• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

splat

Smash Lord
since we have NOTHING to go off of people are literaly grasping for anything that might provide clues. Even nonexistent patterns. i just go with it
And still, the only pattern there really is, is that Sakurai is in charge of the game's development. Sakurai doesn't appear to care about patterns, but more what he feels like is the right decision.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Nope it barely does....but if you main a main something... I think Skyward Sword is going to have the best elements from all the Zelda series+A damn good story....Good Story = Good villain and I believe whoever is the villain I bet he will be way better than Ganondorf and by the way does the word "Origin" mean anything to you ? because that what skyward sword going to be.
We don't even know who/what the true villain is yet. For all we know, Ghirahim might only be a mere pawn used by someone more sinister.

Skyward Sword may be taking place before Ganondorf was ever born, but even so, it's not like Skyward Sword is the only game that'll be looked at.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
since we have NOTHING to go off of people are literaly grasping for anything that might provide clues. Even nonexistent patterns. i just go with it
I do believe there's no pattern not so ever....let's take Fire Emblem for example, Sakurai wanted to show the world how awesome Fire Emblem is so he just took Marth and than thought that he will do an advertisement to the new game that's coming soon. So that's why he took off Roy from SSBB because he wasn't a true second character for SSB. he was just their as a filler and advertisement and I believe Ike is staying and the only characters that got the boot are non-unique except for Mewtwo but when you see it that way I see it from another perspective Lucario is way more interesting to play than Mewtwo ever was and he is quite true to his in-game moveset unlike Mewtwo which show that Lucario >>>> Mewtwo in every single aspect as a Fighter.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Horrible, horrible ideas Arcadenik. Just have them all in.
I knew that would be the knee jerk reaction. If we are keeping the roster at 45 slots, max. That means we don't have enough room for all of them. That gives us questions such as these:

- Would you rather have all 35 characters from Brawl plus the 4 cut characters from Melee with 6 newcomers? Who gets added?

- Would you rather have all 35 characters from Brawl with 10 newcomers? Who gets added?

- Would you rather keep at least 30 characters from Brawl with 15 newcomers? If so, who gets the cut? Who gets added?

- Would you rather keep at least 25 characters from Brawl with 20 newcomers? If so, who gets the cut? Who gets added?

TBone06

Smash Ace
I knew that would be the knee jerk reaction. If we are keeping the roster at 45 slots, max. That means we don't have enough room for all of them. That gives us questions such as these:

- Would you rather have all 35 characters from Brawl with 10 newcomers? Who gets added?

- Would you rather keep at least 30 characters from Brawl with 15 newcomers? If so, who gets the cut? Who gets added?

- Would you rather keep at least 25 characters from Brawl with 20 newcomers? If so, who gets the cut? Who gets added?

That's an interesting thought. I would personally have the first option.

ADD

Saki
Medusa
Little Mac
King K. Rool
Issac
Ridley
Bowser Jr.
Megaman
Geno
Another Pokemon rep (whether it be Mewtwo or Zoroark or a different one all together)

I don't see a reason to cut anyone since most of their characters had their own way of playing. I still think there should be more than 45 characters, but if I was limited to adding 10, those would be the additions.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
And still, the only pattern there really is, is that Sakurai is in charge of the game's development. Sakurai doesn't appear to care about patterns, but more what he feels like is the right decision.
if only everybody understood this
I do believe there's no pattern not so ever....let's take Fire Emblem for example, Sakurai wanted to show the world how awesome Fire Emblem is so he just took Marth and than thought that he will do an advertisement to the new game that's coming soon. So that's why he took off Roy from SSBB because he wasn't a true second character for SSB. he was just their as a filler and advertisement and I believe Ike is staying and the only characters that got the boot are non-unique except for Mewtwo but when you see it that way I see it from another perspective Lucario is way more interesting to play than Mewtwo ever was and he is quite true to his in-game moveset unlike Mewtwo which show that Lucario >>>> Mewtwo in every single aspect as a Fighter.
no comment on the lucario-mewtwo thing but i do completely agree with the fire emblem part. i don't foresee ike being cut in favor of a new FE lord

D

Deleted member

Arcadenik said:
What I am about to ask is a rhetorical question but I am going to ask anyway. How does anyone feel about swapping the retro characters we already have in Brawl for new retro characters in SSB4 in order to increase the number of newcomers while keeping the total number of slots on the roster under 45? The retro characters I am referring to are Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, and R.O.B.
I don't like this idea. People love these characters and Sakurai is not about to alienate unique characters like these anytime soon. I love playable as all three of these characters, so they should stay. The only "retro" character I want to see playable is Takamaru.
Arcadenik said:
I would much rather have this. The newcomers should be:

- Mega Man
- Ridley
- King K. Rool
- Ray MK 01/II/III
- Victini
- Starfy
- Takamaru
- Medusa
- Bowser Jr./Paper Mario
- Little Mac

No one deserves to go. Everyone can be either improved or are good enough as they are.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I don't like this idea. People love these characters and Sakurai is not about to alienate unique characters like these anytime soon. I love playable as all three of these characters, so they should stay. The only "retro" character I want to see playable is Takamaru.I would much rather have this. The newcomers should be:

- Mega Man
- Ridley
- King K. Rool
- Ray MK 01/II/III
- Victini
- Starfy
- Takamaru
- Medusa
- Bowser Jr./Paper Mario
- Little Mac

No one deserves to go. Everyone can be either improved or are good enough as they are.
I agree with you. By the looks of it too our additions are pretty similar too (7 if you count my pokemon rep being Victini) I was going to add Ray or Takamaru as well, but when you're limited to 10 choices it makes it tricky. Correct me if I'm wrong but Takamaru had 3 mentions in Sakurai's journal for Brawl?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
What bugs me is why the roster has to be odd numbered. SSB64 had 12 characters total, so I can't see why the roster total can't be even numbered. It makes implementing the 50/50 unlockable setup easier to accomplish.

D

Deleted member

I agree with you. By the looks of it too our additions are pretty similar too (7 if you count my pokemon rep being Victini) I was going to add Ray or Takamaru as well, but when you're limited to 10 choices it makes it tricky. Correct me if I'm wrong but Takamaru had 3 mentions in Sakurai's journal for Brawl?
Yes Takamaru had three mentions in Sakurai's journal. I would have loved to add Saki and Isaac in as well, but that would either push it over 45 or require me to cut someone. I have no problem with cutting Toon Link and Lucas as they are the most undeserving character in the game so that Saki and Isaac can get in.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
What I am about to ask is a rhetorical question but I am going to ask anyway. How does anyone feel about swapping the retro characters we already have in Brawl for new retro characters in SSB4 in order to increase the number of newcomers while keeping the total number of slots on the roster under 45? The retro characters I am referring to are Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, and R.O.B.
You gotta work with me here! how about we lose two, keep one? I would prefer to see Ice Climbers come back. But I like R.O.B and G&W enough too. Ice Climbers, Takamaru and Muddy Mole? Sounds good right? Let the flames begin....

Marvel vs. Capcom 3
That roster pretty much makes me want to throw up in my mouth, your mouth, and any other vacant mouths. Some character choices. . . can never be forgotten, in the bad way.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
What bugs me is why the roster has to be odd numbered. SSB64 had 12 characters total, so I can't see why the roster total can't be even numbered. It makes implementing the 50/50 unlockable setup easier to accomplish.
Because, characters seem to be picked at random. There are no rules on how and why characters are added or removed, no matter what the boards or fans say. It's all dependent on Sakurai's will, and nobody here nor on any board on the internet knows what's going in on his little bowlcut-haired head of his. ;)

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
The roster is one of the few things MvC 3 did perfectly, a great mix of advertising, knowledge of the comics and games, and uniqueness.

Let me
Guess, " omg y is dar no megaman and xmen from the 90s tv show??!"

TBone06

Smash Ace
Yes Takamaru had three mentions in Sakurai's journal. I would have loved to add Saki and Isaac in as well, but that would either push it over 45 or require me to cut someone. I have no problem with cutting Toon Link and Lucas as they are the most undeserving character in the game.
Yeah they are pretty similar, although Toon Link and Link/Lucas and Ness do play different. I see more than 45 characters to be honest. My thoughts are closer to maybe 48. In which I would probably add Ray, Takamaru and maybe one more spot for a random character. It'll be interesting, it's just tough because everything is pure speculation.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Because, characters seem to be added at random. There are no rules on how and why characters are added or removed, no matter what the boards or fans say. It's all dependent on Sakurai's will, and nobody here nor on any board on the internet knows what's going in on his little bowlcut-haired head of his. ;)
I guess, but I'm just thinking about how Mario Kart Wii effectively utilized the 50/50 unlockable setup, and that Smash Bros. should use it too. It's only fair, in general, that 50% of the roster is available from the start, while the other 50% is composed of unlockables.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The reason I kept it at 45 is to lower our expectations and to encourage critical thinking and decision-making to ensure our additions/removals really counted. We cannot just haphazardly add/remove characters. The first choices, the ones with keeping all 35 characters, are conservative and dull. The last choice, the one with keeping 25 characters and adding 20 characters, is too liberal and can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on who gets cut and who gets added.

EDIT: I liked the MvC3 roster. Sure, there is no Mega Man but I got my Amaterasu, Haggar, and Arthur. ;)

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I would cut characters, and characters are going to get cut, I doubt and wouldn't cut some of the most unique choices. If any of them I would cut ROB, nut even then I would only cut him after many others.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
What madness if Zelda series want to move ahead they better put Gannon/Ganondorf as a retro character.....
Except Ganondorf is NOT a retro character. A character has to have only appeared on the Game & Watch titles, the NES, and/or the Famicom to be counted as a retro character.

Anyway, you're nuts to think that Ganondorf is going to get cut.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Except Ganondorf is NOT a retro character. A character has to have only appeared on the Game & Watch titles, the NES, and/or the Famicom to be counted as a Retro character.

Hey dude it's my opinion like it or not and I'm not forcing my opinion I'm just expressing it and supporting it.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Except Ganondorf is NOT a retro character. A character has to have only appeared on the Game & Watch titles, the NES, and/or the Famicom to be counted as a retro character.

Personally, I think that in order to be considered a retro character, that character must not have a game in 15 years. That is roughly one generation of people and three generations of Nintendo consoles. Not only that, but that character must be the protagonist/mascot of their own game series.

D

Deleted member

Shortiecanbrawl said:
That roster pretty much makes me want to throw up in my mouth, your mouth, and any other vacant mouths. Some character choices. . . can never be forgotten, in the bad way.
The only really bad choice of the roster IMO was cutting Mega Man. Can't comment on the Marvel section due to lack of experience, but even if the roster did drop down, it was at least due to balance reason. Most of the Capcom choices were great IMO. However, Smash will have no such excuse since I don't really such much of a problem with it's balance and I'm expecting a considerable increase anyway.
Arcadenik said:
The reason I kept it at 45 is to lower our expectations and to encourage critical thinking and decision-making to ensure our additions/removals really counted. We cannot just haphazardly add/remove characters. The first choices, the ones with keeping all 35 characters, are conservative and dull. The last choice, the one with keeping 25 characters and adding 20 characters, is too liberal and can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on who gets cut and who gets added.
I've already lowered my expectations to 44. 45 would be slightly increasing my expectations. Out of all of twelve characters I really want to see (Ones in my sig plus Ray MK III and Saki Amamiya), I only forsee nine or ten getting in a 44 slots roster.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

EDIT: I liked the MvC3 roster. Sure, there is no Mega Man but I got my Amaterasu, Haggar, and Arthur. ;)
Let's see...

If I were to deduct the 3rd parties (Sonic, Tails, White Mage, Black Mage) and fillers (Bubbles, Eggplant Man) from my roster, the roster total goes down to 44 when one doesn't include the transformations.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
@ArcadeNik

Cut ten characters, get twenty:

[COLLAPSE="Cut:"]
1. Lucario
2. Pokemon Trainer
3. Falco
4. Lucas
5. Sonic
6. Snake
7. Ike
8. Diddy Kong(Solo?)
9. Toon Link
10. R.O.B
[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Add:"]1. Bowser Jr.
2. Diddy/Dixie Team Up
3. King k. Rool
4. Young Link(Deku Nut, Stick, Ocarina, Slingshot) Anything to make him not a clone!
5. Tingle
6. Ridley
7. Krystal
8. Pokemon Trainer May (Blaz/Grov/Mud)
9. Victini
10. Meowth
11. Caeda
12. Samurai Goroh
13. Captain Syrup
14. Medusa
15. Kanan (The Last Story)
16. Little Mac (Punch Out!!!)
17. Matthew (Golden Sun)
18. Andy (Advanced Wars)
19. Lip (Panel De Pon)
20. Takamaru[/COLLAPSE]

D

Deleted member

In the case of forty-five slots (Something around it looks likely), here are the people I would be okay with cutting:

- Lucas (Earthbound doesn't need a second rep, Ness represent the series well enough)
- Toon Link (I'm okay with three Zelda rep and Young Link would probably be a clone.)
- Diddy Kong (Solo) (I much prefer that Dixie and Diddy team up although Diddy should stay regardless)

And here's what I would add:

- Mega Man
- Ridley
- King K. Rool
- Diddy and Dixie Kong (Team)
- Ray MK III
- Victini
- Starfy
- Takamaru
- Medusa
- Bowser Jr./Paper Mario
- Little Mac
- Saki
- Isaac

Hoots

Can Be Combative
In the case of forty-five slots (Something around it looks likely), here are the people I would be okay with cutting:

- Lucas (Earthbound doesn't need a second rep, Ness represent the series well enough)
- Toon Link (I'm okay with three Zelda rep and Young Link would probably be a clone.)
- Diddy Kong (Solo) (I much prefer that Dixie and Diddy team up)

And here's what I would add:

- Mega Man
- Ridley
- King K. Rool
- Diddy and Dixie Kong (Team)
- Ray MK III
- Victini
- Starfy
- Takamaru
- Medusa
- Bowser Jr./Paper Mario
- Little Mac
- Saki
- Isaac
I actually wouldn't hate that. However, Diddy is already established as a solo. No reason to slap on Dixie. Also, how come no one's roster includes Professor Layton? I think he has a very real chance of making it in the game. Plus, Imma be super sad if Tom Nook gets neglected again.

D

Deleted member

Hoots said:
Also, how come no one's roster includes Professor Layton? I think he has a very real chance of making it in the game.
I really don't think Professor Layton will be getting in. Not that he would be a bad character, but not many people want him in and if he gets in, he'll probably be on the 3DS.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
shortiecanbrawl said:
1. Lucario
2. Pokemon Trainer
3. Falco
4. Lucas
5. Sonic
6. Snake
7. Ike
8. Diddy Kong(Solo?)
9. Toon Link
10. R.O.B
[/COLLAPSE]]
While I agree with Falco and R.O.B. and possibly Pokemon Trainer getting replaced by a newer trainer, I don't think Sonic and Ike are going anywhere.

Sonic of course is way too popular for him too get the boot, if Sakurai knows what's right he won't outrage the fans, as for Ike unless we get a new FE game before Smash development starts then it it will be unlikely that Ike will get cut, he's had two games plus recently appeared on Wii in RD, sales in Japan don't mean nothing.

BlueStar03

Smash Cadet
I can't imagine what Professor Layton's moveset would be. I think he'd be better suited as an Assist Trophy, similar to the guy from SimCity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom