• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I'm going to have to side with Kuma on this one. (I saw his posts before I realized I haven't logged on.)
Time is a campfest, as long as you get that one KO.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Meah, I'm kinda neutral on this (although time mode bores me). After all, tournaments do play stock matches with time limits, which also can promote camping and stalling.

Although thanks to several really annoying Brawl campers, a certain Smash 64 player (who has done this against me online, despite being able to straight up kill me without a struggle!!!), and a few Young Link Melee players, smash tournaments now enforce this more so than they used to... which means the campers can no longer camp like that.

However, another problem with this is many players can't approach campers, which shows they are just too focused on being aggressive. This includes some of the best players in the world. To counter this fortunately, myself and many other competitive players have practiced countering camping.

But yeah, if you don't suck at approach and you aren't playing a bottom of the bottom tier character, you should be able to stop camping or stalling from being very effective in any smash bros. game. And if you can't, it probably means your opponent is much, much, much better than you... or you are playing on Wifi! :laugh:

Still, time mode is overrated, and shouldn't be the default mode. All you got to do is SD before someone kills you on Wifi. That way only you lose 1 point, and nobody gains a point for killing you (especially if you are in the top 2, and the other top 2 player is gonna KO you). Thus, killing yourself literally can win you matches, which is Silly.

D

Deleted member

Also, I recently found out that the "Sora can't get in due to Disney" may not actually be a legitimate excuse anymore. :(

Not since Bowser is going to appear in an upcoming animated film called "Wreck It Ralph". (Alongside Eggman, Dr. Wily, M. Bison, Kano, Coily (Q*Bert), Clyde (Pac-Man),among other video game villains.)

However, there is a lot more things going against Sora than for him, so I'm still not worried. :bee:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Let's make it an infraction-worthy offense to even bring up Sora ever again. Seriously, he's the worst character ever. He's annoying, stupid, and a poorly made main character.

Gosh, those Sora drone fans pre-Brawl were literally the worst fan base. They made the Krystal furry fans LOOK GOOD! :chuckle:

Pretty much if we were to get anyone from that series (Kingdom Hearts), it ought to be Mickey Mouse (even if he is 13th party, lulz).

Edit: That film sounds funny. PAC-MAN AND M. BISON CUNFIRMEDD FOR SMASH FOURRR!!!

:rotfl:

D

Deleted member

@John: I just hope they get some of the real voice actors, like Mike Pollock for Eggman.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Falchion
I love you for that link. All homo. All the time...

...although I guess now I will be forced to watch something on MTV2 for the 1st time. :urg:

Also, Bowser better not sound like he did in Super Mario Sunshine. Seriously, that crap was worse than his voice in Hotel Mario. :facepalm:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I think I wanna do a chatroom for you guys when E3's Nintendo Conference's gonna be on. We'd all share our thoughts and whatnot... maan, I still love how I went with my friends in NinDB to do this.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
That's not exactly a great abbreviation. I mean, that's the abbreviation of my old Black Berry's internet service.

That's also the abbreviation of several business-y things. :laugh:

Also, Captain Falcon should be the 1st character shown. Smash needs to have it's manly man hyped first. The motto of these two games=??? SHOW. ME. YO. MOVES!!! :falcon64: :falconmelee: :falconbrawl:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Something tells me we're getting smash news in this, whether some stupid blabbah jabbah from Reggie with random boasting (Brawl is "the best smash yet" my butt... unless you including hacking), some actual discussion about what's going down with these games, basic concepts, or even characters.

Seriously, I just want 80% of the veterans confirmed within the next year. I don't want to argue with morons 2 more times as to whether characters who obviously are returning and might be clones (see: Luigi, Jigglypuff, and Marth, which quite a number of people thought were gone) will be playable again or not in smash bros! :mad:

That and all this crazy Impa replacing Sheik talk needs to die as soon as possible... PLEASE!!! :embarrass:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
So, The Bear and the Mouse fight once more.
Guess so. I like a good discussion. If I am being a ****, feel free to call me out on it though.

Passive can only work in stock (with no timer) until it's you and one more person are left. The whole point of stock is to be the last man standing so you're more encouraged to be on the offensive, but Brawl's backwards design makes it where defensive play is better.
Not sure if we are saying the same thing or not, so let me clarify.

First, when I mean passive, I mean not attacking and running. Active of course is being in the fight and trying to take people out.
Second, stock allows you to be passive because you can let others fight. Times doesn't because you have to be getting KOs to win. This is what this argument is about really.

Also, this is all assuming 3-4 players. 1v1 is the same for stock and time.

What I said was deliberately a reductio ad absurdum. It was not meant to be a truthful statement because, as you said, it's only good if you get the first K.O. and run away.
If it wasn't truthful, why say it?

1. I can camp with items if I want to considering they go so far when you toss them. Just ask Peach and Snake.
2. Every thing has a risk, but that doesn't mean you can't have a backup plan if something happens to you unexpectedly. This is why it's good to keep it safe and safely attack the opponent to get an extra point or two in case something goes awry. Also, I CAN be active in fighting, but I can ALSO be passive. Just ask Meta Knight.
3. And you might not die. As I already said, lot's of things can happen. It's all a matter of adapting to changes. Just ask Charles Darwin.
1)You have to be active to get them. They don't spawn away from the enemies. Also, throwing items means you lose it. Not a long term strategy
2)Again, when I say passive it means your running away. Active means your going into the fight. Like I said, the strategy was you get one KO and stay on it. If you have to become active to get more, why not be actively fighting the whole time. By criticism is why not just fight the whole time. Why stay back and take more of a risk. Typically, you win by getting a lot of KOs.
3)Again, the whole idea was winning by getting 1 KO and sitting on it. Which dying makes you lose. Adaptation is fine, but than why not adapt and abandons the tactic all together. What I'm saying is that it's impractical to play by getting 1 KO and sitting on it. Even sitting on a few wont make you win. If you have to risk death than you might as well try to get some more out of it. Again, it's better to be in the fight and have a high KO count than banking on not dying.

Depending on the character, you don't need to be super active when it comes to playing against a group of players. I could just wait until someone is knocked back and steal the K.O. for myself.
Most KOs are made from powerful attacks, not from hitting them over the edge. You may never get that opportunity. Your looking at it from a 1v1 point of view.

Yes, you can KO someone off the stage, but that also means someone can just kill both of you. Meta-Knight may try to poach a kill but Ganondorf could just kick you down (and he may have gotten a KO before that).

The big picture is this: It's better to be active than passive. As I've pointed out, it's not practical to try and wait for the moment. You have to make your own. Also, Smash is not a game where you have a strategy. Smash Bros is about going with the flow of a fight. Yo have to play it out. Which is why it's better to be engaged in the fight and get your own kills.

I'm going to have to side with Kuma on this one. (I saw his posts before I realized I haven't logged on.)
Time is a campfest, as long as you get that one KO.
I can tell you never played time. Let's talk about the math of time than.

The mode works in that your kills minus your deaths is your score. Player with the best score wins. If you have 1 kill, you have to have 0 deaths and the best score you can have is +1. But your score can also be much lower. Since 1 KO is set, than you can have any number of deaths. If you have 4 deaths, than your score is -3. Even if you only have one death, your score is 0. This is awful because you have to hope that +1 is the highest score or you tie.

There are three outcomes in terms of score with 4 players
-One player has a high positive score and three players all have different negative scores/0
-Two players have a positive score and two players have a negative score.
-Everyone has 0

Also note that the total of all the scores must equal 0. If a self destruct happens, than the total score will be 0 minus the number of self destructs. Of course, it may be a little off because self destructs can also be a point for someone else. But you get the idea. Now let's look at how the score can be distributed among the firs two items. I will also say how it would work in our scenario (where someone wins with one KO).

-One player has a high positive score and three players all have different negative scores/0
In this set up, the top player's score will equal the total score of every other player (not including their self destructs). Typically, the positive player will have a very high score or a player or two got a 0. A close game could be scores of [-1,0,0,+1]. Again, they all equal 0. Of course, it can be a huge gap [+3,0,-1,-2]
For our scenario: This is possible, but unlikely. This means, in order for our Kuma to win, he needs to never die, and everyone else does nothing. This is possible in a 2 or 1 minute match and very rare (if not impossible) in a 3 minute match. It wont happen in a 4 or more minute match, so we can throw this out.

-Two players have a positive score and two players have a negative score.
This happens when two players go possitive while the other players go 0 or negative. These are the closest of all of them because everyone is a KO or two away. Sometimes a list minute KO turns the ranks. Tis can look like this: [-2,-1,+1,+2] Let me point out this. Every KO is a difference of 2 points. Someone loses a point and someone gains a point. If the "+1" score player didn't get KOed, he'd have a 2. If he was KOed by our winner, than that move decided the match. These are unique in that any number of KOs or deaths make the game.
For our scenario:If this happens, Kuma will likely lose. Look at our set up. Someone had a +2. Kuma, can, at best, get 1 KO. So Kuma can have any of those scores except +2. Which means he loses. he could tie and win, but that is up to chance.

-Everyone has 0

Always funny, everyone ties. These are the closet matches because sudden death decides the winner. Not that you can have any number of KOs as long as the deaths are the same.
For our scenario: Kuma ties and gets to fight everyone, but so does everyone else. Basically, the strategy does nothing because he just gets as much chance to win as anyone else.

One last important point. The longer the match, the more KOs and deaths. All of the set ups I maade can happen with any time limit. But as the match goes on, the total number of death and KOs will go up and up. So it's not uncommon to have 3-8 KO for a 4 minute match and 3-8 deaths. Again, this means you can't win with just one KO.

Not let's look at stock real quick. To win at stock, you just need more lives. You have to have at least one and everyone else has 0 (or have the most when the time runs out). KOs mean nothing. Everyone can die by self destructs. This means that you can easily camp and do nothing because you just have to be the last one left. You don't even have to throw a punch. You'll need to do something, yes, but generally other players can do the work for you and it works. Basically, time is less campy because you have to have something to show. Stock you just have to be standing. It doesn't matter what you did so long as you are standing. Time is scored based on what you did (KOs-falls-self destructs). If you did nothing, your score will reflect that.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Also, Captain Falcon should be the 1st character shown. Smash needs to have it's manly man hyped first.
I think if they want a manly character to hype the games, they would use Starfy instead. Seriously, Starfy is the manliest thing since the invention of beef jerky.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^^^ Eh, Captain Falcon is a fan favorite. Starfy (if he is playable) may be a fan favorite, but he isn't one yet.

Also, I just had a funny thought: what if we got a trailer, and it was literally the Brawl trailer made into Smash Wii U/3DS! That would be awesomely random! :rotfl:

@ SmashPuff
If you merely "flow with the fight" in smash, you aren't using strategy. Although if you have some preset strategy, there is a strategy with "going with the flow."

If you practice to be unpredictable (on specific things like going onto the stage from a ledge, and switching up between jump on it, jumping from below it, attacking, climbing up, or climbing up and rolling), and you control the spacing, then you are in control of the flow of the fight.

Basically, having a preset strategy and "going with the flow of the fight" is how most top players play like top players. :bee:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Guess so. I like a good discussion. If I am being a ****, feel free to call me out on it though.
No prob.

Not sure if we are saying the same thing or not, so let me clarify.

First, when I mean passive, I mean not attacking and running. Active of course is being in the fight and trying to take people out.
Second, stock allows you to be passive because you can let others fight. Times doesn't because you have to be getting KOs to win. This is what this argument is about really.
My definition of passive is broader and yours and this should explain the miscommunication. For me, passive play would be more about keeping my opponent outside of close range and just keep them out so you'll be in the life/stock/score lead. Think of like you're just waiting for someone to come to you and then just push them back.

If it wasn't truthful, why say it?
The point of a reductio ad absurdum (reduce to absurdity) is to take one person's logical premise and show how flawed it is by taking it to it's extreme conclusion (like saying gay marriage should be legal only for another person to say that you should allow robosexual marriage as well). That's what I did.

I won't go into your points as they're dependent on our interpretation and usage of passive and aggressive.

Most KOs are made from powerful attacks, not from hitting them over the edge. You may never get that opportunity. Your looking at it from a 1v1 point of view.
Actually, I was looking at it from a FFA view. Let's say we have three characters fighting against each other, completely ingnoring you. One person gets knocked out off the squabble. This is when you come in to do steal the K.O. by dealing the finishing blow. For example, Mario gets knocked out to outside of the stage. Fox, who was watching, runs over to the edge and then uses his DAir to spike Mario to steal the other players' K.O.
The big picture is this: It's better to be active than passive. As I've pointed out, it's not practical to try and wait for the moment. You have to make your own. Also, Smash is not a game where you have a strategy. Smash Bros is about going with the flow of a fight. Yo have to play it out. Which is why it's better to be engaged in the fight and get your own kills.
This is what I do in every fighting game, including Smash, as I mentioned earlier (moreso implied). It's an element not unique to Smash.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
BiS has a lot of curious things who can be revised for trophies and stikers.

D

Deleted member

I can tell you never played time.
See, this is the kind of **** I'm talking about. Talking down to others.
Yes, I've played time before in my many years of playing Smash. Don't assume that just because I don't have your same viewpoint that I know nothing.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
See, this is the kind of **** I'm talking about. Talking down to others.
Yes, I've played time before in my many years of playing Smash. Don't assume that just because I don't have your same viewpoint that I know nothing.
Glad you responded to the first few lines, got mad and ignored the rest. There is other content there that might give you insight to why I say that.

D

Deleted member

No, I read the rest. I just didn't care since you're going off on hypotheticals.
What you are talking about is "if there is a FFA", "if someone else gets KO'd", "if etc."

Again, quit assuming things.

EDIT: So here's a hypothetical of my own. Imagine, and bear with me on this, it's between two players. Player 2 KO's Player 1 once and camps away for the rest of the match, completely avoiding Player 1 and essentially running away when he gets near until time runs out.
The end result? Player 2 wins without much effort. No great analysis needed.

D

Deleted member

So many spaces to fill....
EDIT:
As if Krokorok wasn't badass enough...

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Technically I haven't played a game of Time matches since like 2003 (because my friend was all into it, until I taught him that stock mode exists), minus Brawl's Quick Match online mode and that Brawl silly Game Stop tournament where you had to play with Wiimotes and Nunchucks (that setup sucks!). That tournament setup by Nintendo and Game Stop was all fail. To make it worse, it was on HDTVs, and lagged like crazy.

The only other way you consider me playing time mode is timed stock matches, which are cool beans.

But yeah, time matches bore me. In FFA's (and to a lesser extent, teams), it's all about avoiding attacks and attacking without getting hurt (much) back, which I am good at. Time matches (especially FFA's and teams) make it to where all anyone tries to do is SD or get a kill instead of "earning" that kill or trying to legitimately survive. That's why tournaments, competitive, most casual smashers, and Sakurai himself prefer stock matches. It's about survival while ending your opponents.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Any TTT2 news yet? Where's Metal? And, most importantly, why is my dog face humping a squerrel squirel squirrel.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'm pretty sure Bowser's moveset is going to remain the same, barring some minor mechanic changes. I however hope he gets buffed, similar to his Project M version.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Peach should get some moves from her game.

Nintendo knows the best way to portray a female character that usually a damsel in distress but goes into a heroine role is to make her attack by having mood swings. Yep, she's so emotional it actually hurts the enemies.

It seems like no one likes coin battles. Its either time or stocks an age old debate. Maybe the next one will feature a new mode.

I really should look into peach, wario, and luigi's own games. Other than Luigi's mansion, I have never touched warioware series. That should give plenty of inspiration for their movesets and stuff. I wonder why bowser never got a game of his own. Yoshi has his own game too. Or waluigi for that matter.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yes, I want a Bowser platformer where you go around killing toads

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Bowser should have some kind of strategy game where you build up an army and take over the Mushroom Kingdom world by world.

It would be sort of a pre-cursor to every game where Mario attempts to traverse different worlds to get to peach. It would be interesting to see Bowser as an actual little koopa getting stomped out of his shell. How streamlined would he be? Giga Bowser, Bowser, Zero Shell Bowser 0.0

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Do you mean like Anomally war zone earth or more like great little war game? Either way that sounds like a cool eshop title idea.

:phone:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I had an idea of a Mario MMO where you can choose between the Koopa troop and the mushroom kingdom where you can have different races such as Toad, plumber, ...wooden doll for the mushroom side and goomba, koopa, etc. for the koopa side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom