• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Not really.... Melee added Side B moves and some other techniques like mid-air dodges and tether recoveries. Brawl improved tether recoveries (IMO) and added Final Smashes in addition to new techniques like swimming and footstool jumps. I am pretty sure Sakurai will keep adding new gameplay mechanics AND the new characters to use them (like how we got gliding but only Pit, Meta Knight, and Charizard could do them).
People were toppling all over each other just to get their hands on Melee to try out those new Side Specials weren't they? I'm not saying those weren't nice additions, or even minor, but the gameplay is still largely the same. You brought up that THING Sakurai mentioned. He definitely does not want to just add more of the same. No, he's said he likes to make each sequel notably different from the other. Some may scoff at that notion and say "HEH, yeah, he removed advanced techniques and added tripping," but what did Brawl also add? A robust story mode, stage building, and online to name a few. Those are the kinds of things Sakurai was referring to. AS FAR AS WE KNOW, Sm4sh will add interconnectivity among the two games and the 3DS version will have a way to build up characters.

It's MORE, just maybe not what some want.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
EDIT: I probably should have refreshed before posting. Oh well

New characters = new gameplay (we play Smash 4 differently from Brawl because we get many new playstyles to choose from in addition to a bunch of old characters to tide over the fans of the previous game)

Old characters = old gameplay (we play Smash 4 the same like we did with Brawl but with a couple new characters to quell our desire for new playstyles)

That's how I see it.
Why can't it be like how they went from 64-melee or like melee-brawl? Add more characters and tweak gameplay a bit.

64- 3 specials, 2 grabs, z canceling (iirc), crouch canceling (iirc), 12 chars.
Melee- 4 specials, 4 grabs, pummel, 2 shields, l canceling, side step, air dodge, tether, 24 chars.
Brawl- 5 specials (final smash), revamped air dodge, gliding, crawling, revamped tether, tripping :troll:, 39 chars.

I know I left some things out but this should be enough to get the point.

:phone:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You say that, but what new playstyles are you suggesting? You can't just throw in a bunch of new characters and say "They'll be unique" or something like that. You've got to actually come up with what's unique. If you don't actually come up with something, cutting all those characters and replacing them with new ones is stupid, since they'll more likely than not just take the properties of those who are cut.
Think outside the box.

Tingle got balloons... so he could float like Kirby and Jigglypuff. He's got bombs. Combine balloon fighting and bomb-throwing and you've got a character who's a living bomber plane.

Hunting Dog got ducks... so he could use them to fly like Pit. He's got the Zapper light gun and clay pigeons. Put them together and you've got a character who's got a great aerial game with long-distance projectiles.

Toad got superhuman strength and agility to his small size... put them together and you've got a small powerhouse with a strong grappling gameplay.

Meowth is a cat with coin-throwing powers. Put two and two together and you've got a nimble Catwoman-like fighter with shuriken-like coins.

Dixie & Kiddy are monkeys who fight together as a team. Dixie got long hair as a weapon and to fly around. Kiddy is your standard slow heavyweight with immense power that rivals Donkey Kong. Put them together and you get a team of fighters that switches positions to adapt different situations. Certainly far more interesting than a team of two small monkeys (Diddy & Dixie).

King Hippo and King K. Rool are both heavyweight kings with very different gameplay styles. King Hippo would be your standard heavyweight boxer with slow, powerful punches and poor jumping. King K. Rool would be a brutal heavyweight fighter with animal-like attacks involving claws and teeth... and he's got Klaptraps, the cannonball gun and the jet pack.

God, so many new gameplay styles that would make Smash 4 so different from Brawl... and people want to keep it the same as Brawl.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Well, you know, you can add all those "new playstyles" ALONGSIDE the playstyles we have now, just saiyan

Didn't Sakurai say something similar to this? I remember reading somewhere that Sakurai isn't interested in just adding more and more characters and stages in each game.
Ummm, the first page of this thread maybe? lol

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
One thing better not happen: Smash loses it's title as a fighter in SSB4 due too much casualty-favored engine and will be treated as a party game akin to Mario Party, just being skinned to look like a fun, unique fighting game...

Oasis... Back to SWAPNOTE, will ya. (-ì>í-)

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
We're just a bunch of naysayers trying to keep you down, aren't we Arcadenik.

@Horsetail: DON'T YOU GO ALL TRI-HY ON ME. Luckily I already have a note to express my feelings.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The goal of my rebooted roster is to make Smash 4 NOT Brawl 2.0. You want Jigglypuff, Ness, Captain Falcon, Falco, Sheik, Toon Link? Go play Brawl or ask for Smash 5. This isn't Brawl 2.0, this is Smash 4. This is a sequel, not an expansion. New characters take priority over old characters. I'm not very conservative when it comes to cutting. Remember what ChronoBound asked us last night? What if Sakurai decided to keep the roster size around Brawl's size? Well, that's the result.
All the games were unique because of their gameplay AND characters. Eliminating popular characters is frankly going to severely hurt sales. People still even wanted to play as Pichu in Brawl, despite him having no chance. Those cuts are still 100% unacceptable.

Toad > Bowser Jr. because Toad aesthetically looks different from Mario, Luigi, Peach, or Bowser... and Toad isn't likely to end up a clone of Mario, Luigi, Peach, or Bowser. Toad is far more marketable and popular compared to Bowser Jr. anyway.
And is about as likely as a piece of paper. Sakurai pretty much blatantly telling us he won't get in says something. He even has many Assist Trophies who had better chance. So no, I don't even see him having any reasonable chance. Atleast Jr.'s a bad guy, and something we lack. He has much more potential be be unique without making up almost all of his moves. I am not saying Toad is a bad choice, but to be honest, he's probably the only new guy outside of Third Party that you can get a general consensus on.

As for Punch-Out getting two reps, I don't see why not. Fire Emblem got two reps in Melee when there were none in Smash 64. Marth and Little Mac should have been in Smash 64 and Melee respectively. Melee fixed that for Fire Emblem and Smash 4 should fix that for Punch-Out. Punch-Out is also popular... always has been popular since the NES years. I specifically picked out King Hippo because he's the most popular/memorable/iconic villain of the series. There's a reason Nintendo chose to use his image to promote Punch-Out Wii. He's practically the Ridley of Punch-Out. What I meant by this statement is that like Metroid, Punch-Out have no true main villain but King Hippo stands out just like Ridley does.
Fire Emblem only got two characters in Melee because they decided to add clones. And that intelligent systems chose Roy as well, not to mention sales. None of these factors apply. Sakurai is the only one that can choose two, and the game series isn't popular enough to start off with two. I am fine with Little Mac, and as much as I love King Hippo, I don't even see either having that high of a chance.

As for Kid Icarus getting three reps, why not? Mother didn't need two characters in Brawl but it did get two. Star Fox didn't need two characters in Melee but it did get two. I notice Nintendo have been giving Kid Icarus more love than they did for Mother and Star Fox anyway. Nintendo hasn't done anything with Mother and most fans generally don't like Star Fox games except for Star Fox 64. Many fans want more female characters... there you go! At least they aren't fillers because they are the Peach/Zelda and Bowser/Ganondorf of the Kid Icarus series. Notice how we got both Peach/Bowser and Zelda/Ganondorf in Melee? Can't have one without the other... Palutena/Medusa are the same in that respect.
Because there's zero reason for it to get it. Perhaps in Smash 5. One added character for a smaller series is FINE. There's other spots for series underrepresented.

If Child Link was that important, why is it that he's always a last minute addition in Melee and Brawl? He doesn't have priority over Adult Link... he's only added in whenever Sakurai feels the roster isn't big enough. He wasn't even in Smash 64, we got Adult Link instead. He's one of my mains in Brawl and I still think he should be cut, especially when he is never going to be decloned anyway. It's the rule that similar characters should be clones of original characters. :rolleyes:
You do realize that Sakurai didn't know Adult Link couldn't use the Boomerang, and was only there because Child Link used it, right? You also do know that he specified he finds Child Link the true version of Link and wants to keep him in. Neither Link will be cut, but Adult Link is more likely in Sakurai's eyes. Only thing saving Adult Link is the original 12, respectively. And so what if they're clones? That is not a bad thing by any means. And fun fact about Smash 64; That's not Adult Link, it's a composite Link. If it was Adult Link, he'd have the bow instead. But he didn't. He wants both versions because they represent two series, Child and Adult versions.

The original 12 aren't that safe. Jigglypuff almost got the cut in Brawl and she was added back in very late when Sakurai decided to make the roster bigger. I think Ness was cut originally but added back in to make the roster bigger... and we know that Sakurai had always planned to replace Ness with Lucas since Melee. Well, consider this... if 35 slots were big enough for Sakurai, how big was it before we ultimately got 35 slots?
And she got in over 7 new characters. It doesn't matter if he wanted to replace the at first, but he decided not to. Cutting the original characters is a horrible idea in the first place, and will get nothing but hatred towards Sakurai. All 12 are here to stay.

Falco getting the cut. Oh yeah. We don't need three Star Fox characters with the same special moves. I picked Wolf over Falco because he's a villain and to balance the series, we got Star Fox vs. Star Wolf. Falco shouldn't have been in Smash in the first place. He was a last minute addition in Melee... and Wolf was originally planned to be in Brawl in the beginning but got cut later and then got added back in the last minute.
That's the lamest thing I ever heard. Falco was chosen by Sakurai, so he wanted him in if there was enough room. And you change their B moves, I mean, you know, that's not hard. He and Fox don't even play remotely alike. Clones are only a problem if they play pretty much exactly the same. That's never been the case in Smash, and is a poor reason to cut someone.

Sheik? Point of cutting Sheik and replacing with Impa is to separate Zelda and Sheik and keep both movesets but without transformation."Impa" is basically Sheik with an Impa model. You get to play as Sheik who looks like Impa.
It replaces a very popular character for a less popular one. That's why it's a bad idea on that alone. Also, replacing a great for a CLONE is even a worse idea. It won't happen. Sheik is not going to be replaced.

Pokemon. My choices go like this. Since Pokemon gets two reps in each Smash game and one is from 1st gen and the other is from the latest gen at that time. I keep one rep from each Smash game and add two reps. Pikachu > Jigglypuff. Mewtwo > Pichu. Pokemon Trainer > Lucario. Add Meowth and Zoroark.
Jigglypuff will never get cut, you need to get this through your head here. Same with Falcon, which is cutting an ENTIRE SERIES. That's also unacceptable. Your roster is beyond unrealistic and is a pipe dream at best.

No Isaac nor Saki because the roster only has 44 slots. Melee had 3 rows and 9 columns. Brawl had 4 rows and 9 columns. So I'm guessing Smash 4 might have 5 rows and 9 columns. Sakurai isn't going to put in 50+ characters. So I had to be very selective when it comes to adding new characters and keeping old characters.
Bump it to 50 or 55 then. There is no tiny limit. That's also pretty poor reasoning, since 4 Third Party slots over 2nd party and 1st party series just won't happen. A Square Enix rep, or... Captain Falcon? Yeah, F-Zero comes first.

I picked Starfy and Mii over Isaac and Saki because 1) there's a good possibility that Starfy was planned to be playable in Brawl at one point because Starly's trophy is grouped with the Fighter Related trophies and 2) Starfy have more games than Golden Sun and Sin & Punishment which tells me Starfy is more popular than those two series and 3) it is Mii, the most popular new character of the Wii years.
I did not say anything about Mii, though. That addition I like, actually. Although if it's just a generic fighter, I won't want him in. Only if it's the customizable character. As for Starfy, he's a literal rival to Kirby, so I don't see him that likely in the first place.

The fact some people don't like this roster tells me I'm doing it right.
:facepalm:

I know it sounds twisted but it will only make the fans demand Smash 5 with the cut characters coming back plus new characters who didn't get in Smash 4. If I had kept everyone from Brawl plus Roy, Mewtwo, Ridley, King K. Rool, Little Mac, Toad, Palutena or Medusa, Isaac, Saki, and Mega Man... fans would be too satisfied that they wouldn't be demanding Smash 5 as much as we did for Brawl and are currently doing for Smash 4.

A better idea is to NOT cut two-time veterans. One-offs, I can understand and respect. Hell, my preference against Toad is not something that I would stop playing this game for. It's the removal of key veterans that grind my gears. And overrepping series that sure don't need it. StarFox, one of the best selling series of all times, gets one of their characters cut, but two series suddenly get two new ones, and they aren't even nearly as popular? Yeah, bull. This roster is not going to be popular among anyone, except maybe yourself. Your cuts are horrible, except, honestly, I can deal with Lucario and Ike only. They're not that safe(although cuts shouldn't happen anyway). If Jigglypuff would've been removed, he would've added one of the Forbidden 7. Cutting Captain Falcon cuts an entire series completely. Cutting Sheik is horrible to most fans.

I've seen your second roster, and while exponentially better, I would even vote Toad over Dr. Mario myself. Now, I prefer Bowser Jr. well over Toad, but let's be honest, I would still play him. I'm not holding that one against you, even, but too many heroes and not enough villains exist. Also, I don't buy "adding a character because they're female" as a good reason. The character him or herself matters. Not their gender. If they're unique, well, gender doesn't matter, and many of the Pokemon can be female as well. Also, seriously, the roster just isn't completely without a 5th Gen. Lucario, PT, or Mewtwo has to go. Not sure which one to choose, but I'd say Lucario for Zoroark/Victini/Genesect.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
None of that stuff was particularly original Arc. We have a catwoman like fighter who basically uses shurikens, but you cut her in your roster. We have a brutal clawing heavyweight fighter, but he wasn't cut from the roster. You used analogies for the Duck Hunt dog to relate to an existing character who is also still in your roster. Mostly everything is just using a body type that we already have and swapping around a few attacks. That doesn't warrant cutting a third of the cast. That's not original. The closest thing you have to original is Dixie and Kiddy, and that's only because I can only really imagine them working in the way I hypothesized that Diddy/Dixie would have worked, and even that doesn't really add that much new.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes. You can't just add more and more characters and call it a day. The gameplay has to keep changing or people aren't gonna want to play it after a while.
Kinda reminds me of the pre Brawl days. Pretty much everyone wanted a Melee 2.0 if they could choose to have it that way. Brawl was not perfect, but I do think its slightly better than Melee still. At least felt they where having a better basic game. Melee only felt really good cause of the insane things you could do imo. It wasn't planned that way.

Still, I hope that the speed in the next game is more similar to Melee than to Brawl.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@ Pieman

There is no such thing as originality. All the good ideas have been taken... all that's left for us to do is to copy and improve... and mix and match.

@ HyperFalcon

Meowth's tail would be great for aerial attacks.... maybe one of the aerial attacks involves the tail. If it connects too early or too late, it is a weak Tail Whip... but if it sweetspots, it is a strong Iron Tail. Imagine getting a Meteor Smash with Meowth's Iron Tail! Just like what Tyson's Meowth did to Ash's Pikachu in the anime!

Pieman0920

Smash Master
@ Pieman

There is no such thing as originality. All the good ideas have been taken... all that's left for us to do is to copy and improve... and mix and match.
1) Characters can still be added with unique mechanics. Just look at Olimar and PT.
2) You're basically going against your sole reason for making such a horrible roster right there.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
1) Characters can still be added with unique mechanics. Just look at Olimar and PT.
2) You're basically going against your sole reason for making such a horrible roster right there.
Pokemon Trainer isn't that unique... he is basically Zelda/Sheik with a third transformation. But the gameplay it results ended up very different from Zelda/Sheik.

Hell, even the idea of a Diddy & Dixie (or Dixie & Kiddy) team isn't that unique... it's just Ice Climbers with Zelda/Sheik transformation. But the gameplay it results would be so different from Ice Climbers and Zelda/Sheik.

Olimar, I will give you that one... but is there any other newcomers with very unique, specialized gameplay like Olimar had in Brawl?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@Horsetail: DON'T YOU GO ALL TRI-HY ON ME. Luckily I already have a note to express my feelings.
???

What do I have to do with this?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
@ HyperFalcon

Meowth's tail would be great for aerial attacks.... maybe one of the aerial attacks involves the tail. If it connects too early or too late, it is a weak Tail Whip... but if it sweetspots, it is a strong Iron Tail. Imagine getting a Meteor Smash with Meowth's Iron Tail! Just like what Tyson's Meowth did to Ash's Pikachu in the anime!
When did I say I didn't like Meowth? I love the guy, but cutting Jigglypuff for him is where I draw the line. Read what I actually said. I like a good list of your new characters as is. Except we don't need two for both KI and PO. Those can get 1 each, and save space for the cut guys and new characters.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I personally think Jigglypuff is a higher priority for adding into Smash Bros. than any other Pokemon character with the exception of Pikachu. Jigglypuff is a Smash Bros. icon. I dealt with idiots who thought she should be cut for over 10 years. She may not be relevant to Pokemon anymore but she has been with Smash Bros. since the beginning.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
LULZ I confused HyperFalcon with Metal Overlord... he was the one who said something about Meowth's tail. :awesome:

My apologizes... if there are cuts, I would accept them as is... if any of the characters I cut come back in Smash 4, I would accept them as is... those characters are the ones I can live without... at least I got Melee and Brawl if I wanted to play as them again anyway. I guess that's why I am fine with cuts... because at least they have already been playable in previous games and I never throw away my games so I still play Smash 64 on my N64, Melee on my GCN, and Brawl on my Wii.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Pokemon Trainer isn't that unique... he is basically Zelda/Sheik with a third transformation. But the gameplay it results ended up very different from Zelda/Sheik.

Hell, even the idea of a Diddy & Dixie (or Dixie & Kiddy) team isn't that unique... it's just Ice Climbers with Zelda/Sheik transformation. But the gameplay it results would be so different from Ice Climbers and Zelda/Sheik.

Olimar, I will give you that one... but is there any other newcomers with very unique, specialized gameplay like Olimar had in Brawl?
The third character is unique, along with the Stamina system, even if that isn't all that well liked. I'd also say Snake and Meta-Knight were a lot different from any character prior.

But really though you're not really focusing on the main thing here. How exactly are you justifying cutting out a third of the characters and replacing them with less liked ones all so that you can have more characters with mixed and matched moves than you would otherwise?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Meta Knight to me seemed like Jigglypuff + Marth + more speed.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The third character is unique, along with the Stamina system, even if that isn't all that well liked. I'd also say Snake and Meta-Knight were a lot different from any character prior.

But really though you're not really focusing on the main thing here. How exactly are you justifying cutting out a third of the characters and replacing them with less liked ones all so that you can have more characters with mixed and matched moves than you would otherwise?
Just because. Because I would like Smash 4 to be a lot different from Brawl... if I got all the characters in Brawl in Smash 4, there's no point for me to replay Brawl anymore. I'd like each Smash game to have their own identities... I mean, what one game has, the others don't... that kind of thinking is where I am going with.

For example... Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. (Doki Doki Panic)... they are the games from the same series but they each have their unique identities. So, I have every reason to go back and play those old games even though I have Super Mario Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and Super Mario 3D Land. Each game are different from each other yet they are similar. That's what I would like to see with Smash games.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Just because. Because I would like Smash 4 to be a lot different from Brawl... if I got all the characters in Brawl in Smash 4, there's no point for me to replay Brawl anymore. I'd like each Smash game to have their own identities... I mean, what one game has, the others don't... that kind of thinking is where I am going with.

For example... Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. (Doki Doki Panic)... they are the games from the same series but they each have their unique identities. So, I have every reason to go back and play those old games even though I have Super Mario Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and Super Mario 3D Land. Each game are different from each other yet they are similar. That's what I would like to see with Smash games.
Changing the characters doesn't do that. Changing the mechanics goes that. The Mario games are all different because they have different gameplay styles. (Well maybe not Galaxy 1 and 2 that much). Smash, Melee, and Brawl all play differently, and Smash 4 probably will too, especially if there are new gameplay mechanics incorporated. Doing that though doesn't necessarily mean butchering the roster though.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I see what you mean, Arcade, but TBH, for me Brawl isn't really all that good enough for me to go back to, at least by myself

It's really only fun when you got a bunch of friends around you

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Changing the characters doesn't do that. Changing the mechanics goes that. The Mario games are all different because they have different gameplay styles. (Well maybe not Galaxy 1 and 2 that much). Smash, Melee, and Brawl all play differently, and Smash 4 probably will too, especially if there are new gameplay mechanics incorporated. Doing that though doesn't necessarily mean butchering the roster though.
I want new movesets. New playstyles. Period.

If Smash 4 is getting only 45 slots, I don't want only 10 new movesets/playstyles. I'm more than willing to let go of my favorite characters if it means getting 20 new ones.

I don't want just the same old movesets/playstyles but with different laws of physics.

yani

Smash Lord
So you can always adjust current character movesets instead of adding characters like duck hunt dog over Falcon

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I like watching my nephew play Brawl. While I'd say it was the weakest installment, it's still a very good game overall.

@Yani: Falcon brofist?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
See? Jigglypuff and Marth were quite high on the tier lists in Melee... when you combine the two, you get a broken character. :troll:
Add in a better B than both, and semi Godly recovery and you'll be glad Meta Knight was not in Melee.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So you can always adjust current character movesets instead of adding characters like duck hunt dog over Falcon

Oh, kinda like Mario getting FLUDD and Ganondorf and Bowser both getting new Side B's? It's nice... but it isn't enough. Unless you are suggesting that characters get different specials this time around.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I want new movesets. New playstyles. Period.

If Smash 4 is getting only 45 slots, I don't want only 10 new movesets/playstyles. I'm more than willing to let go of my favorite characters if it means getting 20 new ones.

I don't want just the same old movesets/playstyles but with different laws of physics.
But what you're asking for isn't new, and I'm not saying different physics. I'm saying mechanics. An overhaul on the system that changes each character fundamentally.

And even if it is what you want, and you are going to disregard past characters, why do you still have so many things that are essentially the same thing over again? The moveset you described or Meowth is very reminiscent of Sheik's, yet you want Impa to basically be a clone of her. You've got the Duck Hunt dog basically acting like Pit, but still have Pit right there. K.Rool is described like Bowser but different specials (shoots a gun, not fire!) and King Hippo isn't described to have anything new at all. And you've still got Mario and Luigi in there.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Hey, if Falcon gets cut, at least Ganondorf is fully unique! :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom