• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Seriously, Wario should be more based off Wario Land than Wario Ware... because Land is better. Project M Wario is proof of this. ;)
I'm pretty sure Bowser's moveset is going to remain the same, barring some minor mechanic changes. I however hope he gets buffed, similar to his Project M version.
Yeah, I think Bowser is gonna get some of his Melee and Brawl strengths back. Making Fortress weaker was stupid as hell by the Brawl balancing department. It didn't take a super genius to realize Bowser sucked balls again (in Brawl) from the get go... unless all you play is Wifi! :laugh: But yeah, Bowser is Project M is pretty good.. but he's still low tier in Project M IMO. :smirk:
It seems like no one likes coin battles. Its either time or stocks an age old debate. Maybe the next one will feature a new mode.
I think Bonus mode should return (form Melee). As for coin mode, it shouldn't punish you by losing like 1/4th your coins for dying. You should be rewarded for kicking your opponents butt and dominating them; not losing all the coins you got by kicking their butt and then losing them the one time you die. True facts: Once I lost a coin match after getting 5 kills against my brother's 1 in Melee. That was the last time I took coin mode seriously.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I have no idea. If anything Intelligent Systems would do it and just slap the Bowser face across their Wars series.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Bowser and Wario RPG: Super Villain Saga! :awesome:

Edit: The main villains: All the outcasts from their series. Wart, Bowser's children not named Bowser Jr., Captain Syrup, The Shake King, everyone from Wario Ware, etc. :shades:

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Time is a lot of fun because it forces a different viewpoint to handling the match. However, I hate 1v1 two minute timed matches because they usually result in a a KO on one, then the other would get KO'd and then there would be Sudden Death. .__.

I think we should have more freedom with the Special Mode, we need to be able to individually alter characters, not be forced to make everyone be inflicted with the same thing. I think that'd be a ton of fun honestly. It could just be me though. Make someone big, another small, another invisible, another metal, etc.

yani

Smash Lord
I had an idea of a Mario MMO where you can choose between the Koopa troop and the mushroom kingdom where you can have different races such as Toad, plumber, ...wooden doll for the mushroom side and goomba, koopa, etc. for the koopa side
I had a similar idea. I thought about having Bowser and King K.Rool having some annual clash to see who has the superior army. :awesome:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Time is a lot of fun because it forces a different viewpoint to handling the match. However, I hate 1v1 two minute timed matches because they usually result in a a KO on one, then the other would get KO'd and then there would be Sudden Death. .__.

I think we should have more freedom with the Special Mode, we need to be able to individually alter characters, not be forced to make everyone be inflicted with the same thing. I think that'd be a ton of fun honestly. It could just be me though. Make someone big, another small, another invisible, another metal, etc.
Timed matches also lead to the person with the most kills running around avoiding being hit until the timer, which is horribly boring to watch and super frustrating.

They also do that in sports, though. Which is equally horrid

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Holder
I totally agree with the 2nd part. It could be like handicapped mode's version of special smash (or vice versa).

Invisible Metal Flying Mario (lol, like Super Mario 64) vs. Giant Super Spicy Curry Bowser.

@ Pyscho
The only sports that slow the game down like that are soccer, hockey, (both by passing backwards more) and basketball (waiting to shoot until the shot clock runs out).

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
@ Holder
I totally agree with the 2nd part. It could be like handicapped mode's version of special smash (or vice versa).

Invisible Metal Flying Mario (lol, like Super Mario 64) vs. Giant Super Spicy Curry Bowser.

@ Pyscho
The only sports that slow the game down like that are soccer, hockey, (both by passing backwards more) and basketball (waiting to shoot until the shot clock runs out).
It can be done in football as well

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Curling=??? I thought aerobics male dancing was the most manly sport on the planet. Also, burger flipping. :shades: And this guy. :cool:
It can be done in football as well
Yeah, but running the ball isn't exactly boring. It's still the best athletes in the world beating the hell out of each other! :laugh:

The only boring part is when one team is blowing out the other. That is unless you like the team that's winning or hate the one that's losing. :bee:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I still need to go on that curling trip...I have no time for anything anymore. That, and the closest rink is in the only semi-big city near here, and it's like 16 miles away. Curse you Scranton, for being the only actual city anywhere near me!>:/

But on Smash, I do prefer Stock matches; it gives me more of a sense of competition, personally.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm watching "A fistful of dollars"

It's a Clint Eastwood movie based on the Japanese samurai film "Yojimbo"

Since a lot of these spaghetti westerns are actually based on samurai films, I wonder why there hasn't been any real western video games.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Well, I don't play timed like that. Especially since my characters generally aren't very fast and able at dodging. Personally, I find chasing people down though not too difficult, even if they are doing all they can to avoid you.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Holder, you haven't played superboomfan in smash 64.

If you don't catch him, he spams projectiles at you, and then uses that to combo you to death.
If you catch him, he shields your attacks, grabs you (multiple times), and combos you to death.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
No, I read the rest. I just didn't care since you're going off on hypotheticals.
What you are talking about is "if there is a FFA", "if someone else gets KO'd", "if etc."

Again, quit assuming things.

EDIT: So here's a hypothetical of my own. Imagine, and bear with me on this, it's between two players. Player 2 KO's Player 1 once and camps away for the rest of the match, completely avoiding Player 1 and essentially running away when he gets near until time runs out.
The end result? Player 2 wins without much effort. No great analysis needed.
No, because of this.
Also, this is all assuming 3-4 players. 1v1 is the same for stock and time.
It was a reply to Kuma, but I figured you'd pick up on that because every example was of 4 players.

I'm also sure I pointed out why what you said is improbable.

The reason I assume these things is because that's what you give me reason to believe. I figure you don't play time because you think that you can get one KO and win the match. The post I wrote shows that, while possible, is incredibly improbable. So that is why I assume you don't play time.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It seems like no one likes coin battles. Its either time or stocks an age old debate. Maybe the next one will feature a new mode.
I like Coin Battles. Not as much as Bonus, though. My order is Bonus, Stock, Coin, Time. I like them all, really.

I really should look into peach, wario, and luigi's own games. Other than Luigi's mansion, I have never touched warioware series. That should give plenty of inspiration for their movesets and stuff. I wonder why bowser never got a game of his own. Yoshi has his own game too. Or waluigi for that matter.
I'd say Bowser's Inside Story is partially Bowser's game. But yes, that's true. It'd be nice for him to fully get his own. It could be a beat-'em-up against various Mario characters with a simple story. It could even reference his various fights against Mario.

As for Waluigi, DDR: Mario Mix was his starring game, technically. He's not the final villain, but it's his most notable appearance.

Keep in mind all of the actual key heroes have had their own starring game. Mario, Luigi, Wario, Yoshi, Toad(Wario's Woods does count), and Peach. You could argue Paper Mario too. And Baby Mario, but eh. Perhaps Dr. Mario.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
No prob.
Cool.
I'll keep this going though I think we're leaving the main point, but whatever.

My definition of passive is broader and yours and this should explain the miscommunication. For me, passive play would be more about keeping my opponent outside of close range and just keep them out so you'll be in the life/stock/score lead. Think of like you're just waiting for someone to come to you and then just push them back.
OK than. I'll try to use this instead, but I'm sure I'll mess up somewhere, let's see where it goes.

The point of a reductio ad absurdum (reduce to absurdity) is to take one person's logical premise and show how flawed it is by taking it to it's extreme conclusion (like saying gay marriage should be legal only for another person to say that you should allow robosexual marriage as well). That's what I did.
OK. Thanks for explaining that.

I still disagree with the notion that fewer is better. My point with the whole time vs stock is that in time you need to get a good number of KOs (of course, you can win with fewer than the other guys, but more always helps) where stock you don't have to and often people win with little fighting. I say this because I've seen players who do well in stock by using a run away tactic and do bad in time as a result. I also see player who play time tend to be better at getting KOs.

I won't go into your points as they're dependent on our interpretation and usage of passive and aggressive.
Would you rather I rephrase them?

Actually, I was looking at it from a FFA view. Let's say we have three characters fighting against each other, completely ingnoring you. One person gets knocked out off the squabble. This is when you come in to do steal the K.O. by dealing the finishing blow. For example, Mario gets knocked out to outside of the stage. Fox, who was watching, runs over to the edge and then uses his DAir to spike Mario to steal the other players' K.O.
First, I say the 1v1 things because it's hard to get chase players with more people. The example I made happens fewer (in part because no one thinks about it) and usually someone just gets in your way.

Still, from your example at least, it is more of if it happens rather than when it happens. As I said above, players tend to get in your way. If Mario is hit to the side that is away from you, other players may block you from getting to him. What your saying can work, but you gotta hope and pray. Easier said than done kind of thing. Kind of flows into the next point.

This is what I do in every fighting game, including Smash, as I mentioned earlier (moreso implied). It's an element not unique to Smash.
Your right, and adapting is true in every videogame, but Smash is unique in the flow. The thing I've notice is that going with the flow is how you do well. This isn't just adapting to the situation but something more. I have thought about writing a big thing on this to kick off a blog. For now, I'll just say that the fight in Smash always changes. The score changes, items spawn, stages move, players do things and even the damage which effects how attacks hurt you. There are a lot of moving elements here and Smash can be a complex system. It's more how you roll with it than anything else. Hope I made sense.

Not much of a debate or anything, but feel free to respond.

EDIT:Never really said this, but in all of this, I'm not saying that Stock is bad or Time is better, just that it is different as well as observations that I've made.

D

Deleted member

No, because of this.

It was a reply to Kuma, but I figured you'd pick up on that because every example was of 4 players.

I'm also sure I pointed out why what you said is improbable.

The reason I assume these things is because that's what you give me reason to believe. I figure you don't play time because you think that you can get one KO and win the match. The post I wrote shows that, while possible, is incredibly improbable. So that is why I assume you don't play time.
Then I guess like Rosencrantz, I am a victim of improbablity issues, since I've seen the improbable happen many a time, both in my favor and not in my favor. As well as matches I don't participate in.
(In case that doesn't make sense, I'm referring to the play Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, where Rosencrantz was testing probability with a two-sided coin, and ended up getting heads around 100 times in a row.)

@JohnKnigget: Rick Astley made other songs than Never Gonna Give You Up? :troll:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
So what online source do we know is going to stream the Nintendo live conference?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^^^ Nintendo themselves on their website (go find that link on either the last 1-3 pages). :bee: Or just look up "Nintendo Press." ;)

Also, MTV2 and Spike. :laugh: I'm not sure what channels those are for me, but I will find out. :facepalm:

(the only thing I've watched on Spike is UFC and other such events) :lol:

@ Golden
They all sound the same. ;) I like to mix it up a little. :) After all, Rick Astley has more to roll with. :grin:

:cool:

Edit: This is not smiley abuse. :shades:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Does anyone still know if Nintendo is still having a conference/thingy on Sunday=???

Or is it all on the dates listed in that press release=???

:confused:

Also, I think you meant MTV2 and Spike... commercial free of course! ;)

I think I watched a feed at IGN last year. Good quality and I do not think it lagged at all. Probably will not be until the next week that a tentative release of the order for the day.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Holder, you haven't played superboomfan in smash 64.

If you don't catch him, he spams projectiles at you, and then uses that to combo you to death.
If you catch him, he shields your attacks, grabs you (multiple times), and combos you to death.
This is all with Boom's Falcon, btw. His Falcon is so goddamn manly that even his taunt cancels emit this inescapable, invisible wave that forces your character into a 0 to death combo. :awesome:

In all seriousness, Boom is a great example of that sorta play. You should watch him and Isaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii for lame *** camping.

(Or any competitive Barlw match. :troll: )

(Or, Apex 2012 Melee GFs :troll: :troll: )

Smooth Criminal

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
watching it online is for n00bs, watch it Live...

Does anyone still know if Nintendo is still having a conference/thingy on Sunday=???

Or is it all on the dates listed in that press release=???
The regular conference will be Tuesday... there will be a debriefing for the people who go on what we can and cannot do on sunday... err... it's only for me.

Morin0

Smash Lord
watching it online is for n00bs, watch it Live...

The regular conference will be Tuesday... there will be a debriefing for the people who go on what we can and cannot do on sunday... err... it's only for me.
Watching it online = watching it live

:smirk:

Oh wait. You meant in person?

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
you cannot pay to go... you have to be in the game industry in some way to go. i got my pass for free.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
i will get all the swag... and the babes... i think there will be a starbucks in the side with nintendo and sony.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Some years ago there was a heartwarming story of a kid who supposedly met Sakurai at E3. Even it wasn't true, I will keep those feelings in my heart.

D

Deleted member

Some years ago there was a heartwarming story of a kid who supposedly met Sakurai at E3. Even it wasn't true, I will keep those feelings in my heart.
And that's the story on how Sakurai deliberately made Meta Knight overpowered, since the kid's favorite character in the whole world was Meta Knight.
Also, the kid was dying of cancer, so this was Sakurai's fufillment to the Make a Wish Foundation.

So before you condemn Meta Knight for being cheap, just remember; a cancer kid got his wish. :metaknight:

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
okay... in the slim chance that i meet mr sakurai and his translator, and i have my trusty recorder with me (note to self, get a recorder) what questions would you like answered?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom