• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A New to Sheik? Look here to learn how to get started/Need help with Sheik? Ask your questions here.

Grimtixx

Smash Cadet
NNID
bgood4life
Hi there, Sheik people. I've been a Lucas main since his release as DLC for this game and ever since I have been looking for a secondary main character to use alongside him so that the two characters can cover bad MUs. (Although I think that Lucas may be solo viable I'd rather play safe than sorry) I experimented with characters like Sonic, Meta-Knight and Pikachu and they all didn't really work out that well as mains. I'll admit at first I didn't even think about picking up Sheik, but I began to lab with her so that I could learn the MU from Lucas's perspective. To my surprise, Sheik's playstyle began to grow on me. Sheik's needles gave me the best impression due to their amazing range and camping capabilities and multiple uses as a movement tool. (I have a weird fetish for unconventional movement options like Lucas's PSI magnet and instant needle cancelling) I know Sheik's skill cap is very high, but I am pretty interested in trying this character out. How well would you guys say that Sheik would cover Lucas's bad MUs and vice versa? All I know is that Lucas can handle Ryu, Lucario and Donkey Kong while Sheik can handle ZSS and a majority of the cast. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Simikins

Nerfed
3DS FC
0447-8060-8710
Hi there, Sheik people. I've been a Lucas main since his release as DLC for this game and ever since I have been looking for a secondary main character to use alongside him so that the two characters can cover bad MUs. (Although I think that Lucas may be solo viable I'd rather play safe than sorry) I experimented with characters like Sonic, Meta-Knight and Pikachu and they all didn't really work out that well as mains. I'll admit at first I didn't even think about picking up Sheik, but I began to lab with her so that I could learn the MU from Lucas's perspective. To my surprise, Sheik's playstyle began to grow on me. Sheik's needles gave me the best impression due to their amazing range and camping capabilities and multiple uses as a movement tool. (I have a weird fetish for unconventional movement options like Lucas's PSI magnet and instant needle cancelling) I know Sheik's skill cap is very high, but I am pretty interested in trying this character out. How well would you guys say that Sheik would cover Lucas's bad MUs and vice versa? All I know is that Lucas can handle Ryu, Lucario and Donkey Kong while Sheik can handle ZSS and a majority of the cast. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Sheik can handle everyone.
Only match ups that come close to negative for here are lucario, MK, and maybe one or two others. It's not as simple as just picking her up though, you still need to know matchups very well to do well, as with any character. To cover bad matchups, sheik is probably the best option.

Grimtixx

Smash Cadet
NNID
bgood4life
Sheik can handle everyone.
Only match ups that come close to negative for here are lucario, MK, and maybe one or two others. It's not as simple as just picking her up though, you still need to know matchups very well to do well, as with any character. To cover bad matchups, sheik is probably the best option.
Awesome. To be frank, I never really thought I would be interested in Sheik until now. I guess I just like her flexibility when it comes to playstyles. Thanks so much for your input as I appreciate the advice =)

Rynozilla

Doesn't Need Anyone
NNID
Midori-Ryno
3DS FC
4871-3209-8796
This is maaaaybe in the wrong thread, but I need all the help I can get
So, I'm maining Shiek, up until Bayonetta comes out (no offense to you guys ;; )
Anyone willing to teach a noob like myself, I'd appreciate immensely :3
(NNID on the right p.s.)

Tenletters23

Smash Padawan
NNID
Bungalojoe23
When Sheik fails to get the job done, who do you turn to for help? Did you pick your secondary to cover specific match-ups that you struggle with or did you select your secondary because you fancy their style of play? Or is Sheik your one and only? Share your thoughts.

D

Deleted member

Hey
This happened today,I don't know if it's a neutral get-up after a missed tech or a jab lock.

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
should i use the side b as a pressure option?
I'd recommend against it, since it's such an incredibly laggy move. People rarely use the Grenade, and when they do, it's generally in a situation in which the opponent can't respond. For pressure, you're much better off with Needles and Fair.

Last edited:

{Kyro}

Smash Apprentice
I've started to incorporate PP u-tilt into my ground combo game especially after f-tilt and am aware that it can combo from d-throw. However when I looked at Jackson/Absol's compendium I found very few moves that combo out of it. Exactly what moves can combo from u-tilt? From my knowledge it's ftilt (should be added to compendium), fair, and grab, are there others?

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I've started to incorporate PP u-tilt into my ground combo game especially after f-tilt and am aware that it can combo from d-throw. However when I looked at Jackson/Absol's compendium I found very few moves that combo out of it. Exactly what moves can combo from u-tilt? From my knowledge it's ftilt (should be added to compendium), fair, and grab, are there others?
bouncing fish is a big one

Simikins

Nerfed
3DS FC
0447-8060-8710
Ftilt, Nair, Fair, RAR or PP Bair, Bouncing Fish, Needles, UpSmash, and grab.
Grab is best at low percents.
Fair or needles are best at mid percents.
Bouncing Fish is best at high percents.

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
So, I've decided to use Shiek because I feel like I'm gonna need to able to use her for certain MU's. I just came here to ask what should I practice, Learning the spacing of her moves are important, I know this. Beyond that I have no clue what to really practice with her. If someone could me nudge me in the right direction that would be appreciated.

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
So, I've decided to use Shiek because I feel like I'm gonna need to able to use her for certain MU's. I just came here to ask what should I practice, Learning the spacing of her moves are important, I know this. Beyond that I have no clue what to really practice with her. If someone could me nudge me in the right direction that would be appreciated.
Nudge.
Nudge.

Last edited:

ZafKiel

Smash Apprentice
Sorry if this has been mentioned previously before but any suggested kill/gimp setups? All I got is Up Smash under platforms or punishing landings and bouncing fish as an edgeguard.

Kurodyne

where did i put my keys
NNID
KuroSensation
I play Sheik primarily but I've been recently finding trouble with the Samus and Kirby matchups. I'm not sure what to do against Samus as a whole, but I intend to pick up Yoshi to deal with Kirby. Would ZSS compliment Sheik well, or is there a better character to pick up as an extra?

{Kyro}

Smash Apprentice
I play Sheik primarily but I've been recently finding trouble with the Samus and Kirby matchups. I'm not sure what to do against Samus as a whole, but I intend to pick up Yoshi to deal with Kirby. Would ZSS compliment Sheik well, or is there a better character to pick up as an extra?
If you main Sheik then you don't need an extra, if anything it will hinder you because that's less time on your main.

Samus's close range options are all extremely laggy; get in her face, read and punish. Don't get grabbed because Samus has throw combos and it's an easy punish if she misses similar to ZSS. At long range it's just a stalemate in favor of Samus, unless you can use needles really well your job is to corner them.

Check the Sheik matchup thread for info on Kirby

Last edited:

Kurodyne

where did i put my keys
NNID
KuroSensation
If you main Sheik then you don't need an extra, if anything it will hinder you because that's less time on your main.

Samus's close range options are all extremely laggy; get in her face, read and punish. Don't get grabbed because Samus has throw combos and it's an easy punish if she misses similar to ZSS. At long range it's just a stalemate in favor of Samus, unless you can use needles really well your job is to corner them.

Check the Sheik matchup thread for info on Kirby
the main reason i want to add a sub is because even though she doesn't have a single negative matchup, i'm sure characters out there do matchups better than she does (Yoshi, i've read, is like 60-40 or 70-30 to Kirby as opposed to Sheik who is arguably even), hence why i'm looking for an extra

{Kyro}

Smash Apprentice
the main reason i want to add a sub is because even though she doesn't have a single negative matchup, i'm sure characters out there do matchups better than she does (Yoshi, i've read, is like 60-40 or 70-30 to Kirby as opposed to Sheik who is arguably even), hence why i'm looking for an extra
I'll repeat my statement about secondaries hindering your play, but even if that wasn't an issue, the only reason you should have a secondary is for fun (which I am absolutely okay with, it's why I have a pocket ZSS). There are plenty of awesome Sheiks here to help you out with difficult match ups, but again please feel free to have a "fun" character to use. If you're having trouble just ask

AUnique

Smash Rookie
NNID
JJP12345
3DS FC
1907-9476-3113
Greetings Sheik mains! I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do this, but here we go.

I'm a Lucina main, and have been looking to further improve my game, but the thing is, our boards are slowly decaying and lack solid MU discussion, which is pretty discouraging for aspiring players like me. This has led me here; I'm taking the initiative of gathering general knowledge on important MUs directly from the other character boards in order to gain a more objective perspective on how they work, with the final intention of gathering it all in one place for the Lucina boards to see, and in that way, help advance our metagame somehow.

Of course, you guys have no need to answer whatsoever, so if you do, I deeply appreciate your help. Really.

Without further ado, my questions are:
  • What pros does Sheik have in this matchup?
  • What do you find menacing about Lucina? More specifically, what moves/actions pose as an obstacle to overcome?
  • What is your general gameplan in neutral vs. Lucina?
  • Once you enter a state of advantage, how do you attempt to maintain it?
Sorry if this is too much to ask, I reckon it's a bit unfair for you to get the short end of the stick. Again, thanks in advance. Best wishes to you all!

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
I'll go to Lucina boards and post about the matchup, though she loses pretty bad.

AUnique

Smash Rookie
NNID
JJP12345
3DS FC
1907-9476-3113
Actually, we don't have any matchup discussion thread; it's on the Marth boards, but to be honest, I was hoping I could gather more Lucina-specific stuff, even if she loses badly, to elaborate on and try to improve.

Still, do as you please!

{Kyro}

Smash Apprentice
Actually, we don't have any matchup discussion thread; it's on the Marth boards, but to be honest, I was hoping I could gather more Lucina-specific stuff, even if she loses badly, to elaborate on and try to improve.

Still, do as you please!
I'm pretty sure that the cause of inactivity on the Lucina boards is due to the fact that the Marth boards exist, and most matchup info applies to both anyway. There are a few small differences though, so it is worth at least mentioning

AUnique

Smash Rookie
NNID
JJP12345
3DS FC
1907-9476-3113
I'm pretty sure that the cause of inactivity on the Lucina boards is due to the fact that the Marth boards exist, and most matchup info applies to both anyway. There are a few small differences though, so it is worth at least mentioning
Not quite. Yes, the Marth boards are basically ours as well, but discussion there isn't impressive either, though certainly better.
The Sheik MU Discussion thread has only one reply, for example, a bit strange since Sheik is a hard and common matchup for us.

Last edited:

{Kyro}

Smash Apprentice
Not quite. Yes, the Marth boards are basically ours as well, but discussion there isn't impressive either, though certainly better.
The Sheik MU Discussion thread has only one reply, for example, a bit strange since Sheik is a hard and common matchup for us.
Well, I stand corrected :p
I'll see if I can get some info for that

On another topic, is there a place where I can find another Sheik to play against or should I just ask around until I find someone?

Last edited:

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
On another topic, is there a place where I can find another Sheik to play against or should I just ask around until I find someone?
Tournaments. Ask people for Sheik players and find them, play friendlies with them if you can.

{Kyro}

Smash Apprentice
Tournaments. Ask people for Sheik players and find them, play friendlies with them if you can.
I've never been to a tournament before [insert scrublord comment here], I just play online and against my friends. I use Smashladder a lot, but there aren't many Sheiks on there. I'm planning on attending tournaments during the summer, but I was wondering if I could play a few matches with someone online

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
Oh i see. Tournaments are usually the best place to find players and improve, so try to attend as many tournaments as possible.

Simikins

Nerfed
3DS FC
0447-8060-8710
K {Kyro}
Like you, I've never attended a tournament. Oh how I wish I could.

Anthers ladder is great, good you're on there.

What I do to play against other sheiks is Skype them. Join the sheik Skype group and pester everyone until someone agrees to play you just to shut you up. Some very good sheiks in that group.

Another way to get experience is on streams. Hunt down all th sheiks that stream, mr r, false, etc, and try and play them.

{Kyro}

Smash Apprentice
K {Kyro}
Like you, I've never attended a tournament. Oh how I wish I could.

Anthers ladder is great, good you're on there.

What I do to play against other sheiks is Skype them. Join the sheik Skype group and pester everyone until someone agrees to play you just to shut you up. Some very good sheiks in that group.

Another way to get experience is on streams. Hunt down all th sheiks that stream, mr r, false, etc, and try and play them.
lol, ok so is the Skype group the same as the discord group?

Ger_Rio

Smash Rookie
NNID
Fir3fl4r3
Hello,
I'm a german Sheik main and recently I was told that I was playing too slow. I didn't really understand what that was supposed to mean, since I was always doing my best to be fast. I asked a friend of mine, who's a lot better than me and he told me that he had routes he's using to move quickly across the stage but I should go here and ask.
So here's my question: What do you guys do to play faster? Do you also use routes on stages like bf to manouver?

Last edited:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Hello,
I'm a german Sheik main and recently I was told that I was playing too slow. I didn't really understand what that was supposed to mean, since I was always doing my best to be fast. I asked a friend of mine, who's a lot better than me and he told me that he had routes he's using to move quickly across the stage but I should go here and ask.
So here's my question: What do you guys do to play faster? Do you also use routes on stages like bf to manouver?
I've only ever thought of a "route" on battlefield and it's actually helped me a lot to improve on that stage cuz I always sucked at battlefield until I seriously put in time to practice on it and not suck lol

FH fair fast fall on the first platform, then fh fair fast fall on the top platform, drop zone fast fall fair to the side platform, then drop zone fast fall fair to centre stage. I use c stick for drop zone fair in that scenario. dunno if this will help you though, a bit hard to explain and I'm too lazy to record it :x

Anyway, playing too slow could mean anything from not moving enough (standing in place when you could do something else like setting a wall of aerials, doing empty short hops and fast falling them, charging needles etc) to not fast falling aerials as often as you should.

Ger_Rio

Smash Rookie
NNID
Fir3fl4r3
I see, thank you for the reply!
I guess I'm gonna watch my replays and look out for the things you pointed out in your last sentence.
Can you explain how you applied the route to your gameplay?

Last edited:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I see, thank you for the reply!
I guess I'm gonna watch my replays and look out for the things you pointed out in your last sentence.
Can you explain how you applied the route to your gameplay?
It just made it easyer for me to combo on battlefield and use the platforms to my advantage, and it also helped me get used to the ff timing because the platforms can mess with that. I'd say it helped me get used to battlefield in general.

Ger_Rio

Smash Rookie
NNID
Fir3fl4r3
It just made it easyer for me to combo on battlefield and use the platforms to my advantage, and it also helped me get used to the ff timing because the platforms can mess with that. I'd say it helped me get used to battlefield in general.
Alright, thanks for the kind reply!

Top Bottom