• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
To be fair, Tingle is more like Wario,

Paper Mario for one, IS Mario, the Paper Mario games feature characters from the main series (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser), and contains elements from the main series as well as it's own.
Double Bingo!

Just like how everybody groups Yoshi and Wario together with the other Mario characters. Those symbols aren't FOOLIN' NOBODY.
If Wario is a Mario character, so is Donkey and Diddy.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Hmm, i'm not so sure, seeing as Wario was meant to be Mario's rival and has appeared in several Mario games (albeit mostly spinoffs such as Mario Kart and Mario Party), but at the same time, i recognize Wario as I recognize Yoshi, with their own series as spinoff chars. Then again, the difference between Wario and Yoshi is that Yoshi still commonly appears in Mario games today, whereas Wario just goes down his own series.

yani

Smash Lord
To be fair, Tingle is more like Wario, in the sense that he is a different character from the main series character (Link) and has his own series of games that don't involve any of the main series characters nor gameplay.

Paper Mario for one, IS Mario, the Paper Mario games feature characters from the main series (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser), and contains elements from the main series as well as it's own.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Wario & Tingle on the other hand are two fat guys that have their own spin off series'

D

Deleted member

Great, with all this talk of Wario and Tingle, now I'm picturing a team-up of sorts...

Things are going to get ugly....LITERALLY....

They fuse together to become.....

Watingle!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
DK and Diddy are in no way Mario characters. Why do I have to keep disagreeing?

:phone:

yani

Smash Lord
@Shortie I really dig it! Especially if that tower is a spinning Tingle Tower. The one on the right reminds me of SSB64 Peach's Castle Tinglefied

@Golden Wario & Tingle are the new dream team. Two fat guys on a mission to get rich!

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I don't mind if people want Tingle to have the Rupeeland symbol, even though I think it's silly, but to suggest that SOLELY BECAUSE his symbol isn't the Triforce means we can have another Zelda character is...

Stupid.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
You don't, I can't fathom that Diddy is in any way a Mario character.

Diddy is a Rare character. Closed that chapter.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Perhaps DK, not so sure about Diddy being a mario char, he was more a creation of DK. Hmm...

Also, I'd actually kind of love it if the picture to the left was the stage, just because I like those tiny floating platforms that players could use to get to the top. Just seems like a really awesome idea, to have people battling as they're trying to get up/down from the plaforms.

D

Deleted member

I don't mind if people want Tingle to have the Rupeeland symbol, even though I think it's silly, but to suggest that SOLELY BECAUSE his symbol isn't the Triforce means we can have another Zelda character is...

Stupid.
I'm the former. I want Tingle to have the Rupeeland symbol. Tingle has his own series, and that should be taken to account. I don't think it would affect the addition of another Triforce symbol character, however.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I'm the former. I want Tingle to have the Rupeeland symbol. Tingle has his own series, and that should be taken to account. I don't think it would affect the addition of another Triforce symbol character, however.
THING IS we'll be lucky to get either Tingle or Ghirahim. Neither are the greatest of picks. So it's annoying to see people suggest "We can have both! See? Tingle isn't actually a Zelda character!" Just. You're not pulling one over anybody.

Though really it's mostly when people say that about Paper Mario when I get MOST IRKED. :I

"Paper Mario isn't a Mario character!"

Desperation at its worst.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
You don't, I can't fathom that Diddy is in any way a Mario character.

Diddy is a Rare character. Closed that chapter.
Of course he is.

Just like Mona and Syrup are Wario characters.

No one should bunch Wario with the Mario franchise. Yoshi is a different Story...harhar.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Alright, we've told you before, now get back in the cupboard....

But in all seriousness this is just one of those things that depends on opinion because it likely won't be solved by us.
When do I get to move to the upstairs bedroom? The cupboard under the stairs is quite cramped, Aunt Petunia.... :urg:

Shortie, I really like that drawing. Great ambient colour scheme with the sunset and it is a nice, basic stage. The platforms sticking out farther than the ledge would be a twist that hasn't really been done on a stage yet, completely.

With regards to Tingle: He is a Zelda character. However, he has received a spinoff series and a remake to Balloon Fighter under his own name, and while this doesn't make him his own separate character, it merits giving him a unique symbol. Similar, as I said, to Yoshi. I think I will always support Tingle over Ghirahim for the troll factor of playing as him and having the most troll-ish moveset in the game.

D

Deleted member

THING IS we'll be lucky to get either Tingle or Ghirahim. Neither are the greatest of picks. So it's annoying to see people suggest "We can have both! See? Tingle isn't actually a Zelda character!" Just. You're not pulling one over anybody.

Though really it's mostly when people say that about Paper Mario when I get MOST IRKED. :I

"Paper Mario isn't a Mario character!"

Desperation at its worst.
I agree with the Paper Mario scenario, but I have to disagree with the "We can have both only if Tingle has a different icon" thing. We could have both anyway, even if Tingle had a Triforce icon.
It didn't stop Meta Knight AND Dedede. Nor Peach AND Bowser. Nor Pokemon Trainer AND Lucario.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Tingle and Ghirahim don't compare to any of those characters. Really, I wouldn't bet on us getting either of them.

yani

Smash Lord
You're right, we will be lucky to get one of them, and they're both good choices. Tingle has the perk of having his own series, while Ghirahim has the perk of being from Skyward Sword, which is the first Zelda in the timeline. Sort of how Sheik is from OoT, the best Zelda (assuming we never see Sheik in another game of course).

If Ghirahim AND Tingle were to get in, Ghirahim would get a Zelda slot and Tingle can also get Zelda, OR his own series. Doesn't matter to me. No need to be a party pooper mayn

edit - inb4impavsheik

D

Deleted member

Ghirahim, not so much, but I can see Tingle having a good shot with what he has on his resume.

Anyways, I just looked at all of the Dojo pages for characters for the lulz, and I found something that is not going to make people happy about Toon Link....he's not that likely to get moves different from Link in Sm4sh....

"Those who have played Link should enjoy playing Toon Link, too. As a rule, the special moves are the same."
As a rule? So pretty much, Young/Toon/whatever Link HAS to have the same Specials? Which means, had Toon Zelda made the cut...there REALLY would've been a Toon Sheik....and Toon Zelda WOULD have had the same Specials....which means that Light Arrows would have been the new Landmaster.
EDIT: Now we know why Toon Zelda didn't make the cut.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Shortie said:
Yoshi is a different Story...harhar.
Teehee*

I'd say so, not to say that I'm really concerned over the semantics, but characters that tend to veer away in their own directions (of platforming) are distinguished.

The only reason the counter argument exists is a ploy to dismiss potential Mario picks.

I'd call PM a mario character, yet he is still distinguished. He is mario, but formally known as Paper as his sir title.

At the end of the day, it really comes down to a character people would like to play as.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Is it gross, that I would much rather see no new franchises, and just build up on the existing ones?

No third parties.

A Mario character
A Wario character
Two Dk characters
A LoZ character
Two Pokemon characters
A Kid Icarus Character
A F-Zero Character
A StarFox character
A Metroid character
A Fire Emblem Character
Two Small Franchise characters

Sound good? I think so. (I left out Kirby and Mother, I hope no one minds)

D

Deleted member

Sad to say, I feel the same way. Except for 3rd Parties. Keep Snake, Sonic, and add Mega Man.
I'd also increase the Two small franchise to 3 or 4.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
But you said... :troll:
Well I feel like if we don't add any, it would be silly, despite how much I want it. I would rather have Little Mac and a retro than Bandana Dee and Claus..

Sad to say, I feel the same way. Except for 3rd Parties. Keep Snake, Sonic, and add Mega Man.
I'd also increase the Two small franchise to 3 or 4.
That would be 17 newcomers, I kept it at 14 (Which, is a lot... but I cut Sonic and Snake)

yani

Smash Lord
I'd like that too because the characters I want most (Dixie, K.Rool, Ridley, Krystal, Tingle, Ghirahim,Mewtwo, Pichu) .. yeah

I do want my Sonic though! Snake too.

I really want to see Little Mac and/or Sukapon though. Other than that I'm not too interested in other franchises

D

Deleted member

I'm not a fan of cuts. So I don't want anyone gone. I also want Mewtwo, Roy, and Dr. Mario back.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
If anyone is getting cut, it's Sonic and Snake. DEFINITELY. Adding them was.... not easy...

D

Deleted member

Snake's creator BEGGED for him to get in. And he's a close friend to Sakurai. Unless the two had a falling out recently, we can guarantee Snake's going nowhere.

Sonic got in due to sheer fan demand. Mario and Sonic have 3 crossover titles together, and Sega likes money. Sonic is going nowhere either.

EDIT: And Capcom said they were willing to let Nintendo use Mega Man for Sm4sh. But it's up to Nintendo whether he gets in or not.
That, and Sakurai did state that a Capcom character was not outside the realm of possibility for Sm4sh.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
I think the only new franchises that are remotely interesting are Golden Sun and the Professor Layton series.

Reach within, should that be necessary.

yani

Smash Lord
I really wanna know what will happen to them. I mean I'm sure Kojima would want Snake in again. If Snake stays and Sonic gets cut, there will be riots. Sonic is the perfect 3rd party (IMO), and there's always the thrill of another Mario v Sonic. I don't think one will stay without the other though, both or none.

I also think it would be much easier to keep them in and add one more 3rd party then to cut them both and add two new 3rd parties. Know what I'm Saiyan?

I love how me and Golden keep saying pretty much the same exact things :laugh:

Kantrip

Kantplay
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
*Bowser Junior

Yoshi

Wario

Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
*King K. Rool
*Dixie Kong

Link
Zelda / Sheik
Ganondorf
Toon Link
*Tingle

Kirby
Meta Knight
King Dedede

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
*Mewtwo
Pokémon Trainer - Squirtle / Ivysaur / Charizard
Lucario
*Victini

Samus / Zero Suit Samus
*Ridley

Captain Falcon
*Samurai Goroh

Ness
Lucas

Pit
*Medusa

Marth
Ike
*Roy

Fox
Falco
Wolf
*Krystal

Mr. Game and Watch
R.O.B.
Ice Climbers
*Little Mac
*Mii
*Isaac
*Shulk

Snake
Sonic
*Mega Man
50 Slots
15 Newcomers

I guess this is my current roster. I'm not sure if I'd say it's what I want or what I expect, because I put some characters that I want (like Tingle) that some people think are less likely. Then I also added characters I think are likely (like Krystal) who I don't particularly care or want to see.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Snake's creator BEGGED for him to get in. And he's a close friend to Sakurai. Unless the two had a falling out recently, we can guarantee Snake's going nowhere.

Sonic got in due to sheer fan demand. Mario and Sonic have 3 crossover titles together, and Sega likes money. Sonic is going nowhere either.
While Sakurai says that adding those two potentially opens the doors to new people playing Smash. He was quoted saying adding them was almost harder than making the game itself. The process is difficult to have them included, and he notes that not only were inclusions met with negative reactions to some fans, but also people within Nintendo disliked the idea. Couple this, with the fact that they're guests, and virtually NO guest characters return in fighting games, I wouldn't hold my breath.

BAM, I like it. I got Krystal.

Kantrip

Kantplay
I agree.

Sorry about the colours. I realize they are distracting and odd. Deal with it :cool:

Also, the first cuts to be made from that roster would be the 3rd parties, followed by Shulk or Isaac.

ProtomanVX

Smash Ace
Honestly, I'd like to see more alternate costumes ala Wario in brawl. It'd be fun to have Zelda in her Ocarina attire, or Skyward Sword clothes, etc.

yani

Smash Lord
Honestly I think the people @ Nintendo were mad at Snake being included for being a mature character

D

Deleted member

Mario Hoops to Mario Sports Mix begs to differ, shortie.
It kept the FF guests and even added Slime as a new guest.

And Mario Kart Arcade to Mario Kart Arcade 2 kept the Pac-Man guests and added a Tamagatchi guest as well.

While neither are fighting games, it doesn't really matter. Just because other fighting games keep guests for only one game, doesn't mean Smash will do the same.

Especially considering that Smash already broke one of the rules that most fighting games do; cut quite a few characters with each installment.
64 to Melee had no cuts at all. Melee to Brawl had two deliberate cuts (Pichu and Young Link) and three cut characters that were originally planned to be in (Mewtwo, Roy, and Dr. Mario).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom