• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Professor Layton? Is you high? :glare:
Early I think it was noted that Professor Layton, although a third-party, has exclusively appeared on Nintendo handhelds, and Nintendo has even thrown a launch party or two for it at the Nintendo World superstore. So he's a definite possibility (however small- still more than Captain Syrup), although he is probably more likely for 3DS than WiiU.

Plus, he can fence, and fencing is cool.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Really ?

I'm beginning to lose faith in Sakurai....
But don't you see? If Sakurai wasn't recycling his ideas from Kirby games, we probably wouldn't have characters like Ice Climbers and R.O.B. while Ness and Meta Knight would probably have different moves.

Think thats better said in a different thread.
I thought it was relevant to this thread... that this shows that even characters who have little moveset potential or never fought before could get moves from Kirby games.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I really hope Ray MK II becomes playable, I'd really like to see what they can do with him.

D

Deleted member

I heard that Tails was planned as an Assist Trophy before being dismissed. Do you think he has a chance of coming back as one? He would be an unique one for sure and since I don't think Sonic needs another playable character, I wouldn't mind a second Assist Trophy for the series.

@SixWingedAsura (#3607): Mega Man is very likely, but not guarantee. Nintendo could very well disallow all new third-party characters or even discard third-party characters entirely. Keep this in mind. Castlevania characters are also very unlikely since Snake will probably return for SSB4. I highly doubt Wolf Link will be in the game or Geno. I'll accept Fire Emblem, even thought it's questionable and Zoroark since he's one of the most likely 5th Gen Pokemon (Along with Victini).

@Dark Paladin X: That's enough. We will never see Marvel characters in brawl, we will never have an excess of third-party characters, and I doubt that over four third-party characters will be included. You've already lost, either leave the thread or lower your expectations.[COLLAPSE="Quotes And Responses"]
PsychoIncarnate said:
I'm positive that Sakurai's "rules" aren't written in stone.

You people take these "rules" too seriously.

I doubt he will get in, but as long as Nintendo owns the rights, and if they were willing, I'm sure Captain N could get in
How are we taking the "rules" he wrote too seriously? Are you implying that Naruto stands a 0.[infinity]1% chance of getting into SSB4? Kevin is a comic/TV character, not a video game character, so he will never get into Smash. Third-Party characters were never defined as "impossible".
SixWingedAsura said:
Let's be honest here: Travis Touchdown and Jack aren't family friendly enough for a game like Smash Bros. As awesome as the first would be....(Taunt: Chargin' the sword...:D)
Being from a mature franchise does not rule out a character. Case in point, Snake.
MAtgSy said:
Who else could fill the role of WTF final character once held by G&W/ROB?
I'd say Takamaru, but he is growing in popularity. I'd also say Goku, but that's impsosible. So uhhhhh, an obscure retro Nintendo/third-party character?
Rosalina suporter said:
Could toon Zelda still have a chance even tho she was one of the 7 that did not make it in to brawl?
I'd say she has a chance, but not a very good one; although I think if The Legend of Zelda gets a rep, it'll be her.
eathrock said:
Does anyone support Mother Brain?
mynameiscamden said:
Why? I mean sure it will be difficult, but it can be done.
There are like, no support for Mother Brain and I don't think Mother Brain has the potential to be a fighting character. She stands less then 10% of getting in and is best suited as an Assist Trophy or as a boss in place of Ridley who will almost certainly make his debut as playable character.
vVv Rapture said:
Um...no one else noticed that Metroid isn't in that roster at all? xD
I don't notice because if you look back, Samus is on there. He did make the poor choice of not including Ridley, thought, a near guarantee candidate.
as much as I understand your hate for either said:
Can Master/Crazy hand (or a miniature representation thereof) be included? Come on, it'd be awesome! It could walk on two fingers! And you'd have mini versions of certain attacks! Gun, pound, slap, ect!
Best suited as Boss, like they've always have been.
Starphoenix said:
I'm beginning to wonder how much of a chance Xenoblade will have in terms of being a new series we see in the next Smash? It appears we are going to see Xenoblade localized, rumours are stating by September. If Sakurai was considering Saki Amamiya prior Star Successor, than why wouldn't Sakurai take a look at this series? It is a Nintendo IP that is doing fairly well in Japan and has some kind of following in the West. Would Shulk be such a surprising pick?
We'll have to see about that. Right now, I don't think we'll see Shulk in SSB4, but as new franchise created since last gen have always been the successive installment in at least one time; I'll keep him in mind. His chance will go up if he goes worldwide.[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="mynameiscamden's Character Roster Review"]
I think I've come up with a fairly reasonable character roster
I've underlined the universes and put the unlockable characters in bold.
There should be 47 over all. Tell me what you think

Mario I don't think we'll be seeing Toad in Smash. Replace him with Bowser Jr.
Mario
Peach
Bowser
Luigi
Toad

Pokemon
Pikachu
Pokemon Trainer
Jigglypuff
Zoroark
Mewtwo

The Legend of Zelda Tingle? Seriously? I don't think we're even getting a fifth Zelda rep, but Tingle would make a horrible addition and is very unlikely.
Link
Zelda/Sheik
Ganondorf
Toon Link
Tingle

Star Fox Slippy stands almost zero chance of getting in. The only one with much of a chance in the first place is Krystal. No one else has the move set potential to be playable.
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Slippy

Kirby
Kirby
Meta Knight
King Dedede

Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
King K. Rool

Fire Emblem
Marth
Ike
Micaiah

EarthBound We don't need two semi-clones a la Star Fox. One is more then enough.
Ness
Lucas
Ninten

Other (Nintendo) You really shouldn't have clutter these character up like this. Anyway...

Where's Ridley? Medusa? Saki Amamiya/Isa Jo? Takamaru? Those four stands much better of a chance then Jill (Who doesn't have much of a chance, especially not on the Wii-U version). You're missing some serious potential candidates here.

Yoshi
Samus
Capt. Falcon
Ice Climbers
Mr. Game & Watch
Wario
Pit
Olimar
Isaac
Jill
Little Mac
R.O.B.
Ray MK III

Third Party
Sonic
Snake
Megaman
Roster numbers are reasonable and some of the newcomers do have a good chance of coming in, but there are a couple of questionable ones and some really awful choices while making terrible omissions of likely characters as well. You did, however, keep the likely returning vets intact, so I'll give you credit for that.

Not as bad of a roster as I thought it would be, so I'll give you a 70/100. There are some areas I would work on, thought.[/COLLAPSE]

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
From what I can tell, This is basically the thread for everything even vaguely related to WII U SSB until there is enough hard data known to justify a whole new board.

Sephy95

Smash Lord
But don't you see? If Sakurai wasn't recycling his ideas from Kirby games, we probably wouldn't have characters like Ice Climbers and R.O.B. while Ness and Meta Knight would probably have different moves.

I thought it was relevant to this thread... that this shows that even characters who have little moveset potential or never fought before could get moves from Kirby games.
Ok so why not say that in the first place?

D

Deleted member

vVv Rapture said:
I really hope Ray MK II becomes playable, I'd really like to see what they can do with him.
I think Ray MK III would be a great character for SSB4. He has a lot of move sets potential and fits exactly in the description of Nintendo titles. Him being an Assist Trophy also helps. I'm not including him in my 44 characters prediction, but I can still see him make it in.

I'm predicting at least two or three Assist Trophies make it into SSB4. Four to six is still possible IMO.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
I think Ray MK III would be a great character for SSB4. He has a lot of move sets potential and fits exactly in the description of Nintendo titles. Him being an Assist Trophy also helps. I'm not including him in my 44 characters prediction, but I can still see him make it in.

I'm predicting at least two or three Assist Trophies make it into SSB4. Four to six is still possible IMO.
I'm a Big Custom Robo fan and I approve having Ray 01 :) or Ray MK as playable character for SSB.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I agree with this as well, his chances are quite good actually, heck since he's "Japan Only" material that alone makes his chances double since it's obvious that Sakurai will take a look at a poll from the japenese community, I wished he looked at smashboards and Smash Cadet thread idea: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=305252

:phone:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

- Little Mac
- Starfy
- Tingle
- Matthew (from Isaac)
- Isa Jo (from Saki Amamiya)

There you go.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
I agree with this as well, his chances are quite good actually, heck since he's "Japan Only" material that alone makes his chances double since it's obvious that Sakurai will take a look at a poll from the japenese community, I wished he looked at smashboards and Smash Cadet thread idea: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=305252

I rather have Ray 01 he was my first and favorite :).

BlueSuperSonic1

Smash Journeyman
I'm bored so I'll post my ideas for a roster. Please comment on it and tell me suggestions to try to make my guess more accurate.

Super Mario
Mario (have Dr.Mario as a set of alternate costumes)
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Bowser Jr. (not too sure about him)
Legend of Zelda
Link
Zelda/Sheik
Ganondorf
Toon/Young Link (Toon Link's more recent, but Young Link's getting his game remade, so I'm not sure in regards to who is more likely)
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
King K.Rool (Main antagonist of Donkey Kong series; popular)
Dixie Kong (Very popular and intended to be in Brawl)
Mario Sub-series
Yoshi
Wario
Metroid
Samus/Zero Suit Samus
Ridley (Main antagonist and popular)
Pokemon
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer Red
Mewtwo (Was unique in Melee and intended to be in Brawl)
Lucario (He's pretty popular and unique so I think he should stay)
Zoroark/Victini (They seem to be the most popular 5th gen representatives so far)
Kirby
Kirby
King Dedede
Meta Knight
Mother/Earthbound
Ness (possibly with Ninten as an alternate costume?)
Lucas
Star Fox
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Krystal (I don't like her, but she seems popular)
F-Zero
Captain Falcon
Fire Emblem
Marth
Roy (Was in Melee and intended to be in Brawl, also pretty popular)
Ike
Retro
Ice Climbers
R.O.B.
Mr. Game and Watch
Little Mac
Kid Icarus
Pit
Medusa
Pikmin
Olimar
Third Party
Solid Snake
Sonic the Hedgehog
Megaman (He's very popular and has had a lot of games on Nintendo consoles.)

Well, there's my idea for a roster. Tell me what you guys think.

OmegaXXII

I like the Ray 1 design, he would totally be a nice addition, I can't say much about the moves as I lack knowledge.

D

Deleted member

- Little Mac
- Starfy
- Tingle
- Matthew (from Isaac)
- Isa Jo (from Saki Amamiya)

There you go.
I agree with Starfy, Little Mac, Matthew/Issac, and Isa Jo/Saki Amamiya getting in, not so much on Tingle. I actually think Samurai Goroh and to a lesser extend, Lyn, stands more of a chance, thought I'm only really expecting Saki/Isa and Little Mac to make it.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Isn't Custom Robo a dead series like F-Zero is? It hasn't had a game since 2006.

I think that Sakurai prefers to use international characters now... but he tends to use international characters who are more popular in Japan, not just Japan-only characters, you know?

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
There are no "dead" series at Nintendo (although Mother is done simply because Itoi meant it to be a series with a beginning, middle and end). Kid Icarus is proof of that.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
There are no "dead" series at Nintendo (although Mother is done simply because Itoi meant it to be a series with a beginning, middle and end). Kid Icarus is proof of that.
Kid Icarus was a dead series. It was Sakurai, not Nintendo, who decided to revive the series.

Other dead series would be Ice Climber and Game & Watch because they have not had a new game in over 20 years.

OmegaXXII

I'm bored so I'll post my ideas for a roster. Please comment on it and tell me suggestions to try to make my guess more accurate.

Super Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Legend of Zelda
Link
Zelda/Sheik
Ganondorf
Toon/Young Link (Toon Link's more recent, but Young Link's getting his game remade, so I'm not sure in regards to who is more likely)
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Mario Sub-series
Yoshi
Wario
Metroid
Samus/Zero Suit Samus
Pokemon
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer Red
Zoroark/Victini (They seem to be the most popular 5th gen representatives so far)
Kirby
Kirby
King Dedede
Meta Knight
Mother/Earthbound
Lucas
Star Fox
Fox
Falco
Wolf
F-Zero
Captain Falcon
Fire Emblem
Marth
Ike
Retro
Ice Climbers
R.O.B.
Mr. Game and Watch
Little Mac
Kid Icarus
Pit
Medusa
Pikmin
Olimar
Third Party
Solid Snake
Sonic the Hedgehog

I agree with most of it except for the following:

Roy: He may have been buffer than Marth, but unless his moves drastically change, and have another FE game released, he isn't likely to show, he was shown in Melee for promotional purposes at the time of Melee's release.

Krystal: While she may be popular and maybe have a staff based moveset, she isn't popular enough, I like the idea of having a female replacing Falco though.

Lucario: Sure this guy is popular but let's face it, he was NOT unique at all, if anything, he was a possible clone from Mewtwo, Mewtwo at least had originality and is WAY more popular.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I wouldn't be too concerned about the controls. All of Brawl's control options weren't even revealed until September 2007 and I remember how much people stressed out before that.
LOL I remember that! They were arguing over the controls and it turned out everyone were right. :awesome:

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
I agree with most of it except for the following:

Roy: He may have been buffer than Marth, but unless his moves drastically change, and have another FE game released, he isn't likely to show, he was shown in Melee for promotional purposes at the time of Melee's release.

Krystal: While she may be popular and maybe have a staff based moveset, she isn't popular enough, I like the idea of having a female replacing Falco though.

Lucario: Sure this guy is popular but let's face it, he was NOT unique at all, if anything, he was a possible clone from Mewtwo, Mewtwo at least had originality and is WAY more popular.

Lucario is actually like this in-game and anime he wasn't a clone of Mew Two he is the better fit of both and if you wanna know something Lucario is a fighting type and he is perfect for smash unlike the psychic Mew Two.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Kid Icarus was a dead series. It was Sakurai, not Nintendo, who decided to revive the series.

Other dead series would be Ice Climber and Game & Watch because they have not had a new game in over 20 years.
Okay, fine, Icarus was revived by Sakurai and not Nintendo. But it is hardly the only series that has been "dead" at times.
Excitebike was on NES. It wasn't heard from again until 15 years later when it was on N64. It has had sporadic stuff ever since.
Metroid had a 8-year hiatus at one point.
Punch-Out had a two generation hiatus, missing from the N64 and GCN before coming back on the Wii.
Nothing less than DONKEY KONG was MIA for 11 years before Nintendo let Rareware revive it.

OmegaXXII

LOL I remember that! They were arguing over the controls and it turned out everyone were right. :awesome:
But the difference this time is that there is NO Gamecube controller ports this time around, which means more fans will most likely be struck broken unless Nintendo or 3rd part do something about a "Gamecube Style" controller for Wii-U

Llumys

Smash Champion
I wish people would just stop *****ing about clones. Excluding Falcon and Ganon (debatable), there was absolutely no un-Luigi-fied clones in Brawl. Lucario is nothing like Mewtwo; Wolf is nothing like Fox and Lucas is nothing like Ness, excluding their specials, which is without a doubt reasonable.

Also, screw including iconic characters' sons from sequels; the originals should be representing their series, so Matthew and Iso shouldn't be playable, regardless of their similarities to their fathers.

edit: Is it Ray 01 or Ray MK 01? I don't know anything about Custom Robo.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
It is a noted fact that nothing is cooler than Kirby Hats. I often wish Sherlock Holmes was a Nintendo character so that Kirby could get his hat. Ditto Indiana Jones.

daAZNSensation

Smash Cadet
instead of fighting, the tablet controller could sort of be used in the background. for example, while everybody else is fighting, whoever is on the tablet could control what weapons appear, where they appear, stage actions,transitions, music, lights,etc.

as for the custom robo kirby, very nice!

D

Deleted member

Guys, while relevancy is a factor in determining a character's appearance as a playable character, it is not the absolute barrier. People are also forgetting that there's still about a year left before E3 2012, so it's premature to say that right now, we can determine based off of relevancy who can get in and who will not get in. Wait until that time for some games to be announced, then we can actually start chipping off potential characters with relevancy as a factor.

Posting in this color since BlueSuperSonic 1 is using red for this specific review.

Super Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Legend of Zelda
Link
Zelda/Sheik
Ganondorf
Donkey Kong Good, but I don't think both King K. Rool or Dixing Kong will make it in as separate character. I think we'll see just three.

Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Mario Sub-series
Yoshi
Wario
Metroid
Samus/Zero Suit Samus
Pokemon Five I see as likely, but six is an excess. As much as I love Mewtwo and Lucario, I don't think we'll be seeing them together. Pick one or the another for a fifth rep or choose a new Pokemon in it's place.
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer Red
Kirby
Kirby
King Dedede
Meta Knight
Mother/Earthbound
Lucas
Star Fox Eh, I'll accept it as it is since Krystal does have a chance, but I'm not sure about Krystal getting in.
Fox
Falco
Wolf
F-Zero
Captain Falcon
Fire Emblem While Mewtwo could come back, Roy is unlikely at best due to being a clone. If we see a third Fire Emblem rep, it will probably be a newcomer like Lyn, Micaich, or Caeda.
Marth
Ike
Retro
Ice Climbers
R.O.B.
Mr. Game and Watch
Little Mac
Kid Icarus
Pit
Medusa
Pikmin
Olimar
Third Party
Solid Snake
Sonic the Hedgehog

Well, there's my idea for a roster. Tell me what you guys think.
I'm actually surprised that Saki Amamiya/Isa Jo wasn't included as she has a good chance of making it in SSB4 due to being an Assist Trophy and there were a few choices that I had doubts with. It's still an excellent roster and one I would love to play with.

91/100. Best roster (IIRC) I've reviewed yet.
Arcadenik said:
Isn't Custom Robo a dead series like F-Zero is? It hasn't had a game since 2006.

I think that Sakurai prefers to use international characters now... but he tends to use international characters who are more popular in Japan, not just Japan-only characters, you know?
I'm not completely confident in Ray MK III myself, but your "Custom Robo is Japan-only" statement is blatantly false.

Custom Robo was released in Gamecube in May 10, 2004 for North America. Custom Robo Arena was released worldwide in 2007.

Also, it's kind of premature to call it a dead franchise since the last title was released on the Nintendo DS, a last gen handheld and we don't know when in 2006 the final cut-off date was (Sonic doesn't count as he was introduced very late (Comparatively) in development (Early 2007)). Depending on the Brawl's cut-off date, Ray may very well still be considered relevant enough to be a playable character (After all, he was relevant enough to be an Assist Trophy). While he doesn't get into my Top 10 list, his chances are much better then you think.

Either wait, even if relevancy is the absolute barrier to a character being playable (Which has not been confirmed and I don't consider it a requirement unless Sakurai said so), I'm not prepared to say that it's too late for characters like Samurai Goroh, Ray, Krystal to get in, there's still E3 2012 to worry about, which will reveal more games in developments before October, 2011.
Arcadenik said:

The only true "dead" franchise is Mother, which we can at least know that a game will never come again. For all we know, we could see a Custom Robo, Star Fox, F-zero, Ice Climbers, etc. make a comeback. I have yet to see any of those franchises say that there will be no more of said games.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
The only true "dead" franchise is Mother, which we can at least know that a game will never come again. For all we know, we could see a Custom Robo, Star Fox, F-zero, Ice Climbers, etc. make a comeback. I have yet to see any of those franchises say that there will be no more of said games.

EXACTLY! In fact, I remember seeing somewhere that if Star Fox 64 3DS sells well then EAD will be making a all-new Star Fox for 3DS as a follow-up.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I rather have Ray 01 he was my first and favorite :).

I like the series Custom Robo even though it's rather underdeveloped. I'm also curious on the moves they would give him. I mean since he is design to have custom parts it leaves me to wonder what kind of gun, missiles, and grenades. Plus the shining fighter only had two jumps so they would have to do something about the "Up B".

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Well, another day down, uncountable days more to go. Good night, SWF, as a final idea for today, wouldn't Magicant make a nice stage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom