• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
It pretty much is, for the most part.

Still, before I begin talking about any RPG character this needs to happen first.
I remember seeing that game and being like "WHOS THAT WATER DROP!?"

Then I bought Sentinals.

Here's a good trailer of The Last Story. Basically, I'm excited now. Elza looks cool, and Kanan seems to be magical possibly? She does something with the stars at the end? Anyways, the game looks damn good, and I hope the rumors are true. It will be the next game I actually get really into that isn't SMRPG/Pokemon.

@Chrono Give me your two cents on Xenoblade and The Last Story.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I want to know when the next Dragon Quest is coming out. I heard it was being made for the wii, but the wii is almost dead, and I haven't heard anything about it's production.

I heard it's going to be like Dragon Quest 9, which makes me happy because I prefer the class system to characters with set classes. Being able to switch to customize and make them stronger to eventually giving them a true role fits well with me.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I primarily say that the roster won't be finalized until late 2012 because Sakurai himself said that development for Smash 4 will start slow. He said the first part of development would just be getting the basic engine made up for the Wii U and the 3DS. I think for this reason we may not even get a trailer for E3 2012 (though I suspect we might get something akin to the Melee 2001 trailer/intro in which there is hardly any gameplay, but we see characters instead and the only screenshots we get are screengrabs from the cgi trailer). I assume we will at least get something about Smash 4 at E3 2012 because Iwata will want to build hype for the Wii U.

Takamaru is definitely the most likely of the Japan-only retros. I think in terms of chances, it goes like this:
Takamaru>Lip>Sukapon

I also think Isa and Matthew will probably get the playable spots for their series over their fathers simply due to Sakurai wanting to pad out the newcomer roster with characters that were created during the interim between Brawl and Smash 4.

As for a female newcomer, it will most likely be Medusa or Palutena (with Lip being a possible darkhorse if Intelligent Systems is interested in making a new Panel de Pon with her as the main protagonist). However, there is the possibility that Sakurai might want to include Magnus as the second Kid Icarus character due to a lack "new characters" which he has been complaining about even since Brawl. However, he could also do the option of making three playable Kid Icarus characters, however, that might anger a lot of Smash fans and further cement the opinion that Sakurai is biased toward his own creations.
Magunus definetly has a chance, but again it all dependson Sakurai's bias towards the series itself, if anything we may not even get a Kid Icarus rep at all.

As for Lip, sure I see her coming, but like you mentioned only if we see Intelligent sys showing interest in reviving the game, but of course that won't necessarly stop Sakurai from getting a wanted character.

:phone:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I want to know when the next Dragon Quest is coming out. I heard it was being made for the wii, but the wii is almost dead, and I haven't heard anything about it's production.

I heard it's going to be like Dragon Quest 9, which makes me happy because I prefer the class system to characters with set classes. Being able to switch to customize and make them stronger to eventually giving them a true role fits well with me.
Supposedly next year sometime, there will be a trailer for Dragon Quest X this September.

Actually they said it will be more like VIII in the fact that it has more of a story, but they will utilize many of IX's features. Most of what you want you can do anyways, well, at least in several of them (III, VI, VII, and IX). I'm sure the class system is coming back. Either way, Nintendo will be publishing it overseas so I'm set.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Oh ****!!!!

HYPE!!!! I am so getting this on day one! :cool:

:phone:
It's a board game with Mario and Dragon Quest characters...

Hey, it should have Geno in it. The fact it doesn't is REALLY stupid

Supposedly next year sometime, there will be a trailer for Dragon Quest X this September.

Actually they said it will be more like VIII in the fact that it has more of a story, but they will utilize many of IX's features. Most of what you want you can do anyways, well, at least in several of them (III, VI, VII, and IX). I'm sure the class system is coming back. Either way, Nintendo will be publishing it overseas so I'm set.
Ah. that's good news. I haven't head news in a while so I may have been misinformed.

I was hoping for the return of the class system, but if no new news has come, and it's more like 8 (Which I did like as well) I can live with it.

D

Deleted member

I primarily say that the roster won't be finalized until late 2012 because Sakurai himself said that development for Smash 4 will start slow. He said the first part of development would just be getting the basic engine made up for the Wii U and the 3DS. I think for this reason we may not even get a trailer for E3 2012 (though I suspect we might get something akin to the Melee 2001 trailer/intro in which there is hardly any gameplay, but we see characters instead and the only screenshots we get are screengrabs from the cgi trailer). I assume we will at least get something about Smash 4 at E3 2012 because Iwata will want to build hype for the Wii U.

Takamaru is definitely the most likely of the Japan-only retros. I think in terms of chances, it goes like this:
Takamaru>Lip>Sukapon

I also think Isa and Matthew will probably get the playable spots for their series over their fathers simply due to Sakurai wanting to pad out the newcomer roster with characters that were created during the interim between Brawl and Smash 4.

As for a female newcomer, it will most likely be Medusa or Palutena (with Lip being a possible darkhorse if Intelligent Systems is interested in making a new Panel de Pon with her as the main protagonist). However, there is the possibility that Sakurai might want to include Magnus as the second Kid Icarus character due to a lack "new characters" which he has been complaining about even since Brawl. However, he could also do the option of making three playable Kid Icarus characters, however, that might anger a lot of Smash fans and further cement the opinion that Sakurai is biased toward his own creations.
- Did Sakurai say something in regards to the development starting slow in the original interview or in another interview? This is something I'd like to know as it could mean a few characters frequently debated about may not be that likely at all and I may need to revise my prediction for this game.

- I'll give you this. Since a retro rep is near guarantee, because most people want Takamaru in and given his relevancy, it's why I expect him to get in.

- I guess you and Starphoenix do have a point in here, but there's always that chance that they'll opt for seniority in this case and go with the one more recognizable like they did with Pokemon Trainer where they picked Red over Lucas (The male 4th gen Pokemon Trainer).

- I think there's a reasonable shot for us to get three KI reps as you pointed out. Since every game has at least two franchises bringing in at least two newcomers, I wouldn't be surprise if Pokemon and KI got two newcomers for SSB4.

Also, have you seen Oasis_S's argument in regards to universal roster? If so, do you have any opinions on it?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What did Oasis have to say about the universal roster?

Personally, unless someone can find technical reasons why it can't be done I refuse to believe they wouldn't do it

You know, I don't understand why you guys are arguing about having universal rosters or not. I wouldn't care actually. As long as the number of characters go over 45 or even 50. I wouldn't give a ****.

However, I'm sort of leaning towards universal rosters

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You know, I don't understand why you guys are arguing about having universal rosters or not. I wouldn't care actually. As long as the number of characters go over 45 or even 50. I wouldn't give a ****.

However, I'm sort of leaning towards universal rosters
Because I'd hate a character to get in and NOT be playable on the wii

If the DS version lacks characters, I wouldn't care as much.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Oh I have no doubt we will see something at E3. Nintendo is going to need something to get the public excited over the Wii U that can appeal too both gamers and the general public. Smash Brothers is that title. Even if Sakurai does not Nintendo will have people working on presenting something at E3, even if it is just a cinematic. Half, if not most, of Brawl's E3 trailer was cinematic. They just blended a few shots of gameplay in there. I think people forget that.
Takamaru>Lip>Sukapon
Which again is one of those characters I have a difficult time being excited about.
He could do that, or just opt for the other two since they more then likely will be better supported by fans.

That would not surprise me in the least. Although I expect some backlash for it. Although if Magnus is playable and we get a custom music option I am so doing a video of him battling to this song. http://youtu.be/GepZ5hM3nTw

Which is probably why I'm a little against custom music...

Because I'd hate a character to get in and NOT be playable on the wii

If the DS version lacks characters, I wouldn't care as much.
The idea of 3DS exclusives is stupid. The Wii U version should be the one with the exclusive characters.

However, I'm SLIGHTLY leaning to the idea of universal rosters.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
- Did Sakurai say something in regards to the development starting slow in the original interview or in another interview? This is something I'd like to know as it could mean a few characters frequently debated about may not be that likely at all and I may need to revise my prediction for this game.

Also, have you seen Oasis_S's argument in regards to universal roster? If so, do you have any opinions on it?
It was mentioned in the original interview, though Sakurai originally said that it along the lines of "the first thing we will be doing will be trying to get the basics down."

Also, I do think there is a strong chance for a universal roster. However, I think the universal roster will not exceed 53 playable characters. 53 being the total number of playable characters, which includes transformations, not just "slots". There has never been a roster increase greater than 14 (from Smash 64 to Melee), and much of the increase was made as a result of the clones. From Melee to Brawl, the character increase was 13. For both Melee and Brawl, the total number of playable characters was a multiple of 13, so perhaps Smash 4's total character count will be 52.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They have already said Magnus is not an important character in the game.

He's just put in the represent the best man has to offer to show the player how strong pit actually is.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Oh I have no doubt we will see something at E3. Nintendo is going to need something to get the public excited over the Wii U that can appeal too both gamers and the general public. Smash Brothers is that title. Even if Sakurai does not Nintendo will have people working on presenting something at E3, even if it is just a cinematic. Half, if not most, of Brawl's E3 trailer was cinematic. They just blended a few shots of gameplay in there. I think people forget that.
Yeah, I would expect something like that. SSB4 was the only true 1st party Wii U game they announced, the rest being tech demo's that may or may not become real games.

And based on the reaction to the Wii U, Nintendo MUST do something with it next E3, and Smash would be a no brainer, it got the biggest cheer at the conference the second it was announced.

D

Deleted member

PsychoIncarnate said:
What did Oasis have to say about the universal roster?
I remember me and him having a heated debate over this a long time ago. He said that a character took about 20 MB at most, meaning that 50 characters (Transformation included) would take up about 1 GB alone.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
They have already said Magnus is not an important character in the game.

He's just put in the represent the best man has to offer to show the player how strong pit actually is.
I heard the bit about Magnus being the "strongest of mankind", however, I did not hear anything pertaining to him being unimportant to the game. Do you have a link backing that statement up?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I remember me and him having a heated debate over this a long time ago. He said that a character took about 20 MB at most, meaning that 50 characters (Transformation included) would take up about 1 GB alone.
On Brawl* :I 3DS Smash graphics surely wouldn't equal Brawl. Would be kind of dumb to since you could hardly notice on that screen.

The memory argument was always pretty flimsy, didn't you have one about sales and marketing and junk?

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
It was mentioned in the original interview, though Sakurai originally said that it along the lines of "the first thing we will be doing will be trying to get the basics down."

Also, I do think there is a strong chance for a universal roster. However, I think the universal roster will not exceed 53 playable characters. 53 being the total number of playable characters, which includes transformations, not just "slots". There has never been a roster increase greater than 14 (from Smash 64 to Melee), and much of the increase was made as a result of the clones. From Melee to Brawl, the character increase was 13. For both Melee and Brawl, the total number of playable characters was a multiple of 13, so perhaps Smash 4's total character count will be 52.
Problem is if we take out 5 (assuming we do not get anymore transforming characters) for Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, Sheik, and Zero Suit Samus we end up with 47 slots. That wouldn't flow with the design pattern each roster seems to follow.

One word, compression.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I heard the bit about Magnus being the "strongest of mankind", however, I did not hear anything pertaining to him being unimportant to the game. Do you have a link backing that statement up?
In the same interview where they said he was the strongest of manking, it also said he's only in 1 chapter

...I was in that debate as well, and brought up the technical specs of it. Unless it was a later debate

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
You people really need to learn some research skills. I found the link in two seconds without even knowing what to look for.

This question was followed up by IGN, who asked, "Speaking of the characters, what can you tell us about Magnus?"

Sakurai answered, "The game is set up in chapters - going from chapter one to chapter two to chapter three, and Magnus is a guest character that appears in chapter two. So it's very near the beginning of the game that he appears, and what we've done is we've set up this sort of ironic situation where you're near the beginning of the game, but you're set against what is made to be this 'breaking the fourth wall' final RPG boss type of character. So you discover that Magnus has some background history with this final boss character. Magnus is presented in the game as being the strongest of the strongest among humans, and all the humans have been fighting against the underworld and being defeated, but here's this one character who's stronger than everybody else. And when paired with Pit in the game, it's a good way for the player to get a sense comparatively, of just how powerful Pit is too. And also to explore Pit's character and personality by talking with another character in the game."
Essentially, he is a plot device...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They should have made him look more like a spartan or something

I know it's only vaguely greek themed, but still...

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Give Pit a personality. :facepalm:

You would have thought they would have learned their lesson with Samus.

Ugg, I just hope he doesn't act like how he speaks in the trailers and Brawl. I hate his voice actor. Please let there be an option for Japanese voices.

It's 1 am overhere, so I'm heading off to bed.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
If Magnus is not an important character, then the Kid Icarus newcomer will most likely be Medusa (or possibly Palutena). I could see Palutena possibly being part of a codec like system for Pit (like Snake) where she gives advice about the people he is fighting.

As to Starphoenix's suggestion about the roster only having 47 (or 48 slots including the random icon), such a set up could allow Pokemon to get away with six slots....

D

Deleted member

On Brawl* :I 3DS Smash graphics surely wouldn't equal Brawl. Would be kind of dumb to since you could hardly notice on that screen.

The memory argument was always pretty flimsy, didn't you have one about sales and marketing and junk?
Yeah I had an argument in regards to sales and marketing. I brought that one up because I fear that if universal roster happens that it will stifle sales of both systems. What I've also recently realized is that those who don't recognize how much the 3DS can handle will freak out tremendously about this idea and think that the game on both systems will only handle a roster about Melee's size. This misconception I believe would immensely turn off gamers and hurt sales overall so I believe if universal roster happens that people will assume that they're taking a step backward. I'll have to test this out by posting a thread on Nintendo Life, where Smash speculation is inactive to see if people like this idea.

If you ask me, my expectations for the roster is dirt low if it happens, but even I can expect at least a couple more slots. Then again, this is assuming we get no third-party characters and lots of cuts, so I'm prepared for the worst in anything but crappy newcomer choices, which I won't excuse.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I don't like seeing Palutena suggested. >:I

Pit, part of the Forces of Light, and Medusa, Forces of Darkness, balance out the series perfectly. After that little discussion we had about her some time ago, I feel she's definitely the more interesting choice of the two. SNAKE HAIR ATTACKS. C'MOOON.

...It's really hard for me to see where you're coming from on this. Universal rosters are typically considered a GOOD thing. Especially now that handhelds are capable of handling it! And it's freaking Smash! DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT SALES.

The original eight starters, and that's being a bit generous, are the only characters that could even make sales in the first place (not including third-party characters).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom