• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Sheeeeaa I mean at least the Gameboy player was form fitting... it's like this thing's lookin to take over!

I even had this sleek concept in mind, what was I thinkin?

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
No the question is what is Nintendo thinking? This only further validates what 01.net has been leaking. Which has me worried that Nintendo really is in a tougher spot than they have let on.

On an off hand note; for those who enjoy the series. Monster Hunter Tri G was also confirmed for the 3DS.
http://www.gonintendo.com/content/uploads/images/Aug2011/391676381.jpg

Which potentially puts us one step closer to that rumored Mach Rider 3DS game.

Neogaf is just melting down. Now the fear is, and rightfully so, that Nintendo is going to be announcing a revision in the not to distant future.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Well think about it now

We're talkin about a company that goes

Gameboy --> Super Gameboy --> Gameboy Color
64 --> 64DD
GBA --> SP --> Micro
DS --> DS Light --> DSi --> DSi XL

And Essentially GCN--> Wii --> WiiU

and all the **** inbetween, like peripherals

I expect none better without the extra nickles and sense.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think Nintendo shot itself in the foot with this. 3DS sales will surely plummet in Japan now that almost everyone will be expecting an inevitable redesign that has the second analog-stick and extended battery-life. Iwata could very well no longer be president of Nintendo after 2012. Also, I ignore NeoGaf outside of E3. Its like GameFAQs except with skyhigh egos.

The silver lining in this though is that Sakurai may be forced to show SOMETHING about Smash 4 at E3 2012, primarily to give fans confidence about the Wii U.I am betting that if we only get one or two newcomers in the trailer it will be BIG guest characters.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Difference is Nintendo publicly stated they decided to forego a second Circle Pad for gyroscopic sensors. Thinking that would be a suitable alternative. Turns out it wasn't. Now they sit there and give you a big, bulky add on. Killing any kind of portability and possibly even limiting access to some games as some developers will likely require it.

On top of all this there is now a very real chance that the other rumor from 01.net, which is the 3DS redesign, could be true too.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
...And the disaster turns into cheers and fireworks.
I may get my Slime reveal after all... Sad it must be at the expense of Iwata's job because in whatever strange way I genuinely admire the man. To be honest Miyamoto is just as guilty. Especially after reading this quote:

“Sometimes people ask why the 3DS isn’t double stick. One is normally used to control the camera, but having the gyro sensor you can replace the analogue stick by moving the console, which is very intuitive.”

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I don't get why the 3ds is so bad, I think it's a pretty good as it is now.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I may get my Slime reveal after all... Sad it must be at the expense of Iwata's job because in whatever strange way I genuinely admire the man. To be honest Miyamoto is just as guilty. Especially after reading this quote:
Well Iwata's future at Nintendo really hinges upon how the 3DS does this holiday season.

As to third-party reveals at a hypothetical trailer. One of the two will almost certainly be Mega Man.

As to Sakurai's comment about how series have to sometimes radically change, I am thinking its possible that this game may be the big overhaul to the Smash Bros. series, and we might be looking at a very meager roster increase over Brawl paired with massive cuts from Brawl (which the Japanese fanbase is bitterly expecting).

The characters they believe to be on the chopping block are:
Snake
Sonic
Lucario
Ike
Lucas
Toon Link
ROB
Wolf

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Okay, as far as I'm concerned, the add on is the worst idea Nintendo could have, and I'm hoping they can see this. Honestly, they already made the lack of launch title mistake with the 3DS, do you think Iwata would let this slide? Especially when his head is on the line. I'm pretty sure it isn't true, I mean didn't Reggie say this wasn't going down?

It's the worst idea they could have, and I'm sure they realize that.

As to Sakurai's comment about how series have to sometimes radically change, I am thinking its possible that this game may be the big overhaul to the Smash Bros. series, and we might be looking at a very meager roster increase over Brawl paired with massive cuts from Brawl (which the Japanese fanbase is bitterly expecting).

Snake
Sonic
Lucario
Ike
Lucas
Toon Link
ROB
Wolf
Don't say that too loudly, people around here may think you're crazy.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
One thing nobody considered yet is the possibility of the peripheral being something made by CAPCOM only to be used for MONSTER HUNTER.

Maybe Nintendo didn't even have anything to do with it...
It has already been discussed, it's not just for Monster Hunter. This is, regrettably, a Nintendo product.

As far as major overhauls on Smash. I actually think Sakurai will focus more on the online aspect this time around. That is where I believe the overhaul will be focused on. If nothing else at least for the Wii U installment.

As far as the roster goes another option, though many might not like this, is to have separate rosters that have exclusive characters.

vicgur

Smash Ace
It has already been discussed, it's not just for Monster Hunter. This is, regrettably, a Nintendo product.
Really!? Oh, sorry. Damn, I'm really worried right now... Hope Nintendo gets off this swamp of hatred as soon as possible.

Snake
Sonic
Lucario
Ike
Lucas
Toon Link
ROB
Wolf
I HATED that list, but if it's true there's nothing I can do...
Oh, no... Please, Snake...

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
While I don't think the 3DS is bad, it just had a bad launch. Either way I plan to get one with Kid Icarus (Happy 25th KI) for Christmas.

But I do agree, Smash has pretty much no choice but to show something at E3 2012, it was the ONLY 1st party game announced for the Wii U; the rest were just tech demos.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
THIS. THIS. and THIS some more.

If anything Tri-Hy, Kuma helped bring it around with depth and options topics in mind.
Yep. I made sure to include that in my argument as it makes the decision to switch out the C-Stick for something else much more appealing.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Snake
Sonic
Lucario
Ike
Lucas
Toon Link
ROB
Wolf
Yeah for now I would agree, except for Ike and R.O.B.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
BS, What is this "argument" that you speak of? you hardly mentioned anything at all.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Well Iwata's future at Nintendo really hinges upon how the 3DS does this holiday season.

As to third-party reveals at a hypothetical trailer. One of the two will almost certainly be Mega Man.

Snake
Sonic
Lucario
Ike
Lucas
Toon Link
ROB
Wolf
I highly doubt Snake and Sonic, though Sonic could use some help with his specials to make him more interesting.

Toon Link is the only one I think can go either way. If left as is, he's likely to go, otherwise, he'll stay if he gets a revamp.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
FYI, the Japanese Smash fans were really upset with Mewtwo and Roy being cut. As a matter of fact, they are actually the two most requested characters for Smash 4 by them. Perhaps their pessimism in regards to character cuts for Smash 4 stems from their bitterness about Mewtwo and Roy being cut. I think this bitterness by the Japanese fanbase may be what stops Sakurai from getting axe-happy like he did with Brawl. We may possibly see no cuts, even Mewtwo and Roy brought back.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
There could be the random cut thrown in there as well though. The Mewtwo of SSB4 cuts.
Well to be quite honest Roy and Mewtwo were probably not intended to be cut. They were just casualties of timing. So it isn't like they were cut in the same fashion as Dr. Mario or Pichu per se.

FYI, the Japanese Smash fans were really upset with Mewtwo and Roy being cut. As a matter of fact, they are actually the two most requested characters for Smash 4 by them. Perhaps their pessimism in regards to character cuts for Smash 4 stems from their bitterness about Mewtwo and Roy being cut. I think this bitterness by the Japanese fanbase may be what stops Sakurai from getting axe-happy like he did with Brawl. We may possibly see no cuts, even Mewtwo and Roy brought back.
On the flipside this would mean fewer new characters. So eventually somebody is going to be unhappy anyways. They just have to pick their poison. Personally, I'd try not to cut anyone. Besides, Sakurai has stated the field for newcomers is thinning. Outside of the obvious popular choices such as Ridley; every other character falls under more of the "forum driven" banner.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Well to be quite honest Roy and Mewtwo were probably not intended to be cut. They were just casualties of timing. So it isn't like they were cut in the same fashion as Dr. Mario or Pichu per se.
Yes, but he was cut.

Is Roy the Mewtwo of Fire Emblem? One of the most deserving characters in his series who got cut? I mean, of course he isn't near Mewtwo's status in terms of cutlural impact ect, but within his own series, is he comparable to him?

Toon Link is the only one I think can go either way. If left as is, he's likely to go, otherwise, he'll stay if he gets a revamp.
Unless Sakurai is truly serious about major changes to the series, I don't see Toon Link, or Young Link for that matter, ever being "revamped" to the point that we're satisfied as LoZ fans.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Just saw couple of little blurbs, but apparently Iwata was not very happy at his latest public appearance at the Dragon Quest event the other day. I've seen the pictures, the guy really is visibly upset. Some people are speculating he had a report from his shareholders.

Gosh I hope it isn't true... :(

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Gosh I hope it isn't true... :(
I think what it should come down to is this: Does 3DS flopage overshadow the Phenomenon that was The Wii?

I'm going to put my vote in and say no. Because the 3DS still has a chance to at least do okay. Sure, it may never be the DS Lite or whatever, but it still has legs IMO.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why would ROB leave? He's awsome.

Besides, he's the game and watch of this game.

I second him and would be really disappointed if he left

Also Sonic

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Would anyone mind of Toon Link was cut and replaced with Tingle.

Ike cut in place of an FE 13 lord (sorry Roy).

And most already expect Lucario to be cut in favor of Zoroark/Victini.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Would rather have Tingle than a cartoony Link clone

Besides, I want to see an S-Tier Tingle.

Hilarious

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Why would ROB leave? He's awsome.
The only "reasoning" I can come up with is that maybe they're looking at characters who would be cut as a last ditch effort to add newcomers? I mean, it's freakin' R.O.B. He's the better version of G&W. (After 10 years, I still don't like G&W that much)

Would anyone mind of Toon Link was cut and replaced with Tingle.
I wouldn't mind, because I know Toon Link and Young Link will never be unique enough to please me.

Personally, if we had to make massive cuts, for whatever reason, I would use that exact list, minus R.O.B add PT so I can just bring him back as a different Trainer. I don't know how many characters will be cut, but I'm willing to bet this much:

There will be cuts, and there won't be as many as that list contains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom