• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Earthworm Jim isn't owned by Nintendo and hasn't appeared in ANY media in at least 10 years

SEGA works with Nintendo, and Sonic had appeared in a game with Mario BEFORE Brawl even came out

Earthworm Jim doesn't really have much of a chance

So how did Rob(10+ years of inactivity) and Mr.Game and Watch (10+ years of inactivity) make it in brawl?
They are Nintendo characters. And in fact the Game & Watch series wasn't even inactive... they had those Game and Watch Galleries on the Game Boys...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
yea OK many smash melee players left the smash scene for SF and MVC because of Brawl.
I remember when i was excited about brawl i wanted characters too but that was only cause i knew that the other smash games were both casual and competitive (with high level gameplay).
But now I've been looking back and seeing what we can do to make sure smash doesn't go wrong again. You Brawlies wouldn't complain if wavedashing, L-canceling and all that would come back would you?
I'm in the same boat here. I got sick of Brawl to the point where it was a chore to turn on the Wii to play it. I eventually went to SFIV, a decision I haven't regretted which also let me find out my personal preference in playstyle - Insane with a purpose.

Smash Bros is NOT a fighting game. If people consider SF and Smash as interchangable they are looking at the wrong game. The whole point of Smash is that you don't have to have some form of autism to be good. You don't need to buy an arcade stick, memorize stupid move commands, and tard out to win a game. Why are you melee **** so upset with Brawl? Without wavedashing and L Cancelling you still win if you're good, right? Or is it you want to have an even huger advantage over someone who hasn't spent as many brutal hours memorizing the AT's?
Wavedashing was a useful mobility option for feinting, covering ground quicker, etc. I wasn't even a competitive Melee player, and I can see the merit behind it. L-Canceling shouldn't have been done in the first place as it's a pointless tech barrier, so auto L-Canceling should've been the thing from the start.

And yes, Smash is a fighting game, but at the same time it isn't. You can implement fundamentals from Smash to another fighting game and vice versa with some changes, but Smash is more like its own sub-genre, the platform fighter.
I know hopefully they make a better way of online friending. I just hope it is individual accounts. Though i wonder if we'll be charged like xboxlive.... Idk what do you think?
I think there will be a tiered service. You get the basics like online play for free, but you get extra stuff if you go for the top service.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
If Layton gets in, then, assuming Megaman is also in, Phoenix Wright should be an assist trophy. If Layton happens to get Wright out of an assist trophy, they should have some special dialogue with each other as a reference to their crossover game. :V

I love little things like that. :3

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Chris, why don't you actually think about what you are saying before you say and actually try to participate in intellgent convos. I'm just not in the mood to listen to your idiotic banter. I still think you could be a long time member with a troll acount, but the fact that you don't know any Nintendo history says otherwise. I like everyone on this thread, so please don't make me dislike you.

Chris the Ripper

Banned via Administration
Chris, why don't you actually think about what you are saying before you say and actually try to participate in intellgent convos. I'm just not in the mood to listen to your idiotic banter. I still think you could be a long time member with a troll acount, but the fact that you don't know any Nintendo history says otherwise. I like everyone on this thread, so please don't make me dislike you.
Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuse me for not being born in the 1980's

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I was definitely born in 1993. Use your head.

Just do what I did and put him on ignore.
I think I will take your advice.

On Topic: How much of a balance do we need to find with this next Smash installment when it comes to Unique playstyle vs. relevance/all that jazz. I feel like we can't just add relevant boring characters, or add a ton of lesser known characters who have unique playstyle.

Chris the Ripper

And how the f**k am I trolling the guy? We're just having a "convo" about EarthWorm Jim's chances of appearence in Ssb4

D

Deleted member

Chris the Ripper said:
I bet you guys your Mom's life that EarthWorm Jim will be a secert character in ssb4. If Sonic made it,so can Jim. Nintendo doesn't forget characters,only fans do.
You need to stop betting on character with little to no chances. Adjust your expectations or you will face disappointment.
KumaOso said:
I think there will be a tiered service. You get the basics like online play for free, but you get extra stuff if you go for the top service.
You mean something like PSN? If so, I would very much like a service like that, therefore, those who want the basic necessity of online like me can enjoy them for free while people who can and want to play can pay for everything.
Chris the Ripper said:
That doesn't mean you can't look up fact to support your statement.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Balance- On what level? Do you suppose that making a character's move sets based on their identity will suffice?
Yes, in some cases popular characters can bring new playstyles. But if we got Lyn, and Samurai Goroh in the same game, do you see the problem with uniqueness? They both use Katanas, and I feel we should substitute out one of them. Samurai Goroh could be cut out for Black Shadow, or Lyn for a Non-Katana weilding character. IMO, Goroh and Lyn are both the two most popular potential newcomers of their series. This is why I propose that if a less popular/relevant character offers a unique playstyle over the most popular/relevant character we should give him/her a chance.

D

Deleted member

Yes, in some cases popular characters can bring new playstyles. But if we got Lyn, and Samurai Goroh in the same game, do you see the problem with uniqueness? They both use Katanas, and I feel we should substitute out one of them. Samurai Goroh could be cut out for Black Shadow, or Lyn for a Non-Katana weilding character. IMO, Goroh and Lyn are both the two most popular potential newcomers of their series. This is why I propose that if a less popular/relevant character offers a unique playstyle over the most popular/relevant character we should give him/her a chance.
I think Samurai Goroh should get in (If a second F-zero rep is playable) because he's pretty much the only reasonable F-zero candidate not likely to be a clone. I would replace Lyn with Caeda/Micaich/new Lord.

Also, if we're doing that, we need to do it with characters that make the roster better. Substituting Lyn for Caeda/Micaich/other more unique Fire Emblem characters is fine with me. Substituting Ridley for Dark Samus/Anthony Higgins would make me facepalm.

Chris the Ripper

Ook F**k you guys who dog on me when infact I'm not talking to you. Secondly,Im glad I don't have knowledge about useless things. I never look up such information as game history. All you Megaman fans might want to change your expectations or you will be disappointed

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
On Topic: How much of a balance do we need to find with this next Smash installment when it comes to Unique playstyle vs. relevance/all that jazz. I feel like we can't just add relevant boring characters, or add a ton of lesser known characters who have unique playstyle.
It's kind of tough to decide what constitutes a unique playstyle. Or well, I guess as far as a whole playstyle goes, Olimar and Pokemon Trainer sort of force that upon you. But I'd say at least half the newcomers for Brawl had something about their moveset that made them unique. You even have Lucario, with nothing really unique about his moveset, but he has that Aura thing going on that makes him stand out. Things like that are hard to predict...

ANYWAY TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION, from my predictions, I'd say 4-6 could be rather unique out of the 12 newcomers?

D

Deleted member

Ook F**k you guys who dog on me when infact I'm not talking to you. Secondly,Im glad I don't have knowledge about useless things. I never look up such information as game history. All you Megaman fans might want to change your expectations or you will be disappointed
You've been reported. Always show respect, even those who disagree with you. Saying "FU" to people who disagree is not showing respect, it counts as flaming.

Chris the Ripper

........:facepalm:....omfg! You guys started with me! I didnt even say anything to that other guy! He came out of nowhere with "You're wrong,blah blah blah,ima ignore you,blah blah blah" So doesn't his earlier comment count as flaming?

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Secondly,Im glad I don't have knowledge about useless things. I never look up such information as game history.
You never look up game history and yet you've heard of Earthworm Jim?

Okay, okay, I'm done poking at the troll.

Anyway, I was thinking that Falco and especially Wolf need new Final Smashes. I think my prediction about Wolf getting cut is something like 90% a subconscious reaction to the stupid landmasters. I think it'd be cool if Wolf had a "Wolfen Strafing Run" or something. Thoughts?

D

Deleted member

........:facepalm:....omfg! You guys started with me! I didnt even say anything to that other guy! He came out of nowhere with "You're wrong,blah blah blah,ima ignore you,blah blah blah" So doesn't his earlier comment count as flaming?
I am not going to argue with you for pages. Stop this drama now.
Gamingboy said:
Anyway, I was thinking that Falco and especially Wolf need new Final Smashes. I think my prediction about Wolf getting cut is something like 90% a subconscious reaction to the stupid landmasters. I think it'd be cool if Wolf had a "Wolfen Strafing Run" or something. Thoughts?
When it comes to Final Smash, Fox should keep his Final Smash, Falco should get an Airwing, and Wolf should have his Wolfen.

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
This guy's still posting.. lol.

But yeah Wolf needs a new FS. It'd be pretty sick to call in Leon and Panther for help while he takes control of a Wolfen or something. Idk.

Also Bowser Jr for Smash4. Gogogo.

Toad sucks. :awesome:

Chris the Ripper

Know what? I think I know what you guys are doing. Im not going to explain because Im no longer ignorant to your ways. When reporting some1,both sides arn't told. Its report or be reported/ignore. Idk what you guys call me. This "troll" business is getting a bit old. If Im the troll,i'd hate to see what you guys are. Gamingboy, technically ,you're trolling me

Nine

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Philip
3DS FC
2294-4620-8242
I'm in the same boat here. I got sick of Brawl to the point where it was a chore to turn on the Wii to play it. I eventually went to SFIV, a decision I haven't regretted which also let me find out my personal preference in playstyle - Insane with a purpose.

Wavedashing was a useful mobility option for feinting, covering ground quicker, etc. I wasn't even a competitive Melee player, and I can see the merit behind it. L-Canceling shouldn't have been done in the first place as it's a pointless tech barrier, so auto L-Canceling should've been the thing from the start.

And yes, Smash is a fighting game, but at the same time it isn't. You can implement fundamentals from Smash to another fighting game and vice versa with some changes, but Smash is more like its own sub-genre, the platform fighter.

I got SF4 too myself and SSF4 and now the new dlc of AE. I've been fascinated with the whole mechanics and competitiveness, not to mention good online. I'll stick with SF and I'll go back to smash if they change things back. so dude you have it on xbox or ps? i have xbox :p lol
and yea i think there will be a sort pay extra for better online experience.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I think everyone agrees that Falco and Wolf need new FS's if anything.

Falco needs some use of the Arwing since he is Starfox's ace pilot. He could hop into and then fly at the stage trying to shoot the players (Like a combination of Snake's FS and Dragoon).

Wolf should have either something with the wolfen or calls Panther and Leon (or anyone else that's in Starwolf) to do an air strike.

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
@CTR He's contributing to the thread while you're replying 283957 times with your pointless ****. Post something that adds to the conversation. Or don't post. lol.

OT: Anyone else think Bowser Jr's stage could be his airship? I don't think it'd really turn out like Pirate ship. There could be random times when a goomba/koopa might walk out, or something.

His Final Smash could be something like Yoshi's Island where Kamek turns him huge and he's in the background.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
One item idea I always had that will probably never happen since the Final Smash sort of took over it's territory... the "upgrade" item.

Basically, it would upgrade the character to their next "level". Pikachu would evolve to Raichu, Donkey Kong would become that "Super Kong" from DKReturns....

It'll never happen, though.

Anyway, another Final Smash I think should be changed is Luigi's bizzarre dance. Replace it with the Poltergust from the Luigi's Mansion series. You'd suck in all your opponents, then send them back out to kingdom come.

And call me crazy, but I think it'd be neat if Kirby's final smash would differ depending on what hat he had on, with the Cooking thing only happening if he didn't have a hat. This idea would likely be too awesome, especially since then they'd have to create "Giga-Kirby" and "Kirby-Man" graphics.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Good question. Looking at MvC3's roster as an example...

[COLLAPSE="MvC3 Roster"]
Akuma
Amaterasu
Arthur
Chris Redfield
Chun-Li
C. Viper
Dante
Felicia
Haggar
Hsien-Ko
Jill
Morrigan
Ryu
Spencer
Trish
Tron Bonne
Viewtiful Joe
Wesker
Zero

Captain America
Deadpool
Doctor Doom
Dormammu
Hulk
Iron Man
Magneto
MODOK
Phoenix - aka Jean Grey
Sentinel
She-Hulk
Shuma-Gorath

Spider-Man
Storm
Super-Skrull
Taskmaster

Thor
Wolverine
X-23[/COLLAPSE]
From what I know, which is not a whole lot, the bolded characters weren't super well known except to the hardcore and maybe for those who watched Marvel cartoons. Save for arguably X-23, each of these characters have something unique to them. In fact, that's actually what got Shuma-Gorath in the Marvel fighting game series to begin with as he's actually very obscure. All non-bolded characters, while unique in their own right, were definitely better known.

That being said, I think MvC3, despite what SmashChu says, did a very good job with the balance of popular characters and surprises. Sure, we didn't get Megaman as a lot of people wanted, but we got his three basic concepts fleshed out with Arthur,Ammy, and Dante.

Hey, fella who keeps bringing Street Fighter into the picture, I've been meaning to ask you...

Would you happen to have any info/updates on the third one hitting XBLA. I've been meaning to pick that up and its damn near impossible to find for the original xbox.
All I know it's coming out this year, and there are some very nice features like uploading replays directly to Youtube.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I think everyone agrees that Falco and Wolf need new FS's if anything.

Falco needs some use of the Arwing since he is Starfox's ace pilot. He could hop into and then fly at the stage trying to shoot the players (Like a combination of Snake's FS and Dragoon).

Wolf should have either something with the wolfen or calls Panther and Leon (or anyone else that's in Starwolf) to do an air strike.
I like the Falco one, and I think Wolf's should involve Star Wolf.

Also, after looking at Sakurai's twitter, I think Sakurai's Cat should be an item. It would suddenly appear on the stage and walk around. You could pick it up and throw it at enemies. The terrified cat would latch onto their face, scratching them and racking up their damage.

Different breeds could appear as well to liven up the place. I look forward to "Cats Only" matches.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord

Also, after looking at Sakurai's twitter, I think Sakurai's Cat should be an item. It would suddenly appear on the stage and walk around. You could pick it up and throw it at enemies. The terrified cat would latch onto their face, scratching them and racking up their damage.

Different breeds could appear as well to liven up the place. I look forward to "Cats Only" matches.
Maybe Sakurai's cat would be one of the Nintencats of Nintendogs + Cats!!!!

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Megaman is a highly demanded character what are you talking about and calm down with the flaming or I'll report you.

And I agree with SSBFan, Samurai Goroh should be in, but not in place of a new FE lord.

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden

I'd support that. LOL.

Especially if it replaced tripping.

Edit @Psycho Way too tired right now LOL. I knew there was something wrong with it.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
@CTR He's contributing to the thread while you're replying 283957 times with your pointless ****. Post something that adds to the conversation. Or don't post. lol.

OT: Anyone else think Bowser Jr's stage could be his airship? I don't think it'd really turn out like Pirate ship. There could be random times when a goomba/koopa might walk out, or something.

His Final Smash could be something like Yoshi's Island where Kamek turns him huge and he's in the background.
You are mixing up Baby Bowser with Bowser Jr

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Maybe Sakurai's cat would be one of the Nintencats of Nintendogs + Cats!!!!
That reminds me. When the Nintendog comes out of the Assist Trophy, for a short amount of time it will be able to be hit. If the opponent hits the Nintendog, the crowd will boo at them, and the match will stop as the player is taken away by the animal police. Should one of the space animals be present on the stage, they will just shake their heads at what this world has come to.

On the character select screen, the puppy-kicker's icon will be covered by iron bars. You must use the coins you have earned to bail them out. I look forward to such a feature that compels you to play more single-player modes.

D

Deleted member

KumaOso said:
That being said, I think MvC3, despite what SmashChu says, did a very good job with the balance of popular characters and surprises.
This is the only time where I'll accept a downgrade in characters; when the previous game's roster had terrible balancing issue. Overall, I really do like MvC3's roster (Still need to get the game, thought probably won't be able to due to this game and me needing to save up money for it).

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter

Sakurai loves cats? Well I guess more furries like Krystal an Wolf should make it in then.

D

Deleted member

I told myself that I wasn't even going to consider MVC3 until I saw some updates with X in it. And no, I'm not willing to settle for that Zero BS. Why does this always happen? Again?!

-

Have we really gone that far off from the balancing topic?
- I'm really hoping that Mega Man gets into either Marvel Vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds (Could still get in via DLC) or SSB4. I'd be incredibly disappointed to miss out on him again. That said, the former roster is still good aside from that black spot.

- I thought this was clearly discussing the balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom