• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris the Ripper

Banned via Administration
Why aren't bans permanent?

I have played some of No More Heroes at a friend's room in college. I just got so sick of the character so goddamn fast. Like I said, how hard are they trying to be a sleazier Deadpool? It doesn't matter if that's not ALL to him. Regardless of motivation, he is still a total douchebag. That's all I'm saying.

Anyways, regarding Geno, I think most of the hate for him is from people who just never played SMRPG and have never really heard of him till Smash speculation so they just don't consider him.
I love you too bro :troll: ,but srsly,why not Duke? He has a chance right?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I guarantee you Travis Touchdown will never touch the next game. Nor do I want him too for that matter. You want to talk about an undeserving third party franchise and character, there you go. Difference between Snake and Travis Touchdown is this, Metal Gear Solid is a popular and successful series. Neither of which No More Heroes is. I loathe Cloud, I truly do, but even HE has more of a reason to be in the next title than Travis Touchdown.

No way this will ever happen. Period.
I can understand Solid Snake, but any other character from any M rated titles should stay away from Smash Bros..

In other words, I do agree with most of your statements.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
can't say i understand how Sakurai mentioning Geno alot means nothing, that could actually mean alot! (depending on what he said about him, what did he say about him anyway?)
and whats up with these rules? please do explain how these rules people are making control Sakurai's decisions? (although sure some make sense, but others we don't know if he would care about those stuff)
Cause so far that's been the case when introducing new characters. Even the retro characters they have always been the protagonists.
I am unconvinced Geno has a chance of making it. I've read all the arguments and stuff from years ago and it doesn't matter how important Mario RPG was in the late 90s, I still think Bowser Jr. and Toad are more likely.

Cause they've appeared in more than one game.
AND belong to Nintendo.

I don't hate Geno, btw. I just don't understand how can anybody fathom him as likely.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Starphoenix said:
That doesn't mean anything. There is no way to tell if he wasn't just being loud or serious. Especially from someone who kind of revels in shock.
He was serious, if anything his quote was hinting heavily that it'll happen, he was too specific

Starphoenix said:
I doubt it, you need to go to Capcom Unity and see how inundated they are with requests for Capcom to contact Nintendo. I'm sure people within Capcom are noticing.
And that was different from the pre-brawl era? if Inafune himself wanted megaman in smash, and Infafune was not only one of the head guys of capcom but would do things without his permission, and it STILL didn't happen, what makes this time any more special? Thing is if anything Mega's chances are LOWER cause Inafune left, and even canceled Megaman Universe and haven't green lit Megaman Legends 3 yet, if anything Mega's chances look WORSE.

Tho Ono expressed interest in adding megaman or M. bison to smash if given the chance, he's seriously Mega's last hope.

Starphoenix said:
Meh, that is subjective as anyone can bring something to the table. And playing a game doesn't mean much in an age where you can practically visually play it through Youtube and such.
Yes it does, I can watch stuff on youtube, but I won't have the same attachment to the characters like I would If I were playing. Point still stands, if you haven't played it, you have no right to say who should or shouldn't be added.

Starphoenix said:
Yes he is very hesitant. He had originally planned to add more third party characters from Metal Gear Solid and Sonic the Hedgehog but scrapped the idea so as to not upset those who may be displeased with guest characters to begin with.
Link please, cause I call BS on this

Starphoenix said:
That is because Nintendo sought to advertise those series. The only third party series Nintendo has taken active roles in advertising has been Dragon Quest and Professor Layton.
No, they only left them cause after American audiences saw footage of the FE characters they showed interest in playing as them, so they left them. After that fans were interested in FE and Custom Robo, the rest is history.

Starphoenix said:
Ooooooohhh yes he will.
No he won't, why would he bring make people RETHINK in purchasing smash bros 4?

Starphoenix said:
Not going to debate that one as I've done it to death already, but he has much more going for him than you realize. Magic, items, summoning other Slimes, ability to morph and shift his body. That is more than enough.

Point still stands, he's a generic character, a common enemy, it's like adding metroid as a playale character, a goomba, a goblin, a servbot.
The SSBB roster will never be added by generic enemies/characters like koopa troopas or hammer bros (pokemon is the exception since pokemon are generic and stuff)

Chris the Ripper

He was serious, if anything his quote was hinting heavily that it'll happen, he was too specific

And that was different from the pre-brawl era? if Inafune himself wanted megaman in smash, and Infafune was not only one of the head guys of capcom but would do things without his permission, and it STILL didn't happen, what makes this time any more special? Thing is if anything Mega's chances are LOWER cause Inafune left, and even canceled Megaman Universe and haven't green lit Megaman Legends 3 yet, if anything Mega's chances look WORSE.

Tho Ono expressed interest in adding megaman or M. bison to smash if given the chance, he's seriously Mega's last hope.

Yes it does, I can watch stuff on youtube, but I won't have the same attachment to the characters like I would If I were playing. Point still stands, if you haven't played it, you have no right to say who should or shouldn't be added.

No, they only left them cause after American audiences saw footage of the FE characters they showed interest in playing as them, so they left them. After that fans were interested in FE and Custom Robo, the rest is history.

Point still stands, he's a generic character, a common enemy, it's like adding metroid as a playale character, a goomba, a goblin, a servbot.
The SSBB roster will never be added by generic enemies/characters like koopa troopas or hammer bros (pokemon is the exception since pokemon are generic and stuff)
I agree with everything you said except the rethinking of purchasing Ssb4 thing. I'll by it no matter who they have in it.

Stryks

Smash Hero
I have played some of No More Heroes at a friend's room in college. I just got so sick of the character so goddamn fast.

Playing SOME of NMH isn't enough for you to see why a lot of people like the character. If you only see bits of the game then you won't appreciate the character.

Imagine if the only experience I've had with Metroid and Samus is when she freezes against ridley in other m.

Is that enough for me to judge the character?
of course not

I agree with everything you said except the rethinking of purchasing Ssb4 thing. I'll by it no matter who they have in it.
see? why would people hesitate in buying the game for ONE character?

Chris the Ripper

Playing SOME of NMH isn't enough for you to see why a lot of people like the character. If you only see bits of the game then you won't appreciate the character.

Imagine if the only experience I've had with Metroid and Samus is when she freezes against ridley in other m.

Is that enough for me to judge the character?
of course not
I agree with you yet again.Taking some footage of a character isnt enough to judge that particular character,even if you played half the game.Thats just HALF the game.

D

Deleted member

@Starphoenix: I'm assuming that comment was directed at me, correct? If so, I will explain my reasoning for why I think Travis Touchdown has a slight chance of getting in (Notice that I said slight, not large).
Ithra said:
so just wondering, do you guys think Geno has a chance? and if so by how much?

Geno is the character i'm most hoping to see be playable in Smash 4, but i could see it being less likely since Square owns the rights.
I would say yes he does, but not by much (Only abuot 15%).
Starphoenix said:
Forget Genosect, I'm changing my avatar to this! This is too epic! lol
I'd actually be curious to see a spot taken by both Chocobo and Slime as partners. Gives us a Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest rep.
ChronoBound said:
This.

Travis Touchdown is shaping up to be the Geno of Smash 4, as in an obscure third-party character in which all "kewl" kids support.
I wouldn't necessarily say that. At least he has move set potentials and Suda 51 has expressed interest in getting him in, not to mention I doubt support would be as large as Geno's. My choice goes to Phoenix Wright, who has no move set potential and fans actually want him in. Now that's shocking to me.
Chris the Ripper said:
Guys,srsly. Does Duke Nukem have a chance in Ssb4? He can be toned down to T for teen
Not without destroying his personality. He barely has any chance at all, not to mention his latest game was not so greatly received. Good luck getting him in.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
No, that is not the context of what he said. Now you are twisting it to support your argument. You can't interject your own meaning into a statement.

"I love him, and I want him to be a huge star," Suda tells Nintendo Power. "That’s why I’m working very hard to make this game as interesting as possible. Maybe in the future, we can see him fighting alongside Link in the next Smash Bros. [laughs] That would be great."
That does not sound anything like what you are saying. He was making a joke while expressing his enjoyment if that happened. This does not equal beating down Sakurai's door as you have tried to paint that picture.

And that was different from the pre-brawl era? if Inafune himself wanted megaman in smash, and Infafune was not only one of the head guys of capcom but would do things without his permission, and it STILL didn't happen, what makes this time any more special? Thing is if anything Mega's chances are LOWER cause Inafune left, and even canceled Megaman Universe and haven't green lit Megaman Legends 3 yet, if anything Mega's chances look WORSE. Though Ono expressed interest in adding megaman or M. bison to smash if given the chance, he's seriously Mega's last hope.
I'm not going to debate either way. Megaman is one of (if at this point the absolute most) the most highly requested character and has been since the time of Brawl. It is up to Capcom, but since they seem to love the idea of crossovers and doing small things for their fans there is no saying that they won't or will.
You don't always need to experience something to know whether it is of quality or not.

Please, like I'm going to get a kick out of lying for the sake of winning an internet argument. That's like being prom queen at your homeschool.

I don't recall if it was in an Iwata Aks feature or an interview. But I'll track it down.
It doesn't matter. The point still stands that Nintendo sought an interest in advertising them.

I didn't say not purchase, unsatisfy.

Yeah because being the mascot of a major series and having your own spin off games are delegated to common enemies... Next time we get "The Adventures of Goomba", we will talk.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Travis Touchdown is a good character for his own game. NMH kicks ***, but really, I don't think he fits in the game.

Yeah, I know Snake made it in, but why should there be another M-rated 3rd party character, when there are so much more iconic, and better 3rd party characters out there?

Megaman, pretty much everyone knows him.
Pacman , same as above, except more.
Simon Belmont, Castlevania's a successful, long running brand.
(better known 3rd party choices, that aren't half as bloody)

The character is pretty cool, and I get my laughs from that game, but some characters just aren't the type to be in a smash bros. game. :p And while technically he could be in the game (he fulfills all requirments), a character that decapitates his enemies for a living isn't exactly what comes to mind when I think of Nintendo.
It's almost no different from adding Kratos.

Again, nothing against Travis. I like the dude, but he's too brutal.

Ithra

Smash Rookie
Cause so far that's been the case when introducing new characters. Even the retro characters they have always been the protagonists.
I am unconvinced Geno has a chance of making it. I've read all the arguments and stuff from years ago and it doesn't matter how important Mario RPG was in the late 90s, I still think Bowser Jr. and Toad are more likely.

Cause they've appeared in more than one game.
AND belong to Nintendo.

I don't hate Geno, btw. I just don't understand how can anybody fathom him as likely.
right the being a an importent character to the series i get, and is a very good point, i don't honestly think Geno has a huge chance but i can see reasons why he might be considered.
seeing as he's made it very high on Sakurai's poll would have shown him he is wanted.
and if Sakurai's actually been mentioning the idea that also would lead me to believe there may be a chance he might be considered. and plus Geno is a very unique character who could easly have a good move set.
and since he does obviously have a following that also adds to it.

but still like you mentioned there is the problem with him being owned by square, that presents the biggest issue of why he wouldn't make it. so basically getting him would be like getting a third party. so thats been making me think for that reason alone it might not happen.

but then again all this talk about slime as gotten me thinking, Nintendo seems to have a really good relationship with square, i mean they are already doing cross overs with mario and square characters, maybe the next step will be to add a square character (possibly slime) to the next smash! and if sakurai decideds he wants Geno maybe he can work out a deal.

but yeah still it is a small chance, but not a long shot.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
but still like you mentioned there is the problem with him being owned by square, that presents the biggest issue of why he wouldn't make it. so basically getting him would be like getting a third party. so thats been making me think for that reason alone it might not happen.
Even if Geno was owned by Nintendo I still wouldn't think of him as likely.

Chris the Ripper

Why are you guys doubting Geno. Every game character at this point has a chance at making it,except the ones that obviously won't fit into Ssb.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
I think that both StarPhoenix and Stryks have made points on Travis Touchdown's potential in the next game. Personally, I would prefer a fourth third-party slot would go to another character such as Slime or Pac-Man (Edit: Or Tetris Block ;)), but I doubt the inclusion of Travis Touchdown would affect my enjoyment of SSB4 in any way.

As for Geno and Mike Jones, I would agree that Geno's chances are definitely lower than 50%, though I'm not sure how much lower. I would say that Mike Jones actually has a lower chance than Geno has, even though I would love him as a retro character in the next game.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I think that both StarPhoenix and Stryks have made points on Travis Touchdown's potential in the next game. Personally, I would prefer a fourth third-party slot would go to another character such as Slime or Pac-Man, but I doubt the inclusion of Travis Touchdown would affect my enjoyment of SSB4 in any way.
Yeah, basically this.

As for Geno and Mike Jones, I would agree that Geno's chances are definitely lower than 50%, though I'm not sure how much lower. I would say that Mike Jones actually has a lower chance than Geno has, even though I would love him as a retro character in the next game.
Well, considering Geno had 4 mentions in the previous Journal, I'd say he has an edge over Mike.

However, in Brawl representation, I think they were on even grounds, seeing as how Geno didn't even have a sticker (confirmation needed).
StarTropics did have a mention in the Chronicles list, I'm sure SMRPG also did.

Also... how was Sakurai's Journal votes counted? Because I find it hard to believe that characters like... I dunno. K.Rool got only 3-4 votes.

Unless he disregarded western voters. I do recall more people in Japan suggesting stages and music over characters.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, basically this.

Well, considering Geno had 4 mentions in the previous Journal, I'd say he has an edge over Mike.

However, in Brawl representation, I think they were on even grounds, seeing as how Geno didn't even have a sticker (confirmation needed).
StarTropics did have a mention in the Chronicles list, I'm sure SMRPG also did.

Also... how was Sakurai's Journal votes counted? Because I find it hard to believe that characters like... I dunno. K.Rool got only 3-4 votes.

Unless he disregarded western voters. I do recall more people in Japan suggesting stages and music over characters.
I thought only Japanese got to vote.

TBone06

Smash Ace
If somehow we managed to see some Super Mario RPG representation in the next Smash I'd love to see music other than just "Beware the Forest Mushrooms".

Super Mario RPG - Boss Theme
Super MArio RPG - ...And My Name Is Booster
Super Mario RPG - Weapons Factory
Super Mario RPG - Smithy
Super Mario RPG - Culex theme ;)
Hahahahahaha Culex theme, might as well throw Cecil a bone as well! Although it's one of the best boss themes ever made (in my opinion of course)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I thought only Japanese got to vote.
Well... The site was in Japanese, but people from outside japan could still vote (if they wrote in Japanese that is).

So yeah, it was meant to be a Japan-only thing, but people from all over the world who could write japanese (or used google translator) ended up voting as well.

Chris the Ripper

I think you guys are making up statistics and rules.Sakurai said this,Sakurai said that. Unless he is interviewed about EACH character you guys suggest,stop saying certain characters won't make it.But again,Im just......saiyan :awesome:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Well... The site was in Japanese, but people from outside japan could still vote (if they wrote in Japanese that is).

So yeah, it was meant to be a Japan-only thing, but people from all over the world who could write japanese (or used google translator) ended up voting as well.
Even then it wasn't a poll if I remember, just suggestions.

Peach Kong

Smash Rookie
If somehow we managed to see some Super Mario RPG representation in the next Smash I'd love to see music other than just "Beware the Forest Mushrooms".

Super MArio RPG - ...And My Name Is Booster
I loved that song. It was probably my favorite in Super Mario RPG.

What are people's thoughts on Takamaru?
Around Smash 64's development, Sakurai said that if Takamaru appeared in another game, he'd probably get into Smash. Takamaru later appeared in Samurai Warriors 3. So I think he's got a pretty good chance at making it in.

Source: http://forum.starmen.net/forum/Stor...ing-a-comprehensive-list-of-unused-characters (third on the list)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Even then it wasn't a poll if I remember, just suggestions.
Ah yeah. It was basically just that. The roster was pretty much decided by then, methinks.

Heck, Sonic was a last minute addition, and by far the most demanded character.... When did they start working on demanded characters then? Pretty late, most likely.

So I have a feeling that even if we get to vote in some sort of official poll, they'll consider only a few characters.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Like I mentioned earlier, I don't think we're getting that many new slots of already represented franchises. I can see K.Rool and Ridley getting in, and a couple of swaps. Other than that, I think it'll mainly be characters from franchises that hadn't made it in before. At least that's the way I see it.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Here is why I stated earlier that Sakurai is hesitant on adding more third party characters.

Masahiro Sakurai: Adding characters from other series and from other worlds, really, outside the Nintendo universe, is an incredibly difficult process. In some ways it's more difficult from just building a game from the ground up because you're really trying to make everything match and in some ways that creates limitations. I hope that people can understand that's the reason we can't include more characters from outside the Nintendo universe. And, of course, I believe that when you increase the number of worlds, you're also increasing the number of people who could potentially enjoy that videogame and the series that you're putting in there. But there are also problems because having these non-traditional characters in there -- even with just Snake and Sonic -- has resulted in a number of people who do dissent in seeing these characters put into the Smash series. It's not a simple matter of adding as many worlds and characters from other games as possible -- you can't be careless in doing that sort of thing, you have to be careful. Internally and externally, there have been people who have raised objections to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom