• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A New to Sheik? Look here to learn how to get started/Need help with Sheik? Ask your questions here.

I AKU I

Smash Cadet
NNID
murphed
What is Sheik's best response to Falcons who like to apply pressure with well-spaced SH RAR bairs? I was playing a pretty good Falcon who began doing this a lot (probably) because I couldn't come up with a consistent answer to them.

I think I was rightfully reluctant to trade with a Falcon back air, so I tended to shield them and then try to punish his landing lag. However, I had a hard time actually doing this unless I managed to perfect shield it. I tried to mix it up with a few spotdodges which allowed me to respond with a grab or a fair, but then he started to do some more empty hops to throw me off. So I guess that helped get him to stop approaching exclusively with bair, but I was wondering if there was a safer way to counter this approach strategy? Crouching/d-tilt seems like it might work, but idk. I know that the MU thread is being reworked which is why I thought it might be better to ask here instead.

Sean de Lure

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4313-1004-2187
Is it impossible for Sheik to bouncing fish twice while in the air?
sheik can hit bouncing fish up to 3 times, but after the first time you have to manually trigger the bouncing fish by hitting a/b
you can also trigger the first bouncing fish earlier than when it comes out by itself

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
If you're asking about performing it, kicking, cooling down, and performing again without landing, no, that isn't possible.
Yup, I was asking about this, thanks!

sheik can hit bouncing fish up to 3 times, but after the first time you have to manually trigger the bouncing fish by hitting a/b
you can also trigger the first bouncing fish earlier than when it comes out by itself
Though you've triggered my curiosity. If I hit the opponent successfully with one bouncing fish, I can do two more? I'll have to lab this out. Do I do a/b instead of another down B to do another bouncing fish after the first one?

Sean de Lure

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4313-1004-2187
Yup, I was asking about this, thanks!

Though you've triggered my curiosity. If I hit the opponent successfully with one bouncing fish, I can do two more? I'll have to lab this out. Do I do a/b instead of another down B to do another bouncing fish after the first one?
I think if you dj bfish you can do another before hitting the ground

you would have to hit a 2nd active hurtbox to be able to trigger the third bfish, and yeah, you only need to do down b for the initial input, every bfish after that you manage to trigger after confirming on the 1st hit can be done with a/b

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
One thing I lack in my game are rar-bairs. I always forget to do them.

What situations are rar bars optimal?

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
Combo follower when fair won't reach. I also like to use it to pressure people who are recovering from above and tend to airdodge.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
One thing I lack in my game are rar-bairs. I always forget to do them.

What situations are rar bars optimal?
Sometimes I use them as a mixup after fthrow. I can potentially sneak 2 bairs in and they'd overall do more damage than 3 fairs, especially if fair is stale.

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
Can someone give me some quick pointers like a list of things we can exploit and things we should never try to challenge against Yoshi? Picked up Sheik literally two days ago. Her combos are pretty coolio but I have zero knowledge on matchups now.

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
I've been having trouble powershielding whilst charging needles.

Does Sheik have to cancel needles then put up shield? How many frames is this roughly?

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
I've been having trouble powershielding whilst charging needles.

Does Sheik have to cancel needles then put up shield? How many frames is this roughly?
I believe it is a 7-frame cancel animation, so it's not all that long but still needs to be accounted for.

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
I believe it is a 7-frame cancel animation, so it's not all that long but still needs to be accounted for.
Yeah. I've noticed I always get hit when trying to powershield whilst charging needles, so I guess thats one thing I'd need to learn

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I acfually have a similar problem. For some reason i'm just not used to accounting for the needle cancelling to bring up sheild.

Darth Tobito

Smash Cadet
NNID
darth_tobito
I usually down smash when my opponent rolls but what are Sheik's other punishes against roll happy players?

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I usually down smash when my opponent rolls but what are Sheik's other punishes against roll happy players?
Grab, ftilt/dtilt > followup, fsmash, usmash, or even bouncing fish are all suitable punishes depending on the situation and how fast your reflexes are or if you're going for a hard read. Ftilt would be the safest cuz it has very little lag and can lead to a good aerial followup, and same goes to dtilt. Grab would probably be more optimal but not always the safest punish to go for, and smash attacks are for hard reads.

Guimartgon

Smash Apprentice
So Sheik's Up B is for the most part invincible after the first few frames of animation, we all know that, but I was talking with a :4sheik: main from my area and one of our friends, a :4dedede: main complained about how hard it was for the penguin to edgeguard sheik. The sheik main then said that Sheik's Up B looses invulnerability after the explosion and therefore you could hit her in between the explosion and right after she snaps the ledge with Nair or some attack that covers the edge while being out of Vanish's range. Is this true?

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
Yes it is, only after the second explosion though.

Last edited:

I AKU I

Smash Cadet
NNID
murphed
Everyone still complains that Sheik has a hard time killing early, but this just isn't true in my experience. I think those complaints come from people who are unfamiliar with the character because most of the stocks I take come from fairly early gimps or kill setups. Where I really seem to struggle with Sheik is when I can't close out the stock by the time my opponent gets past 120%.

I try to keep them up in the air at these %s even though I know that they will be too high for me follow-up while they're still in hitstun. Meanwhile, I'll charge needles and hope to get an airdodge read or at least catch their landing with needles. Idk, I think I'm playing optimally, but it's effin' infuriating when I don't get the reads and end up getting late kills with a stale fair/f-tilt.

Seriously, what do you guys do when your opponent just keeps on living? Are there any late kill set-ups that I'm unaware of?

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Everyone still complains that Sheik has a hard time killing early, but this just isn't true in my experience. I think those complaints come from people who are unfamiliar with the character because most of the stocks I take come from fairly early gimps or kill setups. Where I really seem to struggle with Sheik is when I can't close out the stock by the time my opponent gets past 120%.

I try to keep them up in the air at these %s even though I know that they will be too high for me follow-up while they're still in hitstun. Meanwhile, I'll charge needles and hope to get an airdodge read or at least catch their landing with needles. Idk, I think I'm playing optimally, but it's effin' infuriating when I don't get the reads and end up getting late kills with a stale fair/f-tilt.

Seriously, what do you guys do when your opponent just keeps on living? Are there any late kill set-ups that I'm unaware of?
Depending on your own rage and the stage you're playing at, get them to ~180% and kill with ftilt. Fair can kill at any percent beyond 130% dependent on rage/position on the stage as well, same goes to nair and bair.

Those are pretty much the best "kill setups" if they live ridiculously long. In the meantime you should keep as much distance as you can, needles help a lot with that fortunately.

RosalinaSGS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2062-9707-3637
Just read something about Vanish Gliding. It sounds cool, but does it actually have any significant applications?

Duet

Smash Cadet
NNID
requiemlacrimosa
I don't suppose there is anyone out there that is willing to be a "mentor" of sorts for this character is there? I have been trying to pick up sheik on and off since april and I just can't seem to get the hang of her. I can't really combo well, and my neutral in general is just very unsafe. I have a really hard time capitalizing on momentum I have and I am sure I have a million other bad habits, but I can't really tell where I am going wrong. I have watched videos and read guides but when I try to make it happen it just feels like there is a missing link. If anyone would be willing to have some 1 on 1 time with me that would be amazing.

Bill cipher3

Smash Cadet
Hi. I just started maining shiek in sm4sh so can someone give me a list of techs in easiest to master to hardest to master?

ErebusTheDefiler

Smash Rookie
I read that i should change my L or R which ever one i don't shield with the most to special, and change my C stick to tilts. Which is the best set up for sheik is this true and should i be learning to play this set up?

Keeseman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Keeseman
3DS FC
2251-4754-4791
So I keep getting beat by my friend who plays Lucas and Zelda (yes, Zelda of all characters).

I think my problem is that I'm not killing fast enough. I know the fair>FH needle>BF combo, but I think that's changed slightly in the last couple updates. Any advice on how to kill faster? Also, some help for these matchups?

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
I read that i should change my L or R which ever one i don't shield with the most to special, and change my C stick to tilts. Which is the best set up for sheik is this true and should i be learning to play this set up?
TBH, I use the default control scheme with the exception of L being set to attack. The only reason why L is set to attack is because of DACUS... which is no longer here. Still, I have old habits and air dodging or shielding at random does not help me win.

The only time you should change your control scheme is when you feel more comfortable playing with the new scheme. If default feels better, you are dumb for changing.

Duet

Smash Cadet
NNID
requiemlacrimosa
I am having some serious issues landing grabs with sheik. Anyone have any advice? I feel like even when I am reading their movement I can't land the grab and i go right through them. Her grab hit box just seems so tiny. Are the advanced grab techs worth looking into/will they help alleviate the problem? Or am I just being terrible and need to learn how to play better. Absolutely any advice would help. To give an idea how clueless I am, I didn't realize you could double tap bouncing fish to make the hit box come out faster. I have been sitting here frustrated for a few days that I couldn't ever land my bouncing fishes and I was just going through people not understanding how sheik mains could land the attack consistently. Thanks in advanced.

Last edited:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
What is Sheik's best response to Falcons who like to apply pressure with well-spaced SH RAR bairs? I was playing a pretty good Falcon who began doing this a lot (probably) because I couldn't come up with a consistent answer to them.

I think I was rightfully reluctant to trade with a Falcon back air, so I tended to shield them and then try to punish his landing lag. However, I had a hard time actually doing this unless I managed to perfect shield it. I tried to mix it up with a few spotdodges which allowed me to respond with a grab or a fair, but then he started to do some more empty hops to throw me off. So I guess that helped get him to stop approaching exclusively with bair, but I was wondering if there was a safer way to counter this approach strategy? Crouching/d-tilt seems like it might work, but idk. I know that the MU thread is being reworked which is why I thought it might be better to ask here instead.
Sorry this is a month late, but Sheik's Fair beats Falcon's Bair, and you can crouch them.

That's only if you want to do C-bounce or INC (look them up in this forum, lazy to link the threads), which kinda aren't explored right now and too frame-perfect to be useful imo. My control scheme is this:

L for jump
X for grab
C stick set to tilts
tap jump off

C stick set to tilts allows me to space Fair better on shield or in general because if you set it to smash then it'll change your momentum while in the air which sucks balls. L for jump is for doing the full hop needles > bf combo which is hard to do otherwise, and also for doing jump cancelled usmash or usmash/up b out of shield. X for grab is just for my convenience cuz I always have my index finger on the R button.

So I keep getting beat by my friend who plays Lucas and Zelda (yes, Zelda of all characters).

I think my problem is that I'm not killing fast enough. I know the fair>FH needle>BF combo, but I think that's changed slightly in the last couple updates. Any advice on how to kill faster? Also, some help for these matchups?
The Zelda mu isn't as easy as it looks. You have to be super patient and keep your distance, only opt for safe moves because her punish game is ridiculous. If you do anything stupid on her shield then be prepared by holding right or left to DI her up b out of shield and not get hit by the 2nd hit. Dthrow > Uair, ftilt > uair, dtilt > uair are all kill setups you could do on her, anything else is probably too risky. Also, nothing changed about fair > needles > bf.

Lucas is a lot easier imo because he can be gimped so easily if he's not in tether range to grab the ledge. He can't deal with needles or fair so abuse the hell out of them against him, and when edgeguarding grab the ledge > drop down > reverse bouncing fish to hit him if he tries to recover low with up b. Use diagonal needles to gimp him as well.

I am having some serious issues landing grabs with sheik. Anyone have any advice? I feel like even when I am reading their movement I can't land the grab and i go right through them. Her grab hit box just seems so tiny. Are the advanced grab techs worth looking into/will they help alleviate the problem? Or am I just being terrible and need to learn how to play better. Absolutely any advice would help. To give an idea how clueless I am, I didn't realize you could double tap bouncing fish to make the hit box come out faster. I have been sitting here frustrated for a few days that I couldn't ever land my bouncing fishes and I was just going through people not understanding how sheik mains could land the attack consistently. Thanks in advanced.
At really low percents (0-20%) short hop fair confirms into grab so there's that. At higher percents, it's mostly reads or punishes, don't just throw a grab in the neutral lol. Also tomahawking helps; basically just short hop to make them think you'll do an aerial then fast fall and grab them. Mix this up sometimes by actually doing an aerial. Try to make use of pivot grabs as well

eveningninja

Smash Apprentice
Perhaps more a question in general rather than a Sheik specific question, but I've been practicing w/ Sheik lately so I figured I'd ask here. For dash attack cancelled grabs, do I have to C-stick down in combination with Z work? Or will simply pressing A and Z work the same? I've been watching some tutorials and a few people are saying to use C-stick down as the way to do the dash attack part of the dashattackcancelled grab.

Also, question in relation to that - do I have to rotate my analog stick downward before initiating the dash attack? I've seen some people mention that as well.

Thank you all.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Perhaps more a question in general rather than a Sheik specific question, but I've been practicing w/ Sheik lately so I figured I'd ask here. For dash attack cancelled grabs, do I have to C-stick down in combination with Z work? Or will simply pressing A and Z work the same? I've been watching some tutorials and a few people are saying to use C-stick down as the way to do the dash attack part of the dashattackcancelled grab.

Also, question in relation to that - do I have to rotate my analog stick downward before initiating the dash attack? I've seen some people mention that as well.

Thank you all.
I use A + Z to do it but I never do it anyway.

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345

Thank you all.
You have to use the C-stick down if you want to execute an immediate dash attack from standstill, but otherwise, just pressing A will work fine. I don't believe that angling the control stick will affect anything, though I could be wrong.

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace

Thank you all.
The idea is that rotating it a quarter circle downwards guarantees the dash attack goes out and not a forward smash by mistake but if you're good enough with your execution, it really shouldn't make a difference.

Daymaster

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMan9878
One quick question (sorry if it's been awnsered before)
At TBH, I saw ZeRo D-tilting to catch characters at the ledge. Is their a list of characters it works on or is it universal?

Daymaster

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMan9878
I think that the only reason to do this would be to be able to C-bounce and stomecloud. If you don't plan on doing that, there is no reason to.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
One quick question (sorry if it's been awnsered before)
At TBH, I saw ZeRo D-tilting to catch characters at the ledge. Is their a list of characters it works on or is it universal?
Universal.

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
So I've never seen a Sheik FF a Uair to pull me down from the air and combo into jab before. Is it not possible to DI/jump out before I get caught up in the jabs, os that a true combo?

Top Bottom