• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Can we quit the damn square-enix talk ? and btw don't go and tell something about third party character because they are unreliable, we might get surprised with 0 third character always remember : All character are controlled by one company except 3rd party character bargaining with third party companies might fail some times so never have high hopes.
It'd be pretty unrealistic to say they won't have 3rd party characters after their E3 presentation however.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Slime is definitely surprising. It's just that... He fits in smash. I wouldn't be as surprised as how I was when I found out Snake was in.
It'd be surprising alright. Japan's internet would probably shut down and over here you'd get to see some of the most clueless reactions. It'd be hilarious, I won't lie.

Chris the Ripper

Banned via Administration
Why would Sakurai try so hard to impress the old generation of gamers?Thats easy,because he's not! Nintendo is obviously trying to target the new generation AND the old generation as well,but they're mostly trying to focus on the newer ppl :p

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Please guys can we discuss Nintendo characters only ? because Sakurai will have more freedom when he choose from Nintendo, while choosing guest characters which are 3rd party characters is quite harder and it's unreliable neither Sonic or Snake have high chances to get back , all third party characters have the same chance (it depend on how the company support Nintendo though) , and from what I can tell Square-Enix specially has the lowest chance, because those people are quite picky about their character and I don't recall seeing one of their character in a game developed by someone other than them.

D

Deleted member

Fatmamonice said:
There were two very popular characters from big franchises, a new female, a retro character, and a third party character. Suppose they were to follow this formula again, who do you think would fit the bill best?
For the two very popular characters, that will end up being either Paper Mario/Toad (If Bowser Jr. isn't playable) from the Mario series, King K. Rool, or Ridley. I'm saying the first two if Bowser Jr. is playable because I have no doubts in mind that Ridley will not be a starter. For the female, I'd rather not have three villains revealed, so I'm guessing Diddy and Dixie Kong team up together. For the retro character, I would say Takamaru, but I think he's better suited as an unlockable. Finally, for the third-party, it's Mega Man. However, I'm only expecting four newcomers to be revealed at best: Saki, Mega Man, Little Mac, and Starfy. The rest are suited to have to be unlocked (Mega Man included).

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Can we quit the damn square-enix talk ? and btw don't go and tell something about third party character because they are unreliable, we might get surprised with 0 third character always remember : All character are controlled by one company except 3rd party character bargaining with third party companies might fail some times so never have high hopes.
I'm sorry but...

Don't make such statements without considering the possibilities, first off it would hurt Smash regarding potential sales? Why? Because of Sonic being revealed it created so much hype and nostalgia that it simply made people go out and get Brawl, it's smart marketing by both parties, just because you aren't in favor of 3rd party characters won't mean Sakurai is going to overlook.

3rd party characters may not have a significant role in Nintendo but they certaintly draw crowds that would otherwise overlook the game.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I wouldn't exactly trust companies with cross-overs for new third-party characters just because they've done it. For exactly, I have my doubts about anyone except Sega, Konami, and Capcom getting involved.

Tell me, why is a second Sonic rep and two Final Fantasy rep more likely than us getting Mega Man? Do not use the cross-over argument.
I kind of wish that you didn't bring that up. You're a Mega Man lover, I get it, but not everyone is like you.

I did go through some reviews between Final Fantasy and Mega Man, and it seems that the Mega Man franchise had some games that were ranked lower than the lowest ranked Final Fantasy games for the DS. But knowing you, you'll likely reject this statement.

Anyway, just be aware that Square Enix is a Japanese company, just like Capcom is, so it is fair game for getting a rep. Who knows, maybe both of our requests might make the cut.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
I'm sorry but...

Don't make such statements without considering the possibilities, first off it would hurt Smash regarding potential sales? Why? Because of Sonic being revealed it created so much hype and nostalgia that it simply made people go out and get Brawl, it's smart marketing by both parties, just because you aren't in favor of 3rd party characters won't mean Sakurai is going to overlook.

3rd party characters may not have a significant role in Nintendo but they certaintly draw crowds that would otherwise overlook the game.
I'm just saying to not hype yourself putting all those third parties because third parties = unreliability.

Mishudo

Smash Journeyman
Holy crap ya'll post way too much. They need 3 threads for this game. One for characters, and one for gameplay ideas(stages, items, etc.)

And everyone here gets too butthurt if someone else doesn't like their character suggestions.
People have different opinions. And I'm glad everyone likes different characters. It'd be boring as hell if someone had the same exact roster wouldn't it?

Just throwing that out there :/

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Because when it comes to listening to fan demand, Square Enix is borderline ********... They're like the complete opposite of Capcom when it comes to it.
What makes you say this? I'm curious.

Do you think that people don't want Cactar, Slime, Black Mage, White mage, and Ninja to appear in random Mario games? I'm asking because I don't know. I've only played Dragon Quest SSS, Final Fantasy 1, and the Kingdom Hearts series.

If you got to pick the five most popular SE characters to cross over into a Nintendo game, who do you think they would be?

OmegaXXII

Slime is definitely surprising. It's just that... He fits in smash. I wouldn't be as surprised as how I was when I found out Snake was in.
Agreed, slime would definetly be a WTF character if he were to get the spot over Megaman, I honestly want both in but it's legally difficult for even one to be on much less two.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Mario guy, who's the green guy after Isaac?
Leon from Star Fox. He's on Team Star Wolf and was part of the original team along with Pigma (the guy who betrayed James McCloud, resulting in his death) and Andrew (Andross's nephew).

@ shortiecanbrawl:

The fact that they have let very popular series like the Chrono and Secret of die and how they repeatedly make the same mistakes game after game especially in the Final Fantasy franchise.

What makes you say this? I'm curious.

Do you think that people don't want Cactar, Slime, Black Mage, White mage, and Ninja to appear in random Mario games? I'm asking because I don't know. I've only played Dragon Quest SSS, Final Fantasy 1, and the Kingdom Hearts series.

If you got to pick the five most popular SE characters to cross over into a Nintendo game, who do you think they would be?
I enjoyed the entry of FF characters in Mario games. It really shows the relationship of nintendo and SE.

However, some critics (probably 1/1500 of the world) prefer Mario unlockables in Mario Sports Mix than SE characters. I'm 100% against this.

@All the leon powetrafosjf whatever: Oh

D

Deleted member

Starphoenix said:
It'd be surprising alright. Japan's internet would probably shut down and over here you'd get to see some of the most clueless reactions. It'd be hilarious, I won't lie.
And considering that Sonic and Snake are probably coming back, that would be all I need (Although Mega Man will still be my most wanted character). We can expect a lot of "OH MY ****ING GOD NINTENDO, WHY IS AN GENERIC ENEMY IN SSB4 AS A PLAYABLE CHARACTER? WHERE THE **** IS MEGA MAN?".
Mario_and_Sonic_Guy said:
I kind of wish that you didn't bring that up. You're a Mega Man lover, I get it, but not everyone is like you.

I did go through some reviews between Final Fantasy and Mega Man, and it seems that the Mega Man franchise had some games that were ranked lower than the lowest ranked Final Fantasy games for the DS. But knowing you, you'll likely reject this statement.

Anyway, just be aware that Square Enix is a Japanese company, just like Capcom is, so it is fair game for getting a rep. Who knows, maybe both of our requests might make the cut.
My points would have been the same regardless of whenever or not Mega Man was my favorite video game character. Surprising to you, I don't reject your statement. I'm a fan of the character and the franchise, but not a fanboy. I understand that he has his low points.

AranOcean

Smash Ace
NNID
AranOcean
3DS FC
1220-8584-3874
Agreed, slime would definetly be a WTF character if he were to get the spot over Megaman, I honestly want both in but it's legally difficult for even one to be on much less two.
I don't know about Slime, even though I'd prefer seeing Mega Man over him Slime could be a really creative character. If he does somehow make it in i'd be really curious about his moveset.

OmegaXXII

I'm just saying to not hype yourself putting all those third parties because third parties = unreliability.
Agreed, Sakurai does indeed have more freedom with Nintendo only characters but what makes Smash fun and exciting to the fans is to include a 3rd party guest, heck I would just be happy with either Megaman or Sonic, just one would do it for me.

Now then let's discuss Ike

what other possible stage could he have? Macaiah?

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
The fact that they have let very popular series like the Chrono and Secret of die and how they repeatedly make the same mistakes game after game especially in the Final Fantasy franchise.
I miss the Mana series, was my favorite next to Dragon Quest.

And considering that Sonic and Snake are probably coming back, that would be all I need (Although Mega Man will still be my most wanted character). We can expect a lot of "OH MY ****ING GOD NINTENDO, WHY IS AN GENERIC ENEMY IN SSB4 AS A PLAYABLE CHARACTER? WHERE THE **** IS MEGA MAN?".
Even hypothetically it cracks me up. lol

That seems to be a surprised face reaction.

I wouldn't be surprised if the blue bomber gets in. I'm more of happy than surprised if that happens. I'll laugh if Zero is the capcom rep. It would show the intro of MM 2 and you see Zero on top. That would be funny even though it's not likely

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
There's been something I've been wondering about when it comes to the first trailer. Brawl's first trailer revealed five new characters in order to build hype for the game and I think they made some good choices. There were two very popular characters from big franchises, a new female, a retro character, and a third party character. Suppose they were to follow this formula again, who do you think would fit the bill best?
Good question, Fatman. Here are my choices.

The obvious first veterans revealed: Mario, Link, Pikachu, Kirby, Pit
The other possible first veterans revealed: Samus, Peach, Meta Knight, Sonic

#1 popular character from a major franchise: Toad (to capitalize on the success/popularity of New Super Mario Bros. Wii/Mii and to play off nostalgia of Super Mario All-Stars)
#2 popular character from a major (revived) franchise: Little Mac (because it is Little Mac to the Western audience)
New female character: Palutena (mainly because of Uprising is Sakurai's work and for sex appeal)
New retro (Japan-only) character: Takamaru (to show off Takamaru's swordplay against the other sword fighters and because it is Takamaru to the Japanese audience)
New third-party character: Mega Man (to generate hype, what else?)

Now, to add something extra to the formula, a new controversial character: Mii (to show off the new character customization feature)

OmegaXXII

I don't know about Slime, even though I'd prefer seeing Mega Man over him Slime could be a really creative character. If he does somehow make it in i'd be really curious about his moveset.
Hmm... I wouldn't exactly choose Slime over Megaman either, does anybody?

But yea seeing Capcom as a possible 3rd party in all this I can definetly see Square getting involved in some way.

Now, to add something extra to the formula, a new controversial character: Mii (to show off the new character customization feature)
Mii isn't that controversial.

His moveset will be based on sports games and other games such as party, play and music. I'm indifferent towards the guy though.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Agreed, Sakurai does indeed have more freedom with Nintendo only characters but what makes Smash fun and exciting to the fans is to include a 3rd party guest, heck I would just be happy with either Megaman or Sonic, just one would do it for me.

Now then let's discuss Ike

what other possible stage could he have? Macaiah?
The Crossing cutscene from Fire Emblem : Radiant Dawn.

The idea :

It's just a normal platform but we get shifted around.

First we fight where the Laguz (cats) and the Soldiers are fighting we sometimes get a javelin hit from one of the soldiers or get a cat jumping at you.

Second phase all the characters get grapped by the eagles and dropped some where else where you will see a fight between Ranulf and Zelgius.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
My points would have been the same regardless of whenever or not Mega Man was my favorite video game character. Surprising to you, I don't reject your statement. I'm a fan of the character and the franchise, but not a fanboy. I understand that he has his low points.
I thought as much. I'm neutral with Mega Man, so I wouldn't be bothered too much if he gets in first.

I merely brought up Square Enix not only because of its involvement with Mario crossovers, but that company has had connections with Nintendo during the NES and SNES eras, especially with Super Mario RPG.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Takamaru's was the third worst, Metroid was the second worst. I'm only noting this because there was a several thousand copy divide between the three.
Thank you for correcting me. So, even though Takamaru's game was the third worst, Pit still got in over him despite his game being the worst.

Mii isn't that controversial.

His moveset will be based on sports games and other games such as party, play and music. I'm indifferent towards the guy though.
I know but some people willl be shocked and flabbergasted over the idea of having customizable characters that you can make up moves. Some people are against that, you know...

OmegaXXII

New female character: Palutena (mainly because of Uprising is Sakurai's work and for sex appeal)
New retro (Japan-only) character: Takamaru (to show off Takamaru's swordplay against the other sword fighters and because it is Takamaru to the Japanese audience)
New third-party character: Mega Man (to generate hype, what else?)
I highly agree with this, not only is Takamaru retro but is popular by fans in Japan as well as in the U.S.

As for a female rep. I had suggested Medusa, she would obviously be the newcomer villain of the trailer plus appealing for kicks. :awesome:

Palutena would be an excellent choice as well, definetly to promote Sakurai's Uprising.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
When it comes to his resume, Megaman's is up and beyond any other third party character. There's 59 Megaman games and, if you include all his playable appearances and cameos, he's been in close to 100 games. Also, since 1987, he's appeared on every Nintendo console except the Virtual Boy. The sales for the games haven't always been the best but the character has had games that have tanked in sales and quality and yet the franchise has always been able to rebound.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Hmm... I wouldn't exactly choose Slime over Megaman either, does anybody?

But yea seeing Capcom as a possible 3rd party in all this I can definetly see Square getting involved in some way.
Slime would be an amusing character. If it can play sports, who knows what it can do in a fight.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
So like, I was playing Melee a bit again, with no memory card so as I could unlock stuff for fun, and then I noticed someone's trophy floating around in the race to the finish stage: Doshin the Giant.

And that got me thinking...how long is it going to be until someone like Doshin could be considered for the retro spot, or will it never happen because despite the years going by, retro is still only considered the NES and back.

Imagine your Mii with Shuttle Loop... oh god no
If it's like that and they get in, I hope they ban mii from tourneys.
Slime would be an amusing character. If it can play sports, who knows what it can do in a fight.
Another interesting fact is that he has no limbs. I would look forward to playing as limbless characters like Sukapon, Slime or Rayman (Impossible)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So like, I was playing Melee a bit again, with no memory card so as I could unlock stuff for fun, and then I noticed someone's trophy floating around in the race to the finish stage: Doshin the Giant.

And that got me thinking...how long is it going to be until someone like Doshin could be considered for the retro spot, or will it never happen because despite the years going by, retro is still only considered the NES and back.
Hmmm... his game came out in 1999. Not too retro, but he is getting there... give him another four years and he will be 16 years old, approximately the age of the Ice Climbers when they showed up in Melee.

OmegaXXII

The Crossing cutscene from Fire Emblem : Radiant Dawn.

The idea :

It's just a normal platform but we get shifted around.

First we fight where the Laguz (cats) and the Soldiers are fighting we sometimes get a javelin hit from one of the soldiers or get a cat jumping at you.

Second phase all the characters get grapped by the eagles and dropped some where else where you will see a fight between Ranulf and Zelgius.
Ah yes, a background battle behind would be amazing, I like the concept.

I just thought of something, how about that fighting inside the Crimean castle and the Black Knight or King Daein fighting someone like Greil... and would be fighting and make an appearance in the background and slash whoever happens to cross between them, that would be so awesome.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Ah yes, a background battle behind would be amazing, I like the concept.

I just thought of something, how about that fighting inside the Crimean castle and the Black Knight or King Daein fighting someone like Greil... and would be fighting and make an appearance in the background and slash whoever happens to cross between them, that would be so awesome.
I believe the stage must have a chronological event not a mad up event. but nonetheless it's awesome.

D

Deleted member

Arcadenik said:
Thank you for correcting me. So, even though Takamaru's game was the third worst, Pit still got in over him despite his game being the worst.
I'm pretty sure more people remember Pit then Takamaru. Pit's game sold over a million in Japan alone. Takamaru's game didn't even break that and it's sales led it to being Japanese-exclusive. So the fact that the game was on the GBA as well and sold several thousands better then Kid Icarus doesn't mean much because Kid Icarus was more well known then Takamaru's game.
Arcadenik said:
I know but some people willl be shocked and flabbergasted over the idea of having customizable characters that you can make up moves. Some people are against that, you know...
And ironically enough, people have been asking for something like this and now they're getting mad about the whole thing.
Pieman0920 said:
Technically, if he hadn't had that Gamecube appearance, he would still be considered retro. I'm not expecting him to go retro until the 9th gen. My opinion is that if a series has not had a game since three generations ago, relevancy doesn't matter that much. Therefore, the SNES right now could be considered retro and the N64 will be considered retro next gen. Since Doshin The Giant is not relevant, his chances of getting in is very poor, especially since nobody appears to want him in (I could easily do without him as well).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom