• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I wanna see the Falcon Punch in HD if anything. :laugh:

But if I had to choose a character I want to see in HD, I'd have to say... Probably DK.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I never knew Bowser looked cute when he crawled like a turtle. XD

Hoefully, Sakurai decides to keep crawling because there a several characters that should have had that ability (Samus, Wolf, ect.)

:phone:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
REAL men want to see Tink in all his Cel-shaded glory in HD. JUST SAYING
Oh funk and your :disco: dancing humor.
How about that HD Link from the E3 2011 Zelda Wii U demo?

That visual style for Zelda Wii U, please.
Yeah, I agree. However, I think it would be cool to see Skyward Sword Link and Zelda (and maybe Sheik) as alternate appearances for said characters and a cool added bonus.

That or maybe have one outfit (initially) exclusive to 1 smash bros game or another.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@Kuma- What Oasis said

I guess I should include Armageddon alongside those too
Like the ones in MK9 then. I don't know about Armageddon. That being said, the ones in MK9 aren't any different than the strings in any 3D fighter. Heck, some 2D fighters have them.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
A few hours ago, I played about 40 4-stock matches with my bro.

Dang, I miss shine spiking, Marth's down air (even if I don't play Marth; it's just a sexy attack), and strong and quick neutral airs (like Fox's, Mario's, and Marth's).

All that stuff needs to be in the next smash bros, whether it is a more offensively-centered game or a more defensively-centered game (special teams ftw!).

There is nothing sexier than a good spike or early gimp move. Quite frankly, all the characters that aren't super light combo machines that can kill foes by chasing you off the stage (see: Pikachu in Smash 64, Jigglypuff in Melee, Meta Knight in Brawl) should have such moves.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Lol Luco, who wouldn't be accepting you? You're awesome and plus you have some great taste in music

:phone:
Aww, thanks metal, that's really nice! Truth be told, I guess i'm a bit of an oddball at school. I have a mild case of Teurets, not that I mind it or anything, but some people don't really look past the twitching, snorting, grunting or sometimes even jumping. While I wish they'd look past it, I understand that not everyone has that capability. it does sometimes frustrate me though that I try so hard to be nice and go out of my way but they never really respond, even though I know that some people are just like that. (For instance, one Christmas I got a giraffe for a girl at my school who dislikes me. She still dislikes me to this day.)

But off that topic, I sometimes play 99-stock matches with my brother. most days now though we just do normal 3-stock matches, but we usually have a lot of them hehe.

I believe most people play stock rather than time in the end, so it seems weird that the previous installments always start out on time matches rather than stock. Do any of you play time or coin battles all that often?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Luco is so innocent it kills me.
Yeah, I realise it was a bit extreme but I was really frustrated at how she just ignored me and pushed me out all the time, especially when her group of friends are one I often visit. So I got her a giraffe. It didn't work though, she didn't like me any better. :-/

But in general, yeah I try to be nice to those around me. It's always a good feeling when people see that and do the same. Random acts of kindness are just one of the things that is amazing about this world.

@Xeylode: Nah, I prefer stock because you can take as much time as you want. You can relax and think things through. Time limits usually (not always, but usually) annoy me. :p

yani

Smash Lord
I believe most people play stock rather than time in the end, so it seems weird that the previous installments always start out on time matches rather than stock. Do any of you play time or coin battles all that often?
I enjoy a coin battle every now and then. I don't care for timed matches though.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
The only time I play time matches is when I'm online. :laugh:

5-10 stock, every time.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I don't. I'll play coin on occasion, but I can never take them seriously.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I play time actually. It's nice because no one drops during a match. Great if there is a weaker player.

Also, I tend to find people get better in time rather than stock. Stock encourages strategies like camping and running that don't make you better. Time you only win by your own accord.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Stock encourages strategies like camping and running that don't make you better. Time you only win by your own accord.
In Time, I can K.O. you once and then run away and camp until time's up.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Gotta agree with diddy/kuma.
You can't really camp in stock,if so,it means you want the match to never end.NEVER.
And no contest is not a solution.

Lets not forget that it's possible to do both time and stock at the same time.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Well, you can camp in stock - if the timer's on, hence its nefariousness in Brawl.

Going off of this, it would imply that having a timer encourages all the camping and defensive play in the first place, but that's making a conclusion without enough research.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Crappy strategy

1) You may still die. This strategy only works if you KO someone without you dying first. If that happens, you now have to get 2 KOs to be at +1. Also, you may just die after the first KO. This is all very likely with items, stages and especially final smashes.
2)It also assumes that someone wont get a higher score. I've seen +2,3 and 4. This is all from 4-5 minute matches. Very likely.
3)If someone gets +1, the game goes to sudden death, which means now you have to fight the other guy.

This strategy sucks. It's more worth your time to fight and get a big score than hope and bank one one kill. This strategy wont work with final smashes.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Crappy strategy

1) You may still die. This strategy only works if you KO someone without you dying first. If that happens, you now have to get 2 KOs to be at +1. Also, you may just die after the first KO. This is all very likely with items, stages and especially final smashes.
2)It also assumes that someone wont get a higher score. I've seen +2,3 and 4. This is all from 4-5 minute matches. Very likely.
3)If someone gets +1, the game goes to sudden death, which means now you have to fight the other guy.

This strategy sucks. It's more worth your time to fight and get a big score than hope and bank one one kill. This strategy wont work with final smashes.
> assuming Kuma is talking about a match with items and Final Smashes.

Smooth Criminal

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Crappy strategy

1. You may not die. This is very possible with items, stages, and final smashes. If you know what you're doing and you're fast enough, you can keep all items away from the opponent.
2. Who's to say you can't camp and still be racking up a score? I play in a very space control fashion, this kind of strategy would not be difficult for me.
3. Then you go after them to be at the advantage.

The problem with the strategy you're referring to is incredibly lacking in backup plans and you made a very generalized assumption about my statement. Personally, I don't go in with a defined strategy, but I have a general plan and make a strategy based on the situation at hand.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
I believe Chu is talking about playing time with more than 2 players in the match (hence if there's one weak player, this person will not drop out early).

If that is the case, then time > stock.

I always used to play time when playing with one of my brothers (he was like a baby). But now that he is a little older, he can endure stock matches. So that's what we always play now. Items on all the way (never cared about playing SSBB competitively).

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
1. You may not die. This is very possible with items, stages, and final smashes. If you know what you're doing and you're fast enough, you can keep all items away from the opponent.
2. Who's to say you can't camp and still be racking up a score? I play in a very space control fashion, this kind of strategy would not be difficult for me.
3. Then you go after them to be at the advantage.

The problem with the strategy you're referring to is incredibly lacking in backup plans and you made a very generalized assumption about my statement. Personally, I don't go in with a defined strategy, but I have a general plan and make a strategy based on the situation at hand.
I'll go into the math later of why it wont work, but Smashchu is a busy man. Here are my responses to your point in the mean time.

BTW, what I'm refering to is only what you said, so everything I'm looking at is this statement
So the strategy is to get one KO and run away for the whole match. That is what we are talking about. All of these points are based on the assumption you only plan to have one KO 9because that is what you said).

1)What I'm saying is the strategy only works if you can get a KO without dying and than never die again. Then we move to point three. The reason for items is camping is harder with a bunch of stuff to grab on the stage. Danger is always a step away.
2)If you try to get more KOs, you also run the risk of dying. If that is the case, why not just try to get KOs the entire match? Being active is better than being passive in time.
3)Which means you might die.

The big picture is that your strategy only work if you can always avoid death, which you can only do for so long. Even than, a player may get more KOs than you, which means now you have to go to an active strategy verses a passive one to make up the ground. If that is the case, why not just be active the whole match and have a +2 or 3.

Being passive works in stock because other players can do the fighting for you. You can win a stock match with only a single KO. Time wont work that way.

@25 to life:If the strategy only works with content turned off, than it's not a very good strategy.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The last time I played coin matches was a joke at a tournament. As for time mode, I haven't played a time mode match since the last time I played Brawl online a few months ago.

Although I do play stock matches with a time limit quite often.

Also, you can easily camp in EVERY MODE and win-if your opponent is awful at approaching, your character is superior to the opponents.
Think Smash 64 Jigglypuff vs. Pikachu, Melee Falco vs. Kirby, Brawl Snake vs. Jigglypuff.

Also, you can definitely camp with items... especially projectiles. My brother and I played Melee a few weeks ago and he turned items on while I went to the bathroom. I came back, I didn't know they were on, but I was surprised when he turned them on. So, I took a quick one stock lead, grabbed a ray gun, and camped him out until he took lots of damage. Then, I approached for the kills. I did this the next life with a fan and a beam sword (by throwing them and using them for melee combat).

Of course, this is a lot easier to do when you are the player who is better at spacing... or the Ice Climbers. They are broken in both Melee and Brawl with items.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
When I play competitively, I don't camp at all. I'm just in DAT ***!

@ John
The only good thing about Brawl's online is you picking Temple, Pink Falcon and start doing random Falcon Punches all day. Then you see the other 3 people chasing after you until the time runs out. Seriously, that never gets old! :laugh:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
So, The Bear and the Mouse fight once more.

So the strategy is to get one KO and run away for the whole match. That is what we are talking about. All of these points are based on the assumption you only plan to have one KO 9because that is what you said).
What I said was deliberately a reductio ad absurdum. It was not meant to be a truthful statement because, as you said, it's only good if you get the first K.O. and run away.

1)What I'm saying is the strategy only works if you can get a KO without dying and than never die again. Then we move to point three. The reason for items is camping is harder with a bunch of stuff to grab on the stage. Danger is always a step away.
2)If you try to get more KOs, you also run the risk of dying. If that is the case, why not just try to get KOs the entire match? Being active is better than being passive in time.
3)Which means you might die.
1. I can camp with items if I want to considering they go so far when you toss them. Just ask Peach and Snake.
2. Every thing has a risk, but that doesn't mean you can't have a backup plan if something happens to you unexpectedly. This is why it's good to keep it safe and safely attack the opponent to get an extra point or two in case something goes awry. Also, I CAN be active in fighting, but I can ALSO be passive. Just ask Meta Knight.
3. And you might not die. As I already said, lot's of things can happen. It's all a matter of adapting to changes. Just ask Charles Darwin.

The big picture is that your strategy only work if you can always avoid death, which you can only do for so long. Even than, a player may get more KOs than you, which means now you have to go to an active strategy verses a passive one to make up the ground. If that is the case, why not just be active the whole match and have a +2 or 3.

Being passive works in stock because other players can do the fighting for you. You can win a stock match with only a single KO. Time wont work that way.
Depending on the character, you don't need to be super active when it comes to playing against a group of players. I could just wait until someone is knocked back and steal the K.O. for myself.

Passive can only work in stock (with no timer) until it's you and one more person are left. The whole point of stock is to be the last man standing so you're more encouraged to be on the offensive, but Brawl's backwards design makes it where defensive play is better.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Pretty much I have preferred stock over time since 1998. Time mode... haven't a time limit is lame. If one guy is getting their butt kicked, end it quickly. If it's a good match with great recoveries, let it go on for longer. It's always nice to watch some good, competitive matches stretch out and create some drama.
When I play competitively, I don't camp at all. I'm just in DAT ***!
Lia-I mean okay. :smirk: but for realz, I did it to get back at my brother. I needed to remind him that I am and always will be the boss. :awesome:
@ John
The only good thing about Brawl's online is you picking Temple, Pink Falcon and start doing random Falcon Punches all day. Then you see the other 3 people chasing after you until the time runs out. Seriously, that never gets old! :laugh:
I prefer to play Toon Link and spam projectiles at Temple. If I run into people playing fast characters like Sheik, Captain Falcon, and Sonic trying to run me down, I also spam down smash and aerials to kick their butt. After all, I am playing the Stronger character. :shades:

I'm tempted to play Project M Demo 2 (which I downloaded yesterday; I still don't got my Wii back) on Brawl's online for the lulz. :cool: I wonder if I'll upset some people... :awesome:

@ linkshot
LOL! Pretty much anything done to purposely annoy casual, competitive, or whatever players is dumb. Especially if it annoys everyone. SEE: RANDOM TRIPPING! :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom