• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well I'm for any new FE character, and I have no doubt in my mind that FE will get 3 slots.

If Star Fox can get 3 slots, by that math FE should have 6; as the FE series has twice as many games and remakes, and has more relevancy.

Heck I already made a moveset for both the Black Knight and Cadea. lol

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Hiyaa guys, did I miss something? :3

Anyway, here's one thing I want to ask your opinions about. Back at GameFaqs some guys were badly against Lip and stated that she's much less likely than Animal Crossing rep- shortly she's impossible before impossible.

Here's the reasons why she can't make it in SSB4:

- She's not used anymore in the series (By being the main character, just using her for cameo purposes, that means she's been thrown to a corner and it's too late for her to get revived at all.)
- She's not popular/banned in US (always taken out in fear of making Puzzle League girly and bishoujo in America), and that GREATLY lowers her chances. (Sakurai tries to lower JPN-only characters as playables)
-It seems like we're fascinated about Japan and it's content too much (anime, manga, Japan-exclusive games/characters), and don't emphasize on international releases of Nintendo-games.

I was prompted to give up on her chances of inclusion, even if I'm one of her biggest supporters.
What do you think of these statements, and are they really a good reasons to show that she's too unlikely for SSB4?

Greave

Smash Apprentice
NNID
P-Duck
Dang son, are you really supporting Waluigi that bad??

I hate to break it to ya but, he has no chance at it plus he's not deserving enough, but tbmhat cat would make a great AT just for lulz :awesome:

:phone:
The Walliance is mostly just trolly fun. While I would enjoy seeing Waluigi in Smash4, I do understand his chances to get in.

On a more relevant note, Smash does need more villains. Counting transformations (like I always do), there are 31 good guys, 5 bad guys, and then Wario, ROB, and GaW, who don't really fall under either.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
Black Knight would be cool(especially considering the countless inevitable 'only a flesh wound' jokes that would be said if he was playable). But do we really need another slow and heavy sword character, especially if they declone Ganondorf?
I'm not even sure I'd classify Ike as a heavy, he's 21/39 in terms of weight. Black Knight would definitely rival bowser for heavy-weight, Black Knight could have an interesting playstyle being the ultimate tank, low movement ability and jumps. And while Ike has wide sweeping attacks, while Black Knight is far more precise. He could use stabs or javalin throws for very powerful precision strikes.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I want Daisy to be in SSBU, I don't care if she would be a semi-clone of Peach.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Well I'm for any new FE character, and I have no doubt in my mind that FE will get 3 slots.

If Star Fox can get 3 slots, by that math FE should have 6; as the FE series has twice as many games and remakes, and has more relevancy.

Heck I already made a moveset for both the Black Knight and Cadea. lol
That's not really a fair assessment. In Fire Emblem, there are so many characters that change throughout the games that none of them become super important, hence the difficlty in deciding a third rep. Starfox not only is more iconic than Fire Emblem, it's characters are very memorable. Anyone who didn't live under a rock during the N64 days know who Fox, Falco, Slippy, Peppy, Wolf, etc.are. Ergo, regardless of how many games FE has, none will ever be as loved as Starfox64. So my point is, you can't really make comparisons like that. Donkey Kong has only had about three good games (4 if you count Returns), but the franchise still deserves 3 slots.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Hiyaa guys, did I miss something? :3

Anyway, here's one thing I want to ask your opinions about. Back at GameFaqs some guys were badly against Lip and stated that she's much less likely than Animal Crossing rep- shortly she's impossible before impossible.

Here's the reasons why she can't make it in SSB4:

- She's not used anymore in the series (By being the main character, just using her for cameo purposes, that means she's been thrown to a corner and it's too late for her to get revived at all.)
- She's not popular/banned in US (always taken out in fear of making Puzzle League girly and bishoujo in America), and that GREATLY lowers her chances. (Sakurai tries to lower JPN-only characters as playables)
-It seems like we're fascinated about Japan and it's content too much (anime, manga, Japan-exclusive games/characters), and don't emphasize on international releases of Nintendo-games.

I was prompted to give up on her chances of inclusion, even if I'm one of her biggest supporters.
What do you think of these statements, and are they really a good reasons to show that she's too unlikely for SSB4?
Lip really hasn't earned a slot in Smash. While she isn't a HORRIBLE character, there are just so many better choices. Maybe if we got a 75 character roster, but until that day, I doubt it.

Edit: FUUUUUUU. Couldn't ANYONE post before I posted again?! Come on guys!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I know there are many more deserving characters that should get in first, (Stafy or Lil Mac for example), but c'mon, you really think she's that worthless? To appear like in SSB6 or something with random generic Nintendo-characters and maybe playable enemy characters to boot?

I'd call that as Super Smash Bros Leftovers.

Just say, she's as deserving as the other good characters like Takamaru not yet in Smash- she's not a random NPC who's just inpopular.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
The Black Knight sums up the villains of Fire Emblem in it's entirety. In the vast majority of cases, enemy bosses have been the Knight/General classes which of course, Black Knight is. He's also the primary villain in the Tellius series, which is the second most major Fire Emblem series. Since Marth's villain won't work in a Smash setting, Black Knight is the only option.

"Hasn't had a game since 2007?"

Last Games:
Captain Olimar- 2004
Ganondorf- 2006
King K Rool- 2007
Takamaru- 1986
Krystal- 2006

:)
That's cool and all but unlike Black Knight, all the other series you cited don't revamp and change characters every 2-4 games.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
I think there was talk about Mewtwo having a file for his own victory theme. Which makes sense, both Meta Knight and Mewtwo have different tones than their series' light and cheerful default theme.

I can see positives to having everyone being unique, but bringing together series characters is also appealing.... so I could be happy with both.
I think it would sound cool to hear an excerpt of the Black Knight's theme for his victory rather than a generic Fire Emblem victory, or to win a match with Ness and hear his proper victory theme while Lucas can retain the not-so-great Brawl victory theme.

But I can also see the benefits to unfiying all franchise characters in one with one victory theme.

I think the best way to handle victory themes would be as Fatmanonice suggested.

They should just keep it simple and just have the villians have their own themes. One of the first complaints that I had about Melee back in 2001 was that Bowser had the same cheery theme as his arch enemy, Mario.

It's too early for alliances but, from the posts that some people have made, it's clear who's going to lead the more popular ones if they decide to stick around here until next E3.
Oasis: Ridley
Psycho: Sukapon
SSBFan: Victini
berserker: Toad
Mario_&_Sonic guy: Zoroark
Me and Barbasol: Black Knight/Zelgius

If I remember right, the ten biggest alliances from Brawl on here were:

1. Geno
2. Megaman
3. Ridley
4. Wolf
5. Olimar
6. Krystal
7. Ashley
8. Sonic
9. Diddy Kong
10 Mewtwo
Actually, this is really the only period of time when an Alliance WOULD DO ANYTHING., Think about it, this is when Nintendo actually decides the roster. What's the point of doing it two years into development aside from fervour and disappointment.
I barely know whats going on, but because everyone's forming alliances, i will too!

The Psychic boys alliance: Deflect This!

Ummm, is that what was meant to happen?
Alliances, eh?

Consider myself a member of the Ridley, Zoroark, and Victini alliances.

Not sure what sort of alliance I would make. Captain Syrup?

Can someone explain why Lyn lost all of her support suddenly after Brawl?

Black Knight would be cool(especially considering the countless inevitable 'only a flesh wound' jokes that would be said if he was playable). But do we really need another slow and heavy sword character, especially if they declone Ganondorf?

Wow, Now that you mentioned Monty Python with the Black Knight, I may be more supportive of him all of the sudden. :awesome:

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
@nLiM8d: I don't care about Takamaru, he just happened to be in the quote LOL.

Can me, hoots, SSBF, and Kuma be the alliance of "Stop Posting Bull****"?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
@Iblis/Hoots/Barbasol/anybody:
Whats the deal with takumaru or whatever his name is.
Why should I give a
squirt
about that character?
Takamaru is from the Japan-only sister-game to the original Legend of Zelda. (Like Kid Icarus was to Metroid). Supposedly his game is one of Sakurai's favorite old games, and Sakurai had said that if Takamaru had (appeared?) in another game then he would reconsider him for Smash. Takamaru appeared in Samurai Warriors 3 (which came to the US, so in a way he's no longer Japan-exclusive) and I believe is getting a 3D re-release on the 3DS. THAT'S why people consider him as the most likely retro character.

Anyway, as for what he'd bring to the roster, his flavor of swordsmanship would feel different than the rest. He is a trained Eastern swordsman, after all. He also has plenty of items from his game to use in his moveset. Ninja stars, fireballs, lightning, invisibility, and sandals that let him run on water.

IT FEELS WEIRD SPOUTING THIS STUFF FOR HIM SINCE I'M NOT A HUGE SUPPORTER OF HIM, but whatever.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
No, because you might actually end up introducing some logic into this thread, you know how that goes

BTW, again that response was more than enough to rid my mind of that thought.
Logic doesn't exist, derp. Look at my words and believe.

Takamaru is from the Japan-only sister-game to the original Legend of Zelda. (Like Kid Icarus was to Metroid). Supposedly his game is one of Sakurai's favorite old games, and Sakurai had said that if Takamaru had (appeared?) in another game then he would reconsider him for Smash. Takamaru appeared in Samurai Warriors 3 (which came to the US, so in a way he's no longer Japan-exclusive) and I believe is getting a 3D re-release on the 3DS. THAT'S why people consider him as the most likely retro character.

Anyway, as for what he'd bring to the roster, his flavor of swordsmanship would feel different than the rest. He is a trained Eastern swordsman, after all. He also has plenty of items from his game to use in his moveset. Ninja stars, fireballs, lightning, invisibility, and sandals that let him run on water.

IT FEELS WEIRD SPOUTING THIS STUFF FOR HIM SINCE I'M NOT A HUGE SUPPORTER OF HIM, but whatever.
Wut de hell

Barbasol

Smash Ace
Takamaru has however issues that may cost him his spot, unlike all other Retro roster choices, he is, as Oasis mentioned, Japan-Only, and he's only had one game. So, time will tell.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Takamaru has however issues that may cost him his spot, unlike all other Retro roster choices, he is, as Oasis mentioned, Japan-Only, and he's only had one game. So, time will tell.
Is he...? He's in Samurai Warriors 3. Like, as a playable character. In a whole mode that's based off his game. I doubt many would even know he's a Nintendo character, but still, he's had exposure to the US audience.

@nLiM8d: I dunno. San Francisco? I guess what I mean is, he'd probably feel like some anime swordsman that only makes quick and deliberate attacks, because that's easier to draw.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
Is he...? He's in Samurai Warriors 3. Like, as a playable character. In a whole mode that's based off his game. I doubt many would even know he's a Nintendo character, but still, he's had exposure to the US audience.
Yeeaaahh, I gueeeess. I could actually see Koei wanting to buy the IP for the character, since he's like the first Samurai. Anyway, yeah, he did garner some exposure there, but that's not Nintendo showing interest in their own IP, but simply lending it to another franchise.

Who knows, maybe. I just don't count on Lip, Sukapon, Mike Jones, or Takamaru since they are Retro, Region Specific, and have few games.

More broad range retros are like Duck Hunt Dog, Little Mac, Mach Rider, etc. Which is what we have seen before. Retro characters are a niche as is, so it seems odd to hack the fanbase down even more to get only Japanese AND nostalgia fans.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
More broad range retros are like Duck Hunt Dog, Little Mac, Mach Rider, etc. Which is what we have seen before. Retro characters are a niche as is, so it seems odd to hack the fanbase down even more to get only Japanese AND nostalgia fans.
I think Little Mac and Takamaru would even things out quite nicely. Little Mac just screams AMERICA whereas Takamaru screams JAPAN. We've been getting two retro characters for the past two games anyway. OMG PATTERN?!??!!1

Also. Duck Hunt Dog. Gross.

@nLiM8d: Well, the weeaboos would love him.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
That's not really a fair assessment. In Fire Emblem, there are so many characters that change throughout the games that none of them become super important, hence the difficlty in deciding a third rep. Starfox not only is more iconic than Fire Emblem, it's characters are very memorable. Anyone who didn't live under a rock during the N64 days know who Fox, Falco, Slippy, Peppy, Wolf, etc.are. Ergo, regardless of how many games FE has, none will ever be as loved as Starfox64. So my point is, you can't really make comparisons like that. Donkey Kong has only had about three good games (4 if you count Returns), but the franchise still deserves 3 slots.

This is a long post.
While I will admit some of the characters aren't as memorable, and I was wrong about making such a comparison, but having 3 slots for clones of an almost dead franchise is a waste (Nintendo recently said if 64 3DS didn't sell well, they're canning the Star Fox series). As for FE, series only recently came to the U.S. so we missed out on more than half the franchise; so your statement about Star Fox 64 is a little bias.

Going back to Japan, the other audience for Smash. FE is much larger there then Star Fox. FE has more games, an anime, a TCG, Action Figures, Artbooks ect. So Star Fox isn't as liked over there, in comparison to over here.

I also don't think how many good games a franchise has really matters as thats more opinionated. Also if we did it by that logic, FE would still beat Star Fox due to reviews of the games in both Japan and the U.S.

As for deciding characters for FE in comparison to Star Fox is not that hard. There have been several unique FE characters that have appeared in more then 2+ games (it's a long list). Unlike Star Fox where all the characters for the most part only fight in Arwings and in Smash are all clones.

People are asking for the Black Knight since he has appeared in 2 FE games that both made it over to the U.S. He also embodies the spirit of the many General class bosses of FE. He was even brought up by Sakurai during the devlopment of Brawl.

As for Cadea, she as been in 4 FE games, is quite important in Marth's games and is his wife, has major fan support in Japan, and was in the most recent FE game here in the U.S. and Japan.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
NOT TRUE. DK64 was the shizz and it had an emulated version of the original Donkey Kong Which his difficult as **** with the N64 controller.
Oh, I love DK64. I wasn't including DKC3. It was pretty mediocre at best. They made stuff challenging artificially through gay gimmicks instead of intelligent level design like in DKC2.

Edit: Speaking of gay, I lol'd at the Marth learning his swordfighting in sanfransisco comment. Good stuff.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Supposedly Ike is actually the gay one. My girlfriend says there are loads of hints at it in the game. Something about Ike and a dude(?) named Soren going off to live in the mountains together.

Incidentally she hates Caeda for making Marth canonically hetero, so I just can't support Caeda ever.

Greave

Smash Apprentice
NNID
P-Duck
Supposedly Ike is actually the gay one. My girlfriend says there are loads of hints at it in the game. Something about Ike and a dude(?) named Soren going off to live in the mountains together.

Incidentally she hates Caeda for making Marth canonically hetero, so I just can't support Caeda ever.
I will never look at Ike's sword, nor any of his quotes the same way again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom