• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oasis, You're very Right!
What's so right about having no exclusives or doubting there will be exclusives for the Wii U version?
Would you rather have, say, a 40-character roster- probably with more SSBB characters "cut" to make room for the ever marketable new fighters- on both 3DS and Wii U, or would you want a 30-40 character 3DS and a 40-50 Wii U? This isn't a situation where we can have both- we can have the same rosters in both 3DS and Wii U, but that'll mean fewer characters overall.
And that's what we all fear.

The problem with my roster is that there are as much 3DS exclusives as Wii U exclusives. I'm thinking about adding more Wii U exclusives. I can't see any character that has a reason to be Wii U exclusives except Olimar and Little Mac. Olimar's excuse might be unreasonable but the reason why is because he never appeared in a portable console. Not much of a reason though.
Some more Event Match thoughts...

Ganondorf

Sword Clash: It's a battle between blades as Ganondorf confronts Link, Marth, and Ike.

R.O.B.

Boxing Days: Little Mac and King Hippo want to get some fighting in. Summon them with Assist Trophies, and watch them take out the competition. Donkey Kong is your opponent. Also, you and Donkey Kong can only damage each other with Assist Trophies.

Wolf

Invisible Welfare: Wolf has dealt with many things, but can he defeat two invisible entities from his past? KO Fox and Falco, who are always invisible.

Zoroark

Illusion Amuck: Zoroarks are everywhere, but which one is the real one?

Samurai Goroh

A Bounty Hunter's Pride: It's a fight to KO Black Shadow as Captain Falcon and Goroh fight for the bounty. You have to be the one to KO Black Shadow to win this event match. You fail if Black Shadow SDs, or gets KO'd by Captain Falcon.

Saki

Alien Control: Saki has dealt with Ruffians. Now it's time for him to deal with unwelcome space visitors. Opponents include Samus, Kirby, Fox, Captain Falcon, Falco, Olimar, Wolf, and Ridley.

Any Character

Master Hand's Challenge: Master Hand and Crazy Hand challenge you. Defeat them both with only 1 life.

An Epic Finale: Giant Ridley, Bowser, and Ganondorf unite.

The True Finale: Mario, Sonic, Tails, White Mage, and Black Mage join forces. You face all 5 opponents at the same time.
Nice ideas. Here are my ideas.

The only guard for now... - Mario and Luigi aren't seen anywhere while Bowser attempts to kidnap Peach! It's up to Toad. (Protect Peach from Bowser)

The hunt for Ridley - Samus and Captain Falcon team up to defeat Ridley. (Defeat Ridley. He's heavier than Bowser in this event)

Off for now

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
My Ideas:

Mario-Three Trouble Kings: Mario must defeat Bowser, K. Rool and Dedede to prove he is the best hero of all time

Red-Takeoff Again: PKMN trainer tends to defeat the rockets to prevent your Pokemon from being stolen

Link-Promised death: Ghirahim promised to kill the link next time they met. Will link escapes this?

Bowser Jr.-All Star Match: Following the example!: Will Bowser Jr. prove he's the villain of villains defeating Dedede, Meta Knight, Goroh, Gannondoff, Ghirahim, Rockets, Ridley, King K. Rool, Wolf, Wario, and your own Dad?

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Event match ideas (sorry if some of these have already been done)

The Ring Isn't Big Enough for the Three of Us!: Seems Little Mac's big fight is being delayed by a fight between Kirby and Dedede. Beat them both to make Mac the champ! (this, of course, is a reference to how in several Kirby games King Dedede's boss battle is in a boxing ring, which presumably would be the "home stage" for Little Mac)

The Forces of Evil!: Survive a fight with Bowser Jr., Goroh, "Dark Link" (the alt Link coloring), Dedede, K. Rool, Ridley, Bowser and Ganondorf. (a 1 vs. 3 battle. Each time one of the three is knocked out another one of the three takes their place- you can easily throw Metaknight and Wario in there too, but they are more of anti-heroes or "friendly enemies" than outright "evil")

Pikachu vs. the Plusle-Minun Swarm: Pikachu isn't the only electric mouse in town. Help him face a swarm of Plusles and Minuns.

Gears

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully SSB4 gets a lot more female characters than in the other Smash games. Off the top of my head there are only 6, while there are 31 males in Brawl. Hope to see a lot more females this time around.

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
Hopefully SSB4 gets a lot more female characters than in the other Smash games. Off the top of my head there are only 6, while there are 31 males in Brawl. Hope to see a lot more females this time around.
I hope so to, they have a hole year to shift thru possible femmale character's.

Femmale's i'd like to see are.

Toon Zelda.

krystal.

Daisy.

Rosalina.

Dixie Kong.

Gruntilda Winkybunion, 3rd party.

Gears

Smash Journeyman
I agree with Toon Zelda and Krystal, but I believe Daisy and Rosalina should just be costume changes for Peach. Daisy is already one in Brawl.

I don't think the characters in the rest of your list are popular enough, but good list anyways!

D

Deleted member

If it was confirmed that not only that there would be no new third-party characters, but also that Snake and Sonic would not be coming back, who would you replace them with in SSB4?

My choices would be King K. Rool, Saki Amamiya, and Ray 01/MK III.

I also noticed that Melee had 25 while Brawl had 35. If the consistency continues, we'll see somewhere between 44-46.
InferiorityComplex said:
Medusa for boss battle IMO. She's too big
Size isn't a relevant argument. If Bowser can be playable, so can Medusa.
User33 said:
You doubt that the WiiU version will get exclusives?

Enjoy your 30-35 (including transformations) roster then!
Exactly. If the rosters are the exact same for the 3DS and Wii-U, we will almost certainly receive a roster that's less then 40 (Not including transformations) and potentially a drop from Brawl's roster. The last two things I want from the series is an unimpressive roster and a fanbase in complete chaos. We either do this:

- Lots of exclusives for the 3DS and Wii-U that totals to potentially be over 50 (Not including transformations).

Or...

- The 3DS version is the cut-down version of the Wii-U version (3DS has 25-35 and the Wii-U hopefully has 44 characters or more).

Either I will support completely because I am not about to put up with a 40 or less roster for the next Smash. There are good reasons why I mention this in my signature.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
The thing with Bowser is that he's fluctuated over the years from being just a little bigger than Mario to on at least one occasion being Godzilla sized.

BTW, here are some alt-costume/looks that could be neat:

[collapse=Alt Costumes]
Doctor Mario:

Original SMB box art Bowser Koopa coloration (to the right):

Captain N Mega Man (I'm only half-joking):

Golf attire Peach (and Daisy, as a alt color of an alt costume):

[/collapse]

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
3DS won't have exclusives. WiiU will have ~50 characters. I think these are pretty safe predictions.

When it comes to how many characters the 3DS will have, I myself don't see why it couldn't match the WiiU. The music won't sound as good as on the WiiU. The graphics won't even be close. (who is going to notice the models and textures on such a tiny screen that has to fit [I assume] four characters?) I doubt many would be too disappointed if they cut a few stages. The one thing it really needs is the same amount of characters. Kind of what Smash is all about. If it isn't going to deliver in all other areas, surely getting in the same characters would be the top priority. "We're sorry, but our new 3DS system just can't handle it" doesn't sound like the greatest pitch. Although, this single-player component of it is what's most mysterious, and is what would probably dictate a lot of our opinions if we knew more about it.

Probably wrong. Not a big deal though. Don't care much about the 3DS version right now. I'll have Ridley waiting for me on the WiiU for sure~

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Probably wrong. Not a big deal though. Don't care much about the 3DS version right now. I'll have Ridley waiting for me on the WiiU for sure~
Agree. I mean, I'm excited at the idea of playing SSB anywhere, and I think some things in it (like the KOs where the KOee slams into the "camera") will be cool in 3D, but I think most people would agree with us that the "big show" is the Wii U.

dengel

Smash Cadet

Toon Zelda.

krystal.

Daisy.

Rosalina.

Dixie Kong.

Banjo-Kazooie is much more likely to be a character in SSB4 than Gruntilda Winkybunion is. And Banjo-Kazooie has an extremely slim chance of being on it already.

Though I do think Krystal and Rosalina would be good additions.

D

Deleted member

Banjo-Kazooie is much more likely to be a character in SSB4 than Gruntilda Winkybunion is. And Banjo-Kazooie has an extremely slim chance of being on it already.

Though I do think Krystal and Rosalina would be good additions.
I agree with Krystal, but why Rosalina? I can only see her as an Assist Trophy tops.

daAZNSensation

Smash Cadet
for the 3ds version, i figured the game could focus mainly on single playability, like story mode, training,etc and then a simple online multiplayer matches, like 1v1 only. im not sure if the 3ds can handle 4 characters. thats the only way i could see it if both games happen to have the same number of roster.

maybe the 3ds could be another controller option. (i feel like someone already said this before me).

:phone:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
If it was confirmed that not only that there would be no new third-party characters, but also that Snake and Sonic would not be coming back, who would you replace them with in SSB4?
It would make sense that they would not include 3rd party characters and thus remove Snake and Sonic. That being said, I still think that sucks, since they're both fun characters. Forgive me for being the weasel here, but do you have the source to back up this confirmation? I just wanna see this for myself. D:

D

Deleted member

It would make sense that they would not include 3rd party characters and thus remove Snake and Sonic. That being said, I still think that sucks, since they're both fun characters. Forgive me for being the weasel here, but do you have the source to back up this confirmation? I just wanna see this for myself. D:
This was never intended as an confirmation that third-party characters would not be in the game at all, just wanted to see people's thought on who they would replace Sonic, Snake, and Mega Man with their select Nintendo characters. Too bad it didn't take off.

daAZNSensation

Smash Cadet
if rosalina is a costume, then she will have the same moves as peach, meaning she will use toad, an umbrella, vegetables, and sports equipment. same goes for dr. mario, he will throw fireballs instead of pills,

just saying

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
This was never intended as an confirmation that third-party characters would not be in the game at all, just wanted to see people's thought on who they would replace Sonic, Snake, and Mega Man with their select Nintendo characters. Too bad it didn't take off.
That's where it threw me off, since your posted stated that "it was confirmed". That said, I don't think it's easy finding actual replacements for characters that are unique as Sonic, Snake and Mega Man, especially since Nintendo - to my knowledge - doesn't really have any characters of their own who could really play like Sonic and Snake. As for Mega Man, the closest Nintendo has is Samus, but she's already playable since Smash 64.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
That is too much 3rd parties. I only expect Mega Man, Snake and Sonic as 3rd parties. If there is one more to be added in that 3rd parties, it would be Ryu.

Size argument?

I guess she would be a worthy 3DS exclusive.

My turn and here's my redone roster:

Mario universe:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Toad
Bowser Jr.

Zelda universe:
Link
Zelda/Shiek
Ganondorf (Sword)
Young Link

Donkey Kong universe:
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
K Rool

Metroid universe:
Samus/ZSS
Ridley

Yoshi universe:
Yoshi

Star Fox unuiverse:
Fox
Falco
Wolf

Kirby universe:
Kirby
Meta Knight
King Dedede

Pokemon universe:
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Zoroark
Pokemon Trainer (3)

Earthbound universe:
Ness
Lucas

F-zero universe:
Captain Falcon

Retro universe:
Game and Watch
Ice Climbers
ROB
Takumaru

Paper Mario universe:
Paper Mario (3DS)

Kid Icarus universe:
Pit
Medusa

Wario universe:
Wario

Pikmin universe:
Olimar (Wii U)

Punch out universe:
Little Mac (Wii U)

Golden Sun Universe:
Isaac (3DS)

3rd party:
Snake
Sonic
Mega Man

Newcomers:
Toad
Bowser Jr.
Young Link
Dixie
K Rool
Ridley
Takumaru
Mega Man
Zoroark
3 new pokemons of Pokemon Trainer

Exclusives:

3DS:
Isaac
Paper Mario

Wii U:
Little Mac
Olimar

Number of newcomers: 13 (Both Wii U and 3DS)

Number of characters: 43, 48 (With transformations)

2 free slots for characters or not. I made it below 50. The problem is it's equal so I think most of the exclusives should go to the Wii U. Any characters in this roster?

I'm supporting Toad, Ridley, Jr, and pretty much all the newcomers in my roster.
You forgot Marth and Ike, but overall I agree with the list except I would replace Takamaru with Medusa instead since Kid Icarus is in the works by Sakurai himself and he'll most likely want to promote someone in any way.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Speaking of Ridley, has anyone considered that, because Other M is the most recent Metroid game, all things Metroid in Sm4sh may be stylized after Other M? How would everyone feel about that?

Personally, I would feel it would be such a troll move to have us wait to play as Ridley for so long, and then give us that ugly THING to play with instead.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Other M was a noble experiment that went horribly, horribly wrong. It had it's moments, but in general it was a massive lost opportunity. At most, I think we might see a stage based on it (plus trophies and some music).

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
My problem with it, is that it was rather cliché by the latter part of the game, and having Samus depicted as a crying little girl when she sees Ridley, was just... painful. Other than those, I still liked it for what it was.

Speaking of which, perhaps Anthony could be playable? It's possible, though I would most personally want to see someone like Sylux or Noxus from Prime Hunters.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Toon Zelda.

krystal.

Daisy.

Rosalina.

Dixie Kong.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Grunty is owned by Rare, just like Banjo and Kazooie. She'll never get in, since Rare is Microsoft's property.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Speaking of Ridley, has anyone considered that, because Other M is the most recent Metroid game, all things Metroid in Sm4sh may be stylized after Other M? How would everyone feel about that?

Personally, I would feel it would be such a troll move to have us wait to play as Ridley for so long, and then give us that ugly THING to play with instead.
No, even worse, we get the Ridley before he evolves with wings. I think I would riot.

Sakurai is very aware of Ridley, he was in all 3 smashes so far, and in each successive instalment he has beem given a little more screen time. Just like Giga Bowzer got a bit of an upgrade into playability instead of just being another boss, I imagine the same thing happening to Ridley. Sakurai is always trying to "evolve" the series and add new things, chances are he won't want Ridley as just another boss again. I'm sure this was posted some time ago on these boards. But remember this?

Nintendo Power: There was a rumor at one point about Ridley being playable. Was that ever a consideration?

Sakurai: I think that would probably be pretty impossible. [Laughs] If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow. Would that be all right? [Laughs]
He knows we want him, and he knows him and his team can do it.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
and having Samus depicted as a crying little girl when she sees Ridley, was just... painful.
I would like to point out:

That is how Samus sees Ridley. NOTE: Those are her parents Ridley is holding. Which he ate. And later taunted her about. Not something so easy to get over. Of course, she had fought him before, buuut I'm pretty sure they just wanted to establish the relationship those two have since they didn't have the opportunity to do so in past games. (I'm guessing because Retro was involved with the Prime series, they didn't know the whole story of Metroid, so they didn't add in stuff like that.)

ANYWAY. To add to the Ridleyness of this post, I found an amazing custom sprite that is a pretty good representation of how Ridley could be portrayed in Smash.

Could maybe use a few tweaks here and there, and of course his wings would be small like in the 2D games, otherwise it's perfect~

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
As much as it makes me weep to f*cking say it, I think I agree. However, with his recent surge in popularity among Smash fans, I think if Sakurai takes a poll (Which he should) maybe he'll take notice of him.
I hope they emphasize his crocodile-ness by giving him a tail. Sometimes he has one (and the length is inconsistent), other times he doesn't, and when he doesn't he looks like a frog (Wart) with jagged teeth. I also hope his egyptian outfit appears in some form (Mario Super Sluggers); a trophy, an alt costume, whatever.

Toon Zelda. TBH I think there are better options but whatever.

krystal. Cool.

Daisy. She's kinda already in, and I think there's better choices from that series.

Rosalina. She's one of the better choices, but since Peach is in I think Rosalina would be a great assist trophy. Or they could give Peach an alt where her dress is the same color as Rosalina's, and her hair is also. Think of it as Mario/Luigi's Wario and Waluigi colors instead of literally changing characters by picking different outfits.

Dixie Kong. Sure, why not. I would like her to be solo.

Gruntilda Winkybunion, 3rd party. Why choose Grunty when you could pick Banjo and Kazooie? Kazooie's a girl you know, and even though they probably won't be in, they're better choices.
Comments in yellow.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I would like to point out:

That is how Samus sees Ridley. NOTE: Those are her parents Ridley is holding. Which he ate. And later taunted her about. Not something so easy to get over. Of course, she had fought him before, buuut I'm pretty sure they just wanted to establish the relationship those two have since they didn't have the opportunity to do so in past games. (I'm guessing because Retro was involved with the Prime series, they didn't know the whole story of Metroid, so they didn't add in stuff like that.)
I already know of Samus' relationship to Ridley, and the story behind the death of her parents and everything, so I already knew what they were aiming for. It doesn't stop that moment from being cheesy though; that's the point. :p

ANYWAY. To add to the Ridleyness of this post, I found an amazing custom sprite that is a pretty good representation of how Ridley could be portrayed in Smash.

Could maybe use a few tweaks here and there, and of course his wings would be small like in the 2D games, otherwise it's perfect~
They just need to add in some wings, and he'll be fine.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Yes, making a character who has always been able to face her fears and move past the crying like a ***** phase when faced with this lingering testament of her past which she has overcome multiple times and gained reassurance for suddenly is crying like a *****. Retro probably didn't do it because they realized how horrible and regressive that would be for character development.

If this was one of the first games with Ridley then that could be a pivotal moment, not the second to last one.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Yes, making a character who has always been able to face her fears and move past the crying like a ***** phase when faced with this lingering testament of her past which she has overcome multiple times and gained reassurance for suddenly is crying like a *****. Retro probably didn't do it because they realized how horrible and regressive that would be for character development.

Maybe if this was one of the first games with Ridley, not the second to last one.
Yeah, it would make sense if they remade the first Metroid game and then depicted Samus in this state of mind - having seen Ridley for the first time since she was a child. This is Other M; a game that takes place after Super Metroid, so chronologically, she has faced Ridley more than several times before.

That reminds me, imagine if they do put Ridley in as a playable character but use that strange alien design seen in the Metroid instruction booklet. That... that would be lulzy. XD

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Sometimes I feel like I'm one of the few people that understood Other M for the most part.

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
if rosalina is a costume, then she will have the same moves as peach, meaning she will use toad, an umbrella, vegetables, and sports equipment. same goes for dr. mario, he will throw fireballs instead of pills,

just saying

Im all for Rosalina as being a trophy,it would be nice to see her get in as something.

If she was playable id like her to be her own rather being Peach. Rosalina has no umbrrealla as she lives in space but she is fom the blue planet.

She was not from super mario bros.2 so she can't have vegetable's and she can't have sport's equipment cose shes not been in any of Mario sport's games that i no of.So i'd like to realy no how she could be used on Peach as a costume when none of Peache's move's could go with her?

I new grunty was ownd by rare i just thought i'd thro her on the list:)

I would tho like krystal to be in ssb4 tho ...but iv seen a few people say that nintendo is doing away with her:(

It would be nice if they would put her in there befor they thro her away!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

If this was one of the first games with Ridley then that could be a pivotal moment, not the second to last one.
I agree, and the funny thing is that they might've gotten away with it in the Prime series since it occurs near the beginning of the Metroid games' timeline. I mean, by Other M, Prime would be old memories to Samus.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Sometimes I feel like I'm one of the few people that understood Other M for the most part.
I think everyone else understood it. I feel like I'm one of the few who actually liked it.

Thinking about it, what kind of moveset would Ridley have anyway? I'm pretty sure he'd be able to glide - assuming they keep that as a mechanic in the next Smash Bros. - and have multiple jumps. I could worry and think they'd make him slow, but Sakurai did mention that he was going to leave character balance up to the developement team, which can be a blessing or a curse, depending on what they do. If it means making Ganondorf good again, and justifying his title as the King of Evil and wielder of the Triforce of Power, then by all means...

dengel

Smash Cadet
People are suggesting that Rosalina would be a copy of Peach, but I was thinking her moveset would be completely different. After all, she does have a wand, and she could have moves related to star-bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom