• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

y.toonlink

Smash Ace
Huh? Bubbles and Balloon Fighter ARE NOT realistic, Sakurai deemed them as failure in Melee, hence why they were scrapped, Mach Rider? Meh..I don't know why you think he has realistic chances when he got scrapped completly in Melee. :/

The point of it all is, they aren't popular or requested as much to begin with, Sakurai might not look into it since he deemed them as failure and not much demand is happening for them.

Also Starfy isn't retro at all.
From earlier sorry I havent been on

I basically listed some characters that were being talked about here. My apologies if I missed something. Also Im sure someone filled you in that there was a Mach Rider discussion in the 10 pages I was gone.
And sure they were scrapped in Melee but whos to say they wont be reconsidered? I liked the topic of classic characters being discussed.

@nLiM8d
Im not really trying to make a point, I just try to throw some fun ideas around. I dont believe I need to write an essay every time I post here. Its 2-4 years until release, why so srs about a game now?

F*ck Tingle. I really dont see what the big deal is about some characters having similar attacks

:phone:

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
I had a feeling I'd have to post right about now

What am I beefing over this time and can it be resolved?:rolleyes:

Somebody mad?

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
I'm not sure if I could make a nod to that, I'm even associated with the NAACP.

YT

What's wrong with what you said? What makes you think I want you to go into detail about it?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
It's personal preference. I like things interesting. . . something Toon Link right now, is definitely not.

But don't worry, if Toon Link is replaced, I'm betting on Young Link. (Hopefully with a MM3DS Moveset of sorts. Masks or not)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm thinking a Young Link with some kind of Majora's Mask moveset

Operation Moonfall are filled with some insane individuals and have been pestering Nintendo since Nintendo asked if fans liked the game.

I think they overwhelmed Nintendo

y.toonlink

Smash Ace
Whoops: things that arent relaistic can be fun too
You asked if that was the point i was trying to make and i just said im not really trying to make a point etc

@Shortie
Interesting in terms of appearance right?

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Not asking you, helping you.

Balloon Fighter and Bubbles aren't all that realistic or requested, y.toonlink.
Huh? Bubbles and Balloon Fighter ARE NOT realistic

You did seem to have a good point and I said I respected it. Nothing more.

No need to get all deep and personal.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Interesting in all regards. Moveset, appearance, the atmosphere they could bring to the game which includes MUSIC AND STAGES. Blah blah.

That's what I think of, anyway.

What? No... I'm totally Shortie what are you talking about.

EDIT: Wow... "Tucker." I never noticed that.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
@Shortie
Interesting in terms of appearance right?
If I wanted interesting as in appearence, i would pick someone who actually is pretty/cool designed....well.

I mean interesting as in NOT a tweaked version of normal Link.

Operation Moonfall are filled with some insane individuals and have been pestering Nintendo since Nintendo asked if fans liked the game.

I think they overwhelmed Nintendo
I'm thinkin' it's more like Nintendo was thinking about making the game, and just threw it out there to see if it would actually stick. . . and it does.

If I wanted "interesting" I would have gone for Frotier Brain Tucker...

Named after his signature move.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
It would be nice if I could get berserker and Iblis in one setting for once.

Between the three of us I'd bet we'd make a big difference.

y.toonlink

Smash Ace
Not really all that personal, just throwing that out there.
I didnt mean harm either if you thought that
And I said I aint even mad :O

@Shortie and Oasis
I meant appearance in terms of attacks. I still stick to basing characters on being unique through how they play rather than who they look like they play

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Its cool, I saw that tingle comment and I sort of played on that.
If you haven't noticed, I joke around quite a bit. I doubt you'll ever see me getting real serious.

Everything's a gauge with me, if ever you want to go deep, we can go there.
Just try not to look so immensely into what I have to say if that's not where you're at.

So Hi, I'm (n)ever, nice to meet you ;)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Not really all that personal, just throwing that out there.
I didnt mean harm either if you thought that
And I said I aint even mad :O

@Shortie and Oasis
I meant appearance in terms of attacks. I still stick to basing characters on being unique through how they play rather than who they look like they play

I'd rather have characters that look AND play unique

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
No the question is what is Nintendo thinking? This only further validates what 01.net has been leaking. Which has me worried that Nintendo really is in a tougher spot than they have let on.

On an off hand note; for those who enjoy the series. Monster Hunter Tri G was also confirmed for the 3DS.
http://www.gonintendo.com/content/uploads/images/Aug2011/391676381.jpg

Which potentially puts us one step closer to that rumored Mach Rider 3DS game.

Neogaf is just melting down. Now the fear is, and rightfully so, that Nintendo is going to be announcing a revision in the not to distant future.
Whoa!!!!!!

Neogaf is definetly melting down, dang son, the rumor mill is melting, whoa, monster rancher?!!!

Hype!!!!!

Well Iwata's future at Nintendo really hinges upon how the 3DS does this holiday season.

As to third-party reveals at a hypothetical trailer. One of the two will almost certainly be Mega Man.

As to Sakurai's comment about how series have to sometimes radically change, I am thinking its possible that this game may be the big overhaul to the Smash Bros. series, and we might be looking at a very meager roster increase over Brawl paired with massive cuts from Brawl (which the Japanese fanbase is bitterly expecting).

The characters they believe to be on the chopping block are:
Snake
Sonic
Lucario
Ike
Lucas
Toon Link
ROB
Wolf
Toon Link and Sonic? That seems absurd, no way Sakurai would cut them just yet, they are to important, and Ike hopefully doesn't go anywhere, that would ruin Smash 4 for me, even if we do get some new FE rep.

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
Rather then another SSB game I would like a (SSB style) Nintendo vs Sega or Nintendo vs Capcom game or something like that. But since it seems there sticking to the same thing my suggestions are less trophies, it was nice to have a Nintendo encyclopaedia in the game but I couldn't help but feel that it was just space that could have held more characters, stages etc. Also keep the sound test in, that was one of my favourite features in Brawl.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Sound test is definetly going to stay, it's been around since Melee y'know.

FYI: Nintendo vs. Capcom should happen, it would be the best crossover ever!!

vicgur

Smash Ace
But since it seems there sticking to the same thing my suggestions are less trophies, it was nice to have a Nintendo encyclopaedia in the game but I couldn't help but feel that it was just space that could have held more characters, stages etc. Also keep the sound test in, that was one of my favourite features in Brawl.

Trophies are hollow, motionless polygons. I don't really think they take much space.

And I don't think you should worry, as WiiU discs will probably have enough space for lots of trophies + enough characters. Are they gonna use the space wisely? One can only hope.

Talking about Trophies, what do you people think of them? Do you think they should change something? I think they sould change the Coin Launcher. It's just too frustrating! ;(

D

Deleted member

The silver lining in this though is that Sakurai may be forced to show SOMETHING about Smash 4 at E3 2012, primarily to give fans confidence about the Wii U.I am betting that if we only get one or two newcomers in the trailer it will be BIG guest characters.
Why would the newcomers be only guests? While Mega Man's reveal would make me very happy (along many others), guests are not guarantee to return. If anything, recent financial situation may be the reason why may end up with no third-party characters at all. SmashChu has a point in which third-party characters will likely receive the lowest priority and since this is Nintendo All-Star, I'm hoping that if we must face cuts, they take it out on third-parties. It will upset many people, but I'd much rather have that then Lucario replaced with *ugh* Zoroark *ugh*.

Ridley and King K. Rool could make as much, if not more audiences, excited about the game and they are potential Nintendo newcomers who are some of the most requested newcomers and aside from trolls, they have almost unanimous support.
As to third-party reveals at a hypothetical trailer. One of the two will almost certainly be Mega Man.

As to Sakurai's comment about how series have to sometimes radically change, I am thinking its possible that this game may be the big overhaul to the Smash Bros. series, and we might be looking at a very meager roster increase over Brawl paired with massive cuts from Brawl (which the Japanese fanbase is bitterly expecting).

The characters they believe to be on the chopping block are:
Snake
Sonic
Lucario
Ike
Lucas
Toon Link
ROB
Wolf
- Read what I said above.

- This is why I only expect 36 slots for this game and seven good Nintendo newcomers. Unfortunately, this comes with lots of cutting.

- From a realistic perspective, the only one I'm worried about that is in danger is Lucario. Snake and Sonic will likely return, as will Ike, Lucas, and R.O.B. Wolf might get the axe (I don't think Falco will be axed) if Star Fox 64 3D tanks (which the chances of it has sadly risen), but if it does sell well, I say we are more likely to get Krystal then a cut. Toon Link is definitely in danger, but I see him being replaced by Young Link, so I have no worries about that (heck they could cut him off entirely and I still wouldn't flinch). Lucario has an unique move set and a not-so-great chance of returning, which makes me worried about him. However, I do not expect any of them except Ike and R.O.B. to return.
It has already been discussed, it's not just for Monster Hunter. This is, regrettably, a Nintendo product.

As far as major overhauls on Smash. I actually think Sakurai will focus more on the online aspect this time around. That is where I believe the overhaul will be focused on. If nothing else at least for the Wii U installment.

As far as the roster goes another option, though many might not like this, is to have separate rosters that have exclusive characters.
I actually like the idea of roster exclusive on both versions, though to avoid spending more money, I'd prefer for the exclusive on be on the Wii-U.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Why would the newcomers be only guests? While Mega Man's reveal would make me very happy (along many others), guests are not guarantee to return. If anything, recent financial situation may be the reason why may end up with no third-party characters at all. SmashChu has a point in which third-party characters will likely receive the lowest priority and since this is Nintendo All-Star, I'm hoping that if we must face cuts, they take it out on third-parties. It will upset many people, but I'd much rather have that then Lucario replaced with *ugh* Zoroark *ugh*.

Ridley and King K. Rool could make as much, if not more audiences, excited about the game and they are potential Nintendo newcomers who are some of the most requested newcomers and aside from trolls, they have almost unanimous support.- Read what I said above.
I don't think he is saying the only newcomers will be guests. Just that two guests will be present in the trailer. Which is a great way to build excitement when you need a shot in the arm. The financial aspect is really not as bad as it sounds. I cannot see finance being a reason any guest character would be removed or absent from the game. If we can have Mario and Sonic every past couple of years, a couple guest characters are chump change. Especially when most of guest characters get the invaluable trade off of free publicity and advertisement. So it won't be money that keeps them away.

To be honest more people would be satisfied having third party characters than having an all Nintendo roster. To be quite frank most people would probably sacrifice Lucario and other Nintendo characters on the altar of Megaman or any other generally popular third party character. Outside of the few oft requested Nintendo characters (Ridley, King K. Rool, the Assist Trophies, Mewtwo, and Roy) there really is no bigger demand for any character apart from third party characters. Megaman is a very consistent demand. A SquareEnix character is also consistently demanded; of which the only variable there is no consistent choice on whom that should be. Even with my personal affection for the series aside I'll still say that Dragon Quest, whether it be Slime or the Hero, would be the series chosen by both Square and Nintendo. If for no other reason than the fact that Nintendo has a strong affiliation and partnership to this series. It also doesn't hurt that Sakurai seems to be a fan of the series, but he is so modest that it doesn't really mean much.

- This is why I only expect 36 slots for this game and seven good Nintendo newcomers. Unfortunately, this comes with lots of cutting.
Now you are being too pessimistic. We are not going to have anything below 42 slots at the least. In every title they have manage to add a "row" of characters; I expect no less from Super Smash Bros 4. Things may be bad right now, but not reason to be bleak.

What happened today and yesterday?
Rumors and meltdowns.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Trophies are hollow, motionless polygons. I don't really think they take much space.

And I don't think you should worry, as WiiU discs will probably have enough space for lots of trophies + enough characters. Are they gonna use the space wisely? One can only hope.

Talking about Trophies, what do you people think of them? Do you think they should change something? I think they sould change the Coin Launcher. It's just too frustrating! ;(
The amount of memory that each trophy uses varies, based on its models and textures.

The Coin Launcher is superior to Melee's Lottery in that it actually requires you to play a shooting game rather than rely on luck.

vicgur

Smash Ace
Why do you guys think so small in terms of roster?
Brawl got 35[minus transformations] characters in a 8Gb [dual-layered] disc.
Wii U disc is said to store 25Gb of data. If you dual-layer this b****[something I bet they would do with a game like Brawl], we are getting 50Gb.
It's more than 6 times the space in Brawl.
If they kept the same graphics[they won't], they could put in the game 210 characters. [AVERAGE]
Yeah, I know it won't happen, but I really think you guys should be a little more optimistic about the roster's size...

The amount of memory that each trophy uses varies, based on its models and textures.
Yeah, I thought so...
Do you know what's he total amount of space they all spend? I'd like to know.

The Coin Launcher is superior to Melee's Lottery in that it actually requires you to play a shooting game rather than rely on luck.
I don't think so. It relies on luck[the trophy you need appears] and ability[you shoot it and get it].
In Melee, if you put enough coins it's certain it will pop a new trophy.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Why do you guys think so small in terms of roster?
Brawl got 35[minus transformations] characters in a 8Gb [dual-layered] disc.
Wii U disc is said to store 25Gb of data. If you dual-layer this b****[something I bet they would do with a game like Brawl], we are getting 50Gb.
It's more than 6 times the space in Brawl.
If they kept the same graphics[they won't], they could put in the game 210 characters.
Yeah, I know it won't happen, but I really think you guys should be a little more optimistic about the roster's size...
You must remember, if the roster is universal there is the limitation of the 3DS systems's cartridge. Meaning the Wii U roster could be handicapped.

I think a lot of people were burned in Brawl and it is as that saying goes, "once burned you learn to fear the fire". So many people take an extremely pessimistic attitude so as to keep themselves from being disappointed. Personally I do not expect many cuts nor do I expect the roster to be smaller than 42 slots.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
I think the roster will have 48 characters and 50 with form changes

edit:On Itouch during school I'm a rebel!

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I really think they should add a few characters (either to represent some series or flesh out old ones) but I want them to improve a lot of other features in brawl that were just thrown in there.

Level editor

Stadium (Boss battles mainly)

Adventure Mode (SSE)

They were great ideas but they didn't fully flesh them out or they took it in the wrong direction.

vicgur

Smash Ace
You must remember, if the roster is universal there is the limitation of the 3DS systems's cartridge. Meaning the Wii U roster could be handicapped.
That's the main thing I'm afraid of.
But my theory is that the games will have different rosters.
I think the 3DS version will have less of everything the WiiU version will. But well, we can only speculate...

I think a lot of people were burned in Brawl and it is as that saying goes, "once burned you learn to fear the fire". So many people take an extremely pessimistic attitude so as to keep themselves from being disappointed. Personally I do not expect many cuts nor do I expect the roster to be smaller than 42 slots.
Yeah, I got burned too.
But I don't think one disappointment should make people pessimistic... Maybe cautious, but not pessismistic.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Here is an interesting question. Brawl added nine new series to the game (by series that is anything having its own icon). Three of which were solely represented by a stage.

If you could pick six additional series with a corresponding character, and three represented solely by a stage. Which series would everyone select? Third party is allowed. Here are my selections as an example:

Punch Out series
Legendary Starfy series
Golden Sun series
Sin and Punishment series
Megaman series
Dragon Quest series

Stage only:

Custom Robo series
Xenoblade series
Tetris series

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
NOOO DON'T START THAT.

As for Roster size, isn't it all in a range of like, 10? Lol. 45 (slots) would be pretty small. 10 more than Brawl, and would be just under 50 total characters, so that's probably the smallest it could possibly be within reason. Then 55 slots (59 total) would be on the other end of the SPECTRUM. That's a crazy amount, and no one should expect anything more than that. All the best picks would fit in a 55 roster, so I try to subtract from that when thinking of a more realistic roster.

And for your little GAME:
Punch-Out!!
Golden Sun
Sin & Punishment
Xenoblade
Murasame Castle
Mega Man

Stages:
Legendary Starfy
Custom Robo
Wii (Mii?)

vicgur

Smash Ace
I'd say 50 is a nice number. 15 new characters[is they don't get anybody out] even sound kinda absurd if you think about it.

Let me try this thing:
Characters:
Golden Sun
Punch Out!!
Sin & Punishment
Wii/Mii
Mega Man

[I don't really think about any other third party franchise. Doesn't mean I wouldn't welcome Bomberman or something like that... I think I'd choose Geno as the other third party[if he is considered a third party], and he would be from the Mario franchise]

Stages:
Famicom/Advance/Battalion Wars
Something from DS, like Rhythm Heaven or Last Window/Hotel Dusk/Another Code
Excite Bike[wat]

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Especially when most of guest characters get the invaluable trade off of free publicity and advertisement.
No need to beat around the bush there, we know it.

Shoot, the way things are going now? If Sonic Gen is the very last game in the catalog, I would be just dandy.

Personally, yeah if I could trade an extra for a 3rd party, I'd probably do it.
Mewtwo is a different story though.

[COLLAPSE="Since we're following along Star"]
PAPER Series​
X Series​
GOLDEN SUN series​
CAVE STORY Series​
RAYMAN Series​
TELEROBOXER SERIES​
[/COLLAPSE]
Couldn't find a decent Jiro GIF, so Harry'll have to do!

Stages

Advanced Wars
Professor Layton
Sin & Punishment (Seeing as how nice Shadow Moses Island turned out)

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Characters:
Legendary Starfy seriesPanel De Pon series
Nazo No Murasame-Jo series
Golden Sun series
Megaman series

Stage-wise:
Rhythm Heaven
For The Frog The Bell Tolls (I know it sounds very unlikely, but I wish it will be noted more now in SSB4)
Super Mario Galaxy

vicgur

Smash Ace
Now that you mentioned stages, I can ask:
Am I the only one who misses a Bowser Castle stage?
I think it's one of the most iconic places in the Mario franchise.

I want a stage of it, and I mean a stage with Bowser's face everywhere, lava, moving platforms, giant hammers and spikes, thwomps, saws and everything[Yes, the pro-tier players would hate it].

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't think so. It relies on luck[the trophy you need appears] and ability[you shoot it and get it].
In Melee, if you put enough coins it's certain it will pop a new trophy.
That's rather boring though, which is why the Coin Launcher got implemented. That way, you'd have to work harder to get every random trophy.

Kantrip

Kantplay
It would be cool if it was all skill-based.

Maybe something like: costs a different amount of coins, depending on the trophy, to attempt to win the trophy in some sort of game (be it a pinball type thing, what they did in Melee classic mode, or another coin launcher). You pay the coins, and then the trophy dispenses into the mini-game. If you win the game, you get the trophy.

Some trophies would be really rare and you would have to pick the random option to get them. The rest would just vary in price.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
additional series for ssb4:

Punch Out series
Golden Sun series