• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Of course I am, why you may ask?

Because it would offer the convenience of transferring content between the two, like characters that would probably be 3DS exclusive, extra unlockable modes, trophies, costumes, music etc... There's alot that connectivity between the two that they would benifit from, no need to make them the same exact game.
I meant just exusive characters sorry. You said a universal roster would seem lazy and uncreative but if they add 3ds exclusive characters that can be transferred over, that seems cheap and unfair. It seems like a get rich quick scheme: in order to enjoy ssb4 in it's entirety, dish out 100 dollars (40 for 3ds version and 60 for wiiu) not including system costs. While the game is well worth the price tag that idea is both unfair in these economic times and a slimy move from nintendo who aims to make their games accessible to everyone. Not only that but if everything (everything you mentioned besides characters) could be transferred, then the 3ds version would only act as a way to unlock the whole game on the wiiu and since it would have virtually nothing to set it apart, it would become useless.

IMO the rosters should be the same and all exclusives should remain that: exclusive meaning non-transferrable. The two devices could connect and interact in different ways than just unlocking parts of the wiiu version

:phone:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Here are some of my favorite remixes from Brawl:

Angel Island Zone
Battle Scene / Final Boss (Golden Sun)
Butter Building
Castle / Boss Fortress (Super Mario World / SMB 3)
Ending (Yoshi's Story)
Fire Field
Hidden Mountain & Forest
Marionation Gear (love love LOVE this!)
Norfair
Preparing to Advance
Tal Tal Heights
Title / Ending (Super Mario World)
White Land
Tunnel Scene (X)

Something I've observed is how the stages have been shrinking with each new game. They started out massive in Smash 64, now some of them are tiny in comparison. Don't know if it is actually the stage or the size of the character models?

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I meant just exusive characters sorry. You said a universal roster would seem lazy and uncreative but if they add 3ds exclusive characters that can be transferred over, that seems cheap and unfair. It seems like a get rich quick scheme: in order to enjoy ssb4 in it's entirety, dish out 100 dollars (40 for 3ds version and 60 for wiiu) not including system costs. While the game is well worth the price tag that idea is both unfair in these economic times and a slimy move from nintendo who aims to make their games accessible to everyone. Not only that but if everything (everything you mentioned besides characters) could be transferred, then the 3ds version would only act as a way to unlock the whole game on the wiiu and since it would have virtually nothing to set it apart, it would become useless.

IMO the rosters should be the same and all exclusives should remain that: exclusive meaning non-transferrable. The two devices could connect and interact in different ways than just unlocking parts of the wiiu version

Hmm.. You brought up a good ponit and i see where you are coming from, what I mainly see as transferable characters are the specifically the Mii's obviously if you have your Mii on your Wii-U system and want to transfer him over than putting it that way would surely make sense.

The only other reason I say rosters shouldn't be universal is because of the 3DS's limited processing and handling, if the Wii-U version were to end up with 49/50 characters, do you honestly believe the 3DS will be able to handle it all including everything that's on the Wii-U version as well? I doubt it, from what I see the Wii-U's capabilities will surpass those of the PS3, even worse for the 3DS.

SwayneGang

Smash Journeyman
I have 2 character suggestions: KOS-MOS from Xenosaga, and Shantae, the half-genie. They could both have unique movesets for themselves.

OmegaXXII

I have 2 character suggestions: KOS-MOS from Xenosaga, and Shantae, the half-genie. They could both have unique movesets for themselves.
KOS-MOS sounds like a very cool character, I love Xenosaga, and cant wait for Xenoblade for the Wii. (yes I'm optimistic)

Unfortunately for her, she's a 3rd party character, even if she's technically owned under Nintendo, she would be better of representing Sony but then again the same can be said for Snake.

..and who's Shantae?

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
@omega
The 3ds as it is right now can handle brawl in it's entirety and will still have about a gig of unused memory. Many people have stated that characters don't take up a lot of space. So yes I am inclined to believe the current ideas we are throwing around for the wiiu version can fit on the 3ds.
With that being said I think EVERYONE in this thread is underestimating the power of the wiiu. Iirc the wiiu discs can handle 25 gigs. That's enough for almost 4 brawls. If the wiiu is stuffed to the brim in content much like brawl was then there is no way the 3ds can handle it.

Yea miis can be transferrable but people like issac or starfy (if they were to get in)

D

Deleted member

@disfunshunal: The fact being is that we did not get forty-one characters in Brawl. Also, just because the 3DS is more powerful then the Wii does not guarantee that in an universal roster, we will get over forty slots.

Because Sakurai may have other things in plan and he may not think too highly of expanding the character roster. If his plans means 35-40 slots, lots of single-player contents, and a SSE bigger then that of SSE without compression, he isn't going to compress just to add characters that we want. If he plans on going universal on the roster with the same roster o on the 3DS, Sakurai will not give up more then that. Putting exclusives on the Wii-U prevents Sakurai from using the universal roster as an excuse.
When people say "I think there will be a universal roster" they're saying "I think there will be ~50 characters on both versions" not "Less than 40 on both versions." You need to keep that in mind. What does console power have to do with roster size? Do you think they're going to be ports or something? The 3DS version is going to have a lot of what the WiiU version has, it's just going to have worse graphics. ("Worse" being Wii graphics, which isn't even that bad) Each version will be built separately, but under the same direction. MEMORY is the important part, and considering Brawl could have had plenty enough room for ~50 characters on its disc if it had been compressed, the 3DS version, with a cart the same memory size as a double layer Wii disc, will have just as much room. It is entirely possible to fit ~50 characters on the 3DS version.
You are assuming that most people think of 45-50 character slots with universal roster, which I disagree with. I don't see many people stating this, so this is purely your interpretation. Most of the time, when I see people talk about universal roster, they think about a 35-45 slot roster. People do not think as highly of this as you think and they certainly realize the consequences of us getting universal roster. As for those who expect 45-50 slots on the 3DS and Wii-U, I still think that's too much.

Smash will be 2.5D on both systems. Trust me, power will play a difference in the overall roster of SSB4, even if it's universal.

I am assuming that both versions are most different from each other with the exception of characters/stages.

How the hell is having a ~50 character roster on both versions neglecting the aspect of Smash that allows you to play as all your favorite characters? And I'm not arguing for version exclusives, silly. That's like, the complete opposite of a universal roster.
You do realize that we are on different pages when it comes to expectations in regards to universal rosters, right? You expect ~50, I only expect 35-40 slots. Put yourself in my shoes before stating misinterpretations like that.
Notice I always say "~50" and not "50ish." I thought it was well known that the ~ when used like that stands for "approximately." My expected roster size range is 46 - 51 total. 51 being what I would say is the maximum, 48 being what what I expect, and 46 being a satisfactory minimum amount I suppose. And if you think he will compress it, giving him BUNCHES more space, (plus I thought you just said you thought he wouldn't...?) what makes you think he won't use that space for characters?
I personally regard approximately and 50ish as the same thing. Also, like I said, we don't know if Sakurai will take the time to properly compress the game to get characters in. I'm sure if he does, we'll get a mid-40s roster, but there is no telling whenever or not he does that.

SwayneGang

Smash Journeyman
KOS-MOS sounds like a very cool character, I love Xenosaga, and cant wait for Xenoblade for the Wii. (yes I'm optimistic)

Unfortunately for her, she's a 3rd party character, even if she's technically owned under Nintendo, she would be better of representing Sony but then again the same can be said for Snake.

..and who's Shantae?

KOS-MOS is 2nd party, I thought.

And this is Shantae
http://shantae.net/images/shantae_main.png

D

Deleted member

So, what do you think of this Elec Man remix? This is my favorite Elec Man theme so far.

As for Shantae, her chances are extremely low as she receives like no requests for SSB4. However, her games are critically acclaimed and the sequel is considered among the best games you can find on the DS, plus she would be very unique, so I can see why you want her in.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I'm working on a blog on boss characters and I want to know what characters you like in this list. Also I need help with ideas in some of the genres (Donkey Kong, Pokemon, etc). This is what I got so far. The ones being picked with have a lot more details about them.

Mario
- King Boo
- Koopaling Gauntlet
- Kamek
Zelda
- Vaati
- Gohma
- Twinrova
Metroid
- Mother Brain
Kid Icarus
- Medusa
- Twinbellows
Starfox
- Andross
- Pigma
- General Scales
Kirby
- Dynabird
F-Zero
- Deathborn
Others
- Mike Ty…Mr. Dream (Punch Out)
- Condor (Ice Climbers)
- Ashnard (Fire Emblem)

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
@disfunshunal: The fact being is that we did not get forty-one characters in Brawl. Also, just because the 3DS is more powerful then the Wii does not guarantee that in an universal roster, we will get over forty slots.

Because Sakurai may have other things in plan and he may not think too highly of expanding the character roster. If his plans means 35-40 slots, lots of single-player contents, and a SSE bigger then that of SSE without compression, he isn't going to compress just to add characters that we want. If he plans on going universal on the roster with the same roster o on the 3DS, Sakurai will not give up more then that. Putting exclusives on the Wii-U prevents Sakurai from using the universal roster as an excuse.
Portables are for more on the go gaming. Why would sakurai make an 8 hour story mode even longer for on the go gaming. also show me where he says he doesn't want to expand the roster. Not where he says he doesn't want to just expand the roster but where he says he doesn't like the idea of adding more characters. Also show me that sakurai has a habit of not compressing his games before we jump to the conclusion that ssb4 wont be compressed. You talk alot about how smash is a fan service game and how sakurai does things sometimes based mainly on fan support but then turn around and say he'll ignore the demand for more characters? Do you really think sakurai would limit the wiiu version to such extremes? If he wants to expand the series this is not the way to do it. You should believe that if a universal roster would mean an extremely watered down wiiu version he wouldn't do it and iirc you dont have a 3ds yet and so far it hasnt been pushed to it's limits so you are blindly undermining it's power. You need more faith lol

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
So, what do you think of this Elec Man remix? This is my favorite Elec Man theme so far.

As for Shantae, her chances are extremely low as she receives like no requests for SSB4. However, her games are critically acclaimed and the sequel is considered among the best games you can find on the DS, plus she would be very unique, so I can see why you want her in.
Have you heard this one yet?

SwayneGang

Smash Journeyman

She was a last-minute idea for my fantasy roster, to be honest. Plus, she's a female character, which Smash Bros. needs more of. And like you said, she could have a unique moveset all her own.

OmegaXXII

@omega
The 3ds as it is right now can handle brawl in it's entirety and will still have about a gig of unused memory. Many people have stated that characters don't take up a lot of space. So yes I am inclined to believe the current ideas we are throwing around for the wiiu version can fit on the 3ds.
With that being said I think EVERYONE in this thread is underestimating the power of the wiiu. Iirc the wiiu discs can handle 25 gigs. That's enough for almost 4 brawls. If the wiiu is stuffed to the brim in content much like brawl was then there is no way the 3ds can handle it.

Yea miis can be transferrable but people like issac or starfy (if they were to get in)
Don't you mean the 3DS??

The problem is though that even if compression were to happen Sakurai will probably want offer and focus on single player, rather than multiplayer like the Wii-U, if that were to be the case, then I don't see why he would include every character from the Wii-U version, the single player modes take up ALOT of space and considering it's on the 3DS; IMO Sakurai won't bother to include everyone if it means giving the 3DS version a single player experience.

KOS-MOS is 2nd party, I thought.

And this is Shantae
http://shantae.net/images/shantae_main.png
I agree with SBBFan, she is unlikely to happen, she isn't a heavily requested character like Ridley or Bowser Jr., maybe as an AT.

What Megaman game is this from? What game do you recommend as far as classic goes?

Hey guys, I'm working on a blog on boss characters and I want to know what characters you like in this list. Also I need help with ideas in some of the genres (Donkey Kong, Pokemon, etc). This is what I got so far. The ones being picked with have a lot more details about them.

Mario
- King Boo
- Koopaling Gauntlet
- Kamek
Zelda
- Vaati
- Gohma
- Twinrova
Kid Icarus
- Medusa
- Twinbellows
Starfox
- Andross
- Pigma
- General Scales
Kirby
- Dynabird
F-Zero
- Deathborn
Others
- Mike Ty…Mr. Dream (Punch Out)
- Condor (Ice Climbers)
- Ashnard (Fire Emblem)
What do you mean by this list? As playable characters? Anyway here's what I like (in Red)

Also I'd suggest

Fire Emblem:
The Black Knight

Pokemon:
Giovanni

F-Zero:
Black Shadow

DK:
King. K. Rool

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
What joke? *smirk*

Anyways, K. Rool as a boss? Yeah, not happening, considering he's never actually been massive as a boss, except after transforming in that abomination DS game or whatever.

Might I suggest King Zing instead?

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Considering you have a Donkey Kong Country Returns video I'm going to guess it is from there.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Crashboards hacked my account...great job, MLG.

The music is not from Donkey Kong Country Returns, although I'm hoping this final boss music finds its way in somehow...despite the boss being generic as hell, the theme is on par with anything from Super Mario Galaxy.

And yeah, my apologies...although I have seen K. Rool requested elsewhere. For the most part, bosses should be large characters, rather than characters the size of those playable. Unless a mini-boss genre is established, outside generic large SSE enemies.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
You're kind of going off on a lot of assumptions here: Sakurai may not want to expand the roster, Sakurai may want to build off the SSE (which itself assumes he wants to add the SSE to the 3DS version), Sakurai may plan out a story mode before considering characters. Sure, I'll concede that they're all possibilities, but that's why we judge how likely possibilities are. I mean, It's pretty safe to assume he would expand the roster. We know Sakurai plans on having a single-player focus on the 3DS version, but that doesn't mean SSE 2. I'm not really sure where you're going with this compression stuff. He would have to plan the story around the characters he had already planned? The story is going to fit around the characters.

You are assuming that most people think of 45-50 character slots with universal roster, which I disagree with. I don't see many people stating this, so this is purely your interpretation. Most of the time, when I see people talk about universal roster, they think about a 35-45 slot roster. People do not think as highly of this as you think and they certainly realize the consequences of us getting universal roster. As for those who expect 45-50 slots on the 3DS and Wii-U, I still think that's too much.
I can assure you it is not purely my interpretation. The only people I see misinterpreting the universal roster concept, and promoting different rosters for different versions, are a few on here. Also there's no consequence of getting a universal roster other than having ~50 characters (oooh see below) on both systems, lol.

Smash will be 2.5D on both systems.
Oh for goodness' sake. :/

Trust me, power will play a difference in the overall roster of SSB4, even if it's universal.

I am assuming that both versions are most different from each other with the exception of characters/stages.
The versions are surely going to be very different from each other. Roster size surely wouldn't be one of those differences. The differences would probably be graphics and content. You said yourself characters is what people enjoy the most. If the 3DS version can have all the characters from the WiiU version, then why the hell not?

You do realize that we are on different pages when it comes to expectations in regards to universal rosters, right? You expect ~50, I only expect 35-40 slots. Put yourself in my shoes before stating misinterpretations like that.
Slots?
I'm pretty sure I said I expect 48 total characters, not slots. SINCE YOU MEAN SLOTS then I expect 44 slots.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
What joke? *smirk*

Anyways, K. Rool as a boss? Yeah, not happening, considering he's never actually been massive as a boss, except after transforming in that abomination DS game or whatever.

Might I suggest King Zing instead?
I like the King Zing idea. I'll put it on the list.

OmegaXXII

Sonic Series:
Dr. Evo Robotnik Eggman

Megaman:
Dr. Wily

I would love to see those two using their machines and such to take out Megaman and Sonic, I could definetly see Robotnik as an SSE Boss.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Yeah, King Zing would be cool and unique in that you attack the stinger because the rest would be a constant hurtbox.

Unfortunately, Tiki Tong is more likely (I believe that was the DKCR endboss).

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Yeah, King Zing would be cool and unique in that you attack the stinger because the rest would be a constant hurtbox.

Unfortunately, Tiki Tong is more likely (I believe that was the DKCR endboss).
Really? I would think it would be any boss from DKCR -except- Tiki Tong, considering he does so little to differentiate himself from Master Hand himself, who will inevitably be in there. Who knows...maybe the giant robot chicken will show up or something.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Hmm I'm curious on how characters like Bowser or Captain Falcon would be able to fight him. He would be very difficult with melee base characters.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
He doesn't have to be fought the same way as in his boss battle...if anything, I can see him becoming some variant of the existing Porky boss (although I would prefer something less generic).

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
@omega
Take all the events brawl had(41), classic, all star, sse, boss battles, multiman, targets, sandbag, and anything else I forgot. Now if we're talking about just beefing all this stuff up than the 3ds can handle it all plus 45 slots IMO.

It seems like I wont be able to fully convince you or ssbf that the 3ds is a powerful device. It is more on par with current gen than the wii is but I guess a lot of people are still in that "see it to believe it" mentality since this is a fairly néw concept. This will be my last post on the subject since were just going in circles and it's starting to bore me

Chris the Ripper

Banned via Administration
Hey guys!Good football practice.
I just had to cry a few minutes ago in the realisation of how much I suck at it and life.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
I noticed a nice Boss list so I figured I'd try to think up some too...

Fire Emblem
- Mad King Ashnard on the Laguz dragon Rajaion.

Custom Robo
- Rahu

Pikmin
- Empress Bulblax

Starfy
- Ogura

Advance Wars
- Sturm on Mega Tank

Sonic
- Robotnik on his classic Ball & Chain machine :p

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Back from Drumline practice.

Idk why Eggman isn't a SSE boss. They can do so much with the Egg Carrier/Death Egg/Space Colony ARK

ARK would probably be the best since it could connect Sonic and Samus both being in space.

OmegaXXII

Back from Drumline practice.

Idk why Eggman isn't a SSE boss. They can do so much with the Egg Carrier/Death Egg/Space Colony ARK

ARK would probably be the best since it could connect Sonic and Samus both being in space.
Agreed, no one here seems to listen, except you. ;)

I'm gonna go own right now so....

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
My views on rosters are changing a bit as this universal roster discussion continues.

May I ask what source you're talking about in your post?

Even if it turns out it's fake, it's a pretty epic theme, and I'd like it for Master Hand.
It's not a real leak, but I want to see how long it takes for someone to find the source of the music.

D

Deleted member

Pretty much done with arguing with Oasis_S. I have no motivation to continue it further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom