• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~***New Zelda Techniques: "Love Jump" & "Farore's Boost"***~

Arean

Smash Ace
u can do it as long she is tumbling :p I suggest that u use it in a proper time, and this counts as Zelda's second jump. So better prepare that farores wind with correct timing.

Luthien

Smash Ace
The direction is based on the momentum you are hit. It technically gives you a raise so you can farores better
So... wait.

If it's based on the direction you're sent flying, how does this HELP you get back onstage? If I'm sent flying off the stage to the right, won't using this technique send me flying FARTHER to the right? How does this not make recovery harder (from what I've exeprimented with using this technique with FW by accident, you can sort of slow down the momentum by holding which way you want to go... unless, of course, you want to go the direction you were sent flying. Then you go WAY far)?

Also, Zelda's ordinary second jump may not have great height, but it has wonderful horizontal distance (which is what you want as Zelda is usually sent flying upwards due to her lightness). Also, FW is almost always enough to make up for any lack of height Zelda achieves with her second jump anyway. In my opinion, Zelda's second jump best compliments her moveset. If the choice were mine, I would never give Zelda Sheik's second jump, despite it's wonderful vertical distance.

What I'm wondering is, how is Love Jumping better for recovery than Zelda's ordinary second jump? If you're sent flying, you generally don't need (or even want) to gain any more height, you just want to get close enough to the stage to FW back. Zelda's jump does this incredibly well. And if the Love Jump sends you flying the direction you were hit, isn't that infinitely worse than Zelda's normal second jump anyway?

Iris

Smash Ace
Can't you change the direction you're tumbling in though? As long as you're still tumbling on your way back to the stage you should be able to use this out of the animation and gain extra height while reflecting anything that could hinder recovery. It's limited use, but certainly not useless.

kitsuneko345

Smash Ace
*sending Sundance lots of apple pies on Pi Day, as
I think I can answer that question for you, Luthien.

Let's say you get hit by a move that knocks you far enough to not kill you by using DI but making it necessary for you to use Farore's Wind. If you kept yourself in the tumbling animation (hitstun, for you technical people), you can DI yourself toward the stage after the knockback. You can then use the Love Jump as a means of getting back on stage. It's doubles as a move that damages your opponent if they attack at close range and triples as a reflector for those projectile spammers.

Luthien

Smash Ace
I think I can answer that question for you, Luthien.

Let's say you get hit by a move that knocks you far enough to not kill you by using DI but making it necessary for you to use Farore's Wind. If you kept yourself in the tumbling animation (hitstun, for you technical people), you can DI yourself toward the stage after the knockback. You can then use the Love Jump as a means of getting back on stage. It's doubles as a move that damages your opponent if they attack at close range and triples as a reflector for those projectile spammers.
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks, Kitsuneko and Iris. I suppose I'll find some time to try it later.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I just played around with the love jump today, I really love it. When i used it, I don't think i drifted very far in the original knockback direction, it seemed to cancel some of my horizontal momentum, but maybe i'm wrong. Against Pit, Pit would keep shooting and get hit by his own arrows, trying to attack me while i was love jumping.
Kudos to whoever named it.
i didn't know that ice block knockback is so different from other knock back. Normally I would rule out the idea completely, but she can love jump off of Pit's arrows, which are really weak.
It's moot, after i messed with it, it seemed pretty clear that it's not something you could jam in between ice blocks.

If anyone else here is using the Wii Classic controller, I've found a really good config for this. Down control pad and side control pad, assigned for special and jump. The loss of taunts hurts, but it is really easy to just hit the diagonal on the pad.

You could do it on the gamecube controller, but I don't know how easy that control pad is to work with. The wii classic pad is nice and soft..

Arean

Smash Ace
Yay! I really love the name as well... I was the one who named that. I was thinking Nayru's Jump or Love jump but I think love jump was agreed by a lot of people

I use the GC controller since its the most comfortable for me. I never owned a classic controller so I cant tell if its soft..

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
So... wait.

If it's based on the direction you're sent flying, how does this HELP you get back onstage? If I'm sent flying off the stage to the right, won't using this technique send me flying FARTHER to the right?
It seems useful if you're below the stage and somebody floaty is trying to edge guard and attakcs you near the bottom.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I think doing the Love Jump with Farore's Wind might work a bit easier for recoveries. Especially, for example, after getting D-Smashed by another Zelda.

iirc, I did this a couple of weeks ago. It is possible to go farther than the regular initial animation when you haven't used your second jump, but not as far as the Love Jump.

I'll do some testing shortly.

S2

Smash Lord
Intersting.

I'm glad we now know how to do it consistently. I wonder if it'll end up being useful in real matches. I'll try it out.

Krii

Smash Journeyman
During a move seems rather ambiguous, like can this terch be used during a lightning kicked (yes, kicked) animation?

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Does anyone know if the tumble animation ends after a certain amount of time? If not, you can use it for a surprise recovery from beneath the edge of the stage. Or, on stages with drop-through platforms.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
you have to do the move your own knockback. when you are getting knocked back. There's actually a timing to it, you can't do it at any point during your knockback. (the window is pretty fat though).

once you get hit, spam the input and you'll do it.

@SinkingHigher: with little exception, the correct time in knockback is only at a specific point, and you have little control over it. so, sadly, i've discovered it's pretty impossible to play around with.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
>:

This seems like such a great technique. There has to be some kind of use for it. We can't just let it go to waste. ):

I guess it could be used as a quick escape to places with high ledges, like the platforms on the far right of Temple or Norfair.

Rikuo

Smash Cadet
I suspect this will mostly be a recovery move.

Is it possible to do the Love Jump if you already used up your double jump? Say I double jumped, then got hit by Pit's Arrow, can I Love Jump after or is it too late for that?

If I can do it after using my second jump, is it then possible to use multiple Love Jumps without landing, granted I am being bombarded with arrows?

Arean

Smash Ace
the love jump counts as ur second jump... so you cant love jump if you already used your second jump...

Dihan

Smash Apprentice
You also can't love jump twice in a row, which should be obvious as it takes you out of the tumbling animations.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
the only use i've found is one or two moments when i wish my double jump was higher.... then i make it so

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
As a little side note, I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, and I'm a little lazy to check...

If you use Farore's Wind while in the tumbling animation (no jumping necessary) you can get quite the boost. It's 2, possible 3 times larger than the "boost" you get when you jump ONCE, then FW, and you can control the direction pretty easily.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
it hasn't been mentioned I don't think. If enough of us can replicate it it ought to go in the FW thread.

Krii

Smash Journeyman
ive actually done the FW jump multiple times when I practiced love jumping. this ''Wind Jump'' (just going by how love jump was named) i believe requires the same if not similar criteria that love jump requires.

Luthien

Smash Ace
it hasn't been mentioned I don't think. If enough of us can replicate it it ought to go in the FW thread.
Already in there, just not in the updated post. I knew I was forgetting something.

At any rate, we already discussed "Wind Jumping" (is that what we're calling it now?) in the thread in the first few pages. I'll update it to the original post some time soon.

Arean

Smash Ace
love jump looks neat, I'm just not sure how useful it really is.
It became useful for me when I tried getting back on stage, someone threw a projectile and i evaded/reflected it with the love jump. It also helps me gain a certain height so I can farores wind better

I'm having trouble trying to do this.
Its easy for me because I've set my L button to jump, so during the tumbling animation I press L then B, not at the same time but L->B in quick succession

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
When you press them at the same time, you'll notice it rarely works.
If you test it out a bit, when you press jump JUST before B, it works. So, what you want to do is begin the jump, but before the jump animation begins, use B.

In other words:
You can special out of a jump, but you can't jump out of a special.

JrdnS

Smash Ace
cool. but will it be useful in tournaments or regular matches because it has to be pit vs. zelda.

goodkid

Smash Lord
cool. but will it be useful in tournaments or regular matches because it has to be pit vs. zelda.
Nope, this can be used against any attack, against any character.

Also I've found a way to do this with Farore's Wind, I'll post a vid soon. I'll name it "Farore's Boost" for some creativity.

Arean

Smash Ace
it doesnt have to be pit and zelda.. .read the explanation in the first post

Krii

Smash Journeyman
yeah it's like lucas' Zap Jump AT. You have to press B IMMEDIATELY AFTER you jump. but not at the same time.

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
Wait, since Zelda has some trouble when she's above her opponent, wouldn't using LJ or FB be kinda leading to Zelda demise?

Stiputation

Smash Journeyman
I find this move somewhat useful. (the love jump that is)
I sometimes use it to get away from a cluster (meaning three brawlers ganging up on me)

Not to mention, its always handy for that extra boost when needing to get back on a stage. The Love Jump + UpB = Epic Recovery. Plus, its just plain good for mind games. I love it when people say; "WOAH! HOW THE **** DID SHE JUST DO THAT!?"

Hawt rite? ;3

Top Bottom