• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fobmescs

Smash Cadet
I would like to add Mario characters to Smash Bros. 4.

Mario, Luigi, Dr. Mario, Bowser, Bowser Jr., Peach, Daisy, Rosalina, Wario, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Yoshi, Birdo, Dixie Kong, Funky Kong, Toad, Toadsworth, Toadette, Lakitu, Goomba, Koopa Troopa, Hammer Bro., King Boo, King K. Rool, Waluigi

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Drought, Chlorophyll being a new ability for it. Super fast, super bulky, and good amounts of offensive power makes it an automatic choice for any sun team, especially with access to Sleep Powder at such a high speed stat after the boost is a godsend.

:phone:
This is the kind of insanity that happens when I am out for most of a new generation.

You people and your drought Venusaurs

I'm glad Conkeldurr is doing better than Scrafty though. It was looking like the opposite for a while back.

Edit: Most of my team seem to be doing well

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
This is my realistic choice

Mewtwo
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer
Victini

Lucario should get scrapped, add mewtwo, trade Pokemon Trainer for Gary or N and never consider Zoroark lol..

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I hope you don't think I meant that Venusaur got Drought.

Ninetales does, which is why its OU now. Venusaur abuses that drought with Chlorophyll.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Ninetales does, which is why its OU now. Venusaur abuses that drought with Chlorophyll.

Oh, k than.

Misread. That seemed kind of weird.

OmegaXXII

Man, I'm confused with you guys talking about all these new abilities, I enjoyed it when simple moves like Surf, and water gun were the only moves around, my last gen game I played was Johto based.

I really need to get into the newer one though, I'm missing out bad. :urg;

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

lol. The new Dream World abilitys and Eviolite heavly change the tiers, and weather is more dominate then ever. :awesome:

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Eviolite only effected the tier positions of Porygon 2 being better than Porygon Z and Dusclops being better than Dusknoir. That's it.

Drizzle and Drought on Politoed and Ninetales are the only absolutely game changing DW abilities. Weather is Gen V's metagame.

D

Deleted member

Mario, Luigi, Dr. Mario, Bowser, Bowser Jr., Peach, Daisy, Rosalina, Wario, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Yoshi, Birdo, Dixie Kong, Funky Kong, Toad, Toadsworth, Toadette, Lakitu, Goomba, Koopa Troopa, Hammer Bro., King Boo, King K. Rool, Waluigi
Oh god no. Anything over 12 (Mario and sub-series) is too much (Not including Diddy and Dixie Kong if they team up).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Eviolite only effected the tier positions of Porygon 2 being better than Porygon Z and Dusclops being better than Dusknoir. That's it.

Drizzle and Drought on Politoed and Ninetales are the only absolutely game changing DW abilities. Weather is Gen V's metagame.

When it comes to using the weather, Kyogre is basically a beast. STABbed Water Spout, along with Drizzle makes it so that Kyogre can 1-hit KO almost anything. If its health drops below 65%, alternate to Surf (I dislike Hydro Pump, due to its unreliable accuracy). Thunder always hits, thanks to the rain, and Ice Beam is for those Dragon-types.

In double battles, the Drizzle ability helps out Pokemon like Ludicolo, Kingdra, Floatzel, and Toxicroak, who each have abilities that utilize the rain.

With that out of the way, getting back on-topic.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

That is way too many characters for the entire game, let alone the series.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Well I was about to suggest what we should do for Link's design? Should he strictly have his Skyward Sword design or should he have his Wii U tech demo look?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Just sayin, Kyogre is banned and so is having Drizzle and Swift Swim mons on the same team.

Does not apply :3

Okay I'm done with mon talk now *leaves*

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
Well I was about to suggest what we should do for Link's design? Should he strictly have his Skyward Sword design or should he have his Wii U tech demo look?
He could have Skyward Sword as his main look and his tech demo appearance as an alternate costume.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Wait... can someone explain Sakurai's quote regarding new characters? Did he mean that the roster size wi be similar to Brawl or that the new characters will be chosen in a similar fashion? If it's the former, I will say goodbye to you guys now, because I sure as hell wont give a **** about a Smash with hardly any newcomers.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Wait... can someone explain Sakurai's quote regarding new characters? Did he mean that the roster size wi be similar to Brawl or that the new characters will be chosen in a similar fashion? If it's the former, I will say goodbye to you guys now, because I sure as hell wont give a **** about a Smash with hardly any newcomers.

He was just admitting that Nintendo has not created many new series. He isn't even thinking about characters at this point according to him.

From what I gather he will be more focused on smaller series and relevant one shot characters.

That's not a tech demo is supposed to be a new game.

Actually it is a tech demo. The real "Zelda Wii U" may not even look like that.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
Mario
Mario
Peach
Bowser
Luigi
Bowser jr/Toad Drop Paper Mario or Bowser Jr./Toad
I think six Mario reps can fit in a roster of at least 48 slots, although it's kind of pushing it around that number.

Come to think of it, Brawl's first trailer is going to be a tough one to beat.

Probably CAN'T be beaten.

Freaking Snake, man. No one expected that.
Brawl's trailer was awesome and unique. Melee's was re-used for the opening, which sort of diminished it's awesomeness, IMO. However;

Melee Opening >>>>> SSB64 Opening >>> Brawl Opening

I think they should keep a similar format just replace,

Meta Knight - Little Mac
Pit - Ridley
Z.S. Samus - Issac
Wario - Mii
Snake - Mega Man?
If I were Nintendo, my choices for a Smash Bros. 4 trailer to build real hype are:

King K. Rool (antagonist)
Little Mac (he's not retro, but he's got that retro type of appeal; retro-ish character)
Ridley (new Metroid character)
Isaac (new franchise character)
Megaman (third-party character)

Again, those are choices I would make for the sake of hype. Because seeing those five would probably make the day for any Smash Bros. fan.

While you guys debate, I'm busy throwing out signatures for whomever. I'm bored and feeling creative. :|

I requested a signature previously since you were asking. :)

An image of the Super Mario Bros. level 1-1 in the background. In front of image, Yoshi on left side of sig and Luigi at right side of sig. In the center, some cool writing.

(I'dsuggestsomethingelse,butIwouldlosemydignity...)

Question, what characters are you expecting to make the cut as a playable character? This is my answer:

- Victini
- King K. Rool
- Ridley
- Little Mac
- Medusa
- Isaac (I only expect Saki if we don't get universal roster)
- Bowser Jr.
- Takamaru

@Oasis_S: I believe that it can be done without it looking too dysfunctional.
Exactly what you put.

@Starphoenix: Wow, that is incredibly similar to the intro in the game. The only major difference is that the announcer doesn't shout the name and that it shows Sheik is one of the parts instead of Zelda.

Either way, I'm hoping they don't do a trailer like that again. I guarantee you that if the Internet was as big as it was back in Brawl, there would be more fans disappointed with how Melee turned out then Brawl. We can all agree that Brawl's roster was better then Melee's, right?
Wait, you know the trailer would not be the complete same as Melee's trailer, right?

StarPhoenix was probably referring more to the cinematic quality of the trailer. Although I do think Brawl's trailer was bit better, Melee really did achieve that "all of Nintendo is coming together" feel. The lack of just so many expected veteran characters in the Brawl trailer was a little disappointing.

As for which roster was better, both made some odd or lousy choices:
Melee Roster
  • Clones for the sake of more characters (although at least Ganondorf and Pichu were good choices if you just look at them as character additions without complaining about their clone status)

Brawl Roster
  • Unnecessary removal of Mewtwo
  • A third Star Fox character that was a semi-clone and whose place could be taken by a new franchise or a more deserving character; he can stay now that he's here, but couldn't we have gotten better?
  • Only four Mario reps.
  • Only one new modern Nintendo franchise (Pikmin)

Both games had problems with their rosters. I hope SSB4 does a better job of handling the roster.

Oh don't be such a negative nancy. What I enjoyed was the cinematic value of the original Melee opening, sure it ended up being the intro. Still it was one of the best animations for the Gamecube.

It conveyed the idea that these Nintendo series were about to crossover.
This.

Duck hunt Dog seems like the mostly like WTF retro character, I kind of want Takamaru as the new retro rep though the Sheriff would be cool too I doubt anyone would expect that one.
Duck Hunt Dog is so requested, iconic, popular, and hated at the same time he is nowhere near a WTF character unless they show off a really inventive moveset for him.

Sheriff I would support as a retro character, even if he appeared in pixelated form.

Considering Rolling Western is one of few new truly unique IPs Nintendo's made recently, his representation of Nintendo's awakening DLC service, his moveset potential, and his mildly growing popularity for Smash Bros. before his game is even released, I think he'd be a great candidate for an SSB4 character.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

It implies that he's gonna be looking into older games for new playstyles.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
As for which roster was better, both made some odd or lousy choices:
Melee Roster
  • Clones for the sake of more characters (although at least Ganondorf and Pichu were good choices if you just look at them as character additions without complaining about their clone status)

Brawl Roster
  • Unnecessary removal of Mewtwo
  • A third Star Fox character that was a semi-clone and whose place could be taken by a new franchise or a more deserving character; he can stay now that he's here, but couldn't we have gotten better?
  • Only four Mario reps.
  • Only one new modern Nintendo franchise (Pikmin)

Both games had problems with their rosters. I hope SSB4 does a better job of handling the roster.
Good point. At least now we can all go agreeing now that 64's roster was the best; and hoping that that SSB4 can match it. :awesome:

D

Deleted member

OmegaXVII said:
This is my realistic choice

Mewtwo
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer
Victini

Lucario should get scrapped, add mewtwo, trade Pokemon Trainer for Gary or N and never consider Zoroark lol..
With the exception of changing Pokemon Trainers, this one is very realistic. Providing that the original stays or goes to 2nd, 3rd, or 5th gen, I would be ecstatic.
Starphoenix said:
Either is fine for Link. I'm much more concern about how Zelda/Sheik/Ganondorf will look in the almost guarantee chances they return.
Hoots said:
A slight chance the game will receive considerably less newcomers, but then again, slight chance. Sakurai will more likely do one or both of these things:

- Focus more on popular suggestions like Ridley and King K. Rool.
- Switch his focus on more obscure series like Sin & Punishment.

I'm expecting a mix of both. To be honest, I don't think relevancy will play as much of a factor as it did in Brawl, giving the dwindling amount of deserving newcomers (I can name of only twelve and only four of those being necessary). It'll still play a role in deciding characters meaning that totally irrelevant characters will likely be kept out but I imagine Sakurai being more lax on the relevancy standards he may have.
JavaCroc said:
If I were Nintendo, my choices for a Smash Bros. 4 trailer to build real hype are:

King K. Rool (antagonist)
Little Mac (he's not retro, but he's got that retro type of appeal; retro-ish character)
Ridley (new Metroid character)
Isaac (new franchise character)
Megaman (third-party character)

Again, those are choices I would make for the sake of hype. Because seeing those five would probably make the day for any Smash Bros. fan.
This is the best way to do a five characters reveal. King K. Rool, Little Mac, Isaac, and especially Ridley are the newcomers for SSB4 that people want; all of which receive next to no oppositions (Not counting trolls in Ridley case). Mega Man is a very highly requested third-party character and among the most wanted characters in Smash for SSB4, so he's also a great choice.
JavaCroc said:
Considering Rolling Western is one of few new truly unique IPs Nintendo's made recently, his representation of Nintendo's awakening DLC service, his moveset potential, and his mildly growing popularity for Smash Bros. before his game is even released, I think he'd be a great candidate for an SSB4 character.
I have to agree, Jiro would make a great newcomer for SSB4 and represent the DLC games. Hopefully, Sakurai will consider him.
--- said:
Good point. At least now we can all go agreeing now that 64's roster was the best; and hoping that that SSB4 can match it.
This. All choices were good.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I requested a signature previously since you were asking. :)

An image of the Super Mario Bros. level 1-1 in the background. In front of image, Yoshi on left side of sig and Luigi at right side of sig. In the center, some cool writing.
I'm sorry, I did not know you requested something earlier. Here you go though:

OmegaXXII

@Hoots: I think Sakurai meant the inclusion of mainstream characters, j
I'm are Layton falls under 3rd party category and not as an actual Nintendo character.

TL OWNS U

Smash Apprentice
They should really use characters from the old Final Fantasy games like the Blue Mage or Moogie (please make it happen)

OmegaXXII

Moogle? Why does everybody seem to suggest such a generic character as him? If anybody from Square it should either be Slime, Slime &Chocobo team or Geno although I would rather have Sora althogether anyway.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
The tech demo probably has absolutely nothing to do with the game itself, which I doubt is even in developement. I brought this up a while ago. I don't thik anyone else feels that Zelda is in a very weird situation. Toon Link and Young Link are back in competition, and we have no Ganon in the latest game. On top of this we have a ****ton of different styles we will have to look at for all of the candidates.

It implies that he's gonna be looking into older games for new playstyles.
Can you elaborate on this?

D

Deleted member

For those still interested in the alliances created a few days ago, I created an over-arching site that supports this plan. It won't cover just one site, it'll cover all sites.

Here it is, made by me. Right now, it's in an infant stage with nothing added except links to others place in regards to SCAM (Smashboard's Character Alliance Movement). I want this to be a site where everyone can contribute to it and a site that supports the following alliances:

- Project Unova
- Project Begnion
- Operation Hoenn Rising
- Ruffian Forever
- The Toad Bridgade
- The Kremling Krew
- The Strong Team!
- Panel De Pwnage

I'm going to try to work on a site and get an entry up for all sections. Constructive criticism is absolutely appreciated and needed. Tomorrow, I'll make a social group.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
edit out 10

Edit Edit: I thought you said Sonic, that would have been a horrible decision. Sonic in a Mario game, LOL

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The tech demo probably has absolutely nothing to do with the game itself, which I doubt is even in developement. I borhgt this up a while ago. I don't thik anyone else feels that Zelda is in a very weird situation. Toon Link and Young Link are back in competition, and we have no Ganon in the latest game. On top of this we have a ****ton of different styles we will have to look at for all of the candidates.
This kind of thing makes me wonder if we're gonna see a distinct style in the upcoming Smash 4. IMO, Brawl's felt it was lacking and the only character I felt had a sense of style in his design was Fox as everyone else looks more like their game counterparts with details added.

D

Deleted member

How to make Alliances?
It's simple. Make an alliance for a character not already done (Victini, King K. Rool, Lip, Black Knight, Toad Slime and Chocobo, and Saki Amamiya have already been started by others) by forming a social group and getting a blog up on Bloggers.

Note that if you make one, you are expected to be committed to it and to be actively pushing for it in order to even hope for anything to happen. I would also heavily advise working with SCAM, a site that I recently form that over-arch all these alliances so that we can organize and work together to get all of these characters in, although it is not absolutely necessary.

Note that if you wish for your alliance to not be part of this, tell me and you can opt out. I wouldn't recommend doing this but if you feel you don't need us, I won't stop you.
KumaOso said:
This kind of thing makes me wonder if we're gonna see a distinct style in the upcoming Smash 4. IMO, Brawl's felt it was lacking and the only character I felt had a sense of style in his design was Fox as everyone else looks more like their game counterparts with details added.
To be fair, I think Pit had a distinct style in appearance. Very distinct. So did R.O.B.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Do you think that Smash Bros ever had a general sense of style? I mean, I think you could argue that Melee had some sense of a collective style. Even if it was slightly oversaturized and bright. Brawl had some weird moments. I think Toon Link looks weird.

OmegaXXII

Distinct design is something I would definetly like to see in Smash 4, as well as originality when it comes to character movesets as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom