• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
Ryu Hayabusa had his first start on Nintendo consoles, sure, but I don't see him being in Smash for this installment. Don't get me wrong, I LOOOVE Ninja Gaiden to death, but there are still so many people who aren't aware that the games even exist. I've seen more recognition for Fire Emblem than NG, which is insane.

I think I mentioned it before, but for stages, I'd like to see a lighthouse aerie from the first two Golden Sun games, specifically the Venus or Mars Lighthouse, since those were the endgame settings for the first two. Actually, even Appollo Sanctum would be sweet. Gimmicks would be another story, though...

majora_787

Smash Hero
Ryu Hayabusa had his first start on Nintendo consoles, sure, but I don't see him being in Smash for this installment. Don't get me wrong, I LOOOVE Ninja Gaiden to death, but there are still so many people who aren't aware that the games even exist. I've seen more recognition for Fire Emblem than NG, which is insane.

I think I mentioned it before, but for stages, I'd like to see a lighthouse aerie from the first two Golden Sun games, specifically the Venus or Mars Lighthouse, since those were the endgame settings for the first two. Actually, even Appollo Sanctum would be sweet. Gimmicks would be another story, though...
Someone told me this... What do you think Smash would be like as a 3d fighter? I don't mean 3D graphics, I mean with playability in the third dimension. With all freedom of movement retained.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
im imagining the venus lighthouse falling apart and you can use the debris as moving platforms. before it gets to the ocean water, it transitions into a Castle Siege transition and you're right back at the top of the venus lighthouse. the light house lasts 3 minutes until the fissure comes in and the fall lasts 1 whole minute.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
That be so different but cool, I'm imagining power stone a litte.

If they did this I would be really surprised if they made it work with the style smash is already in.

:phone:

Neontiger94

Smash Apprentice
Some gameplay ideas:
In Melee we got Air dodges, and tether recoveries

In Brawl we got footstooling and wallclinging

I like the idea of an aerial dash, and perhaps something a little more controversial for Smash 4, a hyper meter of some sort which fills up can be activated for increased damage and speed.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I did get an item idea recently...

Mega Mushroom: This makes the player mega-sized (as if a giant player got a Super Mushroom), and makes him/her impervious to flinching. However, he/she would still take damage from attacks. Effects last for 10 seconds.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
when referencing techniques, why did you reference combat?

anyways, for air dashing, i only want to see Mega Man X do air dashing.

D

Deleted member

I did get an item idea recently...

Mega Mushroom: This makes the player mega-sized (as if a giant player got a Super Mushroom), and makes him/her impervious to flinching. However, he/she would still take damage from attacks. Effects last for 10 seconds.
Kind of redundant to say the least. Mega Mushroom is basically a souped-up Mushroom.

As for Assist Trophies ideas, I think Rosalina would be good. Proto Man as well if we get the classic Mega Man in.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
An Item I thought would be really interesting is the Crystal Rod from Kid Icarus

It creates two crystals that circle around your body and they can do damage while blocking attacks. The crystals are small so they wouldn't make them completely invincible but it would be very helpful.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
Someone told me this... What do you think Smash would be like as a 3d fighter? I don't mean 3D graphics, I mean with playability in the third dimension. With all freedom of movement retained.
I haven't given thought to that in a while, but I'm not sure about it. Transition into a 3D, free-move battlefield rather than a simple 2D plane would change the game a lot. I think it'd be worth a shot though, since that opens up so many new options.

im imagining the venus lighthouse falling apart and you can use the debris as moving platforms. before it gets to the ocean water, it transitions into a Castle Siege transition and you're right back at the top of the venus lighthouse. the light house lasts 3 minutes until the fissure comes in and the fall lasts 1 whole minute.
That's not bad, actually. And maybe a sign to show it's coming would be a scene in the background depicting what happened near the end of GS...yellow elemental energy shooting up from the lighthouse and splitting the entire structure in two before the commotion causes you to fall from the stage and on to the debris part. I guess the split could also work as a second, permanent change to the stage until the match is over.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Why would we do this. That's helping players using unsafe moves on shields. No game should cater to stupid people.
It's so that you can pressure and force mistakes like every other fg in existince except for brawl. Brawls shields were WAYYYY too good. The only thing you could do was grab. here would still be unsafe moves, just not as many.

Did it work out for MK and SF? No, it helped in the death of both of those series. Please no 3D, that would take away the entire appeal of smash.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
if you want to make a 3D combat nintendo crossover game... call it something else.
successful 3d games include: Tekken, Soul Calibur, Virtua Fighter... thats it...

hedgehog9597

Smash Rookie
Okay guys, stop with the "no gamecube controller!? waaaaaaaahh :c" johns. I just got a classic controller pro for ssbb, and it is, in my opinion, better than the gc controller. Once you get used to the left analog stick's new position, it is a gamecube controller with an extra shoulder button. Plus you don't have to worry about the lag in the analog trigger; every button is digital.

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
if you want to make a 3D combat nintendo crossover game... call it something else.
successful 3d games include: Tekken, Soul Calibur, Virtua Fighter... thats it...
Agreed. It would be interesting and I'd play it, but it wouldn't be Smash Bros.

Okay guys, stop with the "no gamecube controller!? waaaaaaaahh :c" johns. I just got a classic controller pro for ssbb, and it is, in my opinion, better than the gc controller. Once you get used to the left analog stick's new position, it is a gamecube controller with an extra shoulder button. Plus you don't have to worry about the lag in the analog trigger; every button is digital.
Um, nobody's complained of that for a while. Please don't re-open that can of worms.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
I lol'd. Please read at least the current page before you post.
Anyways, I think we can all agree that 3 dimensions would be horrible and would cease to be Smash. As far as third party characters go, I would certainly hope that they would be appropriate characters who feel at home in Smash... certainly not Ryu Hyabusa or the like. I would prefer someone like Professor Layton. And as much as I hate him, I could fathom Megaman, as painful as it would be. However, not more than one Capcom character because come on, Capcom has the lamest stable of characters. And I bought MVC3 (Stupid Ammy, making me buy bad games).

Also, what is with all the hate for Geno? Back in the Brawl speculation days everyone liked him. Is it because the forum is now full of youngins who grew up with Bowser Jr and such? Or am I just crazy?

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Also, what is with all the hate for Geno? Back in the Brawl speculation days everyone liked him. Is it because the forum is now full of youngins who grew up with Bowser Jr and such? Or am I just crazy?

Well, we aren't back to those days quite yet.

Still, I do doubt he will have as much support this time. Last time I actually kind of supported him. For some reason the Geno fanbase's argument persuaded me. I don't remember how. Now I see Geno as nothing more than some obscure character from a relatively obscure game from a loooonggggg time ago.

I don't hate him, but he doesn't have any chance.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Well, we aren't back to those days quite yet.

Still, I do doubt he will have as much support this time. Last time I actually kind of supported him. For some reason the Geno fanbase's argument persuaded me. I don't remember how. Now I see Geno as nothing more than some obscure character from a relatively obscure game from a loooonggggg time ago.

I don't hate him, but he doesn't have any chance.
I wouldn't say it was some obscure game. Super Mario RPG is such an iconic game for the SNES, not to mention it was very well received. Not only that, if it weren't for SMRPG, Paper Mario and the Mario and Luigi rpgs would never have been made. Paper Mario was even called Super Mario RPG 2 before trademarks forced them to change the name. Seeing how Geno is the mascot of that game kinda makes him more than an obscure character from the game. In addition, he has a huge fan following and always places highly in Smash votes. And I mean, come on, his design is much cooler than any of the other Mario reps and he isn't a generic race, OR a ripoff of another character. Also, since the secret characters in Mario Sports Mix are Final Fantasy characters, why couldn't a Square character be in Smash and with his popularity, I wouldn't completely rule Geno out. I'm not trying to say that Geno will make it in, but I don't think he is as ridiculous and hate worthy as many people on this forum make him out to be.

D

Deleted member

majora_787 said:
It may sounds great in concept, but I highly doubt that they can pull it off well. 2.5D gameplay is good enough for me.
Mario_And_Sonic_Guy said:
Well it would be a rare item, similar to the Golden Hammer.
Fair enough, I'll accept it in the same place as I do the Golden Hammer.
Hoots said:
I would certainly hope that they would be appropriate characters who feel at home in Smash... certainly not Ryu Hyabusa or the like.
I could make the same argument in regards to Snake. If Snake wasn't playable in Smash, we had third-party characters, and that someone brought it up, I would be in denial. But Snake is in here and he works out extremely well. If Snake can fit in, so can Ryu Hayabusa.
Hoots said:
Also, since the secret characters in Mario Sports Mix are Final Fantasy characters, why couldn't a Square character be in Smash and with his popularity, I wouldn't completely rule it out.
I understand where you're coming from and I wouldn't mind Geno's inclusion, but I have a few problems with this argument:

- Geno is not in Mario Sports Mix, that does not support his inclusion in any shape or form.

- Us getting a fourth third-party rep is questionable to say the least. Unlike Mega Man who is almost certainly going to be the third third-party character in the Super Smash Bros. series, there are no definitive 4th third-party rep in the game, which makes it kind of hard to imagine a fourth third-party character in the game. Some will say Ryu Hayabusa should get in (Like me), some will say Ryu, some will say Pac-Man, you get the point. And it shouldn't be a focus point until it becomes apparent that a fourth third-party characters become likely, which right now, it isn't.

- Geno, while he might be a good character, has a very small chance of getting into Smash. He is a sidekick in Super Mario RPG: Legends of the Seven Stars, a game joint-developed by Nintendo and Square Enix. Nintendo does not hold the rights to Geno, so they can't just put him in the game; it's Square Enix who owns him. I highly doubt Nintendo will go through the trouble just to get a sidekick from that game when there are characters from the same company that stands a higher chance of getting in.

Neontiger94

Smash Apprentice
What exactly is 2.5d?

and why are people trying to change the dogmas of Smash? up to 4 characters on a 2D plane building their opponent's damage trying to knock each other off.

This is something that should't ever change

D

Deleted member

To add to what past stages I want to see in Smash 4, add Princess Peach Castle from Melee.
What problem do people have with Ryu?

If not Megaman then I say he should be in the upper echelon of possible third party characters
I don't have a problem with Ryu Hayabusa, but two things will likely keep him out:

- We don't know if we'll see a fourth third-party rep in the game.
- Not popular with requests. So far, I've only seen four people (You, me, gsninja, and ChronoBound) think he would be a good choice for a third-party character.

That said, he has more going for his inclusion then most third-party characters, but it isn't really saying much.
What exactly is 2.5d?

and why are people trying to change the dogmas of Smash? up to 4 characters on a 2D plane building their opponent's damage trying to knock each other off.

This is something that should't ever change
2.5D is a mixture of 2D planes with 3D visuals. See New Super Mario Bros. Wii or even better, all three Smash games.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
@ the Geno Argument, the major reason is that he was in a Nintendo game, but was a character created by Square (kind of like how the Street fighter EX characters were made by Arika), which hurts his chances. this doesn't hurt his chances completely, but the fact that he doesn't appear in the Mario Sports series-which have Sqeenix characters in it- doesn't help, either.

anyway, here and now, i will reveal the obligatory WTF character in the next game(s):

in 64, it was ness.

in Melee, it was mr. game & watch.

in Brawl, it was R.O.B.

and in the next game(s), its.....

Mike friggin' Jones.

D

Deleted member

@lordvaati: I don't think a single title has been released in Japan regarding the Startropics series and the last one was North American-exclusive, back in March, 1994. The chances of that happening is very low.

Takamaru (My personal choice) is more likely and would be better for Smash.

eathrock

Smash Rookie
Mario series: No one.

Zelda series: It is fine. If anything, Midna and/or Tingle to replace Toon Link.

Donkey Kong series: No one.

Kid Icarus series: It is fine. If anything, Medusa.

Kirby series: No one.

Yoshi series: No one.

Fire Emblem: Not sure.

F-Zero series: No one.

Star Fox series: It is fine. If anything replace Wolf with Slippy.

Ice Climbers series: No one.

Earthbound series: No one.

Pokémon series: Pokémon Trainer with different Pokémon. Lucario/Mewtwo and/or 5th Generation Pokémon.

Pikmin series: No one.

Metroid series: Ridley and/or Mother Brain.

Wario series: No one.

Sonic series: No one.

Metal Gear Solid series: No one.

Game and Watch series: No one.

ROB series: No one.

No More Heroes series: Travis Touchdown

Golden Sun series: Issac

Punch Out!! series: Lil Mac

Animal Crossing series: Tom Nook and/or Mr. Resetti

Viewtiful Joe series: Viewtiful Joe

The Legendary Starfy series: Starfy

Sin and Punishment: Saki

Xenoblade Chronicles series: Shulk

3rd Party - Prince of Persia (Prince), Resident Evil (Jill Valentine) or Call of Duty

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819

Mike friggin' Jones.
YES

I'm actually looking forward to the next WTF character. I love that Sakurai included characters like G&W and R.O.B....Hell, imagine getting the pixelated 2D version of E.T. from his fantastic game. :p

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
@ the Geno Argument, the major reason is that he was in a Nintendo game, but was a character created by Square (kind of like how the Street fighter EX characters were made by Arika), which hurts his chances. this doesn't hurt his chances completely, but the fact that he doesn't appear in the Mario Sports series-which have Sqeenix characters in it- doesn't help, either.

anyway, here and now, i will reveal the obligatory WTF character in the next game(s):

in 64, it was ness.

in Brawl, it was R.O.B.

Mike friggin' Jones.
As much as I like Startropics (good *** game) I can't see Mike Jones taking out Takamaru and Sukapon. I just can't. Esp. since he uses a bat and a yoyo like ness (but he does have torches and his **** cleets).

Viewtiful Joe series: Viewtiful Joe
He's 3rd party.

3rd Party - Resident Evil or Call of Duty

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
@lordvaati: I don't think a single title has been released in Japan regarding the Startropics series and the last one was North American-exclusive, back in March, 1994. The chances of that happening is very low.

Takamaru (My personal choice) is more likely and would be better for Smash.
the intresting thing with that is they could do a reverse case of what Melee and Brawl did (introducing Japanese characters to the US) with him. plus, Mikey is the most left feild Nintendo character that comes to mind (sans that dog), plus the last pre-uprising game in the KI series was 1992, so I think he still has a good chance, even more so since it's 2 games coming out for the series.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord

in 64, it was ness.

in Brawl, it was R.O.B.

Mike friggin' Jones.
That would be a WTF character. I got another one that would be good.

Nintendo Power Mascot, Pilotwings Extrodinare, Nester!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@post #1991: Here are some of my statements...

The Mario series can probably have one more character. Toad and Bowser Jr. are the best picks for that 5th slot.

The Donkey Kong series may see Dixie and K. Rool being added.

I don't think removing Wolf is a good idea. He is Fox's rival, especially in his debut in Star Fox 64.

Zoroark will probably be Lucario's replacement.

I don't exactly like the idea of involving more M-rated franchises into the mix. Solid Snake is enough.

Also, one too many 3rd parties.

PG-13

Smash Cadet
Honestly I can see Bowser JR. getting in, but not Toad. He is a move for Peach, so that kinda already includes him. Although then again Peach could get a new move to replace Toad and Toad get be a character, but I don't see it happening.

D

Deleted member

@earthrock: Cutted out all I agree with.
Mario series: No one. What about Bowser Jr. or Paper Mario? Both have a somewhat decent chance of getting in, the latter is likely.

Zelda series: It is fine. If anything, Midna and/or Tingle to replace Toon Link. Midna and Tingle would not be good Zelda reps. If we get anything new, Toon Link will be replaced with Young Link.

Donkey Kong series: No one. What about King K. Rool or Dixie Kong? Both have a good chance of getting into SSB4.

Star Fox series: It is fine. If anything replace Wolf with Slippy. Heck no, what would Slippy do? Krystal is much, much more likely and really is the only Star Fox character with a much of a chance to get in. If anyone new gets in, it's going to be her.

Pokémon series: Pokémon Trainer with different Pokémon. Lucario/Mewtwo and/or 5th Generation Pokémon. We don't need to change Pokemon Trainer, nor do we need a 5th gen Pokemon Trainer. Zoroark/Genesect are far more likely.

Metroid series: Ridley and/or Mother Brain. I can only see Ridley getting in.

No More Heroes series: Travis Touchdown Would be cool, but unlikely.

Golden Sun series: Issac More likely then not handheld exclusive, but I'll accept this.

Animal Crossing series: Tom Nook and/or Mr. Resetti I don't think Animal Crossing reps are coming. Beside, they'd be a waste anyway.

Viewtiful Joe series: Viewtiful Joe Viewtiful Joe's chances are very poor. If any Capcom rep gets in, it's going to be Mega Man

The Legendary Starfy series: Starfy I'll accept this under the same condition as Issac.

Xenoblade Chronicles series: Shulk I very much doubt we'll be seeing Xenoblade rep in this game.

3rd Party - Resident Evil (Jill Valentine) Refer to what I said about Viewtiful Joe.

or Call of Duty The fail is...
Seriously, Call Of Duty will never appear in SSB4 or any SSB game period.

D

Deleted member

i haz the 2,000 post
lordvaati said:
the intresting thing with that is they could do a reverse case of what Melee and Brawl did (introducing Japanese characters to the US) with him. plus, Mikey is the most left feild Nintendo character that comes to mind (sans that dog), plus the last pre-uprising game in the KI series was 1992, so I think he still has a good chance, even more so since it's 2 games coming out for the series.
- Sakurai is from Japan, Sora Ltd. is from Japan, Nintendo originated in Japan. I highly doubt they're going to do the reverse and introduce a Nintendo character not in Japan yet.

- You're forgetting something. Pit had a huge request to be in the game and many people wanted him in, whereas Mike doesn't. They're going to favor popularity in terms of who gets in and who doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom