• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'm not going to make to much of it for now, I am jealous though at the Sonic albums. I only got the Sonic CD ost, and I got it from iTunes. :p
I think hes taken pictures of a lot of games like CoD, and DQ, soooo... I wouldn't put anything into it.

Anyways, I honestly don't know what to think of that comment. He means it's going to be simpler, obviously, but in what ways? We could probably assume something like, less modes... but an extensive mode that allows you to "build up" a character. That's all I got. Whether thats a SSE2 or not, is beyond me.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Anyways, I honestly don't know what to think of that comment. He means it's going to be simpler, obviously, but in what ways? We could probably assume something like, less modes... but an extensive mode that allows you to "build up" a character. That's all I got. Whether thats a SSE2 or not, is beyond me.
Simpler? That's a good way to put it without rushing to conclusions.

A remake of 64 though, would be pretty awesome regardless.

yani

Smash Lord
Sounds like Sakurai's taking bribes.
In that case.. I must ship out 100 copies of Super Mario RPG and Banjo Kazooie to get what I want :awesome::laugh::troll:

..I MEAN IT.

But the Sega one is the most interesting. They went HAM with that.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
So who's the new pokemon going to be? Melee was Mewtwo and Brawl has Lucario. who's next?

:phone:
Do you have any idea what you've just done?! Just as I thought I would stop by the thread, incoming Pokemon debate. I can already hear the Victini fanboys swarming nearer.

Seeya tomorrow, fellas!

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Simpler? That's a good way to put it without rushing to conclusions.

A remake of 64 though, would be pretty awesome regardless.
I recall someone attempting to revert Brawl back to 64. I was very excited to say the least. Everyone loses there Neutral Bs, combos and whatnot are reverted back to 64's method, and physics are changed. Super awesome. too bad none of it happened.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
And SquareEnix sent Sakurai a copy of Rocket Slime 2. :awesome:

Truth is Sakurai's gaming habits and personal gifts do not reflect what will or will not happen in regards to the roster he designs. Just because he is playing Skyward Sword at the moment does not mean Ghirahim, Impa, or Groose have a better chance at becoming playable than they had before he played the game.

In regards to third party characters it is important to note that they left the door open with Brawl for other guest characters if other companies came to Sakurai and his team. It is important to establish this because it shows that the lack of guest characters was not due to Nintendo, but because other companies did not care. Solid Snake and Sonic the Hedgehog were the only two Sakurai himself decided he wanted to include. The reason this is something worth noting is because we see comments from a few gaming directors, even jokingly, that they would like to see their character in a Smash Bros title. However, this is not to say those directors and companies will be successful. Remember in that same article it states that characters added should be fun to play as and not added simply for the novelty of it.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Do you have any idea what you've just done?! Just as I thought I would stop by the thread, incoming Pokemon debate. I can already hear the Victini fanboys swarming nearer.

Seeya tomorrow, fellas!
*swarm*
*swarm*
*swarm*

:awesome:

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
The floodgates have opened!

Just kidding McNinja, Hoots has experienced his fair share of Pokemon debates, usually a bout between the "popular" fifth generation (B&W) of pokemon.

McNinja said:
So who's the new pokemon going to be?
Its often the expectation that the latest gen and its distinguished appeal will be represented (marketing purpose and relevance).

There are few that could due justice to the series as a whole so its often a toss up for which one inspires certain phenomena or "criteria".

yani

Smash Lord
I knew I forgot one! Ahh well :urg:

Truth is Sakurai's gaming habits and personal gifts do not reflect what will or will not happen in regards to the roster he sets. Just because he is playing Skyward Sword at the moment does not mean Ghirahim, Impa, Groose have a better chance at becoming playable than they had before he played the game.
You're right, gifts are just gifts. BUT I do think him playing SS would essentially boost chances for a possible Ghirahim , Impa, and/or Groose as a playable character. I believe this because he had stated he would think of Smash while developing KI, so I'm sure while he's playing a Nintendo game, he's also looking for possible inclusions

D

Deleted member

If anything, I can see the Metal Gear and Sonic gifts he got were because of Snake and Sonic being in Brawl.

@Yani: But remember that he was DEVELOPING Uprising. It's a different case.
(And most likely it will just be features from the game will be included in Sm4sh, it may not necessarily be a character like people jump the gun about.)

@Star: One thing Mega Man has is the fact that Sakurai actually stated pre-Melee that he has a lot of support overseas, and that a Capcom character in the new Smash is not outside the realm of possibility.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I knew I forgot one! Ahh well :urg:
Well they also technically sent him a copy of Fortune Street and FFXIII-2 as well. Point is a lot of gaming companies send him a lot of gifts. That is just one of the perks of being a major developer inside the gaming industry.

@Star: One thing Mega Man has is the fact that Sakurai actually stated pre-Melee that he has a lot of support overseas, and that a Capcom character in the new Smash is not outside the realm of possibility.
That is true, but it makes me wonder how meaningful those words were when he, as far as we know, was not even considered for Brawl.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Snake and Sonic are almost guaranteed to return, unless Sega and Konami don't want them. Which is unlikely. They made the agreements before, so likely it'll be easier this time. Not a big fan of either, but I feel Snake really added something different to Smash. Therefore he can stay to me

yani

Smash Lord
@Yani: But remember that he was DEVELOPING Uprising. It's a different case.
Correct indeed, but I still believe he'd keep a keen eye throughout any Ninty game he plays. Just my hunch of course

(And most likely it will just be features from the game will be included in Sm4sh, it may not necessarily be a character like people jump the gun about.)
Absolutely! I didn't mean to sound like characters are the only thing he's scouting for. While he's playing SS I'm SURE a Skyloft Stage comes to mind :awesome:

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
In regards to third party characters it is important to note that they left the door open with Brawl for other guest characters if other companies came to Sakurai and his team. It is important to establish this because it shows that the lack of guest characters was not due to Nintendo, but because other companies did not care. Solid Snake and Sonic the Hedgehog were the only two Sakurai himself decided he wanted to include. The reason this is something worth noting is because we see comments from a few gaming directors, even jokingly, that they would like to see their character in a Smash Bros title. However, this is not to say those directors and companies will be successful. Remember in that same article it states that characters added should be fun to play as and not added simply for the novelty of it.
I don't think it's that open. Off the top of my head, I believe Capcom stated pre-Brawl, that they were never approached by Nintendo to have one of their characters in Brawl.

So I do think Nintendo has to at least have some interest in who they let in before they start paying legal fees and drawing up contracts.

D

Deleted member

@nLiM8d: I like your idea for a Diddy & Dixie Kong concept. Although this part I'm not understanding.
it would actually be an attack. Ideally there would be a counter to limit how frequent you can switch to the other character(perhaps 5-7 seconds). Becuse this is actually an attack technique, the hitbox of the current character and the one being switched in, is LIVE. You can hit, but you can also be hit, use it wisely.
Could you explain how switching out is an attack and what would happen if Diddy and Dixie Kong were to use attacks while switching?
McNinja said:
So who's the new pokemon going to be? Melee was Mewtwo and Pichu and Brawl has Lucario and Pokemon Trainer. who's next?
Bold adds in who else made it.

The Pokemon franchise is a hard one to determine and is one of the most unpredictable. There's many thing we should consider. 5th gen, the possibility of them doing a Roy on Pokemon (giving us 6th gen instead of 5th gen), Mewtwo's return, and maybe even a 3rd gen.

I think we'll see Mewtwo return. The 5th gen is much less certain, as it is not guarantee a rep and if it does get one, there's no real guarantee Pokemon like there was with Lucario. Ask most people and they'll say either Zoroark or Victini. I'm thinking our rep will be one of those two.

@Starphoenix: I think I recall Mega Man, Professor Layton, and Travis Touchdown receiving developer interest. But if we do get third-party characters back, I would say Mega Man is by far the most likely. But I could see Layton in there as well. Travis Touchdown is almost certainly never getting in.

Sir Ilpalazzo

Smash Apprentice
If anything, I can see the Metal Gear and Sonic gifts he got were because of Snake and Sonic being in Brawl.
I don't think I would go that far. Sakurai is just a really prominent figure in the Japanese gaming industry, so he has a ton of friends who send him stuff. Remember that Snake got in just because Kojima and Sakurai are friends. I wouldn't try to connect the stuff you see on his Twitter to Smash Bros. (unless we believe that Sakurai's cat will be playable in SSB4, which I wouldn't mind).

I'm going to second Shortiecanbrawl's sentiment: everyone who comes into this thread and intends to post seriously should read this article. It's very illuminating.

Sakurai talks about including "custom characters" for the 3DS version. What do you think about this? Does he mean that you'll be able to customize existing characters (basically like stickers, as other people mentioned), or does he actually mean characters that you make yourself? Because if it's the latter, I don't see any way Nintendo wouldn't work Miis in.

edit: I am a slow typist

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I think a lot of developers would say "Ha, wouldn't that be cool if my character was in Smash," but a lot of developers would never say "I'm going to actively pursue getting my character into Smash."

yani

Smash Lord
Speaking of Skyloft, do you guys think we'll see a Skyward version of Link, or do yall think we'll keep the TP version of him (Which appeared in the Zelda Wii-U demo)

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Could you explain how switching out is an attack and what would happen if Diddy and Dixie Kong were to use attacks while switching?
The crucial point about this switch is that is an attack in itself.

In Diddy's Kong Quest, there is a distinct animation that indicates that a switch is occuring. The imagination behind this idea comes from how uniique this switch is in comparison to other games.

Diddy and Dixie both have 'abrupt' ways in assuming the command

-When switched to Diddy, he grabs dixe's hair and throws her up and back 0:56
-When switched to Dixie, she kicks Diddy from behind knocking him up and back 2:30

These motions themselves could have attack properties.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
That is true, but it makes me wonder how meaningful those words were when he, as far as we know, was not even considered for Brawl.
Sakurai has also specifically said Sonic and Snake were the only ones considered. So besides that mysterious Nintendo character with lisencing issue, we should just go with they were the only two considered.

And, I think the fact that Layton and Touchdown were even mentioned calls for a nice spoonful of hope crushing. It's not going to be one of them, so... jump on the big five train, and pick your company mascot. (Sonic, Snake, Megs, Slime/Mage, Pac-Man)

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I don't think I would go that far. Sakurai is just a really prominent figure in the Japanese gaming industry, so he has a ton of friends who send him stuff. Remember that Snake got in just because Kojima and Sakurai are friends. I wouldn't try to connect the stuff you see on his Twitter to Smash Bros. (unless we believe that Sakurai's cat will be playable in SSB4, which I wouldn't mind).

I'm going to second Shortiecanbrawl's sentiment: everyone who comes into this thread and intends to post seriously should read this article. It's very illuminating.

Sakurai talks about including "custom characters" for the 3DS version. What do you think about this? Does he mean that you'll be able to customize existing characters (basically like stickers, as other people mentioned), or does he actually mean characters that you make yourself? Because if it's the latter, I don't see any way Nintendo wouldn't work Miis in.

edit: I am a slow typist
The one thing I have noticed about Sakurai is he always expands upon the new systems he introduces in the previous title in the next. The idea I have speculated is the the sticker system in Subspace Emissary. More recent you could also look at the Heroes and Heralds mode in Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom. Those to me are what I am expecting because it is the direction Sakurai has already established. I have wanted to do a large write up on my idea on how it could work between both the 3DS and Wii U, but I cannot be lax on my college work.

I think a lot of developers would say "Ha, wouldn't that be cool if my character was in Smash," but a lot of developers would never say "I'm going to actively pursue getting my character into Smash."
Exactly. Yet at the same time because that possibility exists it cannot be eliminated altogether. It just is not likely. Again, the old quotes from Sakurai and Miyamoto about guest characters pretty much lay out how it will work even if we have those characters in the next game.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Is that the Mic I know.

I think sometime I'm going to e-mail Namco about Etemon in Smash just to see what they'll say. Assuming they have a "comments and suggestions" address THING.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
The one thing I have noticed about Sakurai is he always expands upon the new systems he introduces in the previous title in the next. The idea I have speculated is the the sticker system in Subspace Emissary. More recent you could also look at the Heroes and Heralds mode in Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom. Those to me are what I am expecting because it is the direction Sakurai has already established. I have wanted to do a large write up on my idea on how it could work between both the 3DS and Wii U, but I cannot be lax on my college work.
This kind of excites me because it means the adventure mode this time around, may not take so much of focus. While he may give a lot of focus to customizing characters, at least that requires GOOD balancing. Something a crappy storymode really doesn't.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Idk if any of you care, but I might be making an Avatar shop soon, called Aura Wares. Just makin' Avatars inspired by SSB4, and with Photoshop. Once again, if any of you care, now you know.

Also, Master Chief 4 Sm4sh (Waits for reaction :troll:)

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hmm..there's aDiddy/Dixie tagteam idea a couple pages back, but I don't feel like jumping in with my opinion of the basic concept of it. :/

Anyone have some ideas for Samus? Phazon-based weaponry would be interesting.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I'd like to hear it, for sure.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I hope competitive Smash becomes more like Mario Kart with SSB4. No stupid advanced stuff. Just have to play smart.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Truth is Sakurai's gaming habits and personal gifts do not reflect what will or will not happen in regards to the roster he designs.
Sakurai goes to the hospital for a doctor's appointment. Dr. Mario confirmed!

Sakurai experiences an earthquake in Tokyo. Isaac confirmed!

Sakurai brushes his teeth. Chibi Robo confirmed! :troll:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Sakurai goes to the hospital for a doctor's appointment. Dr. Mario confirmed!

Sakurai experiences an earthquake in Tokyo. Isaac confirmed!

Sakurai brushes his teeth. Chibi Robo confirmed! :troll:

Sakurai hints on Lip all the time in SSB-series, wants everyone to try Puzzle League = LIP CONFIRMED FOR SSB4 OR EVENTUALLY TO BE PLAYABLE

EDIT: Sakurai saying our patience would be rewarded when doing SSB... he better be right! I just don't want to see my waiting wasted due my wished characters and features being more trolled and scrapped. (-l_i-)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom