• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Screw KH Mickey.

If Mickey HAD to be in, Epic Mickey version or nothing.
Lol so lets say it was epic mickey version (No I dont know much about epic mickey) Im im guessing he uses some paint brush... anyways epic mickey would be like "shadow mario" in super mario sunshine. Idk how his moveset would go. Id go wtf if he made it though which is not likely.

:phone:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am trying to think of how many video game characters even have a hatebase.

The only character in Brawl that I think has one is Sonic (mostly due to the modern Sonic games).

Cloud and Sora have one. The only Nintendo characters I can think of that have one are Tingle, Krystal, and maybe Waluigi (though it may only be in relation to Smash Bros.).

D

Deleted member

Waluigi doesn't really have a hatebase, persay. It's just that people seem to cringe at the idea of him being playable.

yani

Smash Lord
A lot of people hate Lucario because they believe he replaced Mewtwo. There was even a "No Lucario Alliance" on GameFAQS. Does that count?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Baby Daisy has a hatebase due to her being added in where Baby Donkey Kong would've been better. That, and you know, made for a spin-off.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Im on the tingle hatebase although i would want krystal in and i guess walugi but i like him as an AT Cloud and sora? If they in, cool, if not then no big.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
But of course Ridley is too big....for Samus. :troll:

inb4someonepostssamusxridleyhentai
"They" already won... because you thought of it. :troll: :chuckle: :laugh: :p
I am trying to think of how many video game characters even have a hatebase.

The only character in Brawl that I think has one is Sonic (mostly due to the modern Sonic games).

Cloud and Sora have one. The only Nintendo characters I can think of that have one are Tingle, Krystal, and maybe Waluigi (though it may only be in relation to Smash Bros.).
I definitely agree that there was a huge hate fanbase for Sonic that still exists (although isn't as big as it is once was now). However, most of that was directed towards all the unneeded characters. I also think there is a Star Fox hatebase directed towards the post-Star Fox 64/Adventures Star Fox games (which is mostly aimed at Krystal).

Cloud and Sora are hated because they are essentially the Bella (that main chick who does nothing in those stupid Twilight books and movies) of Final Fantasy VII and Kingdom Hearts. Main characters with no personalities, souls, etc that people can put themselves into their shoes and mentally allow their fangirlish dreams to come to life! (which is a lie!)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I would throw in Sephiroth as a villain who has a large hatebase. However, I can't think of any other video game villains that do.

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
And I still find the idea of Final Fantasy VII and Kingdom Hearts series characters being playable an offensive one. Mickey Mouse originated in circa 1928 as an old black and white cartoon, so he's ineligible. Does anyone here know exactly why Cloud Strife is ineligible, just for my peace of mind?

I'd consider myself part of the hatebases for Tingle, Final Fantasy 7 and onward, and the Kindgom Hearts franchise. In terms of Smash Bros chances, I fall under the Baby Mario hatebase.

Because Toad is my choice for the next playable Mario character, has ANYONE said anything to me about replacing the Toad in Peach's Side-B with Toadsworth's cane?

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
If they were going to put toad in... they would have put him in by melee... i remember melee toad rumors Lol. And yes tingle sucks and baby mario would turn this into mario kart double dash....I dont hate FF Or KH but im not begging for them either... toadworths cane? more like one of the moves in super princess peach im guessin.

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
If they were going to put toad in... they would have put him in by melee... i remember melee toad rumors Lol.

They were most likely about to put Diddy Kong in Melee, but probably due to time constraints, they couldn't. The way I remember it, there was no Diddy Kong trophy, indicating they intended for us to get it by clearing Classic mode with him.

Toadsworth's Cane would work similarly to Roy's Counter in Melee, but without the fire. I doubt it's too late to make Toad playable, because he's been around since the original Super Mario Bros. Waluigi, Bowser Jr, and Paper Mario have only been here since 2000-2002, and Toad is more important to the Mario franchise.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I would throw in Sephiroth as a villain who has a large hatebase. However, I can't think of any other video game villains that do.
You can throw in everyone from Final Fantasy VII and VIII into the "have a hatebase" category.
Too expensive to get the rights. Hell, apparently Square-Enix asked for an arm and a leg just for the rights to Geno.
I dunno about Geno being expensive. If anything, Nintendo could easily buy the rights to Geno, Mallow, and all IP from Super Mario RPG (that wasn't made by Square Soft beforehand).

However, the reason Cloud is ineligible is that he hasn't appeared in a Nintendo console game, a cameo in the Gameboy Advance game "Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories" aside. Quite frankly, I don't think anyone considers Cloud a "Nintendo character," have a character that has "history with Nintendo" by any means, or had an impact on "the history of gaming" (although a few misguided souls think Final Fantasy VII revolutionized video gaming, which is silly). Snake got big off the NES/Famicom. Sonic was Nintendo's First real rival's Mascot. Mega Man, Geno, Ryu (Street Fighter), Ryu (Ninja Gaiden), Pac-Man, etc all fit into any of those categories as well.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I still think theyd make toad an AT and replace peach's move with a super princess peach move i cant recall the moves... but i guess they would take away her counter.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ GTA Hater
Actually I think it was more a "legal rights" thing with Diddy Kong in Melee. I think Sakurai was unsure if Nintendo owned Diddy Kong before Melee, and quite frankly didn't bother. He was too busy spending 20 hours a day and 6 days a week making the greatest game of all-time (in my unhumble opinion) that is MELEE!!!!

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Ya he kinda rushed brawl dont ya think?
A.k.a. the metagame. Lol.

I remember the announcer dude.. yelling
64: SUPA SMMMMASHHHHH BRRRROTHERS!!!!!! *crowd noise*
Melee: SUPA SMASH BROTHERS MELEEEEEEE!!!!!! *crowd noise*
Brawl: He got shut the hell up and got replaced with opera (which i dont mind btw)

I wonder how the new theme would be (if there is any) and if the guy yells again...(Lol) and is it super smash bros. 4 or will it have a catchy name like super smash bros. rumble?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Nah Diddy Kong wasn't rushed in Brawl. I was talking about Diddy Kong's relationship to Melee, and the whole "Rare's rights being sold to Microsoft" fiasco. Around the time Melee was being developed and came out, there was a battle for the legal rights to the Banjo, Conker, Perfect Dark, and Donkey Kong Country franchises (as in everything that isn't Donkey Kong himself basically). Nintendo only won the legal rights to everything from Donkey Kong Country, including all the characters (minus Banjo and Conker in Diddy Kong Racing), items, locations, and whatnot.

By the way, the guy who was the announcer in Brawl was also *drum role PLEASE!* the announcer of Bill Nye the Science Guy. TRU FAX!!! :cool:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Nah Diddy Kong wasn't rushed in Brawl. I was talking about Diddy Kong's relationship to Melee, and the whole "Rare's rights being sold to Microsoft" fiasco. Around the time Melee was being developed and came out, there was a battle for the legal rights to the Banjo, Conker, Perfect Dark, and Donkey Kong Country franchises (as in everything that isn't Donkey Kong himself basically). Nintendo only won the legal rights to everything from Donkey Kong Country, including all the characters (minus Banjo and Conker in Diddy Kong Racing), items, locations, and whatnot.

LOL NO WAY! was he in all titles or just brawl? Or are you yanking me XD.

And i was taking about the whole brawl game not just diddy.

By the way, the guy who was the announcer in Brawl was also *drum role PLEASE!* the announcer of Bill Nye the Science Guy. TRU FAX!!! :cool:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Toad can still get in. I don't buy the "too late" crap. It just depends if Sakurai thinks Toad can fight.

And Sephiroth appeared on a GBA game. He's eligible. I might be mistaken on Cloud and Squall, though.

Also, there's still confusion on whether SE or Disney owns Sora, so it's better to avoid that character. He'd fit in easily, though.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I remember the announcer dude.. yelling
64: SUPA SMMMMASHHHHH BRRRROTHERS!!!!!! *crowd noise*
Melee: SUPA SMASH BROTHERS MELEEEEEEE!!!!!! *crowd noise*
Brawl: He got shut the hell up and got replaced with opera (which i dont mind btw)

I wonder how the new theme would be (if there is any) and if the guy yells again...(Lol) and is it super smash bros. 4 or will it have a catchy name like super smash bros. rumble?

Well im out. cya dudes ima go play me some smash64/melee on my PC. Now if only i can find my blk controller so i can play brawl on my wii (i hate da wiimote 4 brawl) cant wait for wii U_U so i can play smash 4 on my 3DS hopefully it wont disapoint.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
*Yawn*

Soo what happened- Hatebases?

Hmm? American hates Tingle? Screw that.

And WE WANT OUR TITLE-ANNOUNCING MAN BACK.

*Gets back to playin' Golden Sun*

Decemberist

Smash Cadet
I really dislike this whole notion that every third-party character with an obscure one-off guest appearance on a Nintendo console is eligible.

It's a ridiculous criteria.

Kolorado

Smash Apprentice
Toad can still get in. I don't buy the "too late" crap. It just depends if Sakurai thinks Toad can fight.

And Sephiroth appeared on a GBA game. He's eligible. I might be mistaken on Cloud and Squall, though.

Also, there's still confusion on whether SE or Disney owns Sora, so it's better to avoid that character. He'd fit in easily, though.
Cloud, Squall and Sephiroth should all become eligible when Theatrhythm Final Fantasy releases for the Nintendo 3DS in a few days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theatrhythm

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Cloud, Squall and Sephiroth should all become eligible when Theatrhythm Final Fantasy releases for the Nintendo 3DS in a few days.

Excellent, excellent.

I'm hoping for Squall, though.

@Decemberist: Actually, it's a Nintendo appearance in general. And it doesn't matter if it's obscure. As long as they meet the criteria, it's fine. It doesn't mean they have any realistic chance, but it means that their chance is above 0.

Zap tackle

Smash Journeyman
If they were going to put toad in... they would have put him in by melee... i remember melee toad rumors Lol. And yes tingle sucks and baby mario would turn this into mario kart double dash....I dont hate FF Or KH but im not begging for them either... toadworths cane? more like one of the moves in super princess peach im guessin.

Just because he didn't make it into Melee or Brawl is no excuse. The same logic can be applied to King K. Rool, Ridley, Dixie Kong, Little Mac, and any other major Nintendo character who didn't make it into the previous games (and who we are rooting for SSB4 as newcomers) even though they deserved to be in the earlier titles.

As for the Toadsworth substitute idea, I'm fine with it. If you mean directly with Toadsworth's cane (as in Peach pulling it out) I somewhat don't see it, but Peach pulling Toadsworth in the same fashion (as Toad) with him whacking her opponents with his cane as a counter I do see. It would be the easiest, and more better way (imo) for replacing Toad as her counter.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Zero
Just Brawl. Here is proof (via Las Wikipedia.org).
I just saw a legit Bill Nye reference in this thread

My life is now complete
That is what I thought when I first heard that (which was a few weeks before Brawl came stateside). Hopefully in the next smash bros game Bill Nye himself in the announcer... :awesome:
I really dislike this whole notion that every third-party character with an obscure one-off guest appearance on a Nintendo console is eligible.

It's a ridiculous criteria.
Yes, but no under qualified 3rd party will make it... unless it's like Banjo, Conker, or Geno, who originated as Nintendo characters (well, Geno was always owned by Square Soft [now Square Enix], but he is a pure blooded Mario character)

Basically, just expect ALL-STAR 3rd party characters that every true gamers knows.

Still not gonna happen. Sakurai isn't going to pay attention to every game to see if "oh this character is eligible." Sakurai knew beforehand that Snake and Sonic were eligible according to his rules. Basically, don't expect any Final Fantasy characters that aren't generic characters in every game (such as Chocobo or the Black Mage) to stand a chance to be playable in a future smash bros incarnation. :troll:

Skyleaf

Smash Cadet
I dont give a fk about the S. I laugh after reading his posts thanks. And its nice that he has a fanboy which is you. Unless he/she uses another account idk i dont really care its just a forum.

Don't deny the S. We know you actually DO give a f**k about the S, because it gives a f**k about you. (:

BTW the only girl things I play are y'know girls.

You too?! O:

NOTE: I know I'm a little late on this. Just HAD to jump in, though. ;)

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Wow not again.

Don't deny the S. We know you actually DO give a f**k about the S, because it gives a f**k about you. (:

You too?! O:

NOTE: I know I'm a little late on this. Just HAD to jump in, though. ;)
Listen I already dropped this topic ok? S or no S Lol and yes your way late. And i dont care about the S (seriously not again lol) I care about you skyleaf :D ;) Lol john already explained it to me so lets just drop it and ill call it a night.

Kolorado

Smash Apprentice
I actually doubt any Final Fantasy character will make it in the game. As much as fans want all these third parties, I think Mega Man is the only one with any real chance. I was just pointing out that those FF characters are eligible. But if they did somehow get FF characters into the game, I don't think they would use generics. A named character would be a much bigger selling point. And their most popular character, like it or not, is Cloud. If Cloud can't make it, there is no way Squall will make it.

Just so you know, I would love Squall in Smash Bros, but it just isn't realistic. :c

Skyleaf

Smash Cadet
Listen I already dropped this topic ok? S or no S Lol and yes your way late. And i dont care about the S (seriously not again lol) I care about you skyleaf :D ;) Lol john already explained it to me so lets just drop it and ill call it a night.

I didn't wanna miss out on the funnnn. ):

But you were sweet in replying to my comment, so I'll leave it at that. (:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I actually doubt any Final Fantasy character will make it in the game. As much as fans want all these third parties, I think Mega Man is the only one with any real chance. I was just pointing out that those FF characters are eligible. But if they did somehow get FF characters into the game, I don't think they would use generics. A named character would be a much bigger selling point. And their most popular character, like it or not, is Cloud. If Cloud can't make it, there is no way Squall will make it.

Just so you know, I would love Squall in Smash Bros, but it just isn't realistic. :c
Well Cloud I don't think would be as universally wanted as... say the Black Mage. Plus why not just put in Terra (the main character from Final Fantasy VI)=??? She is literally the same character as Cloud, just not a whiny little girl (which is odd, because usually the female character is the generic whiny character), easier to relate to, and starred in a game that was actually on a Nintendo console (the Super Nintendo/Famicom).

Regardless, I still think the only Final Fantasy character with a chance is Black Mage and Chocobo, and I don't think they have much of a chance. However, Slime (the mascot character of Dragon Quest) I think does have a chance, given that canon (and numbered) Dragon Quest games are again exclusive to Nintendo consoles.

PS1: Speaking of which, sooner or later I need to get Dragon Quest VIII (I played a demo of it and absolutely fell in love with it, and haven't gotten around to getting in in the past 7 years) and Dragon Quest IX.

PS2: Anyways, later y'all, I'm hitting the hay.

~His Knightliness Himself~,
-Johnknight1 Watson
(you guys thought I forgot about my old, super awesome, and extra deluxe line, didja=???)
:cool:

PS3: Keeping smashing, dashing, and thrashing my friends.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
How's Toad in Mario Kart perform any differently than any of the other light characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom