• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If Rare was still with Nintendo today, we could have had the following characters in Smash:

- Banjo-Kazooie, Gruntilda (Banjo-Kazooie series)
- Conker (Conker series)
- Fulgore, Sabrewulf, B. Orchid (Killer Instinct series)
- Joanna Dark (Perfect Dark series)
- Juno, Vela, Lupus (Jet Force Gemini)
- Kameo (Kameo: Elements of Power, it would have been on the Gamecube if Rare never left Nintendo)

As for Rare's WTF character, the snakes Rattle 'n' Roll! God, I loved that game on the NES. Can you tell I used to be a big fan of Rare during the SNES/N64 days? So many missed moments of awesome had Rare never left Nintendo... not only that, but we wouldn't be hearing so many people whining about how Smash needs more females just for the sake of having more females.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I miss you to Kuma. It's been a while.

ONtopicness: No Mii's for me.
So have you been keeping up with the Street Fighter x Tekken news?

And I could've sworn you wanted Miis at one point.

Personally, I don't think Miis belong in Smash. One of the points of Smash is to be a fan service fighter featuring Nintendo characters and then some. If you get to throw yourself in there, that defeats that purpose. It should stay as Samus vs. Donkey Kong, not your Mii vs. your friend's Mii.

I can't picture Conker working to be honest without toning him down big time. Snake may have come from an M-rated series, but that's mostly for violence. Conker has violence AND sex AND raunchy, British humor.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Nah I was never for mii's...I might have ceded the possiblity, but never wanted it.

As for Street Fighter x Tekken/Tekken x Street fighter. As anything besides a date been announced for the former (as you could probably guess I'm more interested in the latter)?

refugee

Smash Journeyman
Nope, highly doubtful, think about it, since Iwata mentioned connectivity between both versions, how would an exclusive handheld character not be included? It just doesn't make sense.

Sadly, Banjo is beyond Nintendo and isn't anywhere near Nintendo's borderline for it to even be considered.

Sorry, but I'm just being realistic here.

:phone:
Yeah I already stated the chances were slim. Also, I don't if Banjo or other Rare characters can't make it into a SSB game. In the link I posted there were at least 5 retro characters I could pick from there who would be awesome to see in Smash.

EDIT: Here's a link again to one of the characters. http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Prince_of_Sablé

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So have you been keeping up with the Street Fighter x Tekken news?

And I could've sworn you wanted Miis at one point.

Personally, I don't think Miis belong in Smash. One of the points of Smash is to be a fan service fighter featuring Nintendo characters and then some. If you get to throw yourself in there, that defeats that purpose. It should stay as Samus vs. Donkey Kong, not your Mii vs. your friend's Mii.
But that's why I liked the suggestion someone else just posted earlier...

One Vs. mode for Nintendo and third-party characters plus the Mii who comes with a default moveset from Wii Sports and Pilotwings Resort.

Another Vs. mode for our Miis with custom movesets.

Personally, having third party characters in Smash defeats the purpose of Smash, that is, pitting Nintendo characters against each other. But here we are. At least Mii is an actual Nintendo character. :awesome:

EDIT: Conker could have his toilet humor toned down... striking a balance between Bad Fur Day and Pocket Tales (the original family-friendly Conker).

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If the Donkey Kong series continued in the direction DK64 was going, maybe it's best RARE did leave for Microsoft. DK64 I had some fun times with it, but that's NOT a Donkey Kong game. Especially how good DKC series was.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The Mii is more of an avatar than a character, imo. Besides, you have to also worry about various sizes. I just don't think it should happen, and I honestly don't see it happening.

refugee

Smash Journeyman

I can't picture Conker working to be honest without toning him down big time. Snake may have come from an M-rated series, but that's mostly for violence. Conker has violence AND sex AND raunchy, British humor.
This. That's why MKWii shouldn't of had Miis either. It kills the purpose of the game.

Conker could still of worked out IMO. They would find a way to get around the sex/rauchiness without being too obvious.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The Mii is more of an avatar than a character, imo. Besides, you have to also worry about various sizes. I just don't think it should happen, and I honestly don't see it happening.
In some Mii games it displays the Mii's head, but on a generic body so height and weight of the Mii isn't really an issue.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
In some Mii games it displays the Mii's head, but on a generic body so height and weight of the Mii isn't really an issue.
Yeah... that's how it's done in New Super Mario Bros. Mii. The Mii's head on top of Mario's body but the colors are that of Wario and Brawl's Blue Luigi (it is so funny that they wouldn't use Waluigi's colors).

Thino

Smash Master
It's not their poly count or anything like that; just the general style of a Mii does not suit Brawl. Sure, they can change it, but then it'd just look like... a generic human male... That is necessary.

For the record: I didnt feel the Mii's fit in MKW either :\
if its the style I think its really something that can be worked out , but its Nintendo we're talking about here , they would be as lazy as in MKW if they do

but its something when I imagine , stylewise , there are ways to make them fit

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This. That's why MKWii shouldn't of had Miis either. It kills the purpose of the game.

Conker could still of worked out IMO. They would find a way to get around the sex/rauchiness without being too obvious.
That's what I said about Conker. Balance between the popular and mature Bad Fur Day incarnation and the original and family-friendly Pocket Tales incarnation. Sort of like how Mickey Mouse is like (sans the toilet humor) in Epic Mickey.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
if its the style I think its really something that can be worked out , but its Nintendo we're talking about here , they would be as lazy as in MKW if they do

but its something when I imagine , stylewise , there are ways to make them fit
Their heads... their faces... Everything aesthetic about them just does not work with Smash... Maybe smash 64, but nothing recent.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That's what I said about Conker. Balance between the popular and mature Bad Fur Day incarnation and the original and family-friendly Pocket Tales incarnation. Sort of like how Mickey Mouse is like (sans the toilet humor) in Epic Mickey.
His level should be in the Honey Comb with the Opera Singing crap as the stage hazard

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Old Mickey and New Mickey are no where near as different as old Conker and new Conker. Mickey Mouse was never raunchy or super violent.

daAZNSensation

Smash Cadet
About the mii, its up to Sakurai and everybody else. i honestly don't care if the miis debut in the game (even though i suggested the idea). im just throwing suggestions.

Conker for the n64, i loved that game. one of my favorites.anybody remember the matrix scene?

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Mii customizable content for the Wii-U is inevitable, same thing can be said about Smash, their inclusion just makes perfect sense.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Old Mickey and New Mickey are no where near as different as old Conker and new Conker. Mickey Mouse was never raunchy or super violent.
You know what I mean, Kuma.

Conker could have toned down toilet humor similar to Wario's Down B move and toned down violence like Snake was.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
His level should be in the Honey Comb with the Opera Singing crap as the stage hazard
Brilliant! That was the most memorable thing I ever saw in Bad Fur Day, besides killing a crapping cow with a heavy object at the farm level and the bee going after the flower with big boobs. :bee:

OmegaXXII

I dont think the inclusion of a Mii makes any sense at all.

Well maybe not, but let's face it, with the Wii-U heavily supporting Mii content these days, the Mii's aren't gonna go anywhere for a while, if Sakurai is looking for the next big thing that's hit Nintendo then Mii's fit the bill perfectly.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
Well maybe not, but let's face it, with the Wii-U heavily supporting Mii content these days, the Mii's aren't gonna go anywhere for a while, if Sakurai is looking for the next big thing that's hit Nintendo then Mii's fit the bill perfectly.

The so called Mii content could simply be additional Mii items obtained from achieving different goals in SSB4; Not as an actual playable character. Honestly, I wouldnt want a Mii taking a space that, say, Saki could be taking. Miis are... kinda not made for a Smash style of game, aesthetically and gameplay wise.

D

Deleted member

Can anyone confirm whenever or not an alliance has ever worked out? I'm considering forming one in GameFAQs and gain support to getting a character in if at least one previous alliance has indirectly contributed to a character getting into Brawl.

Does anyone know it's possible to have a double-layer Wii-U disc? This might be important to Smash.
ETWIST51294 said:
I honestly think Takamaru's only comp is Sukapon, Mike Jones, and MAYBE Bubbles.

The Duck Hunt Dog what be the most WTF though.
Takamaru has practically no competition for the spot. Only one I can think of is Lip and even her is unlikely.
Hoots said:
Ok. I need to ask. Where did Sakurai confirm that there would be 3DS exclusive characters? Why are people saying that it like it's fact? Sakurai DID say that the WiiU version would be MUCH bigger, so the only cuts would be on the 3DS side. No reason to have characters not on the full version. I doubt Sakurai would be satisfied having a character not realized fully and doomed to rot unplayed on the 3DS. Also, if you take away all the handheld characters from the WiiU version, who is left? What console Nintendo characters are cool nowadays?
It's because it will very likely happen, whenever or not we like it. Issac and Starfy are handheld exclusive characters, those are two examples that could be relegated to handhelds. Also, when did he say that there would be no 3DS-exclusive characters?
ChronoBound said:
What are your thoughts on Meloetta?
Eh, I'd prefer Zoroark, Genesect (Unlikely as he is), or Victini to Meloetta. I don't think she stands much of a chance of getting in.
majora_787 said:
Every character needs their own Break the Targets again, at least. Board the platforms would be amazing. :3
Totally this. I was disappointed to find out that the team did so little work on Break the Targets in Brawl; so I can see this happening in SSB4, due to the larger size of disc.
ChronoBound said:
Would you be upset or satisfied if Smash 4 ONLY has NINE newcomers, and if these were the nine newcomers:

1. Toad, Bowser Jr, or Paper Mario
2. Ridley
3. Zoroark or Victini
4. Medusa
5. Little Mac
6. Lip
7. Isaac
8. Mega Man
9. Slime, Simon Belmont, or Ryu Hayabusa

The reason why I am bringing up this scenario is that most believe that the character selection screen for Smash 4 will have 45 slots. Assuming no one gets cut, that only leaves room for nine newcomers.
I'm assuming you're not counting transformation (I'm not), so where is the 10th newcomer?

To answer your question, I'd be mixed., slightly disappointed if it turns out Toad gets in. On the one hand, most of these characters I would actually play with and it would be nice to have four third-party characters over three or less, although not necessary. On the other hand, I can easily see the game handling a late 40s roster and while I wouldn't be surprise, it doesn't really fulfill my expectation of at least 46 characters, which I believe can easily be done. That said, it's still a good roster and will only get better if new characters are introduced via DLC and honestly, as long as the choices are good, I'm willing to deal with at least 41, but no less. So this is a good roster if no one is cut, just not a great one I was hoping for.

Now as for characters I have my doubts about getting in, those are Lip, Issac, and a fourth third-party character.

Lip is much more obscure then even Earthbound and Sakurai knows that not many people wants to play with Lip, myself included. Issac stands an okay chance of getting in, but there's always that chance that he could be 3DS exclusive, so take that into account. I also don't think with just ten newcomers, we'll see a fourth third-party newcomer. If it looks we're getting over 50 characters in SSB4 (Which is questionable to say the least), then we can talk about a fourth third-party character.

So here is my list of what I think are the 10 most likely newcomers (In no specific order):

1. Bowser Jr.
2. Ridley
3. Zoroark
4. Medusa
5. Little Mac
6. Dixie Kong/King K. Rool
7. 1st Gen Newcomer or Mewtwo
8. Saki Amamiya/Isa Jo
9. Takamaru
10. Mega Man

All of them (Except Saki, but I believe fan demand could be enough to get a Sin & Punishment character in as playable) have appeared in at least one game since Brawl and I consider 2006 the cut-off date for new characters for Brawl (With the exception of the 2007's Sonic). All of these stands a decent chance of appearing in the next Smash.
GameFreaking said:
Everyone thinks we are losing toon link or lucario, but why not wolf or even one of those earthbound kids?

Also I'm skeptical of Snake returning, but Sonic will be back with at the very least Shadow at his side. Sega thinks he sooo cool.
- I can see Wolf happening, although not very likely, but I doubt Earthbound is going anywhere. The fact that Ness stayed in all three games should solidify his position as a playable character. Lucas is also unlikely to be cut due to being a starter. That is why I don't think Ike and other starters/former starters will be cut.

- Snake is very likely to come back. If Kojima begged to put him in Melee and Brawl, then surely Konami will keep him in. No need to drop a very popular character like him that doesn't suck. The chances of another Sonic rep is also very poor to say the least.
Starphoenix said:
There is no reason to simply cut characters, expecially when you have very little characters to replace them.
Lucario could be replaced by Mewtwo/Meowth/Zoroark/Victini and we could still get five Pokemon rep.
refugee said:
Well here is a video of him in action. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUPaB0zizoI

IMO he is the definition of a WTF retro character.
Boy that sheriff sure is resistant.
lordvaati said:
they have a point.
They do, but I think it's going to be 50 characters not including transformation if we do get 15 newcomers and no cuts. 12 newcomers in the original, 13 from Melee, and 14 in Brawl. But I think it'll be 13 newcomers or less this time around.
User33 said:
You're setting yourself up for disappointment. 42-44 character slots is much more realistic.
Highly disagree that 49 is setting yourself up for disappointment. Remember, we have at least 25 GB for the team to work with and still quite a few choices for Nintendo to pick from, not including the likelihood of Mega Man. While I'm not expecting anymore then three third-party characters, I can't really see 49 characters meaning setting yourself up for disappointment.

Thino

Smash Master
The so called Mii content could simply be additional Mii items obtained from achieving different goals in SSB4; Not as an actual playable character. Honestly, I wouldnt want a Mii taking a space that, say, Saki could be taking. Miis are... kinda not made for a Smash style of game, aesthetically and gameplay wise.
I get what you mean : they jus't don't fit in as character . My point is , this is a kind of situation that already happened for Brawl , cases of inclusion of items , assist trophies, characters , that didnt make sense or did not fit , at least IMO.

but they ended up being in Brawl , thats why now I consider anything possible and dont go by pattern or by style

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
If Isaac is "3DS exclusive", Sakurai better have a way set up that if we own both games/consoles, we can transfer him over and put him in the Wii U version as well.

That's my hope.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Can anyone confirm whenever or not an alliance has ever worked out? I'm considering forming one in GameFAQs and gain support to getting a character in if at least one previous alliance has indirectly contributed to a character getting into Brawl.

Does anyone know it's possible to have a double-layer Wii-U disc? This might be important to Smash.
The Geno Alliance was more or less multi-website.

If by "Worked Out" you mean did they character make it into the game...

OmegaXXII

Well when you put it that way. Mii's would definetly work in somekind of mini game, but as far as to say "were gonna include him in the roster", is going too far with the idea.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Have alliances ever worked? No because as far as we know the developers don't read these forums as they are not offically associated with Nintendo like the original Nsider was. Also, most of the alliances were formed in the summer of 2006 and its highly likely that most of the cast had already been determined by that time. From how Sakurai described the development process, it seems that the characters and stages are one of the first things they knock out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom