• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Miis could work. Besides, the announcer for Brawl (the VA name eludes me) did some voice samples for other characters, such as:

- King K. Rool
- Ridley
- Tails
- Krystal
- Megaman (even his Japanese name "Rockman")
- Miis
That was fake...

Hoots

Can Be Combative
As far as trailer characters go, the only one I think is guaranteed is Ridley. I'd say Little Mac if he had ANY support. As far as third parties, Professor Layton would be an obvious choice.

Also, have I been noticing a lack of Layton support lately? Has my absence really made you all forget the merits of fighting like a gentlemen?

:phone:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Haha, way to put somebody ideas down. :/

What ideas? All he did was list characters who have been argued about for umm, I don't know, five years. He didn't have an idea. He just stated something, which was actually false.

Also, have I been noticing a lack of Layton support lately? Has my absence really made you all forget the merits of fighting like a gentlemen?
If I'm going to pick a not Megaman character, I'm voting for Bomberman. (Everything sounds better than Megaman though)

What??? How was it fake??
Someone who just sounds like him made those. They aren't actually the announcer.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
As far as trailer characters go, the only one I think is guaranteed is Ridley. I'd say Little Mac if he had ANY support. As far as third parties, Professor Layton would be an obvious choice.

Well, you need to stick around more and convince some of the newer crowd, did you ever check out Star's Layton based stage?

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
I'd personally like to see

not a Japanified Ghost in the Shell / System Shock hybrid

About Third Party representation, I would say that Professor layton should be first to bat during the reveal trailer. That would create more hype for Megaman.

That or utter disillusionment...

vicgur

Smash Ace
Oh, man...
All this talk about Ridley reminds me of the pre-Brawl times, when I was SURE he'd make it into Brawl.
I'm VERY afraid Sakurai will DESTROY my dreams again...
Hopefully, he got all the "polite advices" he needed, and now he is gonna think about the idea of having him/it playable...

Probably Geno.
If it happens, I'll be the happiest gamer alive[almost].

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Probably Geno.
Personally I'd be for it. But you know as well as I do it is going to either Dragon Quest and/or Final Fantasy. When people ask for a SquareEnix character it is typically with those two series in mind. Now if Geno somehow happens to appear in Fortune Street I will say he has a shot; if not he is going to stay dead as a doornail.

I'd agree with that. In my ideal roster, the third parties are Slime or Slime/Chocobo, Professor Layton, and Megaman.

I pretty much agree with this. Throw in Sonic the Hedgehog and I'm content.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai doesn't have to anything like that. He should, but he can make a good roster based off Nintendo's ideas alone, forgetting even Japanese fans. Little Mac is not a stand out. He's just as stand out as Isaac, Tom Nook, RPG characters, ect. He's in the big ocean of newbies as well.
I don't think Sakurai is going to go just on his sole judgement here or advice from Nintendo. As I've said before, newcomers are running slim and we are out of obvious choices for the developers. A good way for Sakurai to build up ideas for the character roster is to look at popular requests to give him a better idea of who to put and who not to put. I'm not saying popularity is everything and should be the sole factor (I think importance is more important as relevancy important as well), but it'll play a role in who gets in.

I do support Layton as a third-party rep. I actually did talk about his chances a little on GameFAQs in the "Character Chances - Will They Make It" thread (made by me). Just scroll for it for my thoughts on his chances. However, I will say that he is among the more likely third-party characters (although still below 50%).

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
That's pretty funny, how many 'Newcomers' showed up during Brawl's reveal?

Pit, Zamus, and Wario are hardly 'new' by any instance of the term.

If anything, Ike and Olimar would be the only 'new' franchises to be represented via globally recognition.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
@Star

By chance, have you seen my wishlist...?
I cannot say I have?

Wow, we should get Shulk vs. Cloud!!!

SHUT YOUR HEATHEN TONGUE!

That's pretty funny, how many 'Newcomers' showed up during Brawl's reveal?

Pit, Zamus, and Wario are hardly 'new' by any instance of the term.

If anything, Ike and Olimar would be the only 'new' franchises to be represented through global appeal.
In the E3 2001 Melee trailer Peach, Bowser, Sheik, and Ice Climbers were the newcomers revealed.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Who's new to All Star(dom)? That's my concern.

In that regard Star, Shiek would fit the bill, maybe IC's too.

D

Deleted member

Here's my list of third-party characters I'd like to see, although obviously, not all of them will make it nor do I expect any of them due to being third-party:

* Mega Man (Most wanted by far)
* Slime or Slime/Chocobo
* Professor Layton
* Ryu Hayabusa
* Tails (Depends if Sonic returns and if a new third-party character gets in first)
* Bomberman
* Geno

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
@Swayne If it's the audio file where the announcer says fifty different "MEGAMAN! ROCK MAN ROCKMAN ROCKMEN!" Then yes. It's a fake.

@Star

You know I was kidding. The only reason I see a DQ character likely, is after I saw the support Nintendo is still giving the series. In general though, my vote goes for a generic FF character. Black Mage comes to mind. If Sakurai wants to be a cool kid, then he could add Sora or Geno. But he probably won't.

@SSBF,

I think you need to read more closely. I was saying things like "He could, and he should" implying that this isn't what he is going to do. Instead of just taking that as fact, you twisted what I said, and made it sound like I was suggesting that Sakurai makes decisions based on solely what Nintendo thinks. This is what he's been doing for the past three games, and still will continue to do. I'm not a new poster, so you don't have to regurgetate ideas that I myself have already thought of months ago and talked about with everyone here.

Stuff like this:
As I've said before, newcomers are running slim and we are out of obvious choices for the developers. A good way for Sakurai to build up ideas for the character roster is to look at popular requests to give him a better idea of who to put and who not to put. I'm not saying popularity is everything and should be the sole factor (I think importance is more important as relevancy important as well), but it'll play a role in who gets in.
don't bother tacking on a bunch of nonsense. You know, or at least should know, I already have taken all of this into account. You weren't intentionally talking to me like an idiot, but I read it like that, so yeah. No more puking on me please.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Who's new to All Star(dom)? That's my concern.

In that regard Star, Shiek would fit the bill, maybe IC's too.
Personally? I think people take the "All Stars" tag waaaay too seriously. If you wanted my honest opinion on who I feel are the newcomers that actually have "star power". Here is the list:

-Ridley
-Toad
-Bowser Jr.
-Mewtwo
-Little Mac
-Dixie Kong
-King K. Rool
-Mii

Here's my list of third-party characters I'd like to see, although obviously, not all of them will make it nor do I expect any of them due to being third-party:

* Mega Man (Most wanted by far)
* Slime or Slime/Chocobo
* Professor Layton
* Ryu Hayabusa
* Tails (Depends if Sonic returns and if a new third-party character gets in first)
* Bomberman
* Geno

Smaller picture that still gets the point across.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Dammit Star, I love you but I've seen, heard, and felt about enough of the presence of Dragon Quest for one week. Real Talk.

If anything, if you're getting at something. I 'Personally' feel I can take my seriousness about all stars to any level I choose, especially after Snake's inclusion. I made my point clear, let that be the end of any abrasiveness if there is any.

Aside from that, yes that list is appropriate even though that wasn't what I was getting at.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Dammit Star, I love you but I've seen, heard, and felt about enough of the presence of Dragon Quest for one week. Real Talk.

If anything, if you're getting at something. I 'Personally' feel I can take my seriousness about all stars to any level I choose, especially after Snake's inclusion. Let that be the end of any abrasiveness if there is any.
You do realize the only reason I do it is because it irks people so much? Otherwise I could care less since I don't even think we are getting any third party characters. Funny how it works? Yes I'm a closet troll among other things. I just put on a better face for the cameras. lol ;)

Well my address about the all star label was just a general comment. It is not unsubstantiated as one of the reasons Sakurai likely overlooked the Assist characters were likely due to their relatively low status. Being even worse for the Western audience.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
You do realize the only reason I do it is because it irks people so much? Otherwise I could care less since I don't even think we are getting any third party characters. Funny how it works? Yes I'm a closet troll among other things. I just put on a better face for the cameras. lol ;)
What else are you hiding in the closet? haha :awesome:

Anyways, do you guys think adding on clones in Melee was a good move, sales wise? Having a higher character count was pretty much the reason they were added. I feel like no matter WHAT they did, the fans were going to be mad.

No clones: "WHERE IS GANON!!?? ERG!"

Clones: "WHY IS GANON A CLONE!? ERG!"

D

Deleted member

Shantae is an interesting and obscure third-party choice. Unfortunately, the chances of that happening is near zero.
Personally? I think people take the "All Stars" tag waaaay too seriously. If you wanted my honest opinion on who I feel are the newcomers that actually have "star power". Here is the list:

-Ridley
-Toad
-Bowser Jr.
-Mewtwo
-Little Mac
-Dixie Kong
-King K. Rool
-Mii
Personally, I don't think being "All-Star" really matters that much and I don't think it helps or hurts a character's chances. But these would fit.
Starphoenix said:

Smaller picture that still gets the point across.
I'd love to be able to expect at least either Slime and/or Mega Man to make the cut, but while they definitely have a shot of getting in, I'd rather not set myself up for disappointment, knowing the difficult process of getting third-party characters in.

However, if it is true that Dragon Quest will remain exclusive to Nintendo platforms for the time being, then I'll consider expanding upon what you said and putting it in an essay form. They could very well be the 2nd third-party character I consider to be plausible.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Perhaps it pertains at how much fans will RAAAAAGE if Megaman doesn't make the cut...

behavior wise.

Yo, do you guys think that smash will go with that cliche ol' fantastic 4 logo on the game cover?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom