• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
It's because we haven't seen enough from Medusa, Palutena, or Magnus to determine whenever or not they would be great choices. Since a Kid Icarus rep is likely, I won't throw a fit if it gets a second character and I may even enjoy playing as him or her, but I'd like to wait and see before deciding whenever or not to want them again like I did back a few months ago.
But, you don't know that, we can't tell yet, but sakurai might already have it planned down on paper, since i believe he was in charge of Kid Icarus Uprising, it is very likely that we will indeed get a second rep, I believe it will happen, regardless of demand or popularaty.

Because Zelda really has only two somewhat realistic choices left for what I consider to be good reps; Tingle and Ghirahim. I'd love to see Majora's Mask Link, but even if Operation Moonfall is successful, that's unlikely at best, and all of the other choices doesn't really excite me. Plus Ganondorf is a clone of Captain Falcon and Toon Link is a clone as well. I'd prefer them to be decloned first before a fifth rep happens. One can wait until SSB5.
Well even if we do get a decloned Ganondork, why shouldn't we get a 5th rep at all? if anything I think it deserves one, I will say that Tingle does have some support and Ghirahim will most likely gain some after Skyward Sword comes out, it's too early now but in time it will unfold, also he will be relevant so it makes sense if Sakurai were to consider him.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Do I think Mii's/Mii are/is likely? Yes. Do I particularly want them/it? Not really.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Meh, Mii's can be cool or they can suck, either way they're likely.

Heck for all we know they're confirmed, Sakurai did say there would be customization... :laugh:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Customization has more to do with the attributes of characters' and less with actually manipulating the movement of one select entity. Think of the sticker system in Subspace Emissary but apply that to a farther enveloping system without the gimmick of stickers. That to me is what "customization" is more in line with. At least Sakurai's definition as he has utilized the word.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Customization has more to do with the attributes of characters and less with actually manipulating the movement of a certain or select characters. Think of the sticker system in Subspace Emissary but apply that to a farther enveloping system without the gimmick of stickers. That to me is what "customization" is more in line with. At least Sakurai's definition as he has utilized the word.
I was joking, although if the Mii's do happen that would be an option. :laugh:

Anyway, I agree, chances are that he ment Stickers may be expanded upon.

Thunder_slash

Smash Cadet
Customization has more to do with the attributes of characters and less with actually manipulating the movement of a certain or select characters. Think of the sticker system in Subspace Emissary but apply that to a farther enveloping system without the gimmick of stickers. That to me is what "customization" is more in line with. At least Sakurai's definition as he has utilized the word.
Good point, and I´m also bored of stickers, i need 11 more to complete the collection, and it becomes just so dull to get them all. A good custom system is the key for taking potential of the Mii, especially in the clothes he uses.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I was joking, although if the Mii's do happen that would be an option. :laugh:

Anyway, I agree, chances are that he ment Stickers may be expanded upon.
I know. I was just using your statement to bring up an over reaching point. Usually Sakurai expands upon existing modes introduced in each game. I expect that to be the case with some of Brawl's many modes.

SwayneGang

Smash Journeyman
After all the stuff I've heard on here today, I'm starting to worry: Will Nintendo survive long enough for the next Smash games? They most likely will, but at what cost?

For the next Smash games, I'll be satisfied with the following:

- The original 12 stay
- At least 2 new female characters (maybe 3, but that may be pushing it here)
- Snake and Sonic stay
- Overall roster is near (or exceeds) 50
- Stages from all installments
- A good storyline
- Online play
- Add-on content

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
HMMM, maybe when you defeat enemies, you'd get points. At the end of a level, you'd distribute those across the stats already established in Brawl? The ones effected by stickers.

...That is ESSENTIALLY how stickers already work, I suppose. Oh, and I wonder what he meant by "showing off" characters on the WiiU. Using them in the WiiU's single player mode(s)? Online co-op, perhaps...? He did mention he wanted more experienced players to be able to help out novices...

Also I always forget about Miis. I bet they'll be in the trailer. Mii, Tingle, Little Mac, Isaac, Mega Man... TRAILER MATERIAL.

@vicgur: Hell-arious?

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Don't worry. Even if that does happen, Godforbid that you might miss out on the next smash brothers.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Also I always forget about Miis. I bet they'll be in the trailer. Mii, Tingle, Little Mac, Isaac, Mega Man... TRAILER MATERIAL.
I'd replace Tingle with Ridley or a cut character(Mewtwo?), but that's just me. Anyway that sounds about right.

Mega Man would get a lot of hype and the Mii would get a good amount of hype from causel players.

Hopefully though, with a larger roster, we may see even more announced characters in the trailer.

Either way, the Trailer MUST be good. At the moment Nintendo's next Generation depends entirely on this game, as it was the only 1st party game announced; the rest being tech demos. Throw in the fact that investors are already not very happy, this game has a lot riding on it.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
After all the stuff I've heard on here today, I'm starting to worry: Will Nintendo survive long enough for the next Smash games? They most likely will, but at what cost?

For the next Smash games, I'll be satisfied with the following:

- The original 12 stay
- At least 2 new female characters (maybe 3, but that may be pushing it here)
- Snake and Sonic stay
- Overall roster is near (or exceeds) 50
- Stages from all installments
- A good storyline
- Online play
- Add-on content
Nintendo will weather this storm. It is Iwata I'm more concerned about...

As for everything else; I agree with you.

...That is ESSENTIALLY how stickers already work, I suppose. Oh, and I wonder what he meant by "showing off" characters on the WiiU. Using them in the WiiU's single player mode(s)? Online co-op, perhaps...? He did mention he wanted more experienced players to be able to help out novices...
Probably a specific mode, both online and off, where you can specifically use your "enhanced" character in matches.

I seem to be one of the few guys who actually like Miis...
I think they have some good charisma goin' on, there. Not to mention they're funny as hell.
For me I just cannot see anything about them that would excite me. Maybe if I could see them in action I would walk away with a different opinion. Since we are not at that moment I am only left with my opinions.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I'd replace Tingle with Ridley or a cut character(Mewtwo?), but that's just me. Anyway that sounds about right.

Mega Man would get a lot of hype and the Mii would get a good amount of hype from causel players.

Hopefully though, with a larger roster, we may see even more announced characters in the trailer.

Either way, the Trailer MUST be good. At the moment Nintendo next Generation depends entirely on this game, as it was the only 1st party game announced; the rest being tech demos. Throw in the fact that investors are already not very happy, this game has a lot riding on it.
Ridley and Mewtwo would, UNFORTUNATELY, totally be unlockable material. Other than third-parties, I don't recall Sakurai ever wanting to reveal secrets like that. ...But I sooo wish he would say "Due to being so demanded, we decided to reveal Ridley in the trailer. He will be, however, a secret character when you purchase the game." OR SOMETHING.

I agree that he should reveal more characters though, especially since the roster will be so big. IF HE DIDN'T MIND REVEALING SECRET CHARACTERS, he should totally show off Ridley, Mewtwo, Medusa, Bowser, and Ganondorf... Maybe reveal a bit of the plot to the story mode too. BUT THERE'S JUST NO WAY TO PREDICT WHAT DIRECTION THE TRAILER WOULD GO...

D

Deleted member

Either way, the Trailer MUST be good. At the moment Nintendo's next Generation depends entirely on this game, as it was the only 1st party game announced; the rest being tech demos. Throw in the fact that investors are already not very happy, this game has a lot riding on it.
Personally for a trailer, I think a trailer containing Ridley, King K. Rool, Isaac, Little Mac, and Mega Man would make the best possible trailer.

And I agree with the last paragraph. The fans are heavily divided now and there is huge friction that is only matched by the recent Capcom's events with Mega Man. This is a bold statement here, but the fate of the Wii-U and Nintendo's next gen results depends on this sole game. There is no other game most core gamers will be willing to buy now and if this game disappoints, Nintendo will likely lose next gen.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
I bolded the key words in that sentence.
As nLiM8D said, way to get technical. Based on this wording, Sakurai would prefer to represent larger franchises that emphasize or include significant characters with true legacies.

This could affect the chances of lesser-known franchises like The Legendary Starfy or Sin and Punishment, as those franchises are lesser-known.

However, based on the wording alone, Sakurai wouldn't be too interested in Mii's as playable characters, as the "Mii" series isn't very character-driven. Their chances more rely on the great success of the Wii.

Not really. Casual players probably don't care for Miis as much as we do, and they are not really ones who would pay attention to an SSB4 announcement with throbbing hearts. :p I mean, I haven't heard from any casual players any sudden want for Miis in a Smash Bros. game.

I honestly think Miis would be a terrible trailer choice, as most gamers don't care for them. They have a decent chance of being playable due to their significance, but they're not trailer material, IMHO.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Fantastic, Hot Java joins the action!

Here I was all upset :'( that you were going to be gone until the weekend.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I honestly think Miis would be a terrible trailer choice, as most gamers don't care for them. They have a decent chance of being playable due to their significance, but they're not trailer material, IMHO.
Oh, come now. You know they'd milk the hell out of "Put yourself on the field of battle alongside Nintendo's biggest stars!"

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Oh, come now. You know they'd milk the hell out of "Put yourself on the field of battle alongside Nintendo's biggest stars!"
Sad but true, knowing nintendo that's more than likely what they're gonna do.

If anything they could make the Miis a part of the audience Paper style.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
However, based on the wording alone, Sakurai wouldn't be too interested in Mii's as playable characters, as the "Mii" series isn't very character-driven. Their chances more rely on the great success of the Wii.

Not really. Casual players probably don't care for Miis as much as we do, and they are not really ones who would pay attention to an SSB4 announcement with throbbing hearts. :p I mean, I haven't heard from any casual players any sudden want for Miis in a Smash Bros. game.

Meh, some people like them some don't, either way they do have a shot.

Good point though, they probably won't be paying attention to the trailer, but then again that's why they're casual gamers. :laugh:

Also on a side though, do the Japanese like Miis? Not just for Smash, but in general.

OmegaXXII

I beg to disagree, it's not onlt the wii's that it depends on, it's also Nintendo's mascot aside from Mario from this new generation, they aren't seimply going to ignore, especially in a game as big as Smash.

vicgur

Smash Ace
I don't care who is gonna be in the trailer, as long as it causes as much impact as Brawl's did.
I mean, I don't think I was the only one who almost crapped his pants aftes seeing that huge fireball attack that later was gonna be called Mario Finale...

OmegaXXII

I don't care who is gonna be in the trailer, as long as it causes as much impact as Brawl's did.
I mean, I don't think I was the only one who almost crapped his pants aftes seeing that huge fireball attack that later was gonna be called Mario Finale...
I agree with this, we should just wait and see who make it in or not and be surprised at the end.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
Personally for a trailer, I think a trailer containing Ridley, King K. Rool, Isaac, Little Mac, and Mega Man would make the best possible trailer.
This would be an awesome trailer for Smash Bros. fans, but for the general gaming community, Isaac is the one questionable choice. Golden Sun is still a small, cult popularity series - it hasn't reached the heights of popularity worldwide that other Smash Bros. franchises have met, and it's most recent installment is generally considered the weakest in the series so far.

I'd choose Medusa over Isaac. Assuming KI Uprising becomes a hit as it's cooking up to be, Kid Icarus will be totally popular among gamers and would also be a relevant franchise to feature in an SSB4 trailer.

Fantastic, Hot Java joins the action!

Here I was all upset :'( that you were going to be gone until the weekend.
I'm only here temporarily. I still have a fair amount of homework to do, so my stay will be brief.

I need to get myself off this site. It's like an addiction. :p

Yes, they would. But is that cheesy quote really going to persuade editors from Electronic Gaming Monthly and Game Informer, or even your basic Nintendo gamer that Miis are all that cool?

I don't think so. :p

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Really? The team rocket is extremely valid, after all, they have their appearances in Pokemon yellow, one of the most important games of the series! And besides, they are the most popular option!

Oh, and your argument is invalid! after all, Rob was originally from a hardware and it is playable!
lol. No. By that logic, Naruto is allowed in because he's appeared in a video game. Pokemon Yellow is based off the anime. R.O.B's situation is completely different.

So yeah, who's invalid again?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
If anything they could make the Miis a part of the audience Paper style.
Y'know, back in the Brawl days I was hoping for the Mii Boxing Ring to be a stage, and all your Miis would appear randomly in the audience cheering you on. Thought that would be SO COOL.

I suppose that could also be done for WuHu Island.

Yes, they would. But is that cheesy quote really going to persuade editors from Electronic Gaming Monthly and Game Informer, or even your basic Nintendo gamer that Miis are all that cool?

I don't think so. :p
Probably so?

Whether or not THOSE GUYS think they're cool, Sakurai would still want to show off that little feature. Even if only as a concept, it's still pretty neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom