• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
That's a clever idea. I would have never thought of that. But, that aside, Toon Link and Young Link were better choices. Young Link represents MM and OoT which is one of the most popular and well recieved games of all time. Toon Link was a good idea just because he represents the whole "Cell Shaded" arc in LoZ. I mean, I like Majora, and I like Vaati, but they aren't the smartest picks of the bunch.
I don't see the different Links as needing separate representation. But if you want a cell-shaded representative, Tingle could hold down both cell-shading and spinoff/support roles. Vaati could be another villain and cell-shaded too.

Yeah, I'd argue that Zelda as a series needs to develop some other characters long term.

Skull Kid has been in three games with pretty good development, Majora's Mask fleshed out his personality more than other characters in the series, really. Then with smaller appearances in OoT and TP, it built on that. If he appears again, it could really work.

A cooperative Zelda would be cool with Link and Skull Kid.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Oh you're still on about that weird song?

What the hell? when I direct my attention towards specific individuals (Hoots and Omega), all of a sudden you guys all want to be critics, but when I put it plainly NO body listens? (Star)

I won't let it stop me from being creative though. LOL, Geno lovers gonna hate.
_

Oh, thank you Barbosol ;)
W/e. I don't know why you've got to be salty like that. I'm crushed.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I hate the idea of Duck Hunt Dog being a playable character. Sure, he'd be great on a Duck Hunt stage where he laughs at you when you get KO'd, but playable...? Just because they're iconic doesn't mean they NEED to be playable. Just look at Toad.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
^^Yes! That would make for an awesome stage. :)

Deku Nut, Seed Shooter, Deku Leaf. :p Then when Brawl rolls around, gets luigified with magic.
Dunno, to me I'd rather have a unique character than a copy. Toon Link is nice, but I don't like the idea.
Good point. With all the weapons Link uses, it shouldn't be that hard to have 2 versions of the same character without being clones.

Now as for the other Zelda clone character...

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I don't see the different Links as needing separate representation. But if you want a cell-shaded representative, Tingle could hold down both cell-shading and spinoff/support roles. Vaati could be another villain and cell-shaded too.
I think people would have less of a problem with characters like Toon Link and Paper Mario if the execution of these characters weren't so terrible in the past. Toon Link and Mario are great characters within themselves, but how they play in the SSB world is usually a different story. I mean, Toon Link does NOT need any of the same weapons as regular Link, yet he does. He as a character is probably the best pick, but the way he ended up being executed is a major turn off.

Yeah, I'd argue that Zelda as a series needs to develop some other characters long term.
Agreed. Tingle is like, the only character who's had some major development besides the Links, the Zeldas, and the Ganons.

Skull Kid has been in three games with pretty good development, Majora's Mask fleshed out his personality more than other characters in the series, really. Then with smaller appearances in OoT and TP, it built on that. If he appears again, it could really work.
Characters like Skull Kid, Midna, and Zant have a good backgrounf to them, but the problem with a lot of these smaller characters is that they either show up only once, or show up with a smaller and smaller role each time they reappear.

Until Zelda really decides to develope some new characters, and keep them on for a few games with decently sized roles, Tingle and Toon Zelda/Tetra are who I feel are the smartest picks for a fifth LoZ character. Although I would argue that TZ would be a clone, which is never fun.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I aint salty, I'm surprised, not salty.

I don't know why folks think I'm coming from an angry place when I tell it like it is.

Seriously, did any of you critique my Operation Connect Post? My Half a page responses to worthwhile mentions? My latest video when I asked you to?

Doubtful at best. Disappointing? Yes, but I aint mad.
What ever happened to Fatmanonice and his idea??

:phone:

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
No love for Sheriff? He was the first Nintendo Protagonist... I actually had an idea of Excite Biker being a newcomer I don't know how it would work though being on a bike and all.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
This place is turning into a daytime drama. lol

I'm going back to old Phoenix.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
No love for Sheriff? He was the first Nintendo Protagonist... I actually had an idea of Excite Biker being a newcomer I don't know how it would work though being on a bike and all.
Is it anything like Custards revenge

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I think SmashChu brought up the idea of Sheriff before in our discussion group. He looks a lot like G&W right?

Yeah, here he is. He would be a cool WTF character, if he got a revamp, and didn't look like Game and Watch. Two 2D characters is too much for me.

....Just wait till he messages you forty times in two days because he doesn't agree with the topic you chose....

D

Deleted member

But the reality of the situation is, it happens in a lot of games. So, that's that. Without the clones, Melee's roster probably wouldn't be as well represented as it is.
Melee would be fine had it just gotten twenty characters. Ganondorf could have waited until Brawl which could have given him an unique move set. We did not need five more clones in the game just to beef up the roster.
"Shortiecanbrawl said:
Again. Not talking about how characters play. Pichu was one of the best choices from the second generation. The only other super popular characters I can recall were the starters and legendaries.
Characters should be picked not only because they represent Nintendo history but because they can bring something new to the game that would attract people to them (AKA unique move set). Pichu completely failed to deliver on the latter as it was a weaker clone of Pikachu with it's only gimmick being that it damage itself when you do a Special Move, making the character totally useless (Even Mewtwo was more useful in fighting).

Oh and he was a joke character. Joke characters who can't fight worth a flip should not be playable in any Smash game ever (Jigglypuff was regarded as one, but at least he had an original move set and could actually fight). You may think he was a good choice, but I though he was the worst choice Sakurai has ever made for a playable character. As a matter of fact, I would go as far as to say that he caused instability with the Pokemon roster.
Shortiecanbrawl said:
That's probably the biggest assumption ever made. Clones exist. we get it. But again, I'm not talking about how the characters play. I'm talking about why they were chosen and what they represent. Dr. Mario didn't deserve to go onto Brawl, you're right. But you can't say he was apoor choice for a clone, when he encompassed a whole genre.
Alright, reasons why they were chosen:

- Pichu: To represent the 2nd gen. They should have either planned a better 2nd gen rep like Suicune like with the rest of the non-beefed up characters or not have one at all. Lucario is a different case because he's actually useful in fighting.

- Dr. Mario: To represent the puzzle genre. Lip would have done that much better with an unique move set.

- Roy: In there for advertisement. He was advertised for a game that didn't release outside of Japan. Sure it helped sales but characters should not be placed in a Nintendo All-Star game just for advertisement.

- Young Link: We did not need a variation of another character that played similarly. Zelda could have done well with just two reps.

- Ganondorf: The only good choice to bump up. Even so, he should have been either the only character out of the five to make it with an unique move set or have fans wait until Brawl to be unique.

If Sakurai wanted to have 25 characters in Melee, he should have delayed the game to 2002 to get five more unique characters in.
Shoritecanbrawl said:
These reasons alone are why the Brawl roster wasn't as good as Melee's.
My problem with Melee is that they decided it was a good idea to add lots of clones in the game. More characters is nice but not if they end up being cut-worthy materials like Pichu. This is why I am of the opinion that it is not the number of characters that make a good roster, but what the characters is. As such, I would be fine with just eight newcomers I expect to be in the game. I really do think that eight newcomers in Melee would have still been good. The fact that we got four cuts in Brawl shows that beefing up the roster just to add characters is not necessary.
R.O.B. Was a cool WTF character, anybody see Duck Hunt Dog as one?

Duck Hunt Dog is a good choice for the next unexpected character. However, after the hate R.O.B. got, I imagine the developers may avoid doing a "WTF" character. If Duck Hunt Dog is playable, while a good choice, it's not a choice that will be well-received. Let's hope Sakurai is bold enough to pull this trick again as he represent Nintendo's history. Also, are there any movesets for the characters? I'm curious to see how he would play.

OmegaXXII

Haha, that's how I was!! But now I'm just gone so mad that i've resorting to posting random stuff in this thread lol..

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
SSBF: Your arguement is all based on how bad the character picks were because they were clones. Clones happened. End of story. Each character that was a clone was a good pick. That's what I'm saying.

D

Deleted member

Omega, I'm on that page there with you dude.

The only thing I'm truly salty over is holding out for SSBFan's response. I probably wouldn't be so active if not for that.
I'd like to see the half-page response you've made. Sorry that I missed it.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Aiyyo aiyyo, while my people were climbing trees, looking dark as hell, and flinging poo at each other, where the hell were you??

Roots nukka!
My people were plucking hearts out of each other to sacrifice to gods.

Agreed, it's one of the most memorable trailers in gaming history. Soild Snake in Smash Bros. WFT?! :cool:

I think they should keep a similar format just replace,

Meta Knight - Little Mac
Pit - Ridley
Z.S. Samus - Issac
Wario - Mii
Snake - Mega Man?
From the above order.
Ridley
Takamaru
Krystal
Toad
Jill Valentine

Smash WiiU will not be limited by the Smash 3DS.
Funny you mentioned that because it MIGHT be limited by Smash 3DS.
http://www.nowgamer.com/features/1000225/wii_u_uncovered.html

Miyamoto evidently said that the 3DS can be used as a controller for the WiiU. If anything, this could mean the permanent removal of any kind of mechanic that required pressure sensitive buttons as Sakurai isn't looking to give any one controller a particular advantage due to the game's competitive nature.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I haven't been paying attention to this at all, but what's been going on with the support groups that people had talked about forming already? =P

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'm not sure where to go with our little groups. It's a lot harder to get support for a game that has hype, but not MASSIVE hype like it will by next year. I know in order to do anything, we need support now, which is going to be hard to get.

Meta Knight(Popular Series Newcomer) - King K. Rool/Ridley
Pit(Revamp/Retro) - Takamaru/Another Retro
Z.S. Samus(Female/random character) - Krystal/Caeda
Wario(New Franchise) - Tom Nook/Little Mac (Hopefully Kanan or Shulk)
Snake(3rd Party) - Jill Valentine

I find it hard to guess which "Retro" character will pop up in Smash, because they always seem to just be extremely random, or not random, but picked for reasons the public doesn't have knowledge about. Third parties are less hard to figure out, but seeing as how Snake got in as a favor, and Sonic got in "because he was popular", our only hope for Jill Valentine is, Nintendo asks Capcom for a character and they say. Megaman is oust. Jill has Revelations coming up, and already was in mercinaries, Jill in!

Which Jill Look would you prefer?

[COLLAPSE="Revelations, or Mercenaries?"]
[/COLLAPSE]

Here's a video showing off Jill's weapons/Moves in Mercenaries. But I can tell you right now, Revelations is going to be awesome. The setting combined with the 3D makes it pretty freaking scary. It's the only Resident Evil I've ever wanted to buy. She'll have a lot of weapons to use there as well.

OmegaXXII

Funny you mentioned that because it MIGHT be limited by Smash 3DS.
http://www.nowgamer.com/features/1000225/wii_u_uncovered.html

Miyamoto evidently said that the 3DS can be used as a controller for the WiiU. If anything, this could mean the permanent removal of any kind of mechanic that required pressure sensitive buttons as Sakurai isn't looking to give any one controller a particular advantage due to the game's competitive nature.
I found this part very interesting.

In what ways will this provide an experience different to other multiplayer games?

The actual controls are very unlike other portable games and are made to be extremely simple but at the same time allow for fast-paced action. Therefore, it is not a game where you sneak around, taking cover, but instead a high speed action game. The dodge move, which you perform by quickly flicking the stick to evade enemy fire, is extremely important.

In many FPS-type games, you can change your equipment but the character still has the same capabilities. In this game, you of course have different types of weapons, but it also affects your character’s capabilities, for example their movement speed. This would be like changing character type in Smash Bros.

Each weapon, even if it’s of the same type, has unique properties, and in both single and multiplayer whether you win will depend on how well you can make use of those properties and form strategies using them.

Also, in the multiplayer, there is a rule called ‘Angel’s Descent’. This is where the last player on the opposing team becomes a strong angel, and the team that defeats the angel is the winning team. This gives the players a unique game where they can enjoy different styles of play, like going up against the enemy as the angel yourself, or where the team members protect the player who has become the angel as they run away, or where the angel could even hide, and let the other team members handle it.

You’re developing a new version of Smash Bros. for Wii U. How do you intend to take advantage of the console’s unique controller?

I will think about this once Kid Icarus is complete. But as it is a game of a competitive nature, I do not think that any one person should have an advantage.

Smash Bros. Brawl was a complete experience. What can any sequel offer in addition to that game?

There are many things that can be improved upon even in Brawl. Also, I think you can base your expectations of the new Smash Bros. once you see how well-made Kid Icarus is. The director of each game is the same, but because I regularly change my team around after projects, we will be able to see how good the team is then.

There can’t be many high-profile Nintendo characters left to add to Smash Bros. Who’s left that you’d like to include?

That is completely undecided, but it is true that Nintendo has not created many new characters lately.
According to this he seems to notice and indeed acknowledges that it will very much play competitively, this might mean he won't just appeal to casuals like Brawl was.

---------------------------

I also found this interesting:

The only solid detail about Smash Bros. is that it will be released alongside a 3DS edition that will interact with the Wii U version in some yet-to-be-announced way. In a private press conference, Miyamoto later conceded what this announcement suggested; that the 3DS could be used as a controller for Wii U.

Whether that means utilising the 3DS screens for Wii U gameplay functions in lieu of the console’s not-to-be-sold-separately controller remains to be seen, however.
I guess the 3DS might be in conjuction with The Wii-U as a controller, therefore Iwata mentioned that both Smashes will have "this" interaction, pretty interesting indeed, would this limit the Wii-U in any way? Hmm...

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Wii U Smash a huge improvement

One of you may have posted this some pages ago, not sure. I just know the pages go by fast here. http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=16027
Masahiro Sakurai spoke recently about the upcoming Smash Bros. games for Wii U and 3DS and promised that they will be better than anything we have seen before.

There are apparently many aspects of Brawl that could be improved upon and once we see the high quality of Kid Icarus on 3DS, we will realize just how great the new Smash Bros games could possibly be.
Sakurai say's
There are many things that can be improved upon even in Brawl. Also, I think you can base your expectations of the new Smash Bros. once you see how well-made Kid Icarus is. The director of each game is the same, but because I regularly change my team around after projects, we will be able to see how good the team is then.
The last piece is most interesting.

When asked about new characters, Sakurai couldn't go into specifics because they hadn't discussed this yet but it could be assumed that they will mostly be similar to Brawl as Nintendo "has not created many new characters lately."
If we only recieved say 10 new characters but everyone got reworked and very unique from each other I would be happy.

OmegaXXII

I just posted that! <_<

But I can see maybe 12 at most getting in since most of them are already in, just a couple like K.Rool, Ridley suggest that they will probably be in since Sakurai doesn't have much to go by as far as character choices go according to his statement.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Indeed you did. For some reason I glanced over it and didn't think it was the same thing.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think Nintendo needs a new cartoon animal franchise,

Long forgotten is those days...

OmegaXXII

Yea, I miss those Mario cartoons they used to do, I don't know if they were officially licensed by Nintendo though, but they had quite a few of them, I also loved the classic Sonic one's, too good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom