• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New strategy outlook for Ganondorf (how I think he's meant to be played)

ul7r05

Smash Cadet
For quite some time now, I have mained Ganondorf (for about a month now). For about the last couple of days I've been messing around on training, when it suddenly dawned on me. Ganondorf is meant for planking. Seriously, I think Ganon is meant to hang on the ledge almost the entire match (provided the stock is equal and/or your ahead), and punishes his opponents. Think about it, Flame Choke over the edge can force a Ganoncide, all of his aerials are perfect for edge guarding, and by hanging over the ledge the whole match, your forcing your opponent to play your game. This is the ultimate approach for any character, especially projectile/chain grabbers. I have played several people this way, and already have seen great results.

Now, the next thing your thinking I'm sure could be, "This is stupid, cheap, or just plain gay." However, define "cheap." What exactly is "cheap?" Is chain grabbing "cheap?" MK's nado? Snake's projectile heaven? I think going toe to toe with characters like Ice Climbers, Falco, King DeDeDe, Snake, or even Meta Knight himself are pointless and suicide already, so why bother? At least with this method your eliminating redundant bull**** combos and/or chain grabbing techs and getting straight to the point. By planking, or staying on the edge for a majority of the match, projectiles can't really affect you and you have many options on the ledge. You also drain the clock significantly, possibly even to the point of sudden death (provided you have equal stock). Now I don't know about you, but I'd rather go to sudden death, than get ***** by SS tiers any day. This is the way The King of Evil is meant to be played on Brawl. ~cheesy grin~

I'm not an expert on writing guides or getting in-depth on this strategy, but please give me feedback and let me know your opinions, they are greatly appreciated. Perhaps, if this really shows results in tourneys, we can get all get together and write a guide on planking with Dorf. Thank you for your time on reading this, and again your feedback is greatly appreciated.

-ul7r05

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Absolutely not. Any Ganondorf that spends any time planking is sure to get hit, and then get the **** gimped out of them, if they're playing an opponent with a decent amount of skill.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Lol, you've haven't obviously tried this against very many good players. I'm not about to say this is playing cheaply, hell if it worked I'd probably be doing more often. But you really haven't spent enough time doing it. If you had you would already been hit by many a smashes, MK d-airs, etc, etc.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Ganondorf is terrible at planking. You can hit him out of his U-air if you have good timing, and he's forced to Up-B to make it back after he does his planking.

Only use it to punish someone who does a bad job of trying to punish your edgecamping, and then get back up.

Ganondorf is supposed to shieldcamp in this game. You block attacks, and punish.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Except you don't, because they made Ganondorf terrible at that too.
The only reason Ganondorf sucks at shieldcamping is because his grab sucks. The rest of his moveset is good enough for shieldcamping.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm not exactly confirming you're right. Shieldcamping by far is Ganondorf's best strategy. It covers the most options out of everything else he tries to do.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
True, but the way that it's currently necessary to play Ganondorf basically involves baiting and punishing, rather than true shieldcamping the way Bowser does it.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
The only character I've found it at least A LITTLE effective against, at times, is Falco.

fonzi21

Smash Ace
Funny thing is bigger tournaments also have a ledge grab rule, and planking rules. I.E. our tourneys have a 45 ledge grab rule, and if the match ends due to time you lose. I think EVO had a 25 ledge grab rule?

Also if you go down in percent for some reason the opponent can sit on the map while you plank, and they win once time runs out.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Ganondorf can't shieldcamp. His fastest out of shield options are slower and/or worse than anyone else's out of shield options

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
For quite some time now, I have mained Ganondorf (for about a month now). For about the last couple of days I've been messing around on training, when it suddenly dawned on me. Ganondorf is meant for planking. Seriously, I think Ganon is meant to hang on the ledge almost the entire match (provided the stock is equal and/or your ahead), and punishes his opponents. Think about it, Flame Choke over the edge can force a Ganoncide, all of his aerials are perfect for edge guarding, and by hanging over the ledge the whole match, your forcing your opponent to play your game. This is the ultimate approach for any character, especially projectile/chain grabbers. I have played several people this way, and already have seen great results.

Now, the next thing your thinking I'm sure could be, "This is stupid, cheap, or just plain gay." However, define "cheap." What exactly is "cheap?" Is chain grabbing "cheap?" MK's nado? Snake's projectile heaven? I think going toe to toe with characters like Ice Climbers, Falco, King DeDeDe, Snake, or even Meta Knight himself are pointless and suicide already, so why bother? At least with this method your eliminating redundant bull**** combos and/or chain grabbing techs and getting straight to the point. By planking, or staying on the edge for a majority of the match, projectiles can't really affect you and you have many options on the ledge. You also drain the clock significantly, possibly even to the point of sudden death (provided you have equal stock). Now I don't know about you, but I'd rather go to sudden death, than get ***** by SS tiers any day. This is the way The King of Evil is meant to be played on Brawl. ~cheesy grin~

I'm not an expert on writing guides or getting in-depth on this strategy, but please give me feedback and let me know your opinions, they are greatly appreciated. Perhaps, if this really shows results in tourneys, we can get all get together and write a guide on planking with Dorf. Thank you for your time on reading this, and again your feedback is greatly appreciated.

-ul7r05
aw man r u srs? MK will gimp you with d-air for ****ing around on the edge dat long.

ul7r05

Smash Cadet
Look I'm not saying stay hanging the whole game, you have invincibility frames and we should use that to our advantage. Staying on the edges of any level provides you with some advantage I would assume. Planking IMO works fine, and if you play smart, getting gimped should be the least of your worries. When your below 100%, he's fairly fast at attacking and recovering quick back on the stage. Then again, Swoops could be right, maybe I haven't played good players to confirm it's worth anything. I just think when your up against characters like IC, DDD, MK, Falco, and any projectile wh0re based opponent, your chances of avoiding it are way better if you just hang on the ledge like an as$hole and play mind games.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Only people something like this could help you against is characters that have little to no offstage game... too bad Ganon will pretty much never be in the lead against someone good, and thus you're just wasting everyone's time. Also, if Ganon gets stagespiked at any percentage above 30, he's gonna die.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Ganondorf is forced to recover after any ledge-drop aerial. He can't even plank.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Ganondorf is forced to recover after any ledge-drop aerial. He can't even plank.
You don't have to immediately go into an aerial after you drop.

Ledge> drop> DJ u-air> aerudo regrab.

But yea, it's not a good idea, trust me.

Ijosh

Smash Apprentice
the only place this might be useful in my opinion is norfair

Top Bottom