• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
After all, you don't pick up Smash brothers title for its story mode right? Traveling to each characters stage should be the standard (Like you mentioned Iblis)

Anything after that is extra.

Oh yeah 4 player Adventure would be nice, and wifi compatible.
Oh snaps, I totally missed this. Alright Return to Dreamland, Work it out!

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
I would add much more ideas on single-player and Vs. mode stages that I've cooked up over time (I used to design complete stages much like Star even), but with school and chores here, I can't do much.
Were U @?

Yes, the story should express how the game became the chaotic fighting game it was built up to be.
Sounds like a prequel, I like it...just don't let it become another SF4.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Since I have to wake up early tomorrow these are my quick thoughts on Story mode:

It should play out based on stages inspired by Nintendo franchises similar to some of Melee's adventure stages but it should be expanded like how Brawl did SSE.

Much of Smash's gameplay is inspired by Kirby games so having each stage be different in gameplay would drastically change the basics of Smash; but a good alternative would be to have various gimicks inspired based on the stage/game of origin.

Ex. Mario - Rescue Peach by moving through 4 lvls of basic Mario Platforming
Zelda - Move around a dungeon Zelda 2 style
FE - Defeat all enemies in the stage
Pokemon - Defeat wild Pokemon and catch them with Trophy Stands
Etc.

As for a story it would be nice to have interlinking game inspired stories that somehow combine at the end, but all I'm expecting is something along the lines of "SSE2: The Revenge of Subspace".

vicgur

Smash Ace
Well, I'd like to see some kind of "Legion of Doom" trying to conquer the Universes.
I know it sounds cliche, but if they play the card right it could turn into something really awesome.
I can imagine Bowser, Ganondorf, Mother Brain[with Ridley by her side], Porky, K. Rool, Andross[with Wolf], the boss of a possible evil team from Pokémon, Medusa, Ashnard[Fire Emblem] etc. sitting together and plotting.
They'd send their minions and bosses to fight the heroes, but failing until they run out of staff and go fight by themselves.

Maybe even Tabuu[2.0] could appear in the end as the master mind behind everything. IDK

I know it sounds like the plot of SE, but the "Legion" in Brawl wasn't really a BIG conspiracy like I thought it would be. It was 4 guys taking orders from a giant puppet hand...

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
I say that stages should be developed around the story mode.

Q:Why does a stadium based stage represent Pokemon?

A: In the Pokemon series, a Trainer would take his Pokemon to the local Gymnasium and challenge the leader of the Gym.

Have the stadium local to the Trainer's run through.

In the Manga, Red (the series protagonist) challenged Giovanni (Team Rocket's Leader) to a battle on his Airship. Turns out Giovanni had his Airship rigged to support a standard battle platform.

Well, I'd like to see some kind of "Legion of Doom" trying to conquer the Universes.
This developed through the mixing of the universes and not outright

Would be WAY too cliche.

I liked the idea of Ridley being somewhat of a Mercenary, pledging his allegiance to Ganon with alternative motives in mind.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
Spend less time on the CGI flare and more time promoting plot development
Agreed, although CGI flare is what produces the fan excitement that we expect from a Brawl-styled Adventure Mode.

Kirby's path should feel like Kirby's path. Mario's path should play like mario's titles.

Why not have in this fashion: You don't intermingle the characters storylines until AFTER they've made their run through.

The story is as complete as it gets for said character, but the OVERALL story branches after you've tried all the characters.

It gives insight on perspectives.
I've also suggested this idea before. It would really help improve replayability, plot development, player's choice... heck, it would improve many things about Adventure Mode.

:laugh:

I indeed used to have full stage concepts. They included music selections, outlined stage hazards, unique gimmicks, etc. I even made crude but effective Microsoft Paint images of each stage layout to give not only an idea of how the stage i arranged, but a basic idea of what it would actually look like.

Unfortunately, I trashed all of those stages and other ideas I had for Adventure mode years ago. :(

Sadly, I must leave for my bed. See you guys this weekend.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Good question. If she could, say, cancel or combo into it, it would be potentially good, but I think being able to put opponent's to sleep in the air is OP as it'd be a crazy good edgeguarding move.
Nummy. I just want to be able to use the freaking move. Would making the effects reach further, and last longer help any? If they didn't want sing to work in the air? It would be a good move to trap opponents with if they slipped up. Or, what if she could cancel out of sing?

Because of BlazBlue's depthy tutorial, I now know what cancel means. I freaking love that game. Every character is so delicious.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I really think Adventure mode should follow Melee's style of going to character's levels but should have more a brawl depth.

Oh yeah 4 player Adventure would be nice, and wifi compatible.
Oh yes, imagine if Adventure Mode actually had better co-op modes and it was Wi-Fi compatible with NO LAG?! That would be so interesting not to mention fun playing with your friends online, but yeah a better Adventure plot like Melee's with Brawl longetivity would just be epic, it needs to happen, unique Nintendo environments along with some iconic generic enemies and bosses would make a good expansive Adventure Mode for sure.

:phone:

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
I agree on the four player adventure mode, that would be awesome. Anyway I'm getting ready for school I'll see you guys around 12 since it's early dismissal.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I actually did notice that when you brought it up as you are right, it keeps him somewhat relevant. However, I think the fact that Meowth was on a Pokemon Center logo since 1998 made it kind of unnoticeable.
Okay, I can understand that. But here's the thing, they replaced Squirtle with Tepig. Meowth stayed even though he's not important in the games but he is still relevant in the anime. Squirtle is important in the games but not relevant in the anime but Tepig is.

People say they don't want anime stuff in Smash so they don't support Meowth and yet they want Jigglypuff to have a move where she draws on people's faces?

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Meowth would be a great choice, but considering his chances up agaisnt Mewtwo or Lucario are pretty narrowed down since Mewtwo does hold alot of popularity at the moment according to ChronoBound.

Wooo!! Dragon Quest X hype!!!!

vicgur

Smash Ace
This developed through the mixing of the universes and not outright

Would be WAY too cliche.
I didn't say it wouldn't be a cliche. Yes, it's a big, GIANT cliche.
But some cliches are overused[and turned into cliches] because they are nice, most of the times.
Legion of Doom, the Masters od Evil, the Sinister Six...
Personally, I like when villains join forces for a bigger deal.

*AND* villains and heroes joining forces against the stronger enemy in common is a lot "cliche-er".

ManicRaider

Smash Cadet
Meowth would be a great choice, but considering his chances up agaisnt Mewtwo or Lucario are pretty narrowed down since Mewtwo does hold alot of popularity at the moment according to ChronoBound.

Wooo!! Dragon Quest X hype!!!!

I think the more recognized character should get a spot. Sure Mewtwo is more popular amongst the fans but what about outside that range? Like the casual gamers and fans who stopped watching around the 2nd and 3rd generation. Seeing Meowth could be lots of fun for everyone involved. Plus who hasn't wanted to see a Pikachu and Meowth showdown in SSB form? I know I have.

y.toonlink

Smash Ace
Kirby's path should feel like Kirby's path. Mario's path should play like mario's titles.

Why not have in this fashion: You don't intermingle the characters storylines until AFTER they've made their run through.
The story is as complete as it gets for said character, but the OVERALL story branches after you've tried all the characters.

It gives insight on perspectives.
Thats the best suggestion Ive heard so far. Probably not the first time Ive heard it but still. A mix of that with cameos like Melee had and a lengthy storyline like Brawl would make the perfect Adv mode. Kept separate of course from a "SSE2" that might happen, which wouldnt be too bad if Sakurai added more original bosses.

I can see that "Legion of Doom" thing happening, its not a bad idea. Itd be fun to see an Event Match 51 again especially if Mewtwo returns (lol see what i did thar). Maybe towards the end they turn on each other and you have to choose which one you wanna play leading to a different cutscene depending on who you won with.
Which brings another idea: what if there were cutscenes that changed depending on the outcome of a fight? It may or may not effect the story.

D

Deleted member

Who here would support Mach Rider if the rumor is true?

@Arcadenik: I thought Squirtle was pretty important to the anime back in the first and second season. Also, I don't understand why they would do what they did in the last sentence, but I haven't seen that before.

y.toonlink

Smash Ace
I saw that Mach Rider would play a bit like Ghost Rider. He wouldnt really have a chain right?

Also I remember seeing talk about Shulk and I realized who he was when I saw my friend playing Xenoblade xD

If Meowth shows up Id like to see him as a Pokeball instead, which I wonder which Pokemon would make the cut since there are so many to choose from now. Id like to keep playable spots open to Lucario, Mewtwo and Victini/Zoroark/some other BW worthy (and maybe Deoxys :awesome: ). Pokeballs are enough to rep Pokemon

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Who here would support Mach Rider if the rumor is true?

@Arcadenik: I thought Squirtle was pretty important to the anime back in the first and second season. Also, I don't understand why they would do what they did in the last sentence, but I haven't seen that before.
I would. I really could see him becoming a mixture between Ghost Rider and Captain Falcon. Depending upon how he is reimagined I would down for Mach Rider.

See this is why character speculation is so much fun. Just when you we have it all figured out, BAM a new Mach Rider game is rumored to be released and changes all of our speculation.

Here is some new info, BTW.

-Title is Mach Rider Unchained. Its "logo" is a throwback to the original Mach Rider's logo with the same wing-like structures on the sides, but they are metallic now. Unchained is written in a chrome color with a green tint on the top right side.

-The rider has had his design overhauled. Navy blue leather jacket with metallic spiked shoulderpads. His boots, gloves and belt are like tanned leather, almost like you would see on a cowboy or something. He still has the same helmet though. His motorcycle has also been slightly redesigned with a large cannon between the gatling guns and two red lights near the handlebars. As for the other riders, iv seen generic "biker gang members" and some robotic riders.

-As i said earlier, it makes excellent use of the 3D effects. As you turn the motorcycle the screen pans along-side it giving it a realistic feel to it. From what iv seen, the camera angles during the on-foot segments pans and zooms giving it a epic and theatrical feel, like the climax of a movie. This may just be a way of showcasing things though. I have to admit, its pretty cheesy.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
May I talk about Adventure Mode?

In my humble opinion, the WORST thing in Brawl's SE is: It's too "Kirby". If you played a Kirby game before, you can totally see. It's not just similar, it's "Kirby with Smash Fighters". I didn't like this concept.

I mean, I love Kirby. But if I want to play Kirby, I PLAY KIRBY DOGGAMMIT!!
I don't want to play Kirby in my Smash Bros.
Sakurai made Kirby, so it's pretty much typical that he'd make the Subspace Emissary be heavily based on the Kirby titles.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I think people might want to take a look at Sakurai's tweet regarding Dragon Quest X again. No, not for the reason you think...

"After hearing that it's online, the number of people who say the classic style Dragon Quest would be better is probably not low. However, in a game industry where evolution and sudden changes are tolerated, even considered expected, just treading the same path would be be troubling. It's being made by people who've made sound titles in the past, so I'm greatly looking forward to it."
It seems like he is all for shaking a series up a bit. Do you think he will take the same approach with Super Smash Bros. 4? I cannot exactly see how he could change it to the degree of Dragon Quest X, but he has expressed an interest in "doing something different". Would that mean more attacks or possibly integrating other gameplay mechanics? Hmmm....

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Those are awfully specific details for a rumor, lol.

Also I think I'll repeat this:

"What if Mach Rider had some QUIRK, where he could potentially run as fast (or faster) than Sonic, but his dash needs time to ACCELERATE? Of course, even when not fully accelerated he'd be nearly as fast as the Falcon. (Oh man if there was an engine revving noise to go along with that it would be PERFECT)

Also maybe they should go all-out with that explode-and-de-materialize thing. Like Captain Falcon but with explosions ALL THE TIME. Like for an F-Smash, you'd explode, cover some ground like Wolf, and re-materialize an elbow in some punk's face."

Hmmm... Gatling guns on his bike, yeah? Imagine either his Special or A-Combo being a "Gatling Punch." As a special, it'd be like the Falcon Punch only it's a multi-hit move I suppose. Y'know, just a bunch of detached fists materializing with explosions trailing after them. ...I'm already liking the idea of him, actually. IF SAKURAI DOES IT RIGHT.

You going to do a stage concept for him, Star? :p

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Those are awfully specific details for a rumor, lol.

Also I think I'll repeat this:

"What if Mach Rider had some QUIRK, where he could potentially run as fast (or faster) than Sonic, but his dash needs time to ACCELERATE? Of course, even when not fully accelerated he'd be nearly as fast as the Falcon. (Oh man if there was an engine revving noise to go along with that it would be PERFECT)

Also maybe they should go all-out with that explode-and-de-materialize thing. Like Captain Falcon but with explosions ALL THE TIME. Like for an F-Smash, you'd explode, cover some ground like Wolf, and re-materialize an elbow in some punk's face."

Hmmm... Gatling guns on his bike, yeah? Imagine either his Special or A-Combo being a "Gatling Punch." As a special, it'd be like the Falcon Punch only it's a multi-hit move I suppose. Y'know, just a bunch of detached fists materializing with explosions trailing after them. ...I'm already liking the idea of him, actually. IF SAKURAI DOES IT RIGHT.
My thoughts exatly Oasis. The last time I saw a rumor this specific was for the then rumored unveiling of Zelda Wii, and the person was telling us the name would be "Skyward Sword". Guess what, it turned out to be correct.

Exploding and de-materialization would be weird and awesome. SAkurai is going to do it right, he loves this character apparently so he'll probably be top tier. lol

Yes I will do the stage for him Oasis, as well as the one for Luigi's Mansion 2, Skyward Sword, and Kirby Return's To Dreamland. I'm about to revise my Dragon Quest stage concept anyways.

vicgur

Smash Ace
Sakurai made Kirby, so it's pretty much typical that he'd make the Subspace Emissary be heavily based on the Kirby titles.

Sorry, but that's not true.
Yes, he made Kirby. But Smash is whole other game.
If Kirby's formula worked before, it's no reason to keep recycling the gameplay over and over in his other games. If that was the case, we'd see Link jumping on his enemies in Zelda, because Mario's gameplay was like this[exageration intended]
The Fighters do NOT play like Kirby.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Hmm, I just got back from my 1st class today. Wow, I didn't know a new Mach Rider game was rumored, if so then awesome. The original, I suck at it, but I think a remake/reboot should do him some needed justice.

And if the rumor is true, then he may just exceed Takamaru as lead retro character due to Sakurai's bias. Although, I think I would he make a better AT, I'd like to see a moveset.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Nummy. I just want to be able to use the freaking move. Would making the effects reach further, and last longer help any? If they didn't want sing to work in the air? It would be a good move to trap opponents with if they slipped up. Or, what if she could cancel out of sing?

Because of BlazBlue's depthy tutorial, I now know what cancel means. I freaking love that game. Every character is so delicious.
I'm glad you love BlazBlue. That game really needs more love. I just wish that the game and other fighters like Virtua Fighter and King of Fighters were better promoted like the Capcom and Namco fighters.

And canceling out of sing would actually be pretty cool. The move is unsafe enough as is so maybe.

And have you come to love canceling like I have? Makes the game move so much faster.
Like vicgur said, that's not a valid excuse. Sakurai should have enough creativity in his head to think outside of the Kirby design. I can understand Smash's basic platform fighter design being based off of Kirby as the Kirby design is very free in terms of movement, but it wouldn't hurt if the levels were way less linear.

In terms of level layout, I think the Great Maze was a good design save for the fact that it was a combination of all the other levels. Make it more Metroidvania and you got yourself a cool Adventure Mode. At least then, you have a less linear playthrough as it's not getting from point A to point B as it is finding stuff wherever to get to the next part of the game.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Now by all of the seen Mach Rider speculation, does this mean Takamaru might lose his chances on Mach Rider now? (-l,l-)
Maybe, it's only a rumor. Either way, he does have a good chance if true due to Sakurai's bias towards him. Although at the moment, Takamaru is still in the lead due to his remake and fan popularity over in Japan and maybe even over here.

My guess though is that Mach Rider may end up as an AT, personally since while a moveset is possible like aways, it would fit him better until his game takes off. Plus we do need some replacement ATs, since chances are many will finally become playable.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Sakurai apparently likes both Mach Rider and Takamaru, right? He finally has an excuse to include them both, so I wouldn't think they're competing against each other... Mach Rider wouldn't technically be a "retro character" anymore if the rumors are true anyhow, lol.

Little Mac, Mach Rider, Takamaru... I like the sound of that.

(Mach Rider's red palette swap will totally be a white and red combo to resemble the Excite Biker. :awesome:)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Hm... If I were to limit the number of newcomers by 10 (excluding returns like Mewtwo and Roy and 3rd Parties):

Toad
Krystal
Ridley
Tom Nook (If Phoenix Wright can happen, so can he).
Capt. Syrup
Isaac
Saki
Little Mac
Mach Rider
Takamaru

I can say I'd be good with this list of newcomers as it has characters each from a different series.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Hmm, I just got back from my 1st class today. Wow, I didn't know a new Mach Rider game was rumored, if so then awesome. The original, I suck at it, but I think a remake/reboot should do him some needed justice.

And if the rumor is true, then he may just exceed Takamaru as lead retro character due to Sakurai's bias. Although, I think I would he make a better AT, I'd like to see a moveset.
I'm actually excited to see if this is true. I want to see how Nintendo re-imagines him.

I think Dragon Quest and Mach Rider are two series that have the potential to have increased in potential to show up in Smash Bros. Due to the

Like vicgur said, that's not a valid excuse. Sakurai should have enough creativity in his head to think outside of the Kirby design. I can understand Smash's basic platform fighter design being based off of Kirby as the Kirby design is very free in terms of movement, but it wouldn't hurt if the levels were way less linear.
Obviously had enough for Kid Icarus...

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well I'm off, anyway it's nice to see Mach Rider back again. Now if only we could get a needed Ice Climber remake for the 3DS. :p

At this point, I bet once we see a trailer for his game we may all turn against Takamaru. :laugh:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
It seems like he is all for shaking a series up a bit. Do you think he will take the same approach with Super Smash Bros. 4? I cannot exactly see how he could change it to the degree of Dragon Quest X, but he has expressed an interest in "doing something different". Would that mean more attacks or possibly integrating other gameplay mechanics? Hmmm....
Yeah, that's something I'm worried about. The reason I love Smash is for the VS Mode. Even with the Subspace Emmisary, Brawl still had an awesome multiplayer with more characters, stages and that solid Smash gameplay. What is worrying is Sakurai will turn Smash into something that isn't Smash. Seems possible with all this talk about two version and customization. Really, I want a fun Smash Brothers game is all. Call me a worry wart, but this wouldn't be the first time a company ruined one of their great games.

Malstrom also blows Sakurai's idea out of the water.

I'm glad you love BlazBlue. That game really needs more love. I just wish that the game and other fighters like Virtua Fighter and King of Fighters were better promoted like the Capcom and Namco fighters.
Cappcom and Namco promote them more because they have the money and resources and those games bring in enough money and resources (at least Street Fighter does. The Vs series doesn't). Sega knows Virtual Fighter is not going to make them much and the guys who make Guilty Gear don't have the resources to promote their games (perhaps because Guilty Gear and BlazBlue don't do that well).

And canceling out of sing would actually be pretty cool. The move is unsafe enough as is so maybe.

And have you come to love canceling like I have? Makes the game move so much faster.
Seems kind of broken to cancel a move which sole purpose is to stop a player.

Canceling in any game is just bad and it's worse in Smash. No reason to make a system which break itself with silly cancels and just drives out all the lower players.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I have a real issue with Maelstrom's article. Considering he trashed Dragon Quest's inability to innovate only to turn around and chastise Sakurai for commenting that change is good every now and then. Sounds like a bunch of bloviating in my opinion.

Otherwise I agree with you on not wanting to much of a change in formula. Just refine the essential elements while adding new components.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Oh yes I'm a mad man for thinking anything of the sort Star.

Mach Rider

I feel like that leak has somehow completed the hat trick. That newcomer expectation list seems pretty legit.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Oh yes I'm a mad man for thinking anything of the sort Star.

Mach Rider

I feel like that leak has somehow completed the hat trick. That newcomer expectation list seems pretty legit.
Mad? Wha? O_o

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
LOL, Lets mix up the Dragon Quest

Which characters have good standing about Nintendo?

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Alright I'm back first day was decent, what are you guys currently discussing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom