• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Girahim and Midna ? dude are you smoking something....it's irrelevant comparison. it's obvious Girahim is an antagonist.....BTW guys Ganondorf was never included to SSB in my prespective... it was just another captain falcon to me....
It doesn't matter if one is an antagonist; they're both really important characters in their respective games, but one time only characters. Midna didn't even get an AT, and she in TP beginning to end. I don't see how Ghirahim has any better chance just cause he's a villain.

Hell, I still think if we're getting a new zelda rep it's going to be Tingle, but I doubt we're getting another zelda rep at all.

Stryks

Smash Hero
It doesn't matter if one is an antagonist; they're both really important characters in their respective games, but one time only characters. Midna didn't even get an AT, and she in TP beginning to end. I don't see how Ghirahim has any better chance just cause he's a villain.

Hell, I still think if we're getting a new zelda rep it's going to be Tingle, but I doubt we're getting another zelda rep at all.

amor read my 1st post on the previous page

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I guarantee you Travis Touchdown will never touch the next game. Nor do I want him too for that matter. You want to talk about an undeserving third party franchise and character, there you go. Difference between Snake and Travis Touchdown is this, Metal Gear Solid is a popular and successful series. Neither of which No More Heroes is. I loathe Cloud, I truly do, but even HE has more of a reason to be in the next title than Travis Touchdown.

No way this will ever happen. Period.

Stryks

Smash Hero
I guarantee you Travis Touchdown will never touch the next game. Nor do I want him too for that matter. You want to talk about an undeserving third party franchise and character, there you go. Difference between Snake and Travis Touchdown is this, Metal Gear Solid is a popular and successful series. Neither of which No More Heroes is. I loathe Cloud, I truly do, but even HE has more of a reason to be in the next title than Travis Touchdown.

Did you play No More Heroes? cause most of if not everyone that I've ever met that has played the series absolutely loves it.

NMH has a cult following, and it's one of the more successful hardcore titles on the wii, gaining a sequel even. It's a fan favorite series among Wii owners. The reason sonic was added is because sega contacted nintendo, and the reason snake is added is because Kojima contacted Sakurai, it's never the other way around. If Suda can contact Sakurai then there's a chance Travis can get it.

Not to mention Suda is one ballsy dude, and if he can right down admit that he wants his character in smash, then he'll do what he can to get him in there.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
@starphoenix: wow, I never knew you felt so strongly about the issue, but I must say even if Travis Touchdown does star in what some might say underdog series, would he still have a chance at it if his creator did indeed beg? After all he is Kojima friend :/

Hoots

Can Be Combative

****ing agreed. Hey I have an idea! Let's shaft actually popular and deserving 3rd party reps and put in a douchebag anime fan with a lightsaber to appease his 7 fanboys. It makes sense because the dude who created him will ask Sakurai! The same thing happened with Snake who is totally on the same level as a guy named TRAVIS TOUCHDOWN, and not a massively iconic and popular pillar of video game history or anything.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Did you play No More Heroes? cause most of if not everyone that I've ever met that has played the series absolutely loves it.

NMH has a cult following, and it's one of the more successful hardcore titles on the wii, gaining a sequel even. It's a fan favorite series among Wii owners. The reason sonic was added is because sega contacted nintendo, and the reason snake is added is because Kojima contacted Sakurai, it's never the other way around. If Suda can contact Sakurai then there's a chance Travis can get it.

Not to mention Suda is one ballsy dude, and if he can right down admit that he wants his character in smash, then he'll do what he can to get him in there.
Your point is? I can name you many other third party series that have characters with much stronger ties and success on and with Nintendo and their platforms.

Keiji Inafune twice, prior to Brawl, expressed interest in Megaman appearing in a Smash Bros title, nothing ever came of it. Sakurai is very hesitant to add third party characters to begin with, the last thing he is going to do is add a character to alienate the fanbase. I already know what your counter point is going to be and no it is not the same situation as Solid Snake.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Think I'm with Star on this one. Mr. Touchdown is gross.

Slime would be so much better. By the way, would RPG fans want to buy Sm4sh just because Slime is in it? I mean, I definitely fell in love with the Metal Gear series after seeing Snake in Brawl... (Or well, I forced my friend to play them all while I watched, lolol :V )

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
I don't remember ever Inafume saying directly that he wanted Mega Man in twice. He only kept saying that Nintendo never asked Capcom anything and viceversa. Of course it was all about RE4 being on PS2.

At first, I really didn't saw Travis in, but if Suda wants him, then it is likely he will get in.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Think I'm with Star on this one. Mr. Touchdown is gross.

Slime would be so much better. By the way, would RPG fans want to buy Sm4sh just because Slime is in it? I mean, I definitely fell in love with the Metal Gear series after seeing Snake in Brawl... (Or well, I forced my friend to play them all while I watched, lolol :V )
Slime aside. If you want to go with a modern, successful, pro-Nintendo series then hands down that should be Professor Layton. It really should. Plus he won't alienate half of the freaking fanbase.

OmegaXXII

It's agreed and the fact is Slime has better ties with Nintendo, not to mention he's a very popular character.

I could very well see slime over Travis ANYDAY!!

Hoots

Can Be Combative
It's agreed and the fact is Slime has better ties with Nintendo, not to mention he's a very popular character.

I could very well see slime over Travis ANYDAY!!
Amen. Everyone here knows that I am not a fan of Slime being in Smash 4 (even though I like it as a character, just not in Smash as a rep for a company as expansive as Square), but I would much much much rather see him in over Travis Touchdown any day of the week. At least Slime is recognizable by everyone.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Amen. Everyone here knows that I am not a fan of Slime being in Smash 4 (even though I like it as a character, just not in Smash as a rep for a company as expansive as Square), but I would much much much rather see him in over Travis Touchdown any day of the week. At least Slime is recognizable by everyone.
Slime riding a Chocobo. Best of both Square and Enix. Problem solved.

Slime and Chocobo

Ithra

Smash Rookie
so just wondering, do you guys think Geno has a chance? and if so by how much?

Geno is the character i'm most hoping to see be playable in Smash 4, but i could see it being less likely since Square owns the rights.

OmegaXXII

No Geno!! Even though he has a nice fanbase, Slime definetly is more popular, and is the most likely Square rep aside from Black Mage, but I'll agree with Hoots, even he he isn't 'meant' for smash the idea still sounds pretty cool.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
I don't think Geno has a snowball's chance in hell. Popularity among older fans is all he's got.

Stryks

Smash Hero
I'm not saying Travis is more deserving.
I'm not.
I know for a fact Megaman and other characters are far more deserving than Travis, however no other developer so far has gone to say that 'I want my character in smash', and that's the ballsy type of guy Suda is, he says it straight.

Inafune expressed interest in adding Megaman but capcom never approached Nintendo to do so. And now Inafune is no longer working at Capcom, so I hope capcom doesnt hold a grudge against him and doesn't contact nintendo because of it.

Travis in my opinion can bring more to the table, with his multiple beam katanas and wrestling moves, plus the special abilities he has in game. I haven't played Proffesor Layton so I can't really say if he's worthy or not to be in the game, and you guys shouldn't have a say if a certain character should be in the game or not if you haven't played the game.

Sakurai is very hesitant to add third party characters to begin with, the last thing he is going to do is add a character to alienate the fanbase. I already know what your counter point is going to be and no it is not the same situation as Solid Snake.
Sakurai isn't hesitant, it's that he doesn't approach the companys, the companys approach Sakura.
He didn't hesitate at all by adding Snake into brawl simply because Kojima begged to add him, simple as that, suda can do the same.

Because adding Marth and Roy, unknown characters to us in America meant it alienated the fan base.
Oh wait no it didn't it made us more interested in Fire emblem and custom robo (cause of the trophys) and they brough them to America, making them thus more popular.

Adding Travis won't alienate fanbases, people that are gonna buy smash will buy it regardless if Travis is in the game or not, and if he's included NMH will only be more popular. Considering NMH is one of the few original IP hardcore games that came out of the wii that still supported it with a sequel when nothing was selling on the Wii, I think that alone is a good reason to bring add a character whose series deserves more recognition and success than it gets.

And people, cmon, there's no way a limbless, generic character like slime will be in the game

Hoots

Can Be Combative
so just wondering, do you guys think Geno has a chance? and if so by how much?

Geno is the character i'm most hoping to see be playable in Smash 4, but i could see it being less likely since Square owns the rights.
Personally, I prefer the air... I mean... Personally, I think his chances are very real to make it in Smash. I think we will be seeing more third party reps and since Square Enix is so popular and has very good ties with Nintendo it is realistic to expect an SE rep. Even though Geno was a party member in one game, Super Mario RPG was an iconic game on the SNES. In addition, Geno became essentially the mascot of that game and developed a huge following. This dude was so popular that the only character that tied him in most mentions in Sakurai's Brawl journal was KING ****ING DEDEDE, Sakurai's wet dream. Yes, that is correct. Geno was mentioned the same amount of times as the character that Sakurai VOICED. Not to mention his design is extremely unique and appealing and he has huge potential for a great and different moveset. Ergo, although people will tell you there isn't a chance in hell, I'd be willing to say that they're wrong.

Stryks

Smash Hero
If you haven't played the No More Heroes then there's no way you can say whether or not Travis will be in the game.

Those that have played the game will realize why he's such a great character and why the series is such a cult hit

Ithra

Smash Rookie
Personally, I prefer the air... I mean... Personally, I think his chances are very real to make it in Smash. I think we will be seeing more third party reps and since Square Enix is so popular and has very good ties with Nintendo it is realistic to expect an SE rep. Even though Geno was a party member in one game, Super Mario RPG was an iconic game on the SNES. In addition, Geno became essentially the mascot of that game and developed a huge following. This dude was so popular that the only character that tied him in most mentions in Sakurai's Brawl journal was KING ****ING DEDEDE, Sakurai's wet dream. Yes, that is correct. Geno was mentioned the same amount of times as the character that Sakurai VOICED. Not to mention his design is extremely unique and appealing and he has huge potential for a great and different moveset. Ergo, although people will tell you there isn't a chance in hell, I'd be willing to say that they're wrong.
yeah that was more around what i was thinking, i feel saying he has a 0% chance is pretty far off, but saying he's a shoo in is also not accurate really.

personally i think he has alittle under a 50/50 chance

Hoots

Can Be Combative
If you haven't played the No More Heroes then there's no way you can say whether or not Travis will be in the game.

Those that have played the game will realize why he's such a great character and why the series is such a cult hit
People say he is a great character for the same reason they say Entourage is a great show. Doesn't make it true. A guy with a RED leather jacket, skinny jeans, YELLOW aviator sunglasses, spiked hair, who rides an anime motorcycle with a lightsaber ripoff who says **** like "Smokin' hot chick" and "bada bing" and "bro" and "this could totally suck" and "this cat." I don't mean to be a ****, but how is that cool to anyone older than like 13? Oh wow! He breaks the fourth wall! What a HILARIOUS AND AWESOME GUY! Oh please. Like Deadpool didn't wear that gimmick out years ago...

Reyairia

Smash Champion
More like 15/85 to me, if not less.

It doesn't matter if Geno was mentioned by Sakurai a lot, he didn't even make it as an AT. He hasn't gotten a game since the 90s, which would be fine (Ice Climbers), but he wasn't even the main character in that game - Mario was, whatever you want to argue, and he doesn't even belong to Nintendo.

I don't see why you guys think he has a chance.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'm not saying Travis is more deserving.
I'm not.
I know for a fact Megaman and other characters are far more deserving than Travis, however no other developer so far has gone to say that 'I want my character in smash', and that's the ballsy type of guy Suda is, he says it straight.
That doesn't mean anything. There is no way to tell if he wasn't just being loud or serious. Especially from someone who kind of revels in shock.

Inafune expressed interest in adding Megaman but capcom never approached Nintendo to do so. And now Inafune is no longer working at Capcom, so I hope capcom doesnt hold a grudge against him and doesn't contact nintendo because of it.
I doubt it, you need to go to Capcom Unity and see how inundated they are with requests for Capcom to contact Nintendo. I'm sure people within Capcom are noticing.

Travis in my opinion can bring more to the table, with his multiple beam katanas and wrestling moves, plus the special abilities he has in game. I haven't played Proffesor Layton so I can't really say if he's worthy or not to be in the game, and you guys shouldn't have a say if a certain character should be in the game or not if you haven't played the game.
Meh, that is subjective as anyone can bring something to the table. And playing a game doesn't mean much in an age where you can practically visually play it through Youtube and such.

Sakurai isn't hesitant, it's that he doesn't approach the companys, the companys approach Sakura.
He didn't hesitate at all by adding Snake into brawl simply because Kojima begged to add him, simple as that, suda can do the same.
Yes he is very hesitant. He had originally planned to add more third party characters from Metal Gear Solid and Sonic the Hedgehog but scrapped the idea so as to not upset those who may be displeased with guest characters to begin with.

Because adding Marth and Roy, unknown characters to us in America meant it alienated the fan base.
Oh wait no it didn't it made us more interested in Fire emblem and custom robo (cause of the trophys) and they brough them to America, making them thus more popular.
That is because Nintendo sought to advertise those series. The only third party series Nintendo has taken active roles in advertising has been Dragon Quest and Professor Layton.

Adding Travis won't alienate fanbases, people that are gonna buy smash will buy it regardless if Travis is in the game or not, and if he's included NMH will only be more popular. Considering NMH is one of the few original IP hardcore games that came out of the wii that still supported it with a sequel when nothing was selling on the Wii, I think that alone is a good reason to bring add a character whose series deserves more recognition and success than it gets.
Ooooooohhh yes he will.

And people, cmon, there's no way a limbless, generic character like slime will be in the game
Not going to debate that one as I've done it to death already, but he has much more going for him than you realize. Magic, items, summoning other Slimes, ability to morph and shift his body. That is more than enough.

In case it needed to be done...
Forget Genosect, I'm changing my avatar to this! This is too epic! lol

OmegaXXII

Dude, I actually agree with Stryks, Travis may be a bit of an *******, but just like Solid Snake he can be toned down specifically for Smash.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

This.

Travis Touchdown is shaping up to be the Geno of Smash 4, as in an obscure third-party character in which all "kewl" kids support.

Stryks

Smash Hero
People say he is a great character for the same reason they say Entourage is a great show. Doesn't make it true. A guy with a RED leather jacket, skinny jeans, YELLOW aviator sunglasses, spiked hair, who says **** like "Smokin' hot chick" and "bada bing" and "this cat." I don't mean to be a ****, but how is that cool to anyone older than like 13?

Because that's all there is to him right?
It's the character within the game, not from what you've seen in trailers.
He goes from being a nameless assassin to the top ranks to avenge someone dear to him, only to realize that someone he loved betrayed him in the process. He shows that while he's an assassin he also believes in a fair fight and respects their opponents in battle.

In the 2nd game you see him lose a close friend, one of his only friends really, and he's out for revenge, but instead of being an unknown assassin, he's the assassin everyone looks up to, some even want to know how he left the ranks, for they don't want to be hunted by other ranked assassins anymore.

This, plus his charisma, humor, attitude, 4th wall breaking persona that makes him such a likeable character, he might start of as an assassin that simply wants to get laid but later on he remembers why he's fighting for (cause he forgot, amnesia-like thing), he's far more interesting that most other characters I've met or played as in other games.

so again, until you play the games, until you see why the series has such a following, only then will you realize why people want him in smash, including his own creator.

If you're gonna go and say which character should or shouldn't be in the game because of appearance then you're just being shallow, you don't know the character, so why should you have a say in his or her chances?

Ithra

Smash Rookie
More like 15/85 to me, if not less.

It doesn't matter if Geno was mentioned by Sakurai a lot, he didn't even make it as an AT. He hasn't gotten a game since the 90s, which would be fine (Ice Climbers), but he wasn't even the main character in that game - Mario was, whatever you want to argue, and he doesn't even belong to Nintendo.

I don't see why you guys think he has a chance.
can't say i understand how Sakurai mentioning Geno alot means nothing, that could actually mean alot! (depending on what he said about him, what did he say about him anyway?)
and whats up with these rules? please do explain how these rules people are making control Sakurai's decisions? (although sure some make sense, but others we don't know if he would care about those stuff)

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Well,what about Duke Nukem :troll:
Why aren't bans permanent?

I have played some of No More Heroes at a friend's room in college. I just got so sick of the character so goddamn fast. Like I said, how hard are they trying to be a sleazier Deadpool? It doesn't matter if that's not ALL to him. Regardless of motivation, he is still a total douchebag. That's all I'm saying.

Anyways, regarding Geno, I think most of the hate for him is from people who just never played SMRPG and have never really heard of him till Smash speculation so they just don't consider him.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Exactly, I think this is a reason why Midna and/or Zant weren't added into the game because Sakurai had no knowledge of what they could do and if they would be popular with the fans.

also about toon link:

It's gonna happen, it's pretty much a given now that there will be a Toon Link/Young Link to go along with the main 3 (Link, Zelda, Ganondorf).

Not to mention in the poll for brawl Toon Link was a japanese favorite so I don't really think he's going anywhere.

I'm certain they'll add Ghirahim or someone else from Skyward Sword to the roster
I'm not. They didn't include Midna from Twilight Princess, why would they include Ghirahim?
Yeah if anything, Ghirahim will either be an Assist Trophy, or a collectible trophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom