• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Because casual players would eat up Deoxys just like they will eat up Zoroark or Victini.

Kantrip

Kantplay
But what about dedicated smash fans? Dedicated Pokemon fans? The more people catered to, the better. If the casual gamers are happy regardless, but a very small portion of people would prefer the more popular Pokemon (due to the fact that they are hardcore fans), what is the positive of shutting out these hardcore fans in order to gain... nothing?

Nobody's protesting that Legend of Zelda doesn't get every different model of Link as he's changed throughout his games. The 3rd generation of Pokemon can easily be represented some other way. A playable character is not necessary, if none are a higher priority than the other candidates.

If Deoxys had instead come from Gen 5, would you still be pushing for him?

dins.fire

Smash Rookie
Well i think i'm probably alone in this statement, but here goes...
1.PIKACHU
2.JIGGLYPUFF
3.MEWTWO
4.Pokemon Trainer
5.PLUSLE & MINUN
6.LUCARIO
7.ZOROARK
No, I am not insane, and am totally aware that plusle and minun have absolutly no chance at getting in but I still think that they would make for an interesting character. :)

Kantrip

Kantplay
Nothing wrong with any of those choices, but seven slots is too many unless we see a HUGE jump in roster size, which is not going to happen. Six is the maximum slots that I see Pokemon feasibly getting.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Plusle & Minun would indeed make an interesting duo, glad you recognized there chances but I wouldn't go as far as to say "have absolutly no chance" when in fact any Pokemon can be up for consideration, like I've mentioned before if the fans demand it and Sakurai shows interest then it's likely to at least get considered.

:phone:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
But what about dedicated smash fans? Dedicated Pokemon fans? The more people catered to, the better. If the casual gamers are happy regardless, but a very small portion of people would prefer the more popular Pokemon (due to the fact that they are hardcore fans), what is the positive of shutting out these hardcore fans in order to gain... nothing?
Dedicated Pokemon fans would like playing as a third generation Pokemon. You're acting like I want this:

Pikachu
Pichu
Deoxys
Lucario
Victini

Which is just not true.

Keep Jiggly, add Mewtwo, and Zoroark, but don't forget that the second, third, and forth generation has brought a lot to the series, most casual players won't recognize this, and don't care.

Nobody's protesting that Legend of Zelda doesn't get every different model of Link as he's changed throughout his games. The 3rd generation of Pokemon can easily be represented some other way. A playable character is not necessary, if none are a higher priority than the other candidates.
I'm not saying anything like that. I'm saying the "latest and greatest" rule that Pokemon is being picked by is a poor choice.

If Deoxys had instead come from Gen 5, would you still be pushing for him?
No, I would be pushing for the next best choice from the third generation.

Kantrip

Kantplay
So would you be fine if they took away Lucario and didn't add any 5th gens? Instead they add Meowth and give back Mewtwo? That way 3rd gen isn't the only one left out.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
So would you be fine if they took away Lucario and didn't add any 5th gens? Instead they add Meowth and give back Mewtwo? That way 3rd gen isn't the only one left out.
I will be fine with whatever they do. I'm saying, Generation 1, and Generation 5, aren;t the only characters we should consider. Yet that's ALL anyone does consider.

In conclusion I think characters have always, and will always be picked for more than just "They're Popular". People will continue to ignore any Pokemon Generation that isn't the latest, or the first. Despite every generation being immensely popular.

I will (almost) always vouch for other generations to be represented. The only exception is Lucario, because I don't like him. But if he stayed, I would understand why.

OmegaXXII

The problem with the 3rd gen is that it's caught in the middle, therefore seems to blind the community as well, I understand your reasoning but you also have to consider what's most wanted, if a 3rd gen rep is wanted then a 3rd gen Pokemon will most likely happen, I know popularity isn't everything but you also have to consider what is requested as well during a said period.

Steam

Smash Hero
yeah it'll be hard for a 2nd or 3rd gen to get in because there wasn't really any standout pokemon from them other than deoxys which kinda stood out... kinda... and both gens are pretty old by now. Gen 1 is gen 1. Gen 4 they hyped lucario. gen 5 they're hyping zoroark and it's the latest gen.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
The problem with the 3rd gen is that it's caught in the middle, therefore seems to blind the community as well, I understand your reasoning but you also have to consider what's most wanted, if a 3rd gen rep is wanted then a 3rd gen Pokemon will most likely happen, I know popularity isn't everything but you also have to consider what is requested as well during a said period.
Of course I already know this. I'm just saying, what I've all already said. The community is clearly blind to everything third generation. That's why I look bat**** crazy. Well, that and I think that popularity isn't everything. *gasps*
I mean, remember who was president before Obama?

Gen 4 they hyped lucario
Oh no silly cat. You and I are fighting the same fight now ;) Our generations are no longer on top (mine never got to be), so it looks like we buddies.

Steam

Smash Hero
if 3rd gen couldn't make it in before, they won't make it in on their own now that there's even more new pokemon in front of them. only chance they've got is if they do remakes... if they do then some gen 3 has a shot. maybe gen 3 poketrainer because the mudkip/grovyle/Blaziken combo are all really popular pokes... mudkip for meme status, grovyle for mystery dungeon, blaziken because people like chicken version of captain falcon.

If Lucario stays in it'll be on pure popularity or maybe because they like his uniqueness/ don't want to cut his moveset.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
let's avoid this conversation. you really don't like him, I support him so arguing about it is dumb.
Psh. I wouldn't argue that.

I'm just saying, you can downplay the third series alllll you want. But don't try to play up Lucario in the same post.

OmegaXXII

Of course I already know this. I'm just saying, what I've all already said. The community is clearly blind to everything third generation. That's why I look bat**** crazy. Well, that and I think that popularity isn't everything.
Well that's why you have to push for Project Hoenn, if you want supporters to stand by what you preach then by all means gather supporters and do a petition, maybe Nintendo doesn't recognize it as well, at least when it come to playable characters.

Since were on the subject of Pokemon, who would you consider as a rep from those franchises? Are they wanted??

Steam

Smash Hero
Psh. I wouldn't argue that.

I'm just saying, you can downplay the third series alllll you want. But don't try to play up Lucario in the same post.
problem with third gen is that they didn't have a pokemon they grabbed, held up in the sky and declared "THIS IS THE MASCOT OF THIS GEN. LIKE THIS". if you want to include the third gen there could be quite a debate over what would get in... not one big icon. gen 4 rep is a no brainer. plus it's still newer and lucario hasn't just been dropped. same with mudkipz and such. though the starters from hoenn are each very well known in their own right.

I'm just saying the only thing I think will give any gen 3 a push that gets them in would be a gen 3 remake. they're on the outside looking in so they need something that will have improved their chances from brawl. gen 3 remake is what I can really see that does this.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Since were on the subject of Pokemon, who would you consider as a rep from those franchises? Are they wanted??
Project Hoenn was a terrible idea. No one likes being converted. It was stupid to even try that.

As for this question, I'm not sure what you're asking.

I'm just saying the only thing I think will give any gen 3 a push that gets them in would be a gen 3 remake. they're on the outside looking in so they need something that will have improved their chances from brawl. gen 3 remake is what I can really see that does this.
I'm willing to bet we'll see one in a year or two. That's only a matter of time. If you look at the conditions G/S were under, R/S are under them as we speak.

Also, I would like to point out, Lucario is two game titles behind the latest generation. That's further behind than Deoxys was during Brawl. I agree that they should have marketed the game like they did with Lucario, but Deoxys/Gardevior/plusle and minun/starters are still pretty popular, like you said.

Steam

Smash Hero
Project Hoenn was a terrible idea. No one likes being converted. It was stupid to even try that.

As for this question, I'm not sure what you're asking.

I'm willing to bet we'll see one in a year or two. That's only a matter of time. If you look at the conditions G/S were under, R/S are under them as we speak.

Also, I would like to point out, Lucario is two game titles behind the latest generation. That's further behind than Deoxys was during Brawl. I agree that they should have marketed the game like they did with Lucario, but Deoxys/Gardevior/plusle and minun/starters are still pretty popular, like you said.
Lucario's only a gen behind like gen 3 was 0_o

Brawl was gen 4

SSB4 will be gen 5... probably

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I traded online, for one that's most likely hacked.
It was hard for even a nerd like me to remember to download all the dogs. I miss out on Raikou. -.- The worst dog out of the bunch.

Technically yes, but Heart Gold and Soul Silver don't offer Lucario. Neither do Black or White.

Steam

Smash Hero
It was hard for even a nerd like me to remember to download all the dogs. I miss out on Raikou. -.- The worst dog out of the bunch.

Technically yes, but Heart Gold and Soul Silver don't offer Lucario. Neither do Black or White.
you find riolu in challenger's cave (whatever that cave is that's west of the 8th gym town)

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
you find riolu in challenger's cave (whatever that cave is that's west of the 8th gym town)
You know what I mean though. >.>

I also did NOT know that. But that's probably because I beat Heart Gold as quickly as possible. It bored me to tears.

OmegaXXII

Brawl was gen 4

SSB4 will be gen 5... probably
There will be 5th gen representation, just look at Zoroark and Victini.

As for 3rd generation reps, the way I see it is the only way that we'll likely see a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gen represented is if Pokemon Trainer gets replaced by a newer trainer which is possible if we got N, but other than that I really can't see a solo character from those gens making it at all. (Lucario is excluded)

Take a look:

•Pikachu
•Jigglypuff
•Victini/Zoroark
•Pokemon Trainer*
•Lucario/Mewtwo/Meowth?

*Basically if Pokemon Trainer does indeed get replaced by another gen. trainer then I can see it happening with starters like Treecko for example, otherwise I don't see another spot that probably should be taken, of course this is not to say that Sakurai won't at least consider expanding the franchise to 6 reps. but I'm pretty much am doubting that to happen.

Again since Mewtwo or Lucario are bound to happen then that already takes a roster spot, other than that we probably won't be seeing a solo rep from the older franchises, if anything it will most likely pertain to the 5th generation if Sakurai wants another rep.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Glad to see this thread is back on track.

Well, I think it'll be like this:
• Pikachu
• Jigglypuff
• Mewtwo
• Lucario
• Zoroark/Victini
• Pokémon Trainer

Pokémon Trainer might have different Pokémon to compensate the new generation and because it's the simple fact it's a new game. Lucario might not be in SSB4 and might be replaced with a 5th generation Pokémon, Zoroark (most likely) or Victini. And to be honest I'm fine with that. I never liked him. As long as Mewtwo returns I'm happy.

Besides, I think there's a pattern going on with these specific Pokémon (someone also pointed it out.) They all have the basic same body structure. That's why I think Zoroark will be included and because he has a lot of requests.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Now that I think about it, why is zoroark so hyped? Because he was revealed first? Donphan, bonsly, munchlax and others say hi. He got a movie? Entei, celebi, zekrom, reshiram, victini, mewtwo... the list goes on and on.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Now that I think about it, why is zoroark so hyped? Because he was revealed first? Donphan, bonsly, munchlax and others say hi. He got a movie? Entei, celebi, zekrom, reshiram, victini, mewtwo... the list goes on and on.
1. It's a fifth generation Pokémon, so automatically gets more attention.
2. There's already 2 first generation Pokémon (Pikachu and Jigglypuff), with another having a 99% chance of returning because of huge popularity (Mewtwo).
3. It's popular in Japan along with many other areas.
4. It shares similar body construction with Lucario.
5. The Pokémon you mentioned don't have a chance at all. All (except Victini and Mewtwo) will be in a Poké Ball.
6. Victini has less than half the popularity than Zoroark from the 3 posts the Japanese want. Victini wasn't even mentioned thrice.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Umm. First off, I know the others I listed have no chance. That was my point. Zoroark does not fit any magical criteria not easily met by dozens of other pokemon.

Mewtwo does NOT have anywhere near 99% chance of returning.

Victini has more of a chance than zoroark at this point. Apparently he's even the favourite pokemon of... Someone important I forget. SSBF said it earlier.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Okay what "criteria" does zoroark meet that victini doesn't?

And mewtwo has been planned for all games. He's made one. 1/3 is 33.33%. Doesn't look like 99 to me.

If Lucario mewtwo and zoroark have this alleged same body type, why include more than one of them? Because their movesets are different. When fanboys start using "body type" as a criterion for inclusion, I worry.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
I'm not a fanboy. In fact, I never even played Pokemon.
And how does the 1/3 math thing work for SSB4?

Kantrip

Kantplay
Sorry, I only assumed since you were saying stuff like you knew a lot about the pokemon franchise.

Sure, mewtwo might be planned for ssb4. Looking at his track record, though, he seems to have low priority as he's always one of the victims of time constraints or roster problems. His chances are like 50% at best. If you think he has almost an 100% of undoubtable not-a-shred-of-fear chance of appearing, up there with mario, link, pikachu, and kirby, that's great. Some of us are a little more realistic with our expectations.

Anyways, since you ignored the part about zoroark, do you have anything further to say on that matter or do you agree that victini has the same or more things going for him than zoro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom