• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

@JordantheGiant: It means the roster is the same on both versions.
Have you heard this one yet?
Yes I have. It's a great remix.
Best boss theme. I hope this is implanted as the Final Boss music.
What Megaman game is this from? What game do you recommend as far as classic goes?
I think this is from Mega Man: Powered Up!. I can't really make much recommendations since I haven't played all of the Mega Man games, although I do know a ton about him and his games. I have played 1, 3, 5, 9, and 10. Of those, I would say 10 is my favorite.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
This universal roster concept feels a bit ignored...personally, I tend to use a Murphy's Law mentality when Sakurai is involved. He has made so many mindless assumptions about what Smash fans want, I don't put it past him to shaft characters for single player.

:phone:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Pretty much done with arguing with Oasis_S. I have no motivation to continue it further.
Well it was a discussion that needed to be had. :3

JordantheGiant said:
Alright sorry, but what exactly does a "universal roster" mean/entail?
A universal roster means having the same roster on both versions of the game. So if the WiiU had, say, 48 total character, then the 3DS would have 48 as well. No version exclusives.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
@JordantheGiant: It means the roster is the same on both versions.Yes I have. It's a great remix.Best boss theme. I hope this is implanted as the Final Boss music.I think this is from Mega Man: Powered Up!. I can't really make much recommendations since I haven't played all of the Mega Man games, although I do know a ton about him and his games. I have played 1, 3, 5, 9, and 10. Of those, I would say 10 is my favorite.
I've only played the beta version of 10, it's alright, but i'd rather try out the one's for with the SNES look.

I have to go check your thread.

D

Deleted member

I'd like to ask everyone a question; which one do you think are the most serious issues for SSB4?

For me, it's the characters and online. Other things I can easily see Sakurai deliver on (Better balancing, making the game feel new, lots of new contents, etc.). I can see better online, but I am not 100% confident that the online will meet our expectations (Which is a reason why I'm part of Operation: Connect, to help ensure that the online meets our expectations). And as for the characters, you know how much I worry about it.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Balancing and mechanics. Everything else I stopped caring about once I hit competitive play but it shouldn't be crap either.

I doubt he would make it crap though, Brawl shows he loves his casuals.

Oh and the stage list has to be respectable, less over gimmicky stages that over centralize on that gimmick and if you fail to focus on it you get severely punished or lose a stock.

99.9 of the GCC return answered. All it's missing is the Z button!

OmegaXXII

Stage legality? not so much,
Online? YES!
Characters: I bet I'm worried!!
Balancing: eh..somewhat.

The thing I want about Online is NO LAG, lobbies, leaderboards, DLC content, mic chat/voicetalk, no freaking disconnection just because someone dropped out, and most importanly NO LAG!!!

I have hopes that Sakurai and team have already noticed Brawl's online flaws and now that they have the power of the Wii-U at their disposal, plus past experimenting with the Wii; there's no excuse for Sora to screw up this time.

D

Deleted member

Surprised that no comment has been made concerning the "New Gamecube Controller" Image I posted.
Honestly, I don't really care about the lack of a Gamecube controller support for the Wii-U. Sorry, but I don't understand the problem with dropping it.

@Oasis_S: While I don't think that Ridley as a playable character is the most serious issue about SSB4, I will say that when it comes to specific characters, he is the most serious, because of the slight possibility of Sakurai's biasness getting in the way plus being among the most requested Nintendo character.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Tbh. I'm not actually sure. :-/

I wonder if Nintendo could do that if it's not offical.

@SSBF: GCC is considered Nintendo's best recent controller by many people. Dropping it is a bad move. You must of not seen the backlash Nintendo got when they announced the discontinuation of making GCC controllers. Now Play-Asia is making a killing off of selling their brand of GCCs.

Ninja'd by Barbasol

D

Deleted member

Tbh. I'm not actually sure. :-/

I wonder if Nintendo could do that if it's not offical.

@SSBF: GCC is considered Nintendo's best recent controller by many people. Dropping it is a bad move. You must of not seen the backlash Nintendo got when they announced the discontinuation of making GCC controllers. Now Play-Asia is making a killing off of selling their brand of GCCs.

Ninja'd by Barbasol
I have seen the backlash, but I really don't see why it's a bad move at all nor worthy of the backlash. It was inevitable that they would do this anyway.

OmegaXXII

Outlash eh? I would have liked to seen that.

I bet if Nintendo doesn't come up with anything I'm sure a 3rd party like Mad Katz will have a solution to this as Smash is meant to be played with a GNC controller IMO.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
It's not a real leak, but I want to see how long it takes for someone to find the source of the music.

Not that long.

Simba Confronts Scar - Lion King (Original Broadway Cast)

Too bad it's owned by Disney and isn't from a video game. I'd love this song as a boss theme.

99.9 of the GCC return answered. All it's missing is the Z button!

Cool. Although I can easily adapt to a new control scheme and wouldn't care if the GameCube controller didn't return in some form, I do like it simply because I've used it since Melee.

D

Deleted member

JavaCroc said:
Simba Confronts Scar - Lion King (Original Broadway Cast)

Too bad it's owned by Disney and isn't from a video game. I'd love this song as a boss theme.
I have to agree, it is truly amazing and would have been perfect as the next Final Boss theme. Oh well, at least it exist.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
It's a bad move because the control scheme was good. You don't see other successful console makers deviating from the original scheme. If anything they improve. Just like how the 64 controller to GCC was an improvement.

To make matters worse they didn't even discontinue the 64 controller! LOL, talk about backwards.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
The inclusion of Ridley is the most serious issue fans should be worrying about.
@Oasis_S: While I don't think that Ridley as a playable character is the most serious issue about SSB4, I will say that when it comes to specific characters, he is the most serious, because of the slight possibility of Sakurai's biasness getting in the way plus being among the most requested Nintendo character.
In my opinion, Ridley is the most deserving character for SSB4.
  • Metroid is in desperate need for a new rep.
  • Ridley is immensely popular as a new SSB4 character
  • His many, many game appearances - particularly in the more recent Metroid titles - make him completely relevant to his series and to gaming in general.
  • He has undisputed importance in the Metroid series.
  • He has very obvious moveset potential. There could be some difficulties with working with him (walking animations, for example) but everyone has found solutions to every possible problem he could have with a moveset.
  • THE SIZE ARGUMENT DOES NOT AND SHOULD NOT STOP HIM!!!!!

Ridley for SSB4 if not anyone else but the Brawl veterans.

Other characters I feel are deserving are Little Mac, Toad, and Isaac. (I realize Toad's chances aren't great)

@Bkupa:
I downloaded the song with Youtube to MP3 Downloader and identified it with AudioTag.

I believe I've found my first Broadway song for my iPod music collection. :)

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I have reached the conclusion that there is no argument against Ridley that isn't purely subjective, especially after Sakurai claimed his team could make Ridley work despite his size/awkward design/etc.

He missed Brawl because the characters that people wanted in Melee had priority over him. But there's no one character that can reasonably be added instead of him, let alone a full roster of them. Subjective, but well-accepted as an opinion.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I'm just going to toss this out here...

I've made a ROUGH estimate that the data for a 50 (total) character roster (on the 3DS version) would take up (AGAIN, ROUGHLY) 800 MB.

[collapse="My process behind this estimation"]I found the ripped ISO data on mediafire, and it was IN A WAY where you could view it without having to download it.

So, I assumed Bowser would take up quite a bit of space compared to other characters. I couldn't be ARSED to go through each character's folder and add up each file's size, so Bowser's data size would have to do as a sort of average, only instead of an average he would be more like an UPPER LIMIT to what the character data could amount to.

ANYWAY, Bowser's models/textures/animations took up roughly 15 MB of space. Multiply that by 50, and you get 750 MB. "effects" (I assume particle effects?) took up only 5 MB for every character in Brawl. Final Smashes had their own folder, and they took up a negligible amount as well. I couldn't find character sound data. Maybe they were with the rest of the character data? I'm not sure. BUT surely rounding 750 MB up to 800 MB would be enough space to include sound data? It's just a bunch of seconds long grunts after all.

SHOULD A HACKER COME BY THIS, maybe they could let me know if 800 MB is enough space for purely character data for 50 characters.

(And please note I was going for the higher end of the range to show how little space they take up!)[/collapse]

EDIT: Oooh, I don't want to miss supporting Ridley. Aside from the arguments for him PREVIOUSLY POSTED, there's also the fact that Ridley would be one of the few BIG NAMES left to add to Smash. You could find LOADS of lesser-known, less-popular characters, but Ridley is one of the few iconic, recognizable, important, popular, demanded characters left.

D

Deleted member

In my opinion, Ridley is the most deserving character for SSB4.
  • Metroid is in desperate need for a new rep.
  • Ridley is immensely popular as a new SSB4 character
  • His many, many game appearances - particularly in the more recent Metroid titles - make him completely relevant to his series and to gaming in general.
  • He has undisputed importance in the Metroid series.
  • He has very obvious moveset potential. There could be some difficulties with working with him (walking animations, for example) but everyone has found solutions to every possible problem he could have with a moveset.
  • THE SIZE ARGUMENT DOES NOT AND SHOULD NOT STOP HIM!!!!!

Ridley for SSB4 if not anyone else but the Brawl veterans.

Other characters I feel are deserving are Little Mac, Toad, and Isaac. (I realize Toad's chances aren't great)
Exactly. As much as I want Mega Man, Ridley is close by because you are right, he is without a doubt, the most deserving character left. There is no reason to keep him out, literally none.
I have reached the conclusion that there is no argument against Ridley that isn't purely subjective, especially after Sakurai claimed his team could make Ridley work despite his size/awkward design/etc.

He missed Brawl because the characters that people wanted in Melee had priority over him. But there's no one character that can reasonably be added instead of him, let alone a full roster of them. Subjective, but well-accepted as an opinion.

If we get only one newcomer, it should be Ridley. There is no one more perfectly qualify for a spot in SSB4 then him. JavaCroc basically listed all the reasons why he needs to be in SSB4, the only thing that could keep him out this time is Sakurai's biasness and we need to all hope the "Too Big" argument doesn't stick in Sakurai's head, because it's 100% false.

Can someone give me a list of newcomers that were highly requested back in the Brawl day but didn't make it to that game? I only remember Mega Man, Ridley, and King K. Rool. Melee too.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Not a big Ridley supporter (not because I don't like him but I'm just not a big fan), but it would be interesting to have a serious villain for a change.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Why can't everyone just accept that you can't use the GC controller anymore and move onto life. There are times where peoples have to move on to bigger and better things, and I'm pretty sure everyone could easily adjust to the new controllers. Adjusting to a new controller is like adjusting to a new Brawl game, so everyone will be at square 1.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
@SSBFan:

Fatamonice had posted earlier in this thread what I believe were the Melee poll results for most popular character additions.

I have no idea where a list of the most popular Brawl additions would be.

Just for the sake of reference:

Mario Bros:
1. Bowser (169)
2. Peach (66)
3. Wario (65)
4. Toad (27)
5. Koopa Troopa (9)
6. Kamek (8)
7. Goomba (7)
8. Mallow (5)
9. Geno (5)
10. Baby Mario (3)

Pokemon:
1. Mewtwo (35)
2. Mew (24)
3. Red (18)
4. Misc. Pokemon (12)
5. Lugia (11)
6. Meowth (8)
7. Raichu (7)
8. Marill (5)
9. Bulbasaur (5)
10. Togepi (5)

Legend of Zelda:
1. Ganondorf (36)
2. Young Link (8)
3. Zelda (8)
4. Sheik (8)
5. Shadow Link (2)

Kirby:
1. King Dedede (46)
2. Gooey (17)
3. Metaknight (11)
4. Misc. Kirby Companion (10)
5. Waddle Dee (3)

Mother:
1. Mr.Saturn (18)
2. Poo (6)
3. Other Good Guys from Mother 2 (Earthbound) (4)
4. Paula (4)
5. Starman (3)
6. Jeff (3)

Star Fox:
1. Falco (7)
2. Slippy (5)
3. Wolf (4)
4. Peppy (2)

Fire Emblem:
1. Marth (21)
2. Misc. Character from Fire Emblem (18)
3. Ogma (8)
4. Serris (4)
5. Sigurd (2)
6. Leaf (2)

Rare:
1. 007 James Bond (35)
2. Banjo & Kazooie (18)
3. Diddy Kong (15)
4. Blast Corps Robot (2)
5. 006 (2)

Other NES/SNES Characters:
1. Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight) (15)
2. Lip (Panel de Pon) (9)
3. Richard (For the Frog the Bell Tolls) (8)
4. Metroid (6)
5. Foreman (from Wrecking Crew) (6)
6. Pit (5)
7. Donbe or Hikari (5)
7. Misc. Character (The Marvelous Bunch) (5)
8. Samurai Goro (4)
9. Popo and Nana (4)
10. Balloon Fighter (4)

Non-Nintendo:
1. Chocobo (9)
2. Doraemon (7)
3. Bomberman (5)
4. Crash Bandicoot (4)
5. Sonic (3)
6. Megaman (3)

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
@SSBF: Other than Ridley and Krystal (MAYBE GENO?), I can't think of any other highly requested characters for Brawl.

D

Deleted member

@JavaCroc: I think this along with Brawl shows that Sakurai takes requests seriously. Bowser, Peach, Mewtwo, Ganondorf, and Marth were all highly requested and got added into SSBM. Wario, Diddy Kong, Pokemon Trainer, King Dedede, Meta-Knight, Olimar, and Sonic were all highly requested characters that got into SSBB, of which all Olimar made the polls in Melee. Sonic wasn't highly requested at the time, but obviously, popularity for his inclusion expanded explosively once Snake got in. Only highly requested Melee character not in Brawl yet is Toad, although unlike the other I mention below, I thought his popularity was small in Brawl (I don't remember seeing any requests for Toad at the time).

I think this shows that Sakurai looks at polls from past games and tries to apply characters into the next one based off highly demanded characters from the last game. Here's a list of characters IIRC that were highly requested at the time that did not make it into the game:

Mega Man, Ridley, King K. Rool, Bowser Jr., Krystal, and Geno. The first four definitely continues to have strong support to this date and to lesser extend, I still see Krystal and Geno getting requests for SSB4. Based off this pool, I can easily see the first four get into SSB4. Maybe Krystal if we get a 50+ slot roster, but I doubt we'll be seeing that many characters. Combine that with ones that gained a lot of popularity for SSB4 like Little Mac, Saki, Zoroark/Victini/Genesect, Toad/Paper Mario, Medusa, Takamaru, and Isaac and I think that popularity, while definitely not the sole factor, as with past installments, will contribute to quite a few characters inclusion.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Back to the Ridley arguments. I personally feel he's better as a boss than a playable character. A smaller Ridley wouldn't seem right with him. I know it's possible and I wouldn't care if they did do that with him but personally I liked him as a boss.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
Seeing that list makes me wonder how many RARE characters would have been in Smash were they still Nintendo-owned...

I bet, assuming Rare would have made the same games as they did...
Banjo-Kazooie
Hudson Horstachio (Viva Pinata Mascot)
Conker
Battletoads

Eh... Banjo & Kazooie would be neat, and I love Viva Pinata, but all in all... No love lost.

@ Ridley

I want Ridley in, but his Proportions do need to be handled VERY CAREFULLY. We don't want him coming across too huge, same with too lanky. It'll be tricky, but manageable.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
So I just beat the original Sin and Punishment, had to do it on easy mode but I did it... Found out what should be Saki's final smash if he is indeed playable. Should turn into that Ruffian/Gundam hybrid looking form. So now I'm wondering what untouched Nintendo series I should dive into next?

Looking at the Melee poll, I noticed once I scrolled down to the Earthbound section that Starman tied Jeff. Maybe my idea for a playable Starman isn't so crazy? lol

This may get me killed but I'd like to see Jeff playable, or another playable heroine such as Paula or Kumatora.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Wave Race

Do it

As for Rare I remember reading somewhere when someone asked Chris about it, but they had some trophies and the Cloaking Device being from Perfect Dark lined up for Melee and of course with the impending Microsoft buyout, all of their trophies and the PD reference were removed. If Rare was still with Nintendo they would have pushed for Banko-Kazooie and Joanna Dark as characters.

Sad, but that's the way things are :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom