• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'd say Palutena was like the peach of that series, but she's more like his mother that he's in love with

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
If Magnus is not an important character, then the Kid Icarus newcomer will most likely be Medusa (or possibly Palutena). I could see Palutena possibly being part of a codec like system for Pit (like Snake) where she gives advice about the people he is fighting.

As to Starphoenix's suggestion about the roster only having 47 (or 48 slots including the random icon), such a set up could allow Pokemon to get away with six slots....
Rat's, I did forget about the random icon. People seem to think I'm crazy for suggesting it, but really why not? People don't want Lucario cut, people want Mewtwo back, and it is inevitable we are going to get a recent character. Of whom I believe will be Either Victini or N w/ Zoroark. Then everyone is happy and Sakurai is allowed to pad the roster.

I've stated this before but I don't think anybody really listened to it. Mewtwo has been planned for every iteration of Smash Bros, yet was only playable in one. Which tells me Sakurai's intention has been for him to be a staple. For whatever reason that one character just seems to be the victim of the most misfortune.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I'd say Palutena was like the peach of that series, but she's more like his mother that he's in love with
Yea, Palutena seems like she would help and support Pit, this is why I'd like to see Medusa since her purpose is more likely to take down Pit, it would at least make an interesting storyline if it was shown in adventure mode.

:phone:

D

Deleted member

Oasis_S said:
...It's really hard for me to see where you're coming from on this. Universal rosters are typically considered a GOOD thing. Especially now that handhelds are capable of handling it! And it's freaking Smash! DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT SALES.

The original eight starters, and that's being a bit generous, are the only characters that could even make sales in the first place (not including third-party characters).
I don't think many people want a next-gen console to be compared to a handheld that is more powerful then the Wii but is misinterpreted to be around Gamecube strength.
Starphoenix said:
Rat's, I did forget about the random icon. People seem to think I'm crazy for suggesting it, but really why not? People don't want Lucario cut, people want Mewtwo back, and it is inevitable we are going to get a recent character. Of whom I believe will be Either Victini or N w/ Zoroark. Then everyone is happy and Sakurai is allowed to pad the roster.

I've stated this before but I don't think anybody really listened to it. Mewtwo has been planned for every iteration of Smash Bros, yet was only playable in one. Which tells me Sakurai's intention has been for him to be a staple. For whatever reason that one character just seems to be the victim of the most misfortune.
I actually love the idea of six Pokemon slots. It would keep fans happy and avoid a fall-out like Brawl caused with Mewtwo's removal.

You also have a good point with the last paragraph. With recent events showing that Mewtwo gets large demands worldwide, I'm starting to consider Mewtwo more likely to return then Lucario and it shows that Sakurai doesn't want Mewtwo out, he just didn't find a way to put Mewtwo in 64 or Brawl. If Mewtwo truly does return for SSB4 and there is six slots, I think he is staying for good.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
So in the same vein, wouldn't people WANT a handheld to be compared to a next-gen console? Wouldn't that be impressive? If they both have 50 characters, what's the problem. 3DS is without a doubt capable, and WiiU is so capable it's obnoxious.

There's like, no fuss.

And comparing them by the number of characters is silly to begin with.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't think many people want a next-gen console to be compared to a handheld that is more powerful then the Wii but is misinterpreted to be around Gamecube strength.
The number of characters on the roster isn't going to be limited by the strength of the wii-u, I assure you that

It's not about the handheld being comparable with the same amount of characters

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
When did we decide Pokemon Trainer is a Staple character? Does anyone else think he's up for at least a generation change?

The argument that it would be bad to compare the Wii U to the 3DS is pretty much the silliest thing I've ever heard.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
When did we decide Pokemon Trainer is a Staple character? Does anyone else think he's up for at least a generation change?

The argument that it would be bad to compare the Wii U to the 3DS is pretty much the silliest thing I've ever heard.
Red's been in more pokemon games than any other character

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
The Kanto starters are probably some of the most famous Pokemon ever, specifically Charizard. You could maybe switch the other two without much of a fuss...

FUSS.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The Kanto starters are probably some of the most famous Pokemon ever, specifically Charizard. You could maybe switch the other two without much of a fuss...

FUSS.
The squirtle line are my favorite pokemon in the series.

To be honest, I'd rather they replace charizard with Blastoise and Ivysaur with Wartortle

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Red's been in more pokemon games than any other character
I don't really see that as any sort of reason for keeping him around. I mean, Ethan has been in one less than him. Pokemon Trainers pretty much change like the seasons. I see no reason for smash to be immune to this idea. The only argument I can see is that Charizard is one of the most popular Pokemon ever . . .

D

Deleted member

So in the same vein, wouldn't people WANT a handheld to be compared to a next-gen console? Wouldn't that be impressive? If they both have 50 characters, what's the problem. 3DS is without a doubt capable, and WiiU is so capable it's obnoxious.

There's like, no fuss.

And comparing them by the number of characters is silly to begin with.
Yes but people are not going to see it as an impressive accomplishment, those uninformed about this idea will assume that it would have gotten more characters had they not decided to do this even though due to balancing issues that more may not be possible.

OmegaXXII

Just have Mewtwo within Giovanni in case things don't work out as being a solo character, just sayin' as a back-up plan.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't really see that as any sort of reason for keeping him around. I mean, Ethan has been in one less than him. Pokemon Trainers pretty much change like the seasons. I see no reason for smash to be immune to this idea. The only argument I can see is that Charizard is one of the most popular Pokemon ever . . .
Red:
Pokemon Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Pokemon Stadium 1, Pokemon Stadium 2, Gold, Silver, Fire Red, Leaf Green, Soul Silver, Heart Gold, Crystal

Gold:
Pokemon Silver, Gold, Pokemon Stadium 2, Soul Silver, Heart Gold, Crystal

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
If you just want to switch trainers, alternate color model swaps would work nicely. I still think Red should be the default though...

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Considering Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard are considered three of the most popular Pokémon in the entire series I don't think that is a very high probability. If at the very least I don't see Charizard going anywhere.

OmegaXXII

They should definetly get rid of Pokemon Trainers "stamina" trait, it's annoying when I just want to play with Squirtle. :-/

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Red:
Pokemon Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Pokemon Stadium 1, Pokemon Stadium 2, Gold, Silver, Fire Red, Leaf Green, Soul Silver, Heart Gold

Gold:
Pokemon Silver, Gold, Pokemon Stadium 2, Soul Silver, Heart Gold
I definitely was thinking soley the main series.

I see the Pokemon Trainer as nothing more than a vessel for Pokemon of different regions to finally get into Smash. You look at him as if he is added because he's the most popular, while I just see him as a phase (Like everything Pokemon related in Smash is).

The first generation doesn't need six out of seven Pokemon. Seriously. It's kind of rediculous for Smash to ignore every other generation.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Yes but people are not going to see it as an impressive accomplishment, those uninformed about this idea will assume that it would have gotten more characters had they not decided to do this even though due to balancing issues that more may not be possible.
Who are these people and why do I care. The sales aren't going to be effected by them. They're silly gooses to begin with anyhow.

The VAST MAJORITY of people who buy either version will think "Oh, a new Smash!"

Boom.

Sale.

I mean, we're the hardcore fans, and we know that's silly. The casual fans just aren't going to give a damn either way.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Red is more than a phase, he represents Pokemon alot and has always been iconic, he's the alter ego of Ash.
*rolls eyes* slow down turbo. I know he's popular and all. Just look:

Generation 1: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Charizard

Gen 2: Pichu

Gen 3: None

Gen 4: Lucario

It's not like the first generation is the only Popular generation. Ruby/Sapphire sold a hell of a lot of games as well. Pokemon is a collective game, based on many installments of new Pokemon, all of which are insanely popular.

It doesn't make sense to just have the first series because "It's the most popular and came first!"

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
*rolls eyes* slow down turbo. I know he's popular and all. Just look:

Generation 1: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Charizard

Gen 2: Pichu

Gen 3: None

Gen 4: Lucario

It's not like the first generation is the only Popular generation. Ruby/Sapphire sold a hell of a lot of games as well. Pokemon is a collective game, based on many series, all of which are insanely popular.

It doesn't make sense to just have the first series because "It's the most popular!"
Problem one, you see things in terms of representation. You forget, the Pokéballs are a form of representation too you know?

I never thought I'd find a series weirder than Warioware. After looking at Rythym Heaven Wii I think I take it back...

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Problem one, you see things in terms of representation. You forget, the Pokéballs are a form of representation too you know?
Over fifteen million copies of RSE bought is worthy of much much more than a Pokeball and a Boss.

How should I look at Pokemon?

Sorry for flamming, I just hate when the games are compared with the cartoon
I do too, but when it comes to Smash, the anime has a LOT to do with who gets in, unfortunetly.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Red is more than a phase, he represents Pokemon alot and has always been iconic, he's the alter ego of Ash.

I'm back for a Pokemon debate. :p

Also I find comparing Red to Ash an insult. Red is awesome and is the true main character of the Pokemon series, he also came 1st. Ash is a bad rip off and is only the face of the cartoon that has ruined the face of the Pokemon franchise. :mad:

Either way, Red should stay and if people don't like it just make the other trainers alternate costumes.

Sorry for flamming, I just hate when the games are compared with the cartoon. :(

D

Deleted member

Who are these people and why do I care. The sales aren't going to be effected by them. They're silly gooses to begin with anyhow.

The VAST MAJORITY of people who buy either version will think "Oh, a new Smash!"

Boom.

Sale.

I mean, we're the hardcore fans, and we know that's silly. The casual fans just aren't going to give a damn either way.
Yes I am talking about the core gamers, which make up more of the Smash community then they do for most Nintendo series. A major mistake could cost them dearly and unless they try to put in damage control to PROVE that universal roster will not limit what we get overall, it will probably cause a huge uproar in the community. Remember, the Nintendo fan base is very sensitive about stuff they don't like and fans who aren't fan boys don't let Nintendo get away with a mistake.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yes I am talking about the core gamers, which make up more of the Smash community then they do for most Nintendo series. A major mistake could cost them dearly and unless they try to put in damage control to PROVE that universal roster will not limit what we get overall, it will probably cause a huge uproar in the community. Remember, the Nintendo fan base is very sensitive about stuff they don't like and fans who aren't fan boys don't let Nintendo get away with a mistake.
Limiting one version (Unless you expect the wii-u version to have an insane amount of characters) even though it can hold them IS a mistake

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Over fifteen million copies of RSE bought is worthy of much much more than a Pokeball and a Boss.

How should I look at Pokemon?
Well for starters don't think that just because we don't have a second generation or third generation playable character that they are "under represented".

I do too, but when it comes to Smash, the anime has a LOT to do with who gets in, unfortunetly.
Sadly this is true...

OmegaXXII

I'm back for a Pokemon debate. :p

Also I find comparing Red to Ash an insult. Red is awesome and is the true main character of the Pokemon series, he also came 1st. Ash is a bad rip off and is only the face of the cartoon that has ruined the face of the Pokemon franchise. :mad:

Either way, Red should stay and if people don't like it just make the other trainers alternate costumes.

Sorry for flamming, I just hate when the games are compared with the cartoon. :(
Hey don't sweat it, I was actually defending Red and was trying to give him more crediability, didn't necessarly mean to compare those two.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Well for starters don't think that just because we don't have a second generation or third generation playable character that they are "under represented".

Sadly this is true...
I do, and I also think that the First Generation is by far "over represented". You can give me the whole speech on how it was the first series, it started it all and blah blah blah but I don't care. That doesn't mean other generations should be ignored. At least Pichu and Lucario had a shot. The third generation (One of the most groundbreaking generations in Pokemon) hasn't gotten squat.

I very much do consider them to be under represented.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Very sad indeed. Too bad the manga only gets involved with the costumes, as I would love to see Mewtwo back with his Spoon Sword. Plus unlike the cartoon, at least the manga references Smash. :p

Even Pokemon's creator, Satoshi Tajiri, prefers the manga over the anime.

Although, I don't quite hate the anime completely, it did give us good choices for Smash characters, except for PT as he's based off Red instead of Ash.

D

Deleted member

Limiting one version (Unless you expect the wii-u version to have an insane amount of characters) even though it can hold them IS a mistake
Limiting the 3DS version to a 30-40 character roster isn't going to upset many core/casual gamers when they can find other ways to market the game to them. They will accept a 45+ roster on the Wii-U a lot more if it isn't being compared to the 3DS version whereas having both at 45-50, while very solid, will have people wondering how many more characters would have been playable if there was no universal roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom