• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A New to Sheik? Look here to learn how to get started/Need help with Sheik? Ask your questions here.

Cold_Ninja_Emperor

Smash Cadet
NNID
clauderson
3DS FC
1134-8450-3228
I believe Nair to bouncing fish as well as needles (after a full hop?) to bouncing fish are still some options. Also tomahawk to Up-Smash in some cases. I'm still fairly new to Sheik so these may not be accurate but for the most part, these are the ones I've been hearing about the most
ok thanks

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
How reliable is ff uair > sweetspot usmash on tall characters? I can land it pretty consistently in training mode (again, on tall characters), but it doesn't seem very safe...

D

Deleted member

While testing some mods with the awful GamePad + Default Controls i discovered a faster way to do some throws :
:GCR:(run):GCZ:(grab):GCCL:(tilt the stick in the opposite direction of the run):GCCN:(release the stick) = Fast backthrow

_Jack_

Smash Cadet
Hello Sheik Mains!

I'm a Rosalina and Shulk main who has been searching for another character to cover a few matchups I tend to struggle in. They are Cloud, Meta Knight, and, to a lesser extent, Pikachu. When I asked around for advice on a new character, Sheik was one of the characters that was suggested and I'm heavily considering trying to pick her up. Zelda: Ocarina of Time is in my top 3 favorite games and I love the idea of playing a character from the OOT world. From what I've read, I'm lead to believe that she will help me with these matchups quite well and she's obviously a very viable pick in competitive play.

The only drawback I see to using Sheik is that I am a very, VERY defensive player. There's not an ounce of aggression in my playstyle. My gameplay revolves around spacing my opponent out, baiting them into doing different things until they make a mistake, then capitalizing on that mistake. I rarely ever approach my opponent unless I have to (ex. in the Rosa-Cloud MU where Cloud gets a free limit if you don't approach) and my combos/strings are usually very simple and lack depth or complexity due to the fact that they get the job done.

I've watched a lot of (post patch) Sheik play over the last couple of days and it's very clear to me that Sheik is a character who requires getting in the opponent's face and complex combos/strings due to her very low damage output. It seems like the exact opposite of my playstyle, but I feel playing a character with a playstyle I'm not comfortable with will help me out in the long run. I'll be able to learn a lot more about how aggressive play works and what goes through a player's mind when playing an aggressive game. I feel Sheik will not only help me with my troublesome matchups, but also extend my knowledge of offensive gameplay and help me to become better at the game overall.

I know Sheik has a very high skill floor, so I'm not expecting to instantly become amazing with her. Where should I begin when trying to learn Sheik? There's so much to this character and I have no idea where to start. So, what would you Sheik mains recommend? Any sort of advice would be much appreciated!

OathToAwesome

Smash Cadet
Hello Sheik Mains!
[...]
First thing to clear up: Sheik can and will be very defensive, as needles are a potent tool. Sheik is amazing because if you ever have a percent lead, you can outcamp virtually anyone (barring maybe Cloud if your lead isn't notably large). You can simply play the neutral until you have a percent lead and then needle camp, racking up damage and controlling the pace of the match. Needles are especially good if your opponent loves to throw in unnecessary movements, as jumps and landings are easily punishable via needles.

Now that my needle rant is over, general Sheik tidbits to start off with:
  • Know your frame data. Fair on shield is very good (only -2 frames if done with proper timing), so with a knowledge of jab mixups you can do things like fair an opponent's shield, and if they're shield-grab-happy you can jab the startup of their grab and get a free punish.
  • Ftilt or fair OoS are usually your best OoS punishes on high aerials or moves that aren't that safe (ie other tilts). Shield grab is obviously also good.
  • Fthrow into Bouncing Fish works on most of the cast until about 50 or 60 percent if you SH immediately after the fthrow and change the angle of BF on reaction to their DI. This percent range is a bit lower on certain characters like Jiggs, Luigi, and Yoshi, though (only until about 30% at most).
  • Don't recover predictably (mix up when you use your double jump and/or BF), and don't do unsafe things off the ledge. BF and Vanish are both very unsafe if you land onstage with them, so always go for the ledge.

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
Can anyone tell me why I constantly get a fair without a hitbox any time I short hop fastfall fair with cstick?
Falling fair, of course.
I have no idea why it's been happening and honestly can't tell whether top Sheiks fastfall at all in neutral so I've just been doing normal short hops and falling fairs without any fastfalls(unless doing rising fairs)

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Can anyone tell me why I constantly get a fair without a hitbox any time I short hop fastfall fair with cstick?
Falling fair, of course.
I have no idea why it's been happening and honestly can't tell whether top Sheiks fastfall at all in neutral so I've just been doing normal short hops and falling fairs without any fastfalls(unless doing rising fairs)
You sound like you're doing it too close to the ground. Do it slightly earlier.

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
So at the peak of my short hop? or a bit later
when I do it high I feel like I can never hit the short characters like Pikachu/Diddy/Kirby well so I was wondering if there was a way to get the fastfall and not deal with the "no hitbox" thing I keep experiencing vs shorter characters.

Last edited:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
So at the peak of my short hop? or a bit later
when I do it high I feel like I can never hit the short characters like Pikachu/Diddy/Kirby well so I was wondering if there was a way to get the fastfall and not deal with the "no hitbox" thing I keep experiencing vs shorter characters.
basically to do a landing fair while fastfalling u have to fastfall first then do the fair. u cant fastfall while doing an aerial if you weren't fastfalling beforehand.

assuming u have tilt stick, do the following: jump, fastfall at the apex of ur jump (u can buffer this), then fair on the c stick. it's not a frame perfect input, what's a frame perfect input is inputting fair on the last frame possible before the point where the hitbox doesn't come out, you can never tell whether you did it right or not either which kinda blows.

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
Okay, perfect, thank you. I've been trying to fastfall afterwards or during which is probably the issue.
I owe you one man.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Okay, perfect, thank you. I've been trying to fastfall afterwards or during which is probably the issue.
I owe you one man.
np, if u wanna see how it should look like check out this vid:

i do it a LOT in this, just in the first 10 secs of the 1st match i think i did it like 3 times lol

Last edited:

McWaffles

Still grinding to be decent.
Slippi.gg
JAKE#988
NNID
TheMcWaffles
3DS FC
2337-7097-9360
Switch FC
SW-6907-3206-1991
Hey guys, I'm currently in the lab and I'm having difficult trouble with Crouch Sliding.. I do the backflip after my dash forward and do the crouchwalk input but I don't slide at all, I just turn around. Any tips? Thanks.

Simikins

Nerfed
3DS FC
0447-8060-8710
Hey guys, I'm currently in the lab and I'm having difficult trouble with Crouch Sliding.. I do the backflip after my dash forward and do the crouchwalk input but I don't slide at all, I just turn around. Any tips? Thanks.
You don't need to do the backflip, it's better to jump forwards. Just jump, and when you land press diagonally down and backwards.

McWaffles

Slippi.gg
JAKE#988
NNID
TheMcWaffles
3DS FC
2337-7097-9360
Switch FC
SW-6907-3206-1991
You don't need to do the backflip, it's better to jump forwards. Just jump, and when you land press diagonally down and backwards.
What about moving left? I can't seem to land it at all :p moving right however, works perfectly.
=

McWaffles

Slippi.gg
JAKE#988
NNID
TheMcWaffles
3DS FC
2337-7097-9360
Switch FC
SW-6907-3206-1991
Ah, I should've said, only works when jumping right and sliding left. It's weird. Doesn't work if you jump left and try to slide right.
Ah alrighty. Thanks so much dude :)

McWaffles

Slippi.gg
JAKE#988
NNID
TheMcWaffles
3DS FC
2337-7097-9360
Switch FC
SW-6907-3206-1991
So I'm going to EVO in a couple of months, so the grind begins. What should a basic practice routine that you guys use? Like for an example
- Practice Combos
- Dthrow to Uair
- Fair to ftilt x2 to Fthrow to Bouncing Fish (at low %)
etc.
- Practice Edgeguarding
- Practice Recovery
Just for an example, I need ideas on what I should do! Thanks.

Brown NITE

Smash Apprentice
I can't fricken get rising fair to bouncing fish to combo. The hell can I be doing wrong D: also how can I do full hop fair and hit a grounded opponent.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I can't fricken get rising fair to bouncing fish to combo. The hell can I be doing wrong D: also how can I do full hop fair and hit a grounded opponent.
It only hits tall characters consistently

Try buffering bf asap

Brown NITE

Smash Apprentice
Do I have to press the button again after bouncing fish to get it out faster or something or should it be working without it

Lu?3Z9

Smash Rookie
In my hometown, we have a very small scene. By small, I mean three people. One (Mains an aggressive Toon Link) of them hates playing against my Sheik, so he told me to never play her again or he would never play ME again. The other guy (Sonic main), who was interested in keeping the group together, banned me from playing Sheik. However, I cannot do well with any other characters, and I simply do not have as much fun even when I win. Any advice?

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
In my hometown, we have a very small scene. By small, I mean three people. One (Mains an aggressive Toon Link) of them hates playing against my Sheik, so he told me to never play her again or he would never play ME again. The other guy (Sonic main), who was interested in keeping the group together, banned me from playing Sheik. However, I cannot do well with any other characters, and I simply do not have as much fun even when I win. Any advice?
Bro, play who you want. If you're better than they are, they're just gonna have to get used to losing. Don't let sore losers affect your game. Also, don't double post.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Sheik is not even near being that good LMAO

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Big question. How should I DI when fighting Sheik?

Specifically, when she uses FTilts, DTilts, Fairs, FThrow, BThrow, and any of her other setups if I missed any.

Simikins

Nerfed
3DS FC
0447-8060-8710
Big question. How should I DI when fighting Sheik?

Specifically, when she uses FTilts, DTilts, Fairs, FThrow, BThrow, and any of her other setups if I missed any.
I guess depends on the situation and what the sheik is going for.

Ftilts, for say an ftilt juggle DI away so they have to PP them. If they don't you'll eat less ftilts than without DI before eating a fair string or a grab.

Dtilt:
If sheik is using it to extend ftilt juggles DI away should get you out of it unless they PP or you aren't at that high of a %.
If it's tipper dtilt to try and kill with upair, mixup between left and right, and hope they don't react :p

Fthrow:
Again, depends what they're going for.
For fthrow BF at low %s di up and towards sheik. That'll normally avoid the BF (though ike is pretty big so it'll probably work for longer than on say, mario). If they catch on they'll go for fair or nair after fthrow so mixup between up and towards, and down and away.
At high %s when sheik is looking for the 50/50 (more like a 25/25/25/25 but w/e lol) you want to mixup between away, and up and towards. If you DI away they'll go for BF which you should be able to airdodge. If you DI in they'll try kill with upair so pick your poison.

Backthrow should never lead into anything true, so just treat it as a 50/50 at high %s, mixing up between airdodge and jump/attack.

djbenny89

Smash Rookie
Quick question, when doing fair strings, say across smashville, I am having a little trouble getting the input sequence for the fairs. I have tried rising fairs and falling fairs and it seems rising works much better, I'm curious if you guys would recommend using y/x to jump or tap jump, it seems like doing a sort of double stick with tap jump and c stick might work? Thanks for any help

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Quick question, when doing fair strings, say across smashville, I am having a little trouble getting the input sequence for the fairs. I have tried rising fairs and falling fairs and it seems rising works much better, I'm curious if you guys would recommend using y/x to jump or tap jump, it seems like doing a sort of double stick with tap jump and c stick might work? Thanks for any help
i do it like this:

jump with y, immediately (buffer) fair out of short hop, fast fall afterwards.

Simikins

Nerfed
3DS FC
0447-8060-8710
Thoughts on this kill setup?

https://twitter.com/BlankSmash/status/737349220030504961?s=09

Haven't seen it elsewhere and I don't know if others here are aware of it.
I have this doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KN45jxrew4UuFNkKBdVNgVR30L4BK47zbgX9VUXMrY4/edit
Which is gonna be made into a thread soon.

so i was reading http://smashboards.com/threads/1st-class-soldier-drills-an-execution-tech-skill-guide-v1-3-1.433340/ this cloud thread and i was thinking about what kind of sheik drills would be useful? any thoughts/ideas?
Someone on discord made this: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DZnkVZ5VxMZR69nV2BPdI9lvBNlUVKtyaVh87LVf5SE/edit
Might be useful.

Ascen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ascendtothetop
Is it possible to needle fidget onstage to bait an opponent's airdodge to avoid needles while catching them with the bouncing fish from the needle fidget?

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
Is it possible to needle fidget onstage to bait an opponent's airdodge to avoid needles while catching them with the bouncing fish from the needle fidget?
There's actually a lot of tech based on that idea, and if you practice to the point of frame perfection, look into implementing the Instant Needle Cancel in your gameplay.

RMK-FAST

Smash Rookie
Hi , new sheik main there , I struggle a lot against Mario , any tips for this MU ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom