• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Sony's going to stay with the PS3 for awhile. MS, no. Kinect just has to be compatible with the next Xbox, like the Wii peripherals are with the Wii U.

The PS3 is an incredibly solid gaming system that has been steadily improving over time, and their customer install base yields profits from both video games AND Blu-Rays which is a market that Sony owns. They're making a profit on each PS3 sold (have been since year 2 of the PS3 I believe) and have pushed their "10 year console" concept over and over again. The PSN debacle is over and people don't care that much anymore. Even if they do care, they certainly didn't tell Sony that with their wallets. Besides, Sony has said they aren't making a PS4, and with all the **** that went down with the profits they lost from the earthquake (something like $3billion IIRC) they definitely won't be spending the money on a brand new console this early.

For Nintendo, if they stay their current course, I can see them going the way of Sega (rather Sega + handhelds) in 2 more consoles if they don't shape up. And I don't necessarily think that would be a bad thing for them. I actually think it would allow them to focus on developing to produce some extremely high quality games in the future. Think about it; Microsoft and Sony make a couple in-house big hits (Halo, God of War, etc.) but nothing NEARLY to the level of Nintendo. Ninty is at the same time a prolific developer AND have their own console. I give them a lot of crap for their business plans, but to be honest its impressive that they're able to do as much as they have been for so long.

Also, I'm heading to bed now :X
Guess I was mistaken on the PS3's profitability, somehow I had heard they still lose more money on the system then they make? I still can't see Microsoft putting out a new console anytime soon. This just being from personal experience, working in a store. About every week I work, there is one customer calling on a phone asking about Xbox's or Kinect. Out of all the systems we sell and stock the most are the 360 bundles. My location isn't a big city, but a small town (not like where I used to live let me tell you...) So my reasoning isn't based upon much more than what I have seen coupled with the things I've read online.

I'm out for the evening.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Err.... Ryu should be in.
I can't imagine how Mr. Wright would fight considering he isn't in MvC3 and was cut from TvC.

Krystal should be an Assist trophy.

SLIPPY is more popular than Krystal in japan honestly.
I would LOL if he makes it in. I can imagine a moveset for him and would probably make one if someone made a worth vertex.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'll bite.

Why not keep TLink, and revamp him? sounds like if that was possible, it should happen. Since this is your personal roster, not Sakurai's, I say this is a big fault. Tingle was pretty much the only possible character to pick for Loz. I just see adding any other character as dead weight. Just like Sheik(As much as I love her), they would be one time game characters who could possibly remain in Smash forever. Though I guess that isn't a bad idea, if they're innovative enough.

Mario doesn't need six, and pokemon doesn't need that many either. Drop someone and add two smaller fanchises is best IMO. "Who" really comes down to personal preference. All the characters you picked are fair game.

Ness instead of Lucas? meh. I like ness more, and I know he has way more fans than Lucas, but what evs. Someone else can battle that one for themselves. Masked Man / Claus should work like Zelda / Sheik. Or possibly implicate something new like after Masked Man dies, he battles as Clause do to his damaged armor. Then, after Claus dies again he turns back into Masked Man.

People will complain about Dark Samus and Lyn. Trust me. But I don't mind them. They could be interesting. (We'll Dark Samus could be)

Drop Falco or Wolf for Krystal. Or Keep them and lose Krystal. Much more likely. Unless they have another game come out for the WiiU, i don't see them all being included to be likely.

Pheonix Write? Not a chance. You also have a loooooot of characters. Cut out a few 3rd parties, and some Retros and you have yoruself a decent roster. Not the best. Not the worst. Which is okay, because most people consider my roster to be absolutely dreadful. They don't care to listen to your reasonig behind decisions. Because most of the new posters here are fickle.

"Oh look, a butterfly" is the type of attitude they have when it comes to this thread. Which isn't baaad. It is what it is. But now I'm rambling about my sour mouth.

Llumys

Smash Champion
I do think Mario and Pokémon both deserve six, especially since all of the Mario characters I included are iconic.

Am I the only person who would be happy if Phoenix Wright's entire moveset was just him yelling objection with the speech bubble having different properties? Give him a chance; Sakurai's done ridiculous things in the past.

Ness and Lucas are essentially the same character... right? Correct me if I'm wrong. Either way, Ness was going to be cut from Brawl, so I don't see why he wouldn't be cut now. I wouldn't mind seeing Ness and the Masked Man, though.

I'm pretty sure Lyn's the first main character to appear in North America's first Fire Emblem, so I don't see why adding her would be a problem...

I'd rather lose Krystal than Falco or Wolf; she's of little importance in comparison. Eternal's got me considering Slippy or even Leon, rofl.

SPOILERS: A Masked Man/Claus transformation wouldn't make any sense, would it?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Krystal is more important than Wolf (Falco is debatable)

I understand why you want toad and Bowser Jr, but thats a lot of characters.

Aren't Claus and Masked Man the same person?

Yes, Sakurai is crazy. Like how he didn't add Ridley. Or unclone Ganon, or wasted time on a stupid SSE. I could go on.

Lastly, I'm no fan of Mr. Write soooo. . . . OBJECTION!

You would be suprised what people have problems with.

Hoots

Can Be Combative

I've put quite a bit of consideration into this, so it's just just some fanboy's ridiculous wishlist. Would anyone have any major critiques for this roster if it ended up being final?

King K. Rool* :(
Mario - Fine if you didn't have Geno already. I would say that either Geno or Bowser Jr. would stand a chance seeing as they are both Mario reps.

DK - Edit: I didn't see you slapped on Dixie to Diddy. While I wouldn't hate it, I see no need to ruin Diddy's character just to include Dixie. If you want to do that, make her her own character. However, DK doesnt merit 4 slots so just axe Dixie.

Wario - Captain Syrup has done nothing to merit entry into Smash, especially since the Wario Franchise being represented is Wario Ware. Total waste of a character slot.

Zelda - Like someone else said, a revamp of Toon Link would be much better than Tingle. Tingle is neither cool, nor popular, and making a moveset would be very difficult. Why bother?

Kid Icarus - I'm glad that we're seeing Medusa on a lot of rosters now seeing how it is very likely she will be in the game.

Pokemon - I'm torn myself on the debated 3. As much as I like Mewtwo, I think first gen has enough reps and Pokemon certainly doesn't merit 6 reps, as popular as it is. Ergo, I would prefer Lucario and Zoroark.

Earthbound - I really don't think Earthbound merits another rep. Its fanbase is very small and it is a dead franchise, not to mention the characters from it are hardly recognizable. If anything, I think Claus would be more appropriate.

Metriod - Dark Samus? Really? Metroid certainly doesn't merit 3 reps and Ridley blows Dark Samus out of the water. I don't care how different 'its' moveset would be, I don't want a freakin recolor as a wasted slot.

Other Franchise Column - Absolutely amazing. A great collection of characters who all deserve to be in Smash, although I am not sure if there is enough room for all of them. Starfy is my new favorite character, and Tom Nook is an old favorite of mine. If it were up to me, I would have them all. Nicely done.

Retro Column - I don't really think Lip merits a slot, especially compared the the characters in the previous column. As for Takamaru, I can see the appeal and I know Sakurai likes him, but he just doesn't seem worthy of a slot, especially considering how marginalized he has become. Although I could see him as an easy WTF character.

F-Zero - While Goroh is the second most iconic F Zero characters, along with Lyndis and Takamaru, that is three Katana wielding characters you have added, not even factoring other sword users you added. This seems a little outrageous. Also, Black Shadow would help fill the villain void and he could have a very unique moveset with his own powers. However, both characters are utterly tied for me, so I suppose it's fine.

3rd Party - No to Travis Touchdown. Just no. Replace Phoenix Wright with Professor Layton, who has become a pillar of the DS empire. He is the most popular new character to be on a Nintendo console in a long time.

Llumys

Smash Champion
Krystal's been important in one game, which wasn't even really a StarFox game, in my opinion. Wolf's been around the entire time and is a very important anti-hero. Hell, Wolf is more important than Falco. I don't see why you would ever think Krystal's more important, honestly.

SPOILERS: Yes, Claus is the Masked Man, but a transformation would make no sense.

---

Tingle's hella populrar in Japan and is iconic to the series, whether you like it or not.

I just can't let go of Mewtwo. :(

I hadn't thought of the whole three katana-users thing, and that does seem pretty blah.

Professor Layton works, actually. I forgot about him. I don't see why you're hating on Travis, though! No More Heroes is popular and a Nintendo exclusive.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Krystal's been important in one game, which wasn't even really a StarFox game, in my opinion. Wolf's been around the entire time and is a very important anti-hero. Hell, Wolf is more important than Falco. I don't see why you would ever think Krystal's more important, honestly.

SPOILERS: Yes, Claus is the Masked Man, but a transformation would make no sense.
Why would it make no sense?

Krystal actually has a story (A very in-depth one at that) as well as is a major love interest of the main character. Wolf lacks both of these. HarHar. Although I personally see him as more important than Falco who plays second fiddle terribly. He makes Weegee look pro. I would rather see Fox, Wolf, and Krystal all be unique, but make Falco a costume for fox. With his own voice of course.

Captain Syrup has Merit. I'm just becoming far to tired to argue any longer.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Sakurai said a while ago that Takamaru isn't going to be in a Smash game until he is in another game of his own IIRC.

You know that Krystal's hatedom means she isn't making it in right?

I'm not kidding when I say SLIPPY has a better chance then she does.

They can easily make Wolf diverge more into his own character and Falco has Grandfather Clause going for him.

Llumys

Smash Champion
She's also been in one game and apparently is hated in Japan. I'm not against her being in, but I still don't think she deserves a slot over Falco or Wolf.

SPOILERS:
Claus doesn't transform into the Masked Man. The Masked Man's Claus a cyborg, I think. It wouldn't make sense going back and forth.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Realistic Wishlist:
Everyone in Brawl
Mewtwo
King K. Rool
Bowser Jr.
Ridley (If and only if they can find an excuse to scale him down like they did to SM64 Bowser)
Waluigi
Some prevalent character from the Fire Emblem series, who has a completely different fight style from Marth and Ike.
Tails
Isaac
Krystal, as long as her moveset isn't a clone of the other spacies.
Megaman
Saki Amamiya or whoever the protagonist of Sin and Punishment 2 is.
Quote (which is likely considering he's appeared on 2 Nintendo platforms, and will be returning for a third time on the 3DS)

Viola, 49 characters. I wouldn't complain if Smash 4 had just this as their lineup.

I might be pushing my chances by hoping Quote will be in it, and thinking Krystal will be in it, but w/e, at least it's not a wild, off the chain crazy theory-craft list like the rest of you nutjobs. ;)

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
You know that Krystal's hatedom means she isn't making it in right?.
Hate means nothing. She isn't Pichu, so she is just fine. A heck of a lot of characters/franchises have hatedom. Furry is okay people. -.- Let internet weirdos do as they please and stop blaming it on Krystal. She didn't make Adventures, so stop blaming her for that crap as well. Wolf as of late isn't in depth, and Falco doens't compare. Krystal has a whole game devoted to her story in a sense. (Regaurdless of how lame it was)

She has been in three games. Just as important as Falco in the other two. Also, the Clause/Masked Man transformation isn't that far fetched. Technically we've never seen Zelda transform into Sheik.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
What about this guy from the Kid Icarus Uprising trailer?

Don't know who he is, but I do know he has a giant sword which automatically makes him awesome. Also, he's made in Sakurai's first non-Kirby and non-Smash game in quite a few years... I'd say he's actually a fairly strong contender for SSB4.

Hoots

Can Be Combative

Don't know who he is, but I do know he has a giant sword which automatically makes him awesome. Also, he's made in Sakurai's first non-Kirby and non-Smash game in quite a few years... I'd say he's actually a fairly strong contender for SSB4.
Dear God, please no Tryndamere in Smash. I think Medusa would make a much cooler character. Female AND a villain. 2 birds with one stone AND she isn't a sword user! THREE STONES! OH MY!

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Dear God, please no Tryndamere in Smash. I think Medusa would make a much cooler character. Female AND a villain. 2 birds with one stone AND she isn't a sword user! THREE STONES! OH MY!
Dear God, please no Cassiopeia in Smash.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I second this statement, however he has to fair against Medusa who is a Villian Female. She is also pretty cool herself. According to this bunch hatedom counts more than fandome so lets hope his voice actor isn't lame. Or bye bye chances! (not.)

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Her hatedom is so strong in Japan and other places, it makes Gabranth's hatred seem tame.

I think that guy looks like a decent addition, but we need more info otherwise he'd probably be better as an assist trophy.

I want medusa more.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord

Looks like another Ike :awesome:

I kid, but that's one giant sword lol. I imagine if he were in Smash, he'd be a heavy slow character.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The presence of Krystal as she is seemingly responsible for killing that franchise, giving her a hatedom, ESPECIALLY in Japan.
Also, Tingle's hatedom in North America means he wouldn't make it in unless he was a joke character.

Ryu has a better chance than Phoenix Wright honestly.

Yeah. Ninty brought out a new console before the long-term effects of the Wii plan can hit them(and it is showing signs of showing in slowing sales).
Yep. Japan really hates the Star Fox series after 64. The most popular character after the three guys currently in (Fox, Falco, Wolf) in Japan is... Slippy.

I have absolutely no idea why people suggest Phoenix Wright. I am personally a fan of the games, but I have no understanding why people even suggest him. He does not fight at all. He is not physical at all. Heck, when Capcom was contemplating a Phoenix Wright character for Tatsunoko vs. Capcom they were going to put in Franziska since she at least has a whip.

As to the subject about the Wii. Yeah, Wii's sales are definitely slowing down, especially in Japan where they have plummeted to almost GameCube levels of sales. However, the Wii is still the market leader in every region. Pretty funny considering that despite having the highest sales it had the worst third-party support.

The 3DS currently is not doing so hot, but the DS is still selling like hotcakes. I guess Nintendo put out the 3DS too soon.

I am not much of a gamer that I used to be. This year I have only bought one game (Christmas NiGHTs into Dreams), and it was for an old platform (Sega Saturn). Personally, most video games don't really excite me much anymore. The Wii U will probably be the last home console I get. This is the reason why I say Smash 4 will be the last game in the series I will be following.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Just scale her to her size using the sprite from the previous game. In the previous game, she was smaller than Palutena, which should put her at Ganondorf's size.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Size arguements suck. She can be scaled down, like Bowser. Just like Ridley could be.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Size arguments don't suck, only when they forget important things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB2ObL_NPRQ
watch before she dies. Note her size being roughly Ganondorf's.

Ridley is a special case since part of his moveset will involve carrying and pummeling targets like in Super Metroid, and needs to be a certain size for it to make sense.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Don't know, and honestly don't care. I usually stay far, far away from character debates (I was modded right before the pre-Brawl scene exploded and worked on the boards during their peak insanity). I just remembered that one dude, that he looked cool, and that he actually has a good chance of being in SSB4 if you logically think through it.

Impmacaque

Smash Journeyman
TRYNDAMERE!? IN MY SMASH BROS? If we're getting any LoL character in Smash, it damn well better be Jarvan.

On a serious note, that Kid Icarus guy does look badass. I've always been partial to Sword users in Smash. However, they nailed the "angry dude with giant sword" shtick pretty well with Ike in Brawl. I think if they bring back Roy and possibly revamp Ganon, we have more than enough sword users in game. We need some novel/unique combat styles. I really like how Olimar was something totally different. More like that!

P.S., if there's gonna be a new sword user it better be Travis Touchdown.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
TRYNDAMERE!? IN MY SMASH BROS? If we're getting any LoL character in Smash, it damn well better be Jarvan.

On a serious note, that Kid Icarus guy does look badass. I've always been partial to Sword users in Smash. However, they nailed the "angry dude with giant sword" shtick pretty well with Ike in Brawl. I think if they bring back Roy and possibly revamp Ganon, we have more than enough sword users in game. We need some novel/unique combat styles. I really like how Olimar was something totally different. More like that!
I just kinda figured this dude would be the perfect replacement for Ike to continue the heavy sword user archetype. Seeing as there hasn't been a new Fire Emblem since Ike's game, I could easily see this guy taking over his role.

Also, Gragas > all.

Impmacaque

Smash Journeyman
I just kinda figured this dude would be the perfect replacement for Ike to continue the heavy sword user archetype. Seeing as there hasn't been a new Fire Emblem since Ike's game, I could easily see this guy taking over his role.
Not gonna lie, this new dude looks more badass than Ike, and swinging around a sword that massive would be sweet. Any videos of him in action in Kid Icarus? I haven't followed that game at all.

P.S., **** Gragas and his bodyslams/kegs. That fat *******.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

Also, Gragas > all.
I wonder if Magnus does get in whether Sakurai will give Ike the boot. Ike's whole schtick was being the slow powerhouse sword-user. Path of Radiance (FE9) and Radiant Dawn (FE10) were the two worst selling games in the Fire Emblem series in Japan.

Still, I don't see Marth being left by himself. Roy was intended to return for Brawl (along with Mewtwo). If Roy comes back he will probably be Luigi-fied and have different A-moves but similar specials.

However, for Kid Icarus, I personally would rather see Palutena (or even Medusa). Magnus strikes me as a little too cliche.

Master Peach

Smash Ace

I've put quite a bit of consideration into this, so it's just just some fanboy's ridiculous wishlist. Would anyone have any major critiques for this roster if it ended up being final?

King K. Rool* :(
For Mario, I have no problem with Toad, but toad has been a generic character in the Mario universe for a while. They even have different color versions for him in the series. Toad is basic town folk like plantas from Super Mario Sunshine. Toadsworth is like the only toad I know that escapes this cause he's THE toad, Peach's right hand man, and we've seen him more and more in the series than the basic toad as a character with some development. Now it is a given that his chances are not impossible, but since Sakurai has the choice of putting more popular or less generic characters into the game and I don't think his chances are very high. To add on to that even further toad's value doesn't seem that high either. He's a character that you talk to for info, gives you stars or race's against u in Mario kart. If anything Koopa Troopa's have more of a chance of getting in than Toad, but still as I said he's not impossible.

Personally I'd replace Toad with Daisy or Rosalina.
Daisy even though she hasn't her own game, has been in other titles and her personality fits for smash. She's fairly aggressive for a female due to her tomboyish attitude and I don't think it'd be too hard to make a nice moveset for her. Also she has been one of peaches alts colors for a while now so I think she'd be a good addition but that's just me.

Rosalina has been in both recent Mario titles of Galaxy and helps guide mario across the universe from her watch tower lol. She at least to me has more of a chance of getting than toad. And I personally would like to see more female characters in Smash. If in the least though I'd like to see her as an Assist trophy.

Bowser jr is ok, if he could transform into shadow mario however I'm sold!

Donkey Kong, Dixie should be her own character. If not, scrap her.

Wario, Captain Syrup is ok in my book. She looks like one of those characters Sakurai could make a nice moveset for. Either way though I don't mind her.

Zelda, Everything looks fin.......e GET TINGLE THE F*** OUTTA THERE! Who in their right mind... Really? Maybe you know something I don't.

Pokemon: Keep as is, I'm completely fine with this.

Earthbound: Where's Ness?

Metroid: I like Dark Samus, I think she's at least worth a shot. I think they would have to make her really unique for people to like her.

Fire Emblem and F-Zero, A-Ok

Starfox, Idk what everyone's problem is with Krystal. She was an important character in adventures, she was in Assault, and the next game after that, She has powers and is Fox's love interest. I don't see why not other than the hatedom from Japan. As for this furry talk. People really? Grow up.

Other Franchises, Don't really care too much

as for 3rd Party We don't need Phoenix Wright, Joe Deserves more of a spot than him in my opinion. I'd rather see Phoenix in MvC3 than Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom