to someone, talk to the game moderator (Tom). He can listen to any problems you have.
  5. To vote for someone, simply type vote: name in bold. For example, if you wanted to vote for Evil Eye to be lynched, you would type vote: Evil Eye.
  6. To vote for someone else, please first unvote in bold, then vote your new target. For example, if you wanted to change your vote from Evil Eye to M3D, you would type unvote vote: M3D.
  7. When someone has been voted enough to be lynched (n/2 + 1 where n is the number of total players alive... a majority), I will post the lynch scene and the Day becomes Night. During Night, no one is allowed to post. If you are mafia, decide on the kill and send it to me via PM. If you are a cop or a doctor, send in your target via PM as well. When I have all the information, I will start the next Day.
  8. If you do not want to lynch anyone, you can vote for “No Lynch” as your target. If No Lynch gets a majority, the day will end without lynching anyone and will move into Night.
  9. Once you are dead, you are allowed to make only one more post, which should be simply you expressing your sadness that you are dead and cheering on your team. A classic example is “Bah go scum!” or “Bah go town!”
  10. Each Day will have a deadline of 2 real life weeks. Each Night will have a deadline of 2 real life days. When deadline hits during day, if someone does not have a majority, a No Lynch will occur. When deadline hits during night, if you have not sent in your night action, you will not make one. (big disadvantage!)
  11. Be polite. You are encouraged to be friendly, but sometimes you must go on the attack. You are allowed to express frustration, you are allowed to call someone’s logic “idiotic,” or call someone “stupid,” but do not get out of hand. This is a game, after all. Have fun.
  12. If you are one of the 2 Decisive Gamer veterans, I expect you to answer any game mechanic questions the new players ask. I also expect you to be polite and nice the entire game. Breaking this rule will result in your replacement without warning and I will have to have a talk with you on AIM. Though you are required to be thorough and help the new players learn the game, you are also getting to play another game outside of the queue!

This game follows what mafiascum called F11 format. This means that the game will be one of the following four setups, chosen at random (roles are always chosen at random as well):

• 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Cop, 1 Doctor, 5 Townies.
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies.
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Cop, 6 Townies.
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Doctor, 6 Townies.

The following are the Role PMs that will be sent out to the players:

Sent to 1 or 2 players said:
You are a Mafia Goon, along with your partner _________. Your goal is to eliminate the pro-town players so that only your side remain; you win if this happens. During the Day, try to blend in with the rest of the players, and get someone lynched (if that someone is not your partner or yourself, that will make things much easier). Each night, you may send a player's name to me; that player will be killed during the night (decide together with your partner!). You may talk with your partner at any time on AIM or PM, but please send me the transcripts.
Sent to 0 or 1 player said:
You are the Mafia Roleblocker, along with your partner _________ (who simply a Goon). Your goal is to eliminate the pro-town players so that only your side remains; you win if this happens. During the Day, try to blend in with the rest of the players, and get someone lynched (if that someone is not your partner or yourself, that will make things much easier). Each night, you may send a player's name to me; that player will be roleblocked, and will not make any special action (doc will fail to protect, cop will fail to investigate). You may talk with your partner at any time on AIM or PM, but please send me the transcripts.
You are the Doctor, and you can protect people from harm. Each Night, you may send me a choice via PM of who to protect; if they come under attack by the Mafia, they will live. You win if the scum are eliminated, so choose wisely at Night, and try to lynch correctly during the Day.

Note: Doctors are 100% effective in Newbie Games (the person you protect will never die on the night they are protected). You may not protect yourself.
You are the Cop, and you can tell good from bad. Each Night, you may send a player's name to me; I will let you know if your investigation shows that they are Mafia or Town. You win if the scum are eliminated, so choose wisely at Night, and lynch well during the Day.

Note: Cops always get a correct result in Newbie Games (no sanity issues). You cannot investigate yourself.
Sent to 5 - 7 players said:
You are a Townie, and you've got no special powers at Night. No investigations, no protection, no gun to shoot people. Your only powers are the ability to post, vote, and think. Help lynch Mafia during the Day, and you will win the game, along with the rest of the Town.
Alive:
2. Chaco, mafia roleblocker, survives.

Dead:
x. XACE-K, townie, lynched Day 1.
x. Teran17, doctor, killed Night 1.
x. airgemini, townie, lynched Day 2.
x. (dGamer) Marshy, townie, killed Night 2.
x. SkylerOcon, mafia goon, lynched Day 3
x. (dGamer) frozenflame751, townie, killed Night 3.
x. MenoUnderwater, cop, lynched Day 4.
x. TUSM, townie, killed in end-game.

Events:
Day 1 begins!
Day 1 ends, XACE-K lynched!
Day 2 begins, Teran17 killed!
Day 2 ends, airgemini lynched!
Day 3 begins, Marshy killed!
Day 3 ends, SkylerOcon lynched!
Day 4 begins, frozenflame751 killed!
Day 4 ends, MenoUnderwater lynched, TUSM end-gamed!

Chaco

Never Logs In
I'll join. Ha, I saw before you reminded me Tom.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I'll join. Ha, I saw before you reminded me Tom.
I had just clicked on my user CP to backtrack and find out who else wanted to play, and I noticed the bumped thread. Curse you, Chaco! No, but seriously, I'm glad you're interested.

am I too vet to be in this game? o.o
Anyone who is interested in vetting, please talk to me on AIM :)

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Ok hotshot, sign me me up.

XACE-K

Smash Master
I'll join. These Mafia games have always interested me but I was too lazy to join them.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Gah, seems I'm 20 minutes too late. Well, if one of the above is actually one of the designated dGamers, and there's still room, I'd like to express my interest in joining.

I'd like to join. :p

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
He can probably open the game up to more people, I don't know thathe was expecting so many people to be interested.

Handorin

Smash Hero
/subscribe so I can watch.

Have fun guys. I'm surprised there are so many new guys out there. I needed you for TLI mafia replacements. >_>

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
I don't think frozenflame shoudl play int his one. he might scare everyone. XD

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Wow! :D I'm so happy about the turnout! Only open for half a day and its full!

I will extend the setup to 9 players so that you can all play. Doing this adds 2 vanilla townies to the game, and will possibly change one of the mafia goons to a Mafia Roleblocker (note: I will make sure all of this is thoroughly explained!)

Everyone who has signed up and is new will be able to play.

frozenflame751 is your first vet player, Marshy is your second one.

When I get home from class tonight, I will send out role PMs and start the game!

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Day 1 begins!

The town of New Bee was a historically peaceful town, filled with butchers and bakers and candlestick makers who all worked together as a cohesive civilization, providing stabilization and unity for years and years. The New Bee High School Newbies would win the basketball championship every year, the New Bee Fire Department would have a biannual bake sale to raised money for new hoses, and the town was so pacifistic that they even boycotted the possibly-dangerous and thoroughly backwards holiday of Halloween, opting instead to hold a festival of parades they called “Neewollah.” Indeed the town of New Bee was peaceful at worst and eden at best, but their utopia was about to get its u-topi-owned by the mafia. Yes, the mafia. Scum had infiltrated the fair city and systematically planned to dismantle this fair city from the inside out, starting with the most important stabilizing factor of New Bee – its city council! And this is the situation you find yourselves in today. In this room sits nine people, seven of which are townie council members (townies!) and two of which are the unwelcome guests (mafia!). You will vote to publically execute one member of the group each “Day,” and then you will all go back to your homes for the “Night.” That sounds like the best plan, right? Why simply look at everyone’s’ drivers licenses to determine who is an outsider when you can simply lynch your suspects? That‘s what they did in the ancient land of Tomthur, and that’s how we’re going to do it today!

(As a quick reminder, the format of the game has changed with the addition of two players. As a 9 person game, Newbie Mafia #1 will follow an F11 format, an explanation of which can be found edited into the first post where the old C9 format explanation was. Long story short, however, is the addition of 2 vanilla townies, and the possible change of one Mafia Goon to a Mafia Roleblocker. Please check the first post for further details.)

Day 1 begins!
With 9 alive, it takes a vote of 5 to lynch.
The deadline has been set for July 6, Noon EST!

Note: I forgot to add this to the rules, but it is very important. You are not allowed to edit your posts.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
ok so obligatory advice

HEY DOC: stay hidden and avoid hinting at your role. i suggest not claiming unless that's the only way you can wiggle out of your lynch. if the roleblocker finds out your role then your power is useless unless he opts to block the cop from investigating

HEY COP: stay hidden and avoid hinting at your role. i think the best way to go about being the cop is not claiming until you've got a good number of investigations down at which point telling us your results will help us narrow the lynch pool significantly or lead us to a mafia member. again i guess you gotta claim if you're about to be lynched but avoid that obviously

so yeah avoid claiming and whatnot even if you're a vanilla. if you do then you narrow the mafia's list on who isn't cop/doc which are probably their biggest targets

hey frozen wuddya think of my advice?

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Papa and mama were layin' in bed!
Mama rolled over this is what she said!

Breaking the silence is my job!
Let's get together and lynch the mob!

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
The city of New Bee... IS UNDER ATTACK.

Note: I forgot to add this to the rules, but it is very important. You are not allowed to edit your posts.

Last edited by Tom; Today at 05:05 PM.
I found this very amusing.

So, question, how is the first day handled concerning voting? There's not much info in the beginning - is it just random accusations?

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Papa and mama were layin' in bed!
Mama rolled over this is what she said!

Breaking the silence is my job!
Let's get together and lynch the mob!
Rhyming is fun!
Now let's start talking before one of us gets shot by a gun!

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Marshy is probably scum.
I think we should lynch him.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Up in the morning to the rising sun!
Gotta run all day till the runnings done!

Ho Chi Minh is a son of a *****!
Got the blueballs, the crabs, and the 7 year itch!

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Marshy is probably scum.
I think we should lynch him.
I think Teran has a point. Experts with dGames would be more likely to be given a mafia role, because they would know how to fit in better. Adversely, he might not have given them roles and mafia members because that would be too obvious.

Either way, I think that at least one of the veterans is a mobster.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Oh yeah. The 'he' in the third setence is Tom, not Teran. Though it was obvious, it was a bit of a grammar fail.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Either way, I think that at least one of the veterans is a mobster.
I'd actually think of them is a townie, as they have more of a chance of staying in the game longer and helping. And then the other is a mobster as an example for the newbie mobster.

One vet townie, one vet mobster.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I think it's MLG_JV guys.
Let's lynch him.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I think it's MLG_JV guys.
Let's lynch him.
Well you know...

Administrators were once Adninjastrators.

Meaning, Admins = Ninjas

Ninjas are good at blending in.

The Mafia has to blend in with the townies.

Meaning Mafia = Ninjas

Therefor, Mafia = Admins

JV is clearly a mobster.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I'd actually think of them is a townie, as they have more of a chance of staying in the game longer and helping. And then the other is a mobster as an example for the newbie mobster.

One vet townie, one vet mobster.
This definitely makes the most sense, imho.

No, no, no Skyler. You have it all wrong. It can't be JV, he's simply the marionette. It's MLG Tech. Lynch them.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
This means that the game will be one of the following four setups, chosen at random (roles are always chosen at random as well):
though i thought tom would make me and frozen both mafia before the game started too

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
That makes sense. I think now all we have to do is wait for more people to post.
This is all under the assumption that the roles were pre-planned to be helpful. It could be random of course.

If not, we can always imagine we have a 50/50 chance of getting a mobster by targeting the vets. :bee:

Chaco

Never Logs In
If not, we can always imagine we have a 50/50 chance of getting a mobster by targeting the vets. :bee:
At this point we have no other way to judge. There is no basis yet to our assumptions. We have a high chance of lynching one of our own, with the slight chance that we get a mobster.

I'd say the safest bet for now is no lynch.

Top Bottom