• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
here's the thing though: what if this time it's mandatory to use the Wii U controller? because when you think about it, the controller is designed similar to a 3DS, which it's supposed to interact with.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Zoroark requires event exclusive Pokemon to obtain as well. People need to stop creating patterns from small sample sizes.
Even so, Zoroark has higher priority over Victini.

Also, I don't want to drag the anime into the mix, but Zorua and Zoroark are the only generation 5 Pokemon to appear outside of the Black & White season.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
Zoroark requires event exclusive Pokemon to obtain as well. People need to stop creating patterns from small sample sizes.
These aren't "small sample sizes", we're simply following the "data" given to us and choosing the most logical position, and I can almost 100% confirm that Zoroark will be playable, and Victini will be Pokeball... It just makes the most sense.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
here's the thing though: what if this time it's mandatory to use the Wii U controller? because when you think about it, the controller is designed similar to a 3DS, which it's supposed to interact with.

It better not. I held and played with the Wii U controller. I would not use it for Smash if I had the chance.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
I wouldn't expect it. Sakurai has made some dumb decisions, but he's not THAT bad.

Kantrip

Kantplay
As of now, the system is compatible with 4 Wii Controllers and 1 WiiU controller. A multiplayer game will not use more than 1 WiiU controller. Smash will use Wii and its attachments.

User33

Smash Journeyman
These aren't "small sample sizes", we're simply following the "data" given to us and choosing the most logical position, and I can almost 100% confirm that Zoroark will be playable, and Victini will be Pokeball... It just makes the most sense.
"It just makes the most sense" isn't a valid argument and definitely shouldn't follow "I can almost 100% confirm..."

Victini or Zoroark both have points for and against them. Completely ruling out one or the other is foolish.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
"It just makes the most sense" isn't a valid argument and definitely shouldn't follow "I can almost 100% confirm..."

Victini or Zoroark both have points for and against them. Completely ruling out one or the other is foolish.
ALL of the other Fairy like pokemon have been in pokeballs. The main Humanoid pokemon have been playable characters. Zoroark is going to be playable in SSB4, Victini is going to be in a Pokeball. Mark my words, if I am incorrect, you may take a dump on my face.

D

Deleted member

In terms of likelihood in 5th gen Pokemon being playable, I believe it's Zoroark > Victini > All other PokemoN characters.
Ganonsburg said:
First Question: What are people thinking as to the max number of characters any one series will get in SSB4? In Brawl we saw a limit of 4 (if you split up all of the Mario rep into main Mario and support Mario casts, anyway). Do people expect this to expand? This would mainly be an issue for the Mario and Pokemon; not so much for Zelda or Star Fox. Try not to say they'll expand JUST because you want to see some character like Toad or whatever added in.
Super Mario Bros. will almost certainly expand to five. Bowser Jr. is a likely candidate for SSB4 with lots of demands and if not him, we could see Paper Mario as well. Pokemon will probably expand to five since I see a decent chance of see one of Lucario/Mewtwo/new 1st gen rep in the fourth slot and Zoroark in the fifth slot.
Ganonsburg said:
Second question: How much are we expecting clones to change? Do you think that clones will continue to slowly diverge (Luigify), as they have in the past? Or do you think they'll put more effort into developing unique movesets (looking at you, Ganondorf).
A mix of both. Some like Falco and Wolf will probably become more unique but still remain as semi-clones. Others like Luigi and Ganondorf are much more likely to be unique and people have been clamoring for Ganondorf to finally to be unique.
Ganonsburg said:
Third Question: With all the processing power and memory the Wii U will have, do you think they'll bring back more past stages? Do you think they'll keep more characters or bring back old ones? Basically, what do you think they'll use that extra UMPH for (other than/ in addition to another 15 characters or so)?
I think they will bring back more past stages and I suspect it'll be a mix of SSB64, Melee, and Brawl. At least 15 is likely and up to 20 is also possible.

Online play will certainly be improved, thought to what extend we don't know of, but I would not be surprise if basic online features on PSN/XBL along with DLC are made available. There will also be more modes to play.
User33 said:
Victini's starring in two upcoming movies. He's probably more likely than Zoroark.
Since Zoroark is one of the first 5th gen character revealed like Lucario was to the 4th gen, I don't think Victini is as likely as you think (Possible, but not as likely as Zoroark). Others argument supports what I believe in this matter.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
I think they going to be using the setup that they used for Brawl (Wiimote, Wiimote + nunchuck, and classic minus GC controller).

Now for a new thought. What if you can substitute a 3DS for a controller, like you did with GBAs in Zelda Four Swords Adventure? I mean Sakurai wants there to be alot of connectivity between the two system, so I think its a possibility.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
As if. Scrafty is not as iconic as Zoroark is.
scrafty/scraggy are actually some of the more popular 5th gen Pokes (not I'm gonna be in a movie popular but still.) I mean we got a cult spazzing over Golurk, of all Pokes(though that might be just because of dudes going OMFG this dude can fly!) my basic point is that we really can be surprised with any 5th gen rep- I mean, Plusle& Minun were almost the gen 3 reps, but at the time people thought Deoxys was a shoe in. you get what I'm saying?

D

Deleted member

I think they going to be using the setup that they used for Brawl (Wiimote, Wiimote + nunchuck, and classic minus GC controller).

Now for a new thought. What if you can substitute a 3DS for a controller, like you did with GBAs in Zelda Four Swords Adventure? I mean Sakurai wants there to be alot of connectivity between the two system, so I think its a possibility.
God that would be awesome. Imagine being able to do eight players at a time locally. It shouldn't expand to online, thought.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599

maybe more so like the Stadium/Colusseum games, since he talked about porting over customized characters to the game and plying with them on the system. that's why i though about the possibility of it being wi u only since both games would have the same button layout that way.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm kind of tired of these specific character discussions, so I'll ask a few, more generic questions.

First Question: What are people thinking as to the max number of characters any one series will get in SSB4? In Brawl we saw a limit of 4 (if you split up all of the Mario rep into main Mario and support Mario casts, anyway). Do people expect this to expand? This would mainly be an issue for the Mario and Pokemon; not so much for Zelda or Star Fox. Try not to say they'll expand JUST because you want to see some character like Toad or whatever added in.

Second question: How much are we expecting clones to change? Do you think that clones will continue to slowly diverge (Luigify), as they have in the past? Or do you think they'll put more effort into developing unique movesets (looking at you, Ganondorf).

Third Question: With all the processing power and memory the Wii U will have, do you think they'll bring back more past stages? Do you think they'll keep more characters or bring back old ones? Basically, what do you think they'll use that extra UMPH for (other than/ in addition to another 15 characters or so)?
1: The Mario series could see 5 characters, since that did happen in Melee. All other series' will probably see no more than 4 characters.

2: Ganondorf deserves the biggest moveset change. Not so much for most other semi-clones.

3: If the game disc truly holds around 25 GB, I can see at least 55 characters in the roster. Some Brawl fighters might get the boot, but it might mostly involve Pokemon characters.

scrafty/scraggy are actually some of the more popular 5th gen Pokes (not I'm gonna be in a movie popular but still.) I mean we got a cult spazzing over Golurk, of all Pokes(though that might be just because of dudes going OMFG this dude can fly!) my basic point is that we really can be surprised with any 5th gen rep- I mean, Plusle& Minun were almost the gen 3 reps, but at the time people thought Deoxys was a shoe in. you get what I'm saying?
I just don't see it happening for Scrafty. It's just a random Pokemon after all.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
1: The Mario series could see 5 characters, since that did happen in Melee. All other series' will probably see no more than 4 characters.

2: Ganondorf deserves the biggest moveset change. Not so much for most other semi-clones.

3: If the game disc truly holds around 25 GB, I can see at least 55 characters in the roster. Some Brawl fighters might get the boot, but it might mostly involve Pokemon characters.
Don't forget about the other nintendo games, No More Heroes, Golden Sun, Fire Emblem, etc. There are plenty of other games for nintendo to pick form not just Pokemon :p

D

Deleted member

@L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s: No More Heroes isn't a Nintendo franchise. And aren't you from Mafiascum under a similar username? I remember modding a game where Lateralus22 was in.
Mario_And_Sonic_Guy said:
Yes it does hold about 25 GB. Also, doesn't this contradict your statement that we can't really expect over 55 characters? You've said a few times it wouldn't happen.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Don't forget about the other nintendo games, No More Heroes, Golden Sun, Fire Emblem, etc. There are plenty of other games for nintendo to pick form not just Pokemon :p
What I mean is that in the long run, the only Brawl fighters that are likely to get the boot are from the Pokemon franchise.

Lucario will probably get booted and replaced by Zoroark.

The Pokemon Trainer may get different Pokemon.

Pikachu and Jigglypuff stay, since they're part of the original 12 fighters.

Yes it does hold about 25 GB. Also, doesn't this contradict your statement that we can't really expect over 55 characters? You've said a few times it wouldn't happen.
Well there's more to Smash Bros. than characters. There's also the stages, the solo game modes, and so on. Even the video files can use a large amount of memory.

You must also take into account texture quality, as HQ textures use more memory than LQ textures. If you don't know texture formats, RGBA8 is the highest quality texture format, but it's also the biggest sized texture format as well; using 32 bits per pixel.

D

Deleted member

On the subject of Pokemon, do you think that we could see another 1st gen rep this time around? Arcadenik brings up a good point in that each game brings at least one new 1st gen Pokemon rep. If it continues with next gen, we could very well see one of these characters:

- Mewtwo (Returning to replace Lucario)
- Meowth
- Eevee

Granted, Eevee is probably a stretch, but I wouldn't be surprise if we get five Pokemon reps next time around, whenever that's Meowth being playable or Mewtwo coming back.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
On the subject of Pokemon, do you think that we could see another 1st gen rep this time around? Arcadenik brings up a good point in that each game brings at least one new 1st gen Pokemon rep. If it continues with next gen, we could very well see one of these characters:

- Meowth
- Eevee

Granted, Eevee is probably a stretch, but I wouldn't be surprise if we get five Pokemon reps next time around, whenever that's Meowth being playable or Mewtwo coming back.
It IS a valid point, however, I personally feel that Mewtwo's time to shine was in melee and should stay put and allow Zoroark to get a chance in the limelight. Meowth would be interesting.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
Pikachu doesn't need to be in the so called "original 12" for him to remain as a combatant.

User33

Smash Journeyman
Once again, people are overestimating the number of characters that will appear in the next installment. Everybody expected at least 42 characters in Brawl....we got 35. Especially considering the recent Iwata Asks interview where Sakurai talks about how he could have 50 characters but implies that he never would include that many.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
Once again, people are overestimating the number of characters that will appear in the next installment. Everybody expected at least 42 characters in Brawl....we got 35. Especially considering the recent Iwata Asks interview where Sakurai talks about how he could have 50 characters but implies that he never would include that many.
I'm expecting maybe 40-45 in SSB4 tbh. Anything more would almost be... overkill. Like I said >9000 pages back, I felt like Brawl had a pretty solid roster... A good variety to pick from, but thats just me.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So about the overall roster size... the original had 12, Melee had 25 (26 individual movesets and 14 new characters), and Brawl had 35 (39 individual movesets and 17 new characters). From Melee to Brawl, four characters were replaced. Looking at this, I think anywhere from 50-55 is realistic especially with how, at this time, it isn't all too likely that a large number of people are going to be cut (maybe 3 at the most).

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599

- Meowth
- Eevee

IMO, Meowth has the highest chance, since along with D3 and bowser he was planned for Smash 64. plus he is one of the more popular Pokemon, actually beating pikachu along with Eevee, Puff, M2 and Charizard on one list. Eevee WOULD be fun to see though, since it could be like the manga one that kept changing forms when it attacked.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero

- Meowth
- Eevee

Eevee would be cool, I wouldn't expect him though.

I would expect 45. FGs don't normally break the 50 mark.

D

Deleted member

@lordvaati: I believed that Meowth was planned as well. Sadly, that's not the case. So I think he's still possible, but below Mewtwo. That said, I would put our chances of getting a fifth Pokemon rep at around 65%
I'm expecting something in the late 40s. Considering that Brawl's roster is better then Melee's (And yes, that's taking into account worthy characters and clones, not numbers), only two or three tops will get axed, so it's not unrealistic to expect something in the late 40s. I believe that 50 characters (Veterans and newcomers) stands a decent chance of getting into SSB4, thought Issac and Starfy are more likely then not going to be for the 3DS in which where we have to transfer them to the Wii-U to play them in all of it's glory.

Not many people are going to be satisfied with a roster of 35-45, so Sakurai is going to have to put in quite a few good newcomers. Likewise, anything above 50 is possible, but I can't really see the Smash universe initially handling just that, that'll have to come via DLC if we get any.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yeah like I said before, no more than 55 characters is realistic enough.

My latest roster has 46 characters when one doesn't count 3rd parties and transformations. Include the transformations; 51. 3rd parties; 55.

Basically, up to four 3rd parties is possible. More than four is senseless.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Sort of. Geno was supported by a lot of people like myself who's main system during their childhood was the SNES. This time around, it's mostly people who were in elementary school in the later N64 days/early GCN days. A lot of the Geno supporters have grown up and moved on. I'm about to start grad school soon so I understand how now-a-days they probably don't have time for video games let alone internet forums.

I think another part is that a lot of people feel let down because the Geno Alliance hyped him up so much. As I was one of the main people behind the Geno movement not only here but also on Nsider, gamefaqs, gamespot, and IGN, I feel a good portion of it is my fault. People believed in us especially after I went on my little "mission" back in 2006 to Nintendo of Japan. In a way, we made a promise about something that we had no control over and I think a good number of people are still bitter about it.
Hey fatman long time no talk. I agree with the whole growing up and moving on thing. Most people who really experienced SMRPG are in their early 20s and late teens at this point. What do you think his chances are this time around?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Yeah like I said before, no more than 55 characters is realistic enough.

My latest roster has 46 characters when one doesn't count 3rd parties and transformations. Include the transformations; 51. 3rd parties; 55.
55 is way over the top. They may have the space for that man, but with balancing and what not, ther's no way there'll be that many.

D

Deleted member

@KCCHIEFS27: I would put Geno's chances at around 10%. Has a lot of fan demand, but even though Super Mario RPG: Legends of The Seven Stars sold over a million and was very well received by critic, Geno appeared as a sidekick, not as a major character like Mario, Peach, Bowser, or even Mallow. Heck, without Geno's popularity, Mallow would stand more of a chance.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
He may be implying 50 individual character slots. Brawl had 35 individual slots and 39 individual characters. If no body gets cut, that means it would only take 11 characters to get to 50 which would be kind of strange given how Melee had 14 new characters and Brawl had 17. Also, didn't he mention that he's not fully in charge of the characters anymore? From the sound of things, he's mainly passing off the reigns to his staff.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
55 is way over the top. They may have the space for that man, but with balancing and what not, ther's no way there'll be that many.
Well, only time will tell. It never hurts to guess after all. And of course, I'm not as stupid as I was with the Brawl discussions.

D

Deleted member

@Mic_128: 55 is a bit unrealistic, but hardly over the top and still is possible. I'm not expecting anything over 50, but it could happen, especially given that the Wii-U has 25 GB, the same as a PlayStation 3 Blu-Ray single-layer disc. And if we get nothing like SSE in SSB4 Wii-U version, this is very well possible.

D

Deleted member

55 is not to bad, since it would tack 11 character's but they probble won't go no higher than 40 something.
Sounds like a massive contradiction. You say that 55 isn't too difficult to reach, yet you say they won't go higher then 40. Clarify yourself.

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
Because the WII U is expected to have more memory than the Wii, more characters is a given. Smash 1 had in the 10's of characters and single digits of stages (10's if the Meta Crystal Mine, Polygon Pyramid, and Aztec Sun Altar are included). Melee had in the 20's of characters and stages, Brawl had in the 30's, and I'll be stunned in my tracks if Smash 4 doesn't have at least in the 40's of characters and stages.

But how many can I expect? Provided they add a ton of new franchises to the table, there were a LOT of characters that people clamored to see in Brawl that didn't make the cut. My intuition says there will be 46-49 character slots, not counting alternate forms.

By the way, where are we allowed to post character wish lists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom