• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
To accommodate the inevitable, trivial curiosities of their consumers in such a way would be, quite frankly, ridiculous insane.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Funny that Brawl consist of mostly 1st gen Pokemon as playabe.

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Charizard, Squirtle , Ivysaur

Mewtwo is wanted!!

Yea....that's how iconic it is.

:phone:

CalvinWars

Smash Apprentice
I'm conflicted... I am against cutting and I like the characters in Pokemon already. However, I want the other gens to have reps. 2nd gen now has no reps, and the one rep it had was a joke character. 3rd generation was my favorite gen, and it's gotten nothing besides pokeballs and a boss. 4th gen is when I stopped playing, but, again, I'm against cutting and Lucario doesn't deserve to be cut. Lucario's cutting would lead to Pokemon always being in a cycle of cutting to make way for the new gen. Plus, we're definately getting a fifth gen, so this is even more complicated.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704

Pikachu
Jigglypuff

Mewtwo is wanted!!

I like how you didn't put any value into any other Generations and what they brought. Without the third gen, you wouldn't have the depth that Pokemon has. The Iconic thing applies to every generation, you're just failing to recognize that. Instead, you have this same thing on repeat. Yeah, I hear you, it's Iconic. That's why we have Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Mewtwo. Stop acting like no other series matters/ed.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Pikachu
Jigglypuff

Mewtwo is wanted!!

Well more or less Pikachu, Charizard, and Mewtwo are the faces of Pokemon.

We just haven't seen any Pokemon anymore reach the levels of popularity and the icon status that they have reached.

The only Pokemon that would be at all comparable to them are the Starters, Version Mascots, and Lucario. It's only natural people would want them playable.

Even my nephews have shown perferance torwards Gen 1, and they're growing up with Gen 5. lol

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I'm conflicted... I am against cutting and I like the characters in Pokemon already. However, I want the other gens to have reps. 2nd gen now has no reps, and the one rep it had was a joke character. 3rd generation was my favorite gen, and it's gotten nothing besides pokeballs and a boss. 4th gen is when I stopped playing, but, again, I'm against cutting and Lucario doesn't deserve to be cut. Lucario's cutting would lead to Pokemon always being in a cycle of cutting to make way for the new gen. Plus, we're definately getting a fifth gen, so this is even more complicated.
I'm sorry, but with a series like Pokemon, where there is always a new flavor of the week JUST AROUND THE CORNER... cutting is inevitable. It happens in, like, EVERY SERIES EVER, so I don't think Smash should be an exception.

SPEAKING OF CUTTING.

Chronobound's number of 47 is nice. May I have some help cutting this roster to pieces? :I Just some opinions...

Need to cut 8 characters... remember, that's a Mii box up there. :o

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I like how you didn't put any value into any other Generations and what they brought. Without the third gen, you wouldn't have the depth that Pokemon has. The Iconic thing applies to every generation, you're just failing to recognize that. Instead, you have this same thing on repeat. Yeah, I hear you, it's Iconic. That's why we have Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Mewtwo. Stop acting like no other series matters/ed.
Third was an awkward generation for me. It was during the time when pokemon was no longer cool and later when I didn't care whether it was cool or not.

It was the only generation I didn't get the first day it came out, and the only one I didn't own a copy (I borrowed someone else's) until years after it came out

It does have some of my favorite pokemon though

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Even my nephews have shown perferance torwards Gen 1, and they're growing up with Gen 5. lol
The Japanese fans are right, the casual gamers are ruining Super Smash Bros.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I do, and I also think that the First Generation is by far "over represented". You can give me the whole speech on how it was the first series, it started it all and blah blah blah but I don't care. That doesn't mean other generations should be ignored. At least Pichu and Lucario had a shot. The third generation (One of the most groundbreaking generations in Pokemon) hasn't gotten squat.

I very much do consider them to be under represented.
I have no intention of giving you that speech. Personally I don't care as Pokémon are usually the characters I use least of all. But Pokémon doesn't HAVE to have every generation have a playable character, it does not work that way.

I still think the best way of tackling this idea is a Pokémon Trainerette. Jigglypuff, Pichu and Gardevoir.

Anyways, regardless of whether you feel it is representation or not the Pokéballs count for something.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
The Japanese fans are right, the casual gamers are ruining the series.
Blame the cartoon, there's a reason Satoshi Tajiri prefers the manga over it.

Most people don't even know who Red is; they just think he's Ash and laugh.

OmegaXXII

Meh... I'm not failing to recognize anything, it's not really my sole opinion, when I meant "iconic" I meant that they are more recognizable than most of the other, I have nothing agaisnt 2nd 3rd or 4th gens, heck I don't mind if we get a second gen trainer with starters like Totodile, Bayleef and Typlosion, I'm all up for them actually, even Treeko, Mudkip and Swampper.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Blame the cartoon, there's a reason Satoshi Tajiri prefers the manga over the cartoon.

Most people don't even know who Red is; they just think he's Ash and laugh.
They shouldn't have called him "Pokemon Trainer" as to not hurt the feelings of those that didn't name him "Red"

Admittedly I named him "Ash" in generation 1

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
The Japanese fans are too uptight
I'll just leave the argument at this. Adding a fourth/fifth/sixth/seventh generation 1 pokemon is similar to adding Bowser Jr. over R.O.B. You add this character because they're "Iconic"(Popular) when there is another Generation who has no representation thats actually done something major for the series.

I meant that they are more recognizable than most of the other
Which isn't the sole reason for adding characters.

But Pokémon doesn't HAVE to have every generation have a playable character, it does not work that way.
No, but adding a generation that isn't the first, and the latest isn't too much to ask.

OmegaXXII

Starphoenix has a point, it's not necessary if Sakurai or Game Freak don't want to, just as long as the latest Gen. rep is represented is all that probably matters to them.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
They shouldn't have called him "Pokemon Trainer" as to not hurt the feelings of those that didn't name him "Red"

Admittedly I named him "Ash" in generation 1
I don't blame you, the cartoon brainwashed us as kids. lol

At least it's gotten better over the years, and is having less and less filler episodes.

As for the Japanese, of course they're uptight, the cartoon gave them seizures.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Poor Shortie, I could really tear this argument to shreds if I wanted too. But I don't want to fight you anymore. :'(

Shortie, why must I fight you? We are not enemies!
We're not fighting, we're just discussing. Bring it. I really really don't think you'll bring up anything I don't already know, or haven't already heard.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Nope. A virtue is to know when to hold your tongue, ;)
*Rolls Eyes*

Maybe if what we were discussing actually mattered.

Besides I know you fail to see what the third generation brought to the Pokemon games.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Abilities, Natures, Double Battles, Non-Battling Pokemon contests and a lot of other aspects were brought about during Ruby and Sapphire.

OmegaXXII

Krystal is garbage and does not deserve to be in Smash Bros more than veterans like Slippy and Peppy and the only reason people want her in is because they're furries.

No not really, but I really don't think Krystal is as important as other characters just because she wiggled her furry vagina into a couple recent not that great Starfox games.
This was SOOO Hilarious!!! :cool:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
*Rolls Eyes*

Maybe if what we were discussing actually mattered.

Besides I know you fail to see what the third generation brought to the Pokemon games.
It isn't about what it brought. It is about the characters. At the end of the day each character has been included on their own merit (apart from the obvious flavor of the month advertisement from Game Freak). You take this whole "Equal Opportunity" mentality to Pokémon yet you fail to see that people just don't want a second or third generation character compared to Mewtwo, Lucario, Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard.

You cannot say the Pokémon series is over represented when there is no basis to say they are representing anything other than themselves and the series as a whole! I've already tried explaining to you, unsuccessfully, that that these are what the Pokéballs are for. But noooooooooo... That isn't good enough. Besides, whether you "see" it that way doesn't change the fact that this is the case. I know you support those characters and it is no fun when you know a character you want does not have much of a chance. But that isn't what is irking me, it is everything preceeding it.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
This was SOOO Hilarious!!! :cool:
I like how instead of actually contributing to a debate you pick a side, and become a cheerleader who spouts nothing but nonsense. The fact that you decided to just randomly bring up something about Krystal only furthers this cheerleader status I see.

I'll be back later.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I like how instead of actually contributing to a debate you pick a side, and become a cheerleader who spouts nothing but nonsense. The fact that you decided to just randomly bring up something about Krystal only furthers this cheerleader status I see.

I'll be back later.
You have entitlement issues, which I don't believe is any constructive during a discussion.

Comments such as "The Japanese fans are right, the casual gamers are ruining the series." dismisses individuals as unimportant.

What other relevance is there for characters other than popularity? Popularity is a majority favor thing, when you believe the small "Elite" minority are the only people that matter

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Well whether you return with a rebuttal or not, it isn't going to see a response from me. I'm logging out for the night. I've learned three things today.

1: Apparently I am one of the oldest individuals inside this thread.
2: People give out way too much personal information online.
3: Rhythm Heaven is a stranger series than I thought...

Nite

Kantrip

Kantplay
I'm sorry, but with a series like Pokemon, where there is always a new flavor of the week JUST AROUND THE CORNER... cutting is inevitable. It happens in, like, EVERY SERIES EVER, so I don't think Smash should be an exception.

SPEAKING OF CUTTING.

Chronobound's number of 47 is nice. May I have some help cutting this roster to pieces? :I Just some opinions...

Need to cut 8 characters... remember, that's a Mii box up there. :o
IMO to get the size you want cut: 1 from LoZ, 1 from Mother, 1 from 3rd parties, 1 from Starfox, 2 from Retro, 1 from FE, and Samurai Goroh.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I think if you honestly knew something about the Pokemon games you wouldn't be so quick to let fans write off everything. At the end of the day you all refuse to look at these other generations with both their advances they brought to the series, as well as their popular Pokemon. Mewtwo is more Popular, we get it. But when has popularity ever been the sole reason to add characters? If this was the case we would see far more Pokemon, and nothing retro whatsoever. You can say "These Pokemon are popular" all you want, but it doesnt; change the fact that these other generations have just as much merit as the first. Fans are stupid. They don't look at the games for what they're worth. They look at the one generation they played, and pick a Pokemon they saw in a movie. Do you really think these are the best judges on what which characters get in?

No, they aren't. Which is why Game Freak is in charge. Hopefully they see this, and implement a playable character from the third generation.

Listen to Starphoenix and quit acting like a baby, just ignore me, sheesh. :/
Cheerleaders are supposed to be cheerful.

Popularity is a majority favor thing, when you believe the small "Elite" minority are the only people that matter
I'm pretty sure that's how the roster is picked. By an "Elite" minority of people who know everything about each series that is in SSB.

OmegaXXII

It's not just us, it's Sakurai and GameFreak as well, you fail to recognize that they are the most wanted, I stand by what Star mentioned because it makes sense, it's not all about the fans at , you have to take Sakurai and Game Freak as well, at the end they decide what generation is wanted or not!!

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
It's not just us, it's Sakurai and GameFreak as well, you fail to recognize that they are the most wanted, I stand by what Star mentioned because it makes sense, it's not all about the fans at , you have to take Sakurai and Game Freak as well.

I'm not saying this is how characters are picked, but how they should be.

Popularity isn't everything, I thought we all knew this.

Kantrip

Kantplay
In the end, why wouldn't it be about what the fans want? If the fans want certain characters, chances are they want them for a reason. If they want them for a reason, then they'd be happier to see them than to see someone who "balances out the franchise" or provides "complete representation". If they'd be happier to see the characters they want, chances are they'd be less happy if they got a different character, regardless of if they fulfill the aforementioned quotes. Happy fans equate to more sales. Unhappy fans but having what's "right" for the roster isn't going to get you anything.

If the fans don't like someone, and Sakurai doesn't like someone, and Game Freak / <insert company here> doesn't like someone, why put them in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom