• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Thank you for agreeing on how terrible the Subspace concept in Brawl was!!! I hated how Sakurai decided he would add poor Kirby rip-off enemies and a generic, faceless world with no purpose instead of using real Nintendo locations and enemies - which have actual personalities!

Anyone here for a normal Link vs. Toon Link meeting? As I suggested earlier, there could be a slight antagonism between them at first until they accept each other and fight together. Both characters can work in the same story if Sakurai works on it.

And as I said earlier, get the people behind the New Super Mario Bros. series onto Adventure Mode!! We could get some actual challenging platforming levels and not endless fighting, actually!
Yes! That would be epic! Or Mario and Paper Mario! Sonic and Mario! Snake and his true love... Sheik???? Ganondorf and Mewtwo. The possibilities are ENDLESS!!! That's the beauty of it. Why lock all this potential up in a little box when you can open it, and watch pure magic happen? It would be any fanboy or fan's dream?

Plus King Dedede riding Yoshi would be awesome. C'mon. That made you grin! :grin:

Or Bowser being Wario's slave? A Mii of yourself fighting alongside Mega Man to defeat Guts Man? Luigi and Ness teamed up to defeat Ridley? Star Wolf attacking Samus and Mewtwo in their spaceships?

All you need is a (child-like) imagination and love for all the series that are in smash and could be added in smash, and you can make a simple, fun, and nostalgically beautiful story and adventure!

All of those character you said are also options. I can easily see Balloon Fighter (I'd prefer Alice honestly; Balloon Fighter with personality), Mach Rider, or Bubbles as retro reps. Sure, they didn't work in Melee, but not working for a 2001 game does not mean they couldn't work for a 2013-14-15-whatever game.

As for the return of any of the "Forbidden Seven", it's certainly a possibility. Personally, I don't think any of those seven need a comeback to Smash, but it would please many if they were DLC for SSB4.
Whatever character, I'd love to see the Balloon Fighter moveset. It would be so unique!

As for the Brawl seven, I can see Mewtwo, and maybe Plusle and Minun. Before Brawl, I hated the idea of the latter. Now I love it (plus gen 3 needs rep! Gen 3 > Gen 5 > Gen 4; Lucario is cool though; keep him!)

Toon Tetra/Zelda could still happen (she's been in two games now), but I think Spirit Tracks having a different Link, story, and time period have killed that hope (unless the Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass Link/story is revived). I would be all for it... if the moveset could be more original. At least Tetra isn't as worthless as Sheik, and was actually in multiple games.

Little Mac, Plusle and Minun, Dixie Kong, and Pac-Man are not retro characters. The latter three are, but I remember Mach Rider, Balloon Fighter, and Bubbles being shot down by Sakurai. I still stand by my stance that the only likely retro character is Takamaru, and I'm not even sure if he can be considered retro anymore.

I refer to slots, not transformation, unless stated otherwise. My worry mainly has to do with the possibility of universal roster.
Little Mac's last game, aside from his recent game was on the Super Nintendo. He's retro. Plusle and Minun are almost a decade old, Pac-Man hasn't been in a blockbuster in decades, and Dixie Kong hasn't been a "main character" in any game since DKC3, yet remains popular.

Heck, Mario is retro, too (although "retro" is a point of being). Wouldn't you say the Rolling Stones are retro, although they still dish out new music? I guess retro is a matter of perspective. I always thought of retro as old, and usually largely forgotten.

Takamaru hasn't been in a game since the 80's. I can't think of a way he isn't considered "retro."

Kantrip

Kantplay
@above, saying Little Mac, aside from his last game, was on the Super Nintendo. Sorry, but you can't excuse the most recent installment in a series. With Uprising coming out now, we can safely say Pit is no longer retro. With your logic, however, the last game in a series doesn't matter and we should ignore it. No, just no.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Actually, I was planning on making a Team Rocket moveset. However, it would basically be a Pokémon Trainer moveset with Team Rocket pokémon.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Retro = old. My argument is the Rolling Stones are retro, but they can still be "new" or "renewed" with a new album or music. What is the dictionary definition of "retro" anyways? Maybe I got the whole definition of wrong... >.<

"What's old is new."

write me a basic story outline that explains how link gets to mushroom kingdom, how snake gets to green hill zone, and how pit gets to dream land. Also explain why the character that's suppose to be there isn't. and how all the characters eventually come together and where.

If you dont include all the worlds there will be whiners, although this is a minor problem it does seem to undermine some of the series
There will always be whiners; not everybody likes the same thing, which is both a bold and beautiful statement. That's what makes this series and company so unique. It has so many different elements that so many people who like unique and different things like a common thing.

The point is for the writers and developers to make something they enjoy making, playing, and writing, and it will translate to that to most of the players. Sure, they could make a harder game, an easier game (even though there's 5 difficulties), but if they make something that has replay value and has the pure unadulterated spirit of Nintendo, Smash Bros, and the franchises represented, most fans will be pleased. Heck, just the effort would please me.

Also, with one of my two majors is film and my intent to be a writer, so don't challenge me on the plot, because I will write one! :bee:

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
@crimson
that's pretty vague but i guess i did say basic.

Ok let's take that idea though there are still some problems. Sakurai cant ignore certain franchises like zelda and you cant turn zelda into a platormer so whoever gets sent there will have to explore a dungeon? And pokemon, whoever gets sent there will have to take part in a series of turn based fighting matches? And metroid, whoever gets there will be in a shooter. this not only creates a situation in which so many different genres of game have to mashed together it also ruins the chance to go back and play each level with whoever you want. You cant do a shooter with Marth.

IMO the only zelda-ish thing about the "dungeon" was the look of it but i guess that's just a matter of opinion

@john
i know there will always be whiners. thats why that was an after thought. My point with that was saying if they dont give olimar a world it shows they, as a company, think less of his series. And if they dont merge the worlds perfectly it could turn out to be a huge mess.

Go ahead and write a plot it will give us something to linger on before we start talking about how we covered everything again.

I

Kantrip

Kantplay
When we refer to retro characters, I believe we are talking about franchises without a recent installment that are being "revived" by smash. Mario may be "retro" as in he was invented and existed in a past time (like, so last century man), but the Mario franchise is very much alive and prospering in our current day in age.

As such, we do not deem it a "retro" franchise.

EDIT:@disfunk - Well, there could very well be a 2d dungeon adventure for the LoZ franchise. I was quite content with what we got for zelda in melee. That stayed pretty true to the franchise while fitting with smash.

Chris the Ripper

Banned via Administration
Look at page 408-now if you want to see how I influence you guys so much.

On topic:Retro Retro Retro. So what,just wait until development starts. I promise you,they'll already have the storyline by then.

Kantrip

Kantplay
We're only at page 325. What's with you scrubs not using 40 posts per page... :troll:

Really though, the storyline shouldn't be a big deal. Smash is not canon, we're going to have to accept that.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
40 post per page is the only way to go.
I learned that back in the Zange Chan days.

TBH i was satisfied with brawl's storyline. It couldve been a lot better but i wouldnt call it bad. I just want to make sure the next game's story wont go backwards from brawl's trying to make all the worlds mesh together.

Kantrip

Kantplay
There isn't a problem with meshing the worlds together if it is done right (see: using the SSE portals in some way). As long as it's not something stupid like

"EARTHQUAKE!!! THE STARSHIP MARIO JUST CRASHED INTO HYRULE CASTLE AND A GIANT TIKI HEAD VOLCANO IS FORMING!"

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
How about take what the Great Maze did and have all the different worlds meshed together. Best explanation and it could provide a nice Metroidvania feel.

Kantrip

Kantplay
That would be fine.

Then again, I'm not one of the fans who even needs a 1-player mode other than training matches like break the targets and a classic mode.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
What Sakurai seems to not understand is that we don't play Smash for the storyline. We play it because of the gameplay in multiplayer is awesome. Give me a Adventure mode similar to Melee's, with more added to it, and I'm a happy camper. The Sub-Space was long, and it was trying to make a whole story out of a game that can't have a good story. Games where 10 different franchises come together are never good in the story aspect. Never.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I usually skipped the cutscenes after a character is introduced except for the ones involving cool characters like Dedede, Luigi, Ness, Ice Climbers, etc., but the gameplay was just poorly modeled after Kirby Super Star (which is a great game btw), and then the idea of increasing difficulty in the stages is just increasing the amount of **** that is thrown at you instead of an actual thought process on how complex the level design and "puzzles" (lol) got, which would have been a lot less tedious.

Then the Great Maze comes and you know that they just stopped giving a ****.

Buci01

Smash Journeyman
I just want a single player mode, where you run in stages out of other games.... oh... like in Melee, just with more Nintendo enemies, and not that made up crap out of a sick mind.

Give me goombas, koopas, metroids, eggplant wizards and all those critters

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I just want online without any lag, a bunch of DLC content and a custom music option, is......... that so much to ask?? I think not.

:phone:

1+ post

Alright screw It, I'm gonna post that roster....

-

Look what I found:

according to this, it only has 40 characters, doesn't have any 3rd parties and doesn't even have Ray, what do you guys think of it

vs.

this one is SO much better, it's more realistic and has more variety of characters, I approve of this with some minor swaps.
For ****s sake
What?

They're not even close to similar. Mega Man is a small robot boy, Samus is a tall woman in a space suit. There is no reason to expect them to be the exact same.
Don't take the Itachi guy seriously.
I was happy to see a previous iteration of my roster pop up a few pages back! Figured I should release my next version seeing as I've refined it even more.

Notable Changes:
- Tom Nook has been removed, seeing as if they didn't want him in Brawl even when Resetti and Smashville were involved, it's probably a deliberate choice rather than simply not realizing the option.
- Wolf is back instead of Krystal. Added Toon Link as it's clear Sakurai wants him there, given Toon Zelda was also considered.
- Dropped Black Shadow, Lyn.
- Replace Megaman Volnut with classic.
For some reason, no one had nothing against this roster....

Barbasol for that.... I applaud you..... Wow. I even liked the roster :O
スライマとチョコボ! よつい タグ チム で スマス!

Slime and Chocobo! The strong team in Smash.
Slime and Chocobo? Along with Caeda, they would be the first rider characters. It seems fine and there's nothing wrong with it.
Well guys, looks like the title card is official.
It's not official and I hate the title. There's no source about this.

@AboutStar'sfanboyism: Fanboyism is what drives you. You're not alone my friend.
^^ BUT GUESS WHAT!!

Wrong picture dog.
xiblis said:
jsklfjsogjvdfafgdlfg;fhjfhajgofmvjldjvd;apicturepictureloltrololol
Lolololol.

Nice one.

Because everyone did not agree with him. Only that Link guy

They also made a anti lord hokage thread so lol

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Yeah that was mad funny. Aiyyo brb I got to start memorizing my music for drumline (I should have been doing that for the week I had off, I gonna get killed at practice today.)

Okay.

I'm neutral with adventure mode. I found it fun to add bosses. I prefer it if they focused on the multiplayer content but... we might get another adventure. Like it or not. I just hope it's not a plain repetitive beat em up again.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
What Sakurai seems to not understand is that we don't play Smash for the storyline. We play it because of the gameplay in multiplayer is awesome. Give me a Adventure mode similar to Melee's, with more added to it, and I'm a happy camper. The Sub-Space was long, and it was trying to make a whole story out of a game that can't have a good story. Games where 10 different franchises come together are never good in the story aspect. Never.
It's better than having to do Melee's Adventure Mode over 30 times without saving. At least the Subspace Emissary was made so that you only have to beat it up to two times to unlock all of its features; this does include cutscenes.

Okay.

I'm neutral with adventure mode. I found it fun to add bosses. I prefer it if they focused on the multiplayer content but... we might get another adventure. Like it or not. I just hope it's not a plain repetitive beat em up again.
The only issue with the Subspace Emissary was that it primarily contained original characters, with hardly any of the classic enemies being present.

I did state my Adventure Mode plots, and the enemies that should be involved. This also includes bosses, but how the story would play out is still rather sketchy in my head.

I unlocked all the characters through SSE. The only character who I unlocked in versus mode would be Ness. That's all.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
If only PT style Cranky Kong was in Smash 4. I would main that **** so hard. The absence of Rattly makes me sad (it's my League of Legends Summoner name), but I SUPPOSE he couldn't work in Smash. I would totally own with Squitter though.

JordantheGiant

Smash Cadet
Characters I would main if they are include:

Starfy
Plusle & Minun
Sukapon
Bowser Jr.

And probably Ridley, Duck Hunt Dog, and/or Little Mac. But the four above are probably my most wished for at the moment. Sorry if a 502 bad gateway leads to a double post.

JordantheGiant

Smash Cadet
Characters I would main if they are include:

Starfy
Plusle & Minun
Sukapon
Bowser Jr.

And probably Ridley, Duck Hunt Dog, and/or Little Mac. But the four above are probably my most wished for at the moment. Sorry if a 502 bad gateway leads to a double post.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
So hopefully everything is fixed now. It is still running slowly, but that might be my internet connection too.

D

Deleted member

JavaCroc said:
I also am keeping my expectations low, but honestly, I have this gut feeling that Sakurai will feel the pressure for a higher roster than mid-40's, resulting in a high 40's roster. The roster probably won't exceed 50 unless the 3DS-Wii U exclusives plan is put into action, but I can see numbers between 47 and 50 as very likely. Then again, no one can predict Sakurai, so I don't know anything more than you do.
How many characters are you expecting for SSB4? Because if it's in the mid-40s, trust me, that isn't low. If anyone has low expectations, it's ChronoBound. He's expecting 40 slots at most. Not that I have a problem with people not expecting much.
JavaCroc said:
Regarding your comments on Oasis's ideas for Adventure Mode, what did that have to do with characters?
If it's like Melee's Adventure Mode, it won't take up much space, maybe a gig at best. Plus if they compress it, we can easily see a mid-40s roster occurring. But as it is, I think the 3DS adventure mode will be as big if not moreso then SSE and I don't think Sakurai will take the time to compress the 3DS version considering he didn't do much of any compressing in Brawl.
berserker01 said:
I unlocked all the characters through SSE. The only character who I unlocked in versus mode would be Ness. That's all.
I did a mix. Some characters like Marth and Sonic I unlocked through Classic Mode, Ness through versus mode, and others like Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. through SSE.
Starphoenix said:
So hopefully everything is fixed now. It is still running slowly, but that might be my internet connection too.
Hate to say this, but I got another 502 Bad Gateway Error. So no, the issue has not been fixed.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
...Having some "ridable" items would be an interesting new feature. Wario's bike shows it's possible. Kuribo's shoe, a Mario kart, Rhambi, a miniature Arwing just off the top of my head. Heck, even a Yoshi as an item. So you could have Yoshi on another Yoshi. So silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom