• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
lol. No. By that logic, Naruto is allowed in because he's appeared in a video game. Pokemon Yellow is based off the anime. R.O.B's situation is completely different.
Y'know that would be really weird if it happened, but regardless, pokemon Yellow is part of the Pokemon Franchise so....

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
There is no other game most core gamers will be willing to buy now and if this game disappoints, Nintendo will likely lose next gen.
Booji, theres no way that could be legit.

Nintendo has seen good marks across the board and seeing as how they're more inclined to lend an ear to third party developers, I'd say they're gonna be tight in the race.

We all knew that the shelf life of the Wii was going to be limited, right when they began to focus on gimmicks. But it was those gimmicks that had gave them a leg up in the first place.

If I could have a solid experience such as through runner up titles like Skyward Sword after Twilight Princess, Galaxy 2, and especially the last hurrah of the catalog Return to Dreamland. I'd take that in a heartbeat over Black Ops, **** Blocks, Garden Warefare, booji title after title.

I need to get myself off this site. It's like an addiction.
Tell Me about it. :scared:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Okay, why in the world is everyone demoting Xenoblade to just having a level? You're passing up on probably one of the most interesting character opportunities Nintendo has to offer for characters like Chibi freaking Robo.

But is that cheesy quote really going to persuade editors from Electronic Gaming Monthly and Game Informer, or even your basic Nintendo gamer that Miis are all that cool?

I don't think so.
And watch as everyone mains themselves just like people do on Mario Kart Wii online. Besides, despite what anyone thinks the Mii's are just as much of a face of Nintendo as Mario, Link, Pikachu, and Peach are.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
As nLiM8D said, way to get technical. Based on this wording, Sakurai would prefer to represent larger franchises that emphasize or include significant characters with true legacies.

This could affect the chances of lesser-known franchises like The Legendary Starfy or Sin and Punishment, as those franchises are lesser-known.

However, based on the wording alone, Sakurai wouldn't be too interested in Mii's as playable characters, as the "Mii" series isn't very character-driven. Their chances more rely on the great success of the Wii.
Yes, because of that that is likely what kept them out of playable contention in Brawl. Now that select assist characters (Saki, Starfy, and Isaac) have amassed a much larger fanabase. Also having a latest installment in all three series. There is going to be more of a demand that Sakurai cannot ignore this time around. Especially when pickings are slim.

Remember, this was at the time where there was only Wii Sports and Wii Play. Now Mii's have exploded everywhere culturally. Now moving, or invading, onto the 3DS. The "Mii" is as much of an icon now as Mario and Donkey Kong. Technically they are capable of fighting as they have battled in several different games.

If I could have a solid experience such as through runner up titles like Skyward Sword after Twilight Princess, Galaxy 2, and especially the last hurrah of the series Return to Dreamland. I'd take that in a heartbeat over Black Ops, **** Blocks, Garden Warefare, booji title after title.
This to the 100th power!

OmegaXXII

Nintendo has seen good marks across the board and seeing as how they're more inclined to lend an ear to third party developers, I'd say they're gonna be tight in the race.

We all knew that the shelf life of the Wii was going to be limited, right when they began to focus on gimmicks. But it was those gimmicks that had gave them a leg up in the first place.

If I could have a solid experience such as through runner up titles like Skyward Sword after Twilight Princess, Galaxy 2, and especially the last hurrah of the series Return to Dreamland. I'd take that in a heartbeat over Black Ops, **** Blocks, Garden Warefare, booji title after title.
Whoa!! nLim8d is getting serious, whoa!! i agree with this guy's point here.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Huh, how would this come about anyway?
Essentially the manner in which Oasis described it.

all your Miis would appear randomly in the audience cheering you on. Thought that would be SO COOL.

I think that now that the standard controllers are starting to become more incorporated in the flow of the gameplay, we could see extra players interacting with the game. This is a party title after all.

I think I heard somewhere that the audience could throw things at the players, the example being something they didn't like (planking, camping, stalling).

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

If I could have a solid experience such as through runner up titles like Skyward Sword after Twilight Princess, Galaxy 2, and especially the last hurrah of the catalog Return to Dreamland. I'd take that in a heartbeat over Black Ops, **** Blocks, Garden Warefare, booji title after title.
I agree.

But either way, it can't be denined Nintendo has much more riding on this title then normal games. At least with the Wii they had several games to back them up, but with the Wii U, Smash so far is all alone on the 1st party front.

We all know Nintendo has something up it's sleve, and that's what we're all counting on, and why the Wii U won't be a failure.

OmegaXXII

Remember, this was at the time where there was only Wii Sports and Wii Play. Now Mii's have exploded everywhere. Moving onto the 3DS. The "Mii" is as much of an icon now as Mario and Donkey Kong. Technically they are capable of fighting as they have battled in several different games.
This is what I was telling him before, it makes sense to do so because they are iconic within Nintendo now.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
They might be piggybacking the same success story that paved the way for star titles such as Melee what did for the Gamecube.

We can expect some solid experiences thereafter, seeing what they could accomplish with the wii, 50-60 will be worth your effort (and theirs too, they really want you now).

SwayneGang

Smash Journeyman
I agree.

But either way, it can't be denied Nintendo has much more riding on this title then normal games. At least with the Wii they had several games to back them up, but with the Wii U, Smash so far is all alone on the 1st party front.

We all know Nintendo has something up it's sleeve, and that's what we're all counting on, and why the Wii U won't be a failure.

I'm 100% with this. I don't want to see Nintendo go. They made gaming what it is today; not these blood-and-gore, GTA, 1st person shooting crap that people call "kick-*** games."

OmegaXXII

Essentially the manner in which Oasis described it.

I think that now that the standard controllers are starting to become more incorporated in the flow of the gameplay, we could see extra players interacting with the game. This is a party title after all.

I think I heard somewhere that the audience could throw things at the players, the example being something they didn't like (planking, camping, stalling).

Wow, I like the idea behind it, maybe the audience can throw Sroom's as well as "bad" items to make things more interesting.

:phone:

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Yes, because of that that is likely what kept them out of playable contention in Brawl. Now that select assist characters (Saki, Starfy, and Isaac) have amassed a much larger fanabase. Also having a latest installment in all three series. There is going to be more of a demand that Sakurai cannot ignore this time around. Especially when pickings are slim.

Remember, this was at the time where there was only Wii Sports and Wii Play. Now Mii's have exploded everywhere culturally. Now moving, or invading, onto the 3DS. The "Mii" is as much of an icon now as Mario and Donkey Kong. Technically they are capable of fighting as they have battled in several different games.

This to the 100th power!
I personally LOATHE the idea of Mii's being in Smash. Way to waste a slot on a nameless avatar that doesn't even have a distinct look. I can understand why Nintendo would do it, but I really don't think people play Smash to play themselves. Sure, in a stupid gimmicky game like Wii Resort and MKWii you can have them since it isn't a big deal? They have BABY DAISY AND DRY BOWSER. Racers are just racers who all do the same thing. NSMB had 2 random, generic toads. On the other hand, Super Smash Bros is a (revered) series that is literally a collection of NINTENDO ALLSTARS. The Mii is not one of these. Even ROB who is a stupid toy saved the gaming industry and has a unique charm with the whole robot thing over a sloppy rendition of me(they have horrible options for long hair) with a bright orange shirt and black pants. I consider the Mii as a decent contender, but absolutely hate the idea.

TL;DR: If we're gonna have an avatar in SSB4, it should be Aang, not the Mii.

*seewutididthar????? Trololololo!

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
But either way, it can't be denined Nintendo has much more riding on this title then normal games. At least with the Wii they had several games to back them up, but with the Wii U, Smash so far is all alone on the 1st party front.
No. Nintendo just hasn't shown what they have yet. Nintendo has been showing off what's left to coem of the Wii and 3DS. So far, this title isn't going to pull a Melee with the gamcube. We have no reason to believe that either. It could, but I'm pretty sure Nintendo has a heck of a lot of games up their sleeve. The Wii U will do just fine.

The Mii is not one of these.
Remember the Wii? Wii Sports is the most bought game of all time. Yeah, the Mii's are definitely one of them.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Because there is a lot riding on the inevitable E3 Super Smash Bros. 4 trailer, I expect us to see two trailers. One showing the connectivity between the 3DS and Wii U. The other our cinematic trailer unveiling the first batch of newcomers. If any of the guests are returning I expect to see them in the trailer alongside other veterans so as to build hype.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
TL;DR: If we're gonna have an avatar in SSB4, it should be Aang, not the Mii.

*seewutididthar????? Trololololo!
I Love you, from the bottom of my heart, this guy is fantastic whenever he drops by.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I'm 100% with this. I don't want to see Nintendo go. They made gaming what it is today; not these blood-and-gore, GTA, 1st person shooting crap that people call "kick-*** games."
Me too.

As for shooters, they were fun in moderation, but now it's rediculous. Everything is a shooter, and it's making me sick (not in that sense).

Give me Goldeneye, Doom, and Halo 1 (the now retro shooters) and I'm set.

Either way, I do have confidence Nintendo won't fail. If they could make it past the Virtual Boy they can make it through most anything. Come next year, Nintendo will be back.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Oh, I see, so it's possible to get two different trailer versions then?

Oh yeah, I forgot about the 3DS. Sweet, double the hype! :awesome:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Trying to debate whether Miis constitute as a character or not is going to enter Inception-esque area that I'd rather not tread into. Miis, by every definition of the word, are the quintessential Nintendo icon this generation apart from Mario himself. Denying that is just silly. Even though I find them to be an uninteresting idea there is no debating their status. They are up there with Mario, Pikachu, Donkey Kong, and Link.

Oh, I see, so it's possible to get two different trailer versions then?

Melee's E3 reveal had two trailer segments. One cinematic, the other gameplay and highlights.

Dangit. I hate it when I re-read my sentence's and find comma splices.

OmegaXXII

Because there is a lot riding on the inevitable E3 Super Smash Bros. 4 trailer, I expect us to see two trailers. One showing the connectivity between the 3DS and Wii U. The other our cinematic trailer unveiling the first batch of newcomers. If any of the guests are returning I expect to see them in the trailer alongside other veterans so as to build hype.
Hmm...so two updated trailers huh? Well I'm obviously going to look forward to the character trailer, just like most people are as well.

D

Deleted member

JavaCroc said:
This would be an awesome trailer for Smash Bros. fans, but for the general gaming community, Isaac is the one questionable choice. Golden Sun is still a small, cult popularity series - it hasn't reached the heights of popularity worldwide that other Smash Bros. franchises have met, and it's most recent installment is generally considered the weakest in the series so far.

I'd choose Medusa over Isaac. Assuming KI Uprising becomes a hit as it's cooking up to be, Kid Icarus will be totally popular among gamers and would also be a relevant franchise to feature in an SSB4 trailer.
I think what makes Isaac E3-worthy is that he was the star of the best selling (over a million worldwide) and best received game, along with him still being relevant to the series and the most important character in the Golden Sun series.

Really, E3 2012 trailer can take many direction. The sad part being is that the only newcomer we can expect to be reveal is Little Mac.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
LOL why? Because the consumer recieved a copy of Wii Sports with their purchase of the console? :troll:

I think what makes Isaac E3-worthy is that he was the star of the best selling (over a million worldwide) and best received game, along with him still being relevant to the series and the most important character in the Golden Sun series.
Exactly.

We're sure about quite a few elements of KI:U that make Medusa a significant pick.

I'd advise that we don't go comparing apples to oranges. Especially in this case where Pit lucked out and Isaac got shafted.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
The sad part being is that the only newcomer we can expect to be reveal is Little Mac.
Even though he has little to no fanbase in Japan? (as far as we have heard) I'm going to say he has no better chances than the other popular smaller franchises. Really, it should be Tom Nook, but you know how Sakurai feels about him.

Worked for Mario, didn't it?
Not to mention all the other games they were the main characters in sold extremely well. Some of the best selling games for the Wii. They were in MKWii, which is a major title. As well as a ton of other titles. Arguing against their iconism is kind of silly.

D

Deleted member

Little Mac may not have much of a fan base in Japan, but I still would be surprise to not see him in. Sakurai will have to take a more global view towards character request and a perfect way to satisfy the western fans demand is have Little Mac in. With the newcomer picking slimming, Sakurai can't afford to just look at Japan.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
What? Wait a minute Mario? A plumber on shrooms Mario?

I drink your milkshake....

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Little Mac may not have much of a fan base in Japan, but I still would be surprise to not see him in. Sakurai will have to take a more global view towards character request and a perfect way to satisfy the western fans demand is have Little Mac in. With the newcomer picking slimming, Sakurai can't afford to just look at Japan.
Sakurai doesn't have to anything like that. He should, but he can make a good roster based off Nintendo's ideas alone, forgetting even Japanese fans. Little Mac is not a stand out. He's just as stand out as Isaac, Tom Nook, RPG characters, ect. He's in the big ocean of newbies as well.

SwayneGang

Smash Journeyman
Miis could work. Besides, the announcer for Brawl (the VA name eludes me) did some voice samples for other characters, such as:

- King K. Rool
- Ridley
- Tails
- Krystal
- Megaman (even his Japanese name "Rockman")
- Miis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom