• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Technically, if he hadn't had that Gamecube appearance, he would still be considered retro. I'm not expecting him to go retro until the 9th gen. My opinion is that if a series has not had a game since three generations ago, relevancy doesn't matter that much. Therefore, the SNES right now could be considered retro and the N64 will be considered retro next gen. Since Doshin The Giant is not relevant, his chances of getting in is very poor, especially since nobody appears to want him in (I could easily do without him as well).
I want Doshin. :embarrass:

He's cool. He can sprout mountains out of the ground. He's a giant but can change size. He's everywhere you wanna be.

But really, people keep trying to think of unexpected or "wtf" type choices, but they all conform to the same stuff which always irks me. There's loads of weird stuff out there in Nintendo's history that no one looks at, because it came after the NES. :c

D

Deleted member

Has anyone thought of a Mega Man stage?
There's the Dr. Wily Fortress that everyone seems to be talking about. What would also be interesting is either Central Highway from Mega Man X (If X is playable) or the intro stage in Mega Man 7.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Why would Sakurai try so hard to impress the old generation of gamers?Thats easy,because he's not! Nintendo is obviously trying to target the new generation AND the old generation as well,but they're mostly trying to focus on the newer ppl :p
I'm sorry, where do you get these facts from? Source please?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Am I the only one who is rooting for a Namco franchise. . .? Not Pac-Man, or Klonoa and certainly not Jin.

I'm talking about a franchise who has once housed 3rd parties like Link and Lloyd. Soul Caliber. They have had two games on Nintendo systems: Soul Caliber 2 for the Gamecube, and Soul Caliber Legends for the Wii. If the Wii U gets its hands graced with SC5, a supposed revamp to the series, than we have ourselves a nice little resume. I know they aren't likely, but I'm rooting for eitherCassandra or, Nightmare.

Am I the only one who would like to see this series both make it onto the Wii U and Smash? I think either character would fit in fine. If Snake can work, anyone can.

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one who is rooting for a Namco franchise. . .? Not Pac-Man, or Klonoa and certainly not Jin.

I'm talking about a franchise who has once housed 3rd parties like Link and Lloyd. Soul Caliber. They have had two games on Nintendo systems: Soul Caliber 2 for the Gamecube, and Soul Caliber Legends for the Wii. If the Wii U gets its hands graced with SC5, a supposed revamp to the series, than we have ourselves a nice little resume. I know they aren't likely, but I'm rooting for eitherCassandra or, Nightmare.

Am I the only one who would like to see this series both make it onto the Wii U and Smash? I think either character would fit in fine. If Snake can work, anyone can.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think at one point sakurai said regarding third parties that he wanted to avoid characters from other fighters. If I'm wrong, I wouldn't mind seeing a soul calibur character.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think at one point sakurai said regarding third parties that he wanted to avoid characters from other fighters. If I'm wrong, I wouldn't mind seeing a soul calibur character.
That cold totes be true, but I've personally never seen confirmation of this. I have heard of it before though.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92

Cassanadra is replaced from Soul Calibur 5.... and you want her in SSB.4

refugee

Smash Journeyman
By the time SSB4 comes out, I'm sure The Last Story and Xenoblade will be available everywhere. So I hope for Kanan(The Last Story) or Shulk?(Xenoblade). I'm not a big fan of the main protagonist of the last story. I think Kanan is much more interesting/the face of the game.
I'm pretty sure this game is owned by the non-Nintendo company known as Mistwalker.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Story

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I want Doshin. :embarrass:

He's cool. He can sprout mountains out of the ground. He's a giant but can change size. He's everywhere you wanna be.

But really, people keep trying to think of unexpected or "wtf" type choices, but they all conform to the same stuff which always irks me. There's loads of weird stuff out there in Nintendo's history that no one looks at, because it came after the NES. :c
My vote goes towards Muddy Mole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWCXnrD7g1U

I went out of my way and was actually able to find a copy of the game a few years back and, I might be going out on a limb here, but I would say it's one of the best games Miyamoto has ever directed. It's a shame it never caught on.

D

Deleted member

Yes. I'm pretty sure it works similar to the way Golden Sun and Sin & Punishment does.

@Pieman

Is this game obscure and weird enough for you? x) Does anyone know who owns Mischief Makers? It was made by the same people as Sin and Punishment, but it was published by Nintendo.
I think it was published by Enix in Japan. I'm assuming that Square Enix may own the series and if that is the case, we have next to zero chance of us getting the game considering the obscurity of the game.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Honestly if there was a shot for Marina in Smash 4 I would be ALL for that

I also emulated Bass Tsuri No. 1, it has some redeemable qualities actually

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
My dream roster would include all of these characters.

But technically, I could settle for either Mike Jones or Little Mac. :p

4 year wait is going to kill me.

KCJ506

Smash Cadet
Do you guys think characters from games that haven't been released in Japan have a chance? For instance I would like Mike Jones from Startropics to be in, but it was never released in Japan. Not even on the VC. And don't they have a say in most of the roster?

Sakurai should also listen to what the US would like also. Mike's status as an American and European only character would be a nice counter to the Japanese characters like Lucas or Marth (the latter of whom was Japanese only back when SSBM first came out); expose Japan to the wonders of StarTropics, I say.

4nace

Smash Ace
For other character discussion. Super Smash Brothers Melee to Brawl saw the first character cuts. Mostly all clones with the exception of Mewtwo, but still, cuts were made.

With that being said. Which Brawl characters do you think are most likely getting the axe?

I would say Wolf and Toon Link (unless they differentiate him) seem to be the most likely. Then again, I could see Jigglypuff finally getting the axe that she deserves.

-4nace

Barbasol

Smash Ace
I'd say Wolf and Toon Link, are the biggest wastes of space... though I don't care who's been in what game longer, Jigglypuff isn't relevant anymore. Not even classic status should save her, because in the grand scheme, she's only important BECAUSE shes in smash bros.

So... yeah.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
There's been something I've been wondering about when it comes to the first trailer. Brawl's first trailer revealed five new characters in order to build hype for the game and I think they made some good choices. There were two very popular characters from big franchises, a new female, a retro character, and a third party character. Suppose they were to follow this formula again, who do you think would fit the bill best?
I'm gonna go with this, especially since Melee did the same thing more or less except I treat the last one as Other (Zelda and Snake).

1. Toad - Very popular character from a big franchise.
2. Little Mac - See above, doesn't qualify for retro anymore.
3. Krystal - New girl character.
4. Muddy Mole - Retro character, and Sakurai MIGHT have had his eye on him at one point.
5. Megaman (ugh) or Saki - Other

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm betting on snake and sonic being cut, though I pray not Sonic. I don't care much for Snake.

Geno for Smash 4, because it hasn't been said in too long

Edit: I hope Sonic Boom returns in Smash 4. That song is just really catchy

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Sonic hasn't had a good game in a decade, I wouldn't care if he stays or goes.

Replace Solid Snake with Naked Snake because of Snake Eater 3DS remake, obviously.
in a non-sarcastic MGS3 note, I hope they can work through the legal trouble to get Snake Eater with lyrics. I want to be fighting as Little Mac against Takamaru and I want the singer to tell me that one day I'll feed on a tree frog, damn it.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Sonic hasn't had a good game in a decade, I wouldn't care if he stays or goes.

Replace Solid Snake with Naked Snake because of Snake Eater 3DS remake, obviously.
in a non-sarcastic MGS3 note, I hope they can work through the legal trouble to get Snake Eater with lyrics. I want to be fighting as Little Mac against Takamaru and I want the singer to tell me that one day I'll feed on a tree frog, damn it.
I'm still a Sonic fan, all those good times in Sonic's Adventure for the dreamcast, and Sonic and Knuckles for Genesis are still in my mind

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
For other character discussion. Super Smash Brothers Melee to Brawl saw the first character cuts. Mostly all clones with the exception of Mewtwo, but still, cuts were made.

With that being said. Which Brawl characters do you think are most likely getting the axe?

I would say Wolf and Toon Link (unless they differentiate him) seem to be the most likely. Then again, I could see Jigglypuff finally getting the axe that she deserves.

-4nace
Jigglypuff won't get the axe. I don't think she was ever going to get the axe. She might have been "easier" to make than other characters so she was added late to Brawl. Jigglypuff is popular, and IMO her, and Meowth are the only non-movie PKMN with major popularity. (Not including the starters)

Wolf meh, same with Toon Link. Where they stand is beyond us.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
We NEED MORE Sonic CD music. God damn what a soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpo3TmMnx3E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtOM0h-LZus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv7uWG7oZ8M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okKXJMt-nXE

There could be remixes and medleys with good/bad future/past segments with the main song and even then World vs JPN soundtrack differences....

Now I've got myself too hype knowing they won't do this :x
Metal Sonic as an alternate Sonic costume would be awesome. Metal Sonic is my favorite Sonic character, other than Knuckles

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
I can't be online forever, so I'm replying now.
What? Konami is probably not going to take the time with a franchise to include two characters, especially not one from a dead franchise. There is no way the death of Hudson Soft improves Bomberman's chances.
"One-per-company" thinking is incorrect. Negotiations with one company are, logically thinking, easier than negotiations with 2 - that's what I had in mind.
It's the Smash Bros. developers who's actually implementing the characters in game anyway.
btw
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/po...tainment-is-closing-hudson-soft-not-affected/
"The parent company Hudson Soft was recently acquired by Konami and will not be affected by the closure."
^ I can't tell if Bomberman really is a dead franchise. It's their American branch, Hudson Entertainment, who's closed.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'd say Wolf and Toon Link, are the biggest wastes of space... though I don't care who's been in what game longer, Jigglypuff isn't relevant anymore. Not even classic status should save her, because in the grand scheme, she's only important BECAUSE shes in smash bros.

So... yeah.
Wolf is Fox's rival, and the remake of Star Fox 64 pretty much brings him back into action. Toon Link represents the cell-shaded LoZ titles, with the last one being Spirit Tracks. Also, Toon Link and Link have had their own exclusive items; Toon Link has Grappling Hook; Link has Clawshot.

LOL Shadic.

SSBF I notice you're missing Zoroark. I won't complain, those probably took some work, but whaaaaa?
I actually displayed one for Zoroark, though the text is formatted differently.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Do you guys think characters from games that haven't been released in Japan have a chance? For instance I would like Mike Jones from Startropics to be in, but it was never released in Japan. Not even on the VC. And don't they have a say in most of the roster?

Sakurai should also listen to what the US would like also. Mike's status as an American and European only character would be a nice counter to the Japanese characters like Lucas or Marth (the latter of whom was Japanese only back when SSBM first came out); expose Japan to the wonders of StarTropics, I say.
We can only hope so. For Brawl he did say he'd look into characters outside Japan, but in the end he didn't add any. Maybe by now he's come to know more west only franchises (such as StarTtropics). I'm not getting my hopes too high this time, but I hope he notices the game and the character.

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
Jigglypuff won't get the axe. I don't think she was ever going to get the axe. She might have been "easier" to make than other characters so she was added late to Brawl. Jigglypuff is popular, and IMO her, and Meowth are the only non-movie PKMN with major popularity. (Not including the starters)
I think the transition from Smash64 to Melee was probably the roughest. After the anime moved past Jigglypuff, I would wager her popularity started to go down. After the decision to put her in Melee was decided upon, it set the precedence for the preservation of the original 12.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Looking at the game's raw data, there's a decent amount of evidence that Young/Toon Link and Jigglypuff were initially cut but then added back in at a later date for whatever reason. They were added back into the game around the same time as Wolf was added in so that would explain their absence from the SSE. There's a side of me that thinks that Sakurai strongly wants to cut Jigglypuff but is concerned about the backlash from fans since she's been part of the series for so long.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Looking at the game's raw data, there's a decent amount of evidence that Young/Toon Link and Jigglypuff were initially cut but then added back in at a later date for whatever reason. They were added back into the game around the same time as Wolf was added in so that would explain their absence from the SSE. There's a side of me that thinks that Sakurai strongly wants to cut Jigglypuff but is concerned about the backlash from fans since she's been part of the series for so long.
I THINK that Sakurai kept Jigglypuff and cut Mewtwo because Jigglypuff is more unique while Lucario is basically an updated/improved Mewtwo. Jigglypuff is, after all, a filler for the fourth Pokemon slot in Brawl. Sakurai probably figured that since Mewtwo is so unpopular with the competitive community, so why not just cut him and keep Jigglypuff?

We can only hope so. For Brawl he did say he'd look into characters outside Japan, but in the end he didn't add any. Maybe by now he's come to know more west only franchises (such as StarTtropics). I'm not getting my hopes too high this time, but I hope he notices the game and the character.
You make it sound like all the Brawl newcomers are Japan-only. The only Japan-only characters we got were Marth (at the time) and Lucas. Star Tropics is probably our best America-only franchise. Are anyone really asking for Mr. Stevenson from Gumshoe or the titular character Tin Star? Nope, it is all on Mike Jones, the hero of Star Tropics.

I think the transition from Smash64 to Melee was probably the roughest. After the anime moved past Jigglypuff, I would wager her popularity started to go down. After the decision to put her in Melee was decided upon, it set the precedence for the preservation of the original 12.
Oh, sure. Melee set the precedence for the preservation of the original 12 BUT it did not set the precedence for keeping third-party characters out of Smash, right?! :awesome:

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I THINK that Sakurai kept Jigglypuff and cut Mewtwo because Jigglypuff is more unique while Lucario is basically an updated/improved Mewtwo. Jigglypuff is, after all, a filler for the fourth Pokemon slot in Brawl. Sakurai probably figured that since Mewtwo is so unpopular with the competitive community, so why not just cut him and keep Jigglypuff?
Sakurai doesn't give two ****s about the competitive community, I highly doubt the reason Mewtwo was cut was because Sakurai happened to notice that Melee had Mewtwo in low tiers. Come on, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom