• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
They were the only thing that made WiiWare remotely noticeable to me. Now that they're gone, it is a sad day in Nintendo history.

Good bye forever, Hudson. Along with it, any chance of it coming to Smash.
They were a huge force for the Virtual Console and quite possibly the largest third-party supporter for it (alongside Sega). They brought so many Japan-only titles over to the Virtual Console. They even brought over the long sought after gem, Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (although it was developed by Konami, it was Hudson that brought it over here to the Virtual Console). Hudson really did make a really good push for the Virtual Console.

On the topic of Banjo-Kazooie, they have no chance since they are now owned by Microsoft, which is a competitor of Nintendo's.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I'm not at all a Hudson fan, but seeing as it's a such a classic gaming company, it's a shame to see it closing it's doors. :(

On the topic of Banjo-Kazooie, they have no chance since they are now owned by Microsoft, which is a competitor of Nintendo's.
Now with that out of the way we can stop bringing them up. :rolleyes:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
They were a huge force for the Virtual Console and quite possibly the largest third-party supporter for it (alongside Sega). They brought so many Japan-only titles over to the Virtual Console. They even brought over the long sought after gem, Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (although it was developed by Konami, it was Hudson that brought it over here to the Virtual Console). Hudson really did make a really good push for the Virtual Console.

Hmmm... How were Diddy Kong and the rest of the Kongs chosen to stay with Nintendo? Just because of DK, or was there something else?

:phone:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I should keep this in mind more often.

@Poppy: Nintendo always owned DK and all related characters.

That includes the Kremlings in case someone didn't know.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I should keep this in mind more often.

@Poppy: Nintendo always owned DK and all related characters.

That includes the Kremlings in case someone didn't know.
Wait... Don't they own all original characters that appeared in DK games through association?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Hmmm... How were Diddy Kong and the rest of the Kongs chosen to stay with Nintendo? Just because of DK, or was there something else?

Because when Rare split from Nintendo, they made a deal.

Nintendo would get to keep all the characters that Rare made for Nintendo franchises such as Donkey Kong and Star Fox.

Rare would get to keep the rights to all the series that they made while they were a second-party to Nintendo.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

When Rare was sold, Nintendo got the rights for all the derivative characters from Donkey Kong and Starfox.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Because when Rare split from Nintendo, they made a deal.

Nintendo would get to keep all the characters that Rare made for Nintendo franchises such as Donkey Kong and Star Fox.

Rare would get to keep the rights to all the series that they made while they were a second-party to Nintendo.
Well with that, I may have just found something in that deal that I'm sure Nintendo would like to hear.
Anyone else want to hear my crazy idea?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Looks like Hudson will be closing down:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=34340786#post34340786

They were bought out by Konami last year, and it looks like that will shut down completely on March 1st.

This is a very sad moment for gaming. For those who don't know, they were the developers of Bomberman (and various other series such as Star Soldier, Bloody Roar, Adventure Island, Bonk).

How this relates to Smash Bros. is that this pretty much ends the dreams of those that wanted to see Bomberman in Smash Bros.
R.I.P. Bomberman. I didn't want this to happen to him at all and I supported him for a while. Bomberman Blast was the best game that I had bought off the Playstation Network. Oh well, it's just Mega Man and another third party now. :(

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Even Megaman is pretty bleak considering Capcom hates him now...
But hes gonna be in SFxT so it might change.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Maan, HUDSON DEFINED WHAT I AM TODAY!!!

Bloody Roar and Bomberman!!! MY CHILDHOOD!

Bonk, Higgins, Yuna and Milon!!! They were awesome, so awesome. (Especially Bonk who I regard as one of the best platformer-series ever made in 90's.)

(-;A;-)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This means we might not see the other Mario Parties on the VC. :(

Anyway, I wouldn't say Banjo-Kazooie has zero chance. Just very unlikely. I'd think Killer Instinct has better chance for reps if any.(Nintendo only, regardless of being owned by Microsoft)

Pichu Fan

Smash Journeyman
WHAT? HUDSON GO DEAD? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
(maybe nintendo will let Hudson have one character to show how awesome hudson was, and how much Hudson helped nintendo with the VC and such. I'm all for bomber man)

EDIT: Anyone alive?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Nope, I'm completely dead. I took a Meta Knight to the knee. >_>

Joking aside, I do hope Konami might allow all the Mario Parties to come onto the VC. In fact, I have a feeling they might have a better chance now. Konami's more pushy, I think.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
EDIT: Sakurai saying our patience would be rewarded when doing SSB... he better be right! I just don't want to see my waiting wasted due my wished characters and features being more trolled and scrapped. (-l_i-)*
I really do hope this is the case.

Sakurai likes being generic with his answers.
Toad and Bandana Dee confirmed. :troll:

Bad jokes confirmed. :glare:

On another topic, what do you guys think of command normals? These are normals that have inputs outside of the normal commands. For example, doing down-forward tilt A could give Ness a yo-yo poke.
Elaborate please, I'm not getting it.

I'll be announcing something a little new now. WiFiers, listen too.

My new mains go from Wolf>Lucario. I only use them now, and I'm better with Wolf, for some reason ._. Forgive me, Lucario!

(That does not mean I suck with Lucario T3T It only means I'll kick ur @$$ faster with Wolf :troll:)
Hmmmm......care to play? oh wait

Pichu Fan is the new Metal Overlord.
LOL

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Elaborate please, I'm not getting it.
Standard response to Kuma?

Also, about Hudson dying, the rights to stuff like Bomberman and junk have to go SOMEWHERE, don't they? Although, I guess the concern is more what Konami DOES with them.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
@Iblis: Basically no different from playing Soul Calibur to do a really cool move. Same with throwing a Fireball in Street Fighter.

Or in other words, taking away the basic style for extra moves that could be done without it. Just change the movesets to be a bit less generic.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
On a side note on Hudson's demise, pick up Star Parodier. It was a Japan-only PC-Engine (Turbografx CD) game that is basically cutesy take on their Star Soldier franchise. The game is enjoyable and easy enough for those who have absolutely no experience with shmups. The three characters you play as in it are Bomberman, Paraceaser (the ship from the Star Soldier series), and a PC-Engine.

Hudson backing the Virtual Console so strongly was the reason why even got such unknown gems such as that. Barely anyone had ever played the PC-Engine's games in the West, and due to Hudson's strong support, we got to play the best of its library, even getting Rondo of Blood (which is a true classic especially if you are a fan of the Castlevania series).

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
So what, Konami's whole reason for buying Hudson was to kill them off? That's what it seems like. Not even a final Hudson super compilation? Damn it.
Quoted for the MFing truth. Konami=dead in my eyes

Atleast bomberman still manages to put on a happy face. Stay strong buddy, everything will be ok T_T

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Hmmmmm....I see, idk if it would still feel like Smash anymore though
I'd say it wouldn't. Dancing Blade via Marth was unique and allowed you to do some of that. But it wasn't part of every character, so it was specific to him(and Roy in Melee). I just wish it was as hard as Melee, and not near automatic like in Brawl.

It's cool as a special, but I'd rather keep it that way at best. Same with combos. Dial-ins don't work in Smash style since the idea of combos is to make them up yourself completely. Likewise, they don't work all the time due to stages, and the ability to DI, etc. That's what makes them beyond unique, and keeps the flavor up.

^ Wrong. Hudson was bought off because they were in financial trouble. Konami could easily help them. That's a really bad accusation, and I doubt Konami would try to kill them. Microsoft, however... they won't let Rare do anything but Banjo-Kazooie at most.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
People should not be in such dismay over Hudsons closure. There is a good chance Konami actually does not have nor will retain Hudson's IPs, so there is a remote possibility another company could purchase one of their series. The question is are those IP worth purchasing?

yani

Smash Lord
Why do you say that Star? Wouldn't they WANT to keep Hudson's IPs?

Would be cool if Nintny picked up Bomberman though

D

Deleted member

People should not be in such dismay over Hudsons closure. There is a good chance Konami actually does not have nor will retain Hudson's IPs, so there is a remote possibility another company could purchase one of their series. The question is are those IP worth purchasing?
How is that a good thing? If they won't retain the rights to the Hudson Soft IP's, as you said, there's a remote chance that any of them will be bought. Thus they die and can never be used again.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Looks like Hudson will be closing down:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=34340786#post34340786

They were bought out by Konami last year, and it looks like that will shut down completely on March 1st.

This is a very sad moment for gaming. For those who don't know, they were the developers of Bomberman (and various other series such as Star Soldier, Bloody Roar, Adventure Island, Bonk).

How this relates to Smash Bros. is that this pretty much ends the dreams of those that wanted to see Bomberman in Smash Bros.
Hmm, such a shame. Thus another worthy character goes off the ledge. Bomberman, I believe, deserves a spot, sitting next to Mega Man. He hasd so much potential.

Grant Kirkhope left a while ago.

So, who else do we have as a reasonable choice? Off the top of my head:

Megaman
Pac-Man
Ryu
Rayman
Simon Belmont
Geno
Slime
Travis Touchdown

Feel free to add on to this.
Reasonably, I'd put down Amaterasu. :cool: Same rank as Ryu, so I don't wanna hear ya'lls complaining (Not in wants, but in probability).

If only, if only... DK64 was GREAT, too.

DK64<DKC2

Pichu Fan is the new Metal Overlord.
Heh, this is proving to be true. Thus the Metal is getting rusty, or am I wrong? :troll:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Why do you say that Star? Wouldn't they WANT to keep Hudson's IPs?

Would be cool if Nintny picked up Bomberman though
Not necessarily. If Konami finds no profit to be made off of retaining Hudson's property than they can always sell it to some other company to get some type of investment from it. Again, it is a matter of whether those series are worth anything to anyone else. If not I see the likes of Bomberman and the rest falling into the chasm of obscurity (not that they have not already).

Funny you bring that up because Nd Cube, a subsidiary company of Nintendo's, is made up of former Hudson staff members. Hypothetically if Nintendo were to purchase the rights to Bomberman or any other Hudson property I could see them handing those series off to Nd Cube, as they obviously would have experience with Bomberman and such. Problem is I do not think Nintendo knows or cares to go after those series, but you never know. I would certainly like Nintendo to acquire Bomberman since I could see them at least using him in some fashion.

How is that a good thing? If they won't retain the rights to the Hudson Soft IP's, as you said, there's a remote chance that any of them will be bought. Thus they die and can never be used again.
Because at least there is a possibility Konami may try to pawn them off as I have stated above.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Not necessarily. If Konami finds no profit to be made off of retaining Hudson's property than they can always sell it to some other company to get some type of investment from it. Again, it is a matter of whether those series are worth anything to anyone else. If not I see the likes of Bomberman and the rest falling into the chasm of obscurity (not that they have not already).

Funny you bring that up because Nd Cube, a subsidiary company of Nintendo's, is made up of former Hudson staff members. Hypothetically if Nintendo were to purchase the rights to Bomberman or any other Hudson property I could see them handing those series off to Nd Cube, as they obviously would have experience with Bomberman and such. Problem is I do not think Nintendo knows or cares to go after those series, but you never know. I would certainly like Nintendo to acquire Bomberman since I could see them at least using him in some fashion.
If Nintendo bought Bomberman, it would definatly give him a huge boost for SSB5 (if there is to be so).

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It's cool as a special, but I'd rather keep it that way at best. Same with combos. Dial-ins don't work in Smash style since the idea of combos is to make them up yourself completely. Likewise, they don't work all the time due to stages, and the ability to DI, etc. That's what makes them beyond unique, and keeps the flavor up.
That's the same in every other fighting game. Those combos in other fighting games are actually made up by the players. You'll have things set in like this chains into this or that, but that does not mean those are the only combos. You gotta find combos based on frame data, hitboxes, and the like.

Take Tekken, there are a lot of strings for each character, but watch a combo video and you'll see that no combo is something you'll find in the command list.

@Iblis
Command normals are normals that exist outside of the normal input found in the normal attack template. For example, Daimon in KOF has a down-forward heavy punch attack. The down-forward input is typically not part of a template. One way to think of it is to be adding an append to the template for a specific characte.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom