• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NEW TACTIC! >B into Spike!!

HADOOKEN

Smash Apprentice
Like most of u, i want to be "the best" marth, so i'm really experimenting NOW while the game is still fresh to everyone.

I like to spike, who doesnt, but i have finally accepted that Fair/ Bair are much more reliable.

U should know by now that the spike has better range behind marth, but i didnt want to have to depend on this fact, so for the last few days i've been training hard to perfect the Front spike.
But i was only getting it regularly after a "ken combo" type situation.

But now i'm trying something new: instead of going for a tricky front spike or taking the time to jump of backwards to chase down an airborne opponent, i've been jumping after the <t>, Fairing once to pop them back, then immediately doing >B backwards to turn around, then i camp in the air til' the opponent makes their first jump/ attempt to get back to the ledge and since i'm backwards the chances of me getting a spike is MUCH higher, just make sure u use ur double jump just before u spike.

I found this out like, an hour ago, and havent got to practice it on a HUMAN yet, but after i do i'll post my results on wether or not i find it practical.

in the meantime, why dont u guys try it out and let me know what u think

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
hmm... that sounds like it might work, but it could get really easy to read if you did it more than once or twice. your opponent could hit you with an aerial while you stalled in the air, or they could simply go under and wait to use their up B, which sounds like the most reasonable way to escape. It may work to increase your chances of a spike, but it still leaves Fair as the number one choice.

I'll actually go try this out asap though, I'll let you know what I get.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
It's really an extension of something like <attack to get them off ledge> to Bair to turn around then Dair simultaneously with second jump.

It's nothing new, just different. The spike just isn't good anymore because all "spikes" in this game are meteor smashes.

Like last weekend, my Toon Link was in the 70% on FD and Desire spiked me with Marth and I meteor canceled it with Up+B. With him recovering from Dair's lag, he didn't gain much but 14% instead of a lost stock. ROB/Pit gets away with it even easier. It's just not that viable anymore except.

In short, it can work, but it's not something you should aim for anymore. Marth just can't gimp anyone in this blasted game.

PK Hexagon

Smash Apprentice
So basically you're suggesting the first dancing blade slash (which acts as a b reversal in this situation, i think. not sure though) to turn towards the stage to position for the spike?

I've been using bair for that lol

VietGeek

Smash Hero
So basically you're suggesting the first dancing blade slash (which acts as a b reversal in this situation, i think. not sure though) to turn towards the stage to position for the spike?

I've been using bair for that lol
Like I said, it's basically the same thing. Each one works a little better depending on what you need to aim for. Since DB stalls a little, it can keep you in-air longer so you can gimp characters like spacies or PSI children. While Bair allows you to do a simple rushdown to a spike. It depends really.

But our spike sucks now, lol. Play Ness or Ganondorf is you want a spike that's sexy.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Hmm, I tried it out. It actually works pretty well, but I think I'll stick with bair>double jump>dair and RAR dair.

Desire

Smash Journeyman
It's really an extension of something like <attack to get them off ledge> to Bair to turn around then Dair simultaneously with second jump.

It's nothing new, just different. The spike just isn't good anymore because all "spikes" in this game are meteor smashes.

Like last weekend, my Toon Link was in the 70% on FD and Desire spiked me with Marth and I meteor canceled it with Up+B. With him recovering from Dair's lag, he didn't gain much but 14% instead of a lost stock. ROB/Pit gets away with it even easier. It's just not that viable anymore except.

In short, it can work, but it's not something you should aim for anymore. Marth just can't gimp anyone in this blasted game.

XDXDXD that was a nice meteor cancel ... k

IDK

Smash Lord
Like most of u, i want to be "the best" marth, so i'm really experimenting NOW while the game is still fresh to everyone.

I like to spike, who doesnt, but i have finally accepted that Fair/ Bair are much more reliable.

U should know by now that the spike has better range behind marth, but i didnt want to have to depend on this fact, so for the last few days i've been training hard to perfect the Front spike.
But i was only getting it regularly after a "ken combo" type situation.

But now i'm trying something new: instead of going for a tricky front spike or taking the time to jump of backwards to chase down an airborne opponent, i've been jumping after the <t>, Fairing once to pop them back, then immediately doing >B backwards to turn around, then i camp in the air til' the opponent makes their first jump/ attempt to get back to the ledge and since i'm backwards the chances of me getting a spike is MUCH higher, just make sure u use ur double jump just before u spike.

I found this out like, an hour ago, and havent got to practice it on a HUMAN yet, but after i do i'll post my results on wether or not i find it practical.

in the meantime, why dont u guys try it out and let me know what u think
man... where do i start. ken combos are supposed to be impossible. they can airdodge AND meteor cancel. they're not combos. also, this is a really old tactic and lots of marths do this. oh, and we know to use the second jump before a spike. i say it this way because i am a little... tired of people coming on smashboards with old tactics and saying they found a NEW TACTIC and talking to everyone like theyre noobs. i don't mean to be mean, just explaining this for you. if you searched the previous threads you probably wouldve found this. i will say thank you for trying to help us out though... :/

xandeR-

Smash Apprentice
It's funny because it's MORE effective to use the side b to hit the recovering player because it halts their momentum completely and puts you in a perfect spot for a spike on them.

PCHU

Smash Lord
Man, why does everyone say spike?
If it were a spike, then Peach would've died today.
Timer was at 6 seconds, I SH double fair Peach, SH fair, then double jump to a dair.
At 1 second left Peach cancels it with upB.

That KO would've been mine (what do I care, I won anyway) if it was a spike.

I just say double jump to a parallel opponent that lacks their midair jump for an easy meteor.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
In this game, all attacks that sends the foe downward is considered a meteor smash. I think the term spike is just used because as there's no difference in this game between the two, why not take the easy way out and use a 5-letter word? >_>

PCHU

Smash Lord
So true.
Well, we could say Bspike (as in Brawl spike) but that could cause confusion among B moves and spikes.

Hey wait, aren't there actually spikes in this game, or can EVERYTHING be canceled?

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
In this game, all attacks that sends the foe downward is considered a meteor smash. I think the term spike is just used because as there's no difference in this game between the two, why not take the easy way out and use a 5-letter word? >_>
Shoot, why not take an easier way out and use a 4 letter word like i have since melee days? What word u ask? Hint: It starts with a "D" and rhymes with "skunk".

PCHU

Smash Lord
It sounds pretty stupid, but so does wobbling.

Anyway, Marth has a difficult-to-land......spike.....here in Brawl.
It used to be much easier (I don't know how, it just was).

I don't see how it's HARD, I see how it's annoying.
I.....spiked....a Snake yesterday.
It seems you have to do it just as you think that they're going out of range.
And again, DJ at foe parallel to a dair works perfectly....if they've already used their DJ.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Shoot, why not take an easier way out and use a 4 letter word like i have since melee days? What word u ask? Hint: It starts with a "D" and rhymes with "skunk".
I'd rather use an established term that's been used already and accepted as the norm for my convienence of not having to explain. You can use "dunk," I won't. Mmkay?

As far as I'm concerned, all "spikes" can be canceled, even stage spikes if you tech correctly (teching is kinda hard in this game IMO. In Melee it was hilariously easy >_>). The new meteor canceling mechanics kinda balance it out though.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
True, i agree with using "spike"on the boards cuz its an established trend if u will. And thx for not raggin on me cuz i dont like using the term. Anyway, i still think a spike is a reliable way to kill somebody with rather low damage, (besides edgehogging and gimping). Meteor cancels dont work if u are way to low beneath the ledge just so u know (which is the whole point of spiking)

PCHU

Smash Lord
You use the term dunk....
I couldn't use it.
It reminds me too much of your typical chicken nugget dipping sauce.
I don't see how you can say that without.......thinking of some McDs commercial.

And low meteors are always cool, and even cooler if you actually make it back to the edge.

However, I don't see how one could stop their extreme downward velocity.
I mean, just jumping?
It shouldn't stop it, but slow it down, and upB makes you come back up.

But then again, that would be very annoying.

PCHU

Smash Lord
I think that the word spike fits Marth more than dunk.
When you say dunk, you think of a powerful meteor, like Donkey Krap or Ganondork.
But spike fits Marth well.
I guess the fact that it sounds more swordish.

Also, Ike wouldn't have a dunk.
His is a spike.
Think about it.
Sp+ Ike= Spike.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
I think that the word spike fits Marth more than dunk.
When you say dunk, you think of a powerful meteor, like Donkey Krap or Ganondork.
But spike fits Marth well.
I guess the fact that it sounds more swordish.

Also, Ike wouldn't have a dunk.
His is a spike.
Think about it.
Sp+ Ike= Spike.
Touche, i do think thou has won this match. Btw, I say dunk for every character when i play brawl, but u are right when u say it fits other characters meteors beter. Wait a sec, we went WAY of topic didnt we? Oh well, tangents arent always bad.:dizzy:

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
I think this thread has officially drifted from the subject

This wasnt a discovery and isnt a very effective tactic against a decent opponent as it is VERY avoidable. (no offense)

HADOOKEN

Smash Apprentice
yeah, i kinda already got tired of it. i was working with it all last night on a good DDD player, and i was trying out other techniques described in this thread like bair into it, ect.

I like the >B version because it keeps you in the air for almost 2 secs, and if DDD tried to hop back on or into his UpB, i had all day to spike him.

but yeah, this isnt the "best" tactic, but once it becomes second nature to me, i see it helping

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I see Marth's spike as a very situational attack anyways. It's almost always a better idea to just tip a fair swipe. It's safe and easy to execute. And it works as well if not better than vB because of how easy it is to meteor cancel...

*EDIT: 100th post :D

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
I'm sorry but i cant remember a time i landed a spike and regretted it (provided i didnt SD in the process). Think about it, just because u use ur recovery move after being on the recieving end of a spike, doesnt mean u will be able to recover. Chances are that the person wont b able to react soon enought to initiate their recovery (a lvln20 cpu maybe, but a human?). If at the very least if u connect with a spike and ur opponent recovers, u got some damage on them and put them in a disadvantageous situation.

jinofcoolnes

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry but i cant remember a time i landed a spike and regretted it (provided i didnt SD in the process). Think about it, just because u use ur recovery move after being on the recieving end of a spike, doesnt mean u will be able to recover. Chances are that the person wont b able to react soon enought to initiate their recovery (a lvln20 cpu maybe, but a human?). If at the very least if u connect with a spike and ur opponent recovers, u got some damage on them and put them in a disadvantageous situation.
well did........

1:30-1:35....

(Worse stage spike ever..)

Smash Apprentice
I practiced killing with Marth's spike for a week straight. Now, I can spike facing my opponent far easier than facing away. I like bringing out the air dodge with a quick fair and then spiking them, which is harder to do with the bair. Obviously, I use a simple fair far more often, but it's still nice to have.

HADOOKEN

Smash Apprentice
I just wanted to say that i "ken combo'd" an Ike the other day.

I was shocked, cuz usually he just DI's / air dodges / up Bs me and occasionally gets a spike himself.

but this time i got him, just wanted to share. i'm starting to rely on Bairs or floating away offscrene with Fairs, and i'm starting to notice how much easier it is to spike with almost every other character (been playing samus) so i dont force the spike anymore.

but man its sweet when you get it

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
good players do not rely on marths spike
it sucks compared to melee
bair kicks dair ***

Nibbity

Smash Journeyman
yargh. i'm probably noob, but it was hard to pull off the first several tries. I do really like the idea though, i'd like to try it on my less suspecting friends, who like playing snake, that way it'll be easier and they can't fight me on the way back to the stage.

Top Bottom