• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

yani

Smash Lord
The controller seems fine to play Smash with. Sakurai won't make it too complex, considering Brawl was meant to be played with the GC controller

:phone:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am not a competitive Smash Bros. player, and I still have opted to use a GameCube controller whenever I play Brawl.

Its going to be a bit weird playing Smash Bros. with a new button layout after 15 years of using the same one.

Also, I said this in the backroom, but I noticed that a lot of the major guys from F-Zero could be made into clones of existing Smash Bros. characters.

Black Shadow - Captain Falcon (taking Ganondorf's existing moveset)
Pico - Snake (both are elite soldier mercenaries)
Jody Summer - Zero Suit Samus (this one is probably the biggest stretch, however, they both have a similar physique, which was enough to get Ganondorf in as a Falcon clone).

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
15 years? But Smash came out in '99, and Melee is only 11 years old. lol

Anyway people will move on. IMO, using the tablet it'll be just like playing my portable NES. lol

@Chrono: They could I guess, but I doubt Sakurai would do that. Especially when we have a better rep in Goroh.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
15 years? But Smash came out in '99, and Melee is only 11 years old. lol

@Chrono: They could I guess, but I doubt Sakurai would do that. Especially when we have a better rep in Goroh.
Melee will be over 15 years old by the time Smash 4 is released.

Yeah, Goroh is the only major F-Zero character that would likely not be made into a clone of an already existing character (unless Takamaru happens to get in before Goroh).

Though, Pico would technically be a replacement instead of a clone if Brawl's third-party characters don't return. :troll:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Melee will be over 15 years old by the time Smash 4 is released.

Yeah, Goroh is the only major F-Zero character that would likely not be made into a clone of an already existing character (unless Takamaru happens to get in before Goroh).

Though, Pico would technically be a replacement instead of a clone if Brawl's third-party characters don't return. :troll:
Oh okay, I see what you mean. My bad.

But I doubt Goroh and Takamaru would be similar.

D

Deleted member

I would like to see Ganondorf get a new move set. Considering that Ganondorf's move set will likely exist in one way or another, including Black Shadow to take Ganondorf's move set would be the only hope Ganondorf has at an unique move set.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Or you know, they could just give him a revamp without giving the old moveset to someone else. Where did Luigi and Falco's old movesets go?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Or you know, they could just give him a revamp without giving the old moveset to someone else.
Genius!

But I doubt that it'll happen, if Sakurai had any interest in revamping Ganondorf he would have done so in Brawl.

And technically he did get his sword in his Brawl moveset...as a taunt. The fact that it was a taunt should be a major signal that Ganondorf's moveset won't be receiving any major changes any time soon.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Considering that the SSE took a considerable amount of development time, that leads me to believe that even if he wanted to revamp Ganondorf, he wouldn't have had the time for it.

And besides, there is no time window for when someone can or can't get a revamp. Jill was in MvC 1 and 2 yet she got a complete revamp in 3 despite having RE5 Mercenaries Jill to work with. There's also Jin in Tekken who got a complete change from his Mishima-Kazama hybrid style to Karate from Tekken 3 to 4 when he was top tier in 3. To be fair, though, they brought back that style with Devil Jin.

My point still stands that there is no one time when revamps are possible but that it can happen at any time.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Or you know, they could just give him a revamp without giving the old moveset to someone else. Where did Luigi and Falco's old movesets go?
Yeah, but remember that they didn't change much. In fact, all of their special moves are about the same except Falco's reflector is also an attack. They did give Ganondorf a few unique moves since Melee.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Considering that the SSE took a considerable amount of development time, that leads me to believe that even if he wanted to revamp Ganondorf, he wouldn't have had the time for it.
This isn't a stab at you Kuma but it's something that comes up a lot.

People think there would have just been a lot of stuff if the SSE wasn't there. But I disagree. If they didn't do the SSE, the only real change would have been not cutting Mewtwo and Roy (who were still planned with the SSE). The people that work on the SSE were guys for that. The people for characters were for that. There may not been a lot of overlap as people have different training and skills. Also, Sakurai planned this game from day 1 so the plan would have just not had the SSE there. Remember that Sakurai does not see the game as just characters or stages. He tries to add these modes to really beef up the game in a different way.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Wasn't his reasoning for creating the SSE and online to create a more substantial experience for all the LONELY PEOPLE. Branching his multiplayer party game into something that can be enjoyed by all alone.

Then, I dunno, Stage Builder.

Zap tackle

Smash Journeyman
Wasn't his reasoning for creating the SSE and online to create a more substantial experience for all the LONELY PEOPLE. Branching his multiplayer party game into something that can be enjoyed by all alone.

It was an interesting concept; however, I still prefer the VS. mode over the SSE.

I personally liked the SSE cutscenes moreso than the actual gameplay itself. I must admit that they are quite amusing to watch. The SSE gameplay was more like a toned down Kirby game in my opinion.

I really liked the Stage Builder concept; however, it was a bit lackluster in my opinion. I felt as though it could have been expanded a bit more if anything. However, I appreciate the fact that Sakurai put this mode in.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

Yeah, but who really goes back to playing SSE after they beat except out of sheer boredom?

I would've traded the SSE for a balanced roster, Roy, Mewtwo, Ridley, individual break the targets, return of Board the Platforms, and leaderboards for those modes.

I'd rather have denser content than more of it. In other words, I would prefer quality over quantity in terms of modes.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I feel like Sakurai would be one of those stock movie scientists or whatever, one responsible for inadvertently creating some disaster, and he says "I DID IT WITH THE BEST OF INTENTIONS!" while pleading with us, the handsome protagonists.

ALSO I AGREE WITH THE CUTSCENES. That is what kept me playing. :V

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
What do you guys think about the next story mode, if there is one, being like a visual novel, with cutscenes and battles in between? I though BlazBlue did a very good job at this without feeling forced, but it does help that it was originally written as an RPG.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Yeah, but who really goes back to playing SSE after they beat except out of sheer boredom?

I would've traded the SSE for a balanced roster, Roy, Mewtwo, Ridley, individual break the targets, return of Board the Platforms, and leaderboards for those modes.

I'd rather have denser content than more of it. In other words, I would prefer quality over quantity in terms of modes.
Whoa I agree with Kuma for once.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
What do you guys think about the next story mode, if there is one, being like a visual novel, with cutscenes and battles in between? I though BlazBlue did a very good job at this without feeling forced, but it does help that it was originally written as an RPG.
We did come with some ideas back many pages ago. Should archive them.

Chrono: Me too. Maybe what I can say now is that Melee perfected the gameplay (Fast and frantic, but so much fun for casuals and competitive guys alike) and Brawl decided to (in some extent) focus on Nintendo-presentation in favor of some characters and better modes.

If these two were combined now (Melee's engine and Brawl's Nintendo-fanservice) in SSB4, that's where SSB would hit it's climax. (-lwl-)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am not a competitive player, but I will admit it felt more satisfying to land hits in Melee than Brawl. Perhaps its because it takes much longer to KO someone in Brawl?

What I loved most about Brawl was the newcomers it added. I also liked many of the new stages it added and the concept of Assist Trophies, as well as the stage editor.

However, online turned out to be a massive disappointment , its either laggy or taunt parties. Brawl's soundtrack was also an example of quantity over quality. Melee's soundtrack had more hits than misses.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
This is the story mode I was referring to earlier:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoiMkML7-10

It's definitely on the long side, and this is only one out of the 14 characters that have an individual part. I would prefer if the story was told more like this, but with the Adventure mode type levels and event matches of Melee to push the plot. Instead of having levels that are simply to bridge cutscenes, I'd like to see some plot going on as well. Some examples:

Sonic has to chase someone before they reach the end point.
Samus must escape from a plant waiting to explode.
Mario's gotta save Peach.
Pit rushes to the rescue with Palutena talking to Pit so that the plot moves while he's reaching the end.

There could even be event matches in the story like Link and Zelda teaming up to fight Ganon.

Your thoughts, Chrono?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's not much about movesets, more about playstyles. Doubt most Falco players have seen much of a change in the overall playstyle (except for obvious Shine combos). Falco is still hopping around shooting lasers, and Luigi is well... Still Luigi (didn't think he changed much at all, yeah no wave dash but that's it and he attacks with his *** a lot now...).

The main thing that changed these characters is overall buffing / nerfing of moves and physics in Brawl. But that's the same for about every character. Would argue Captain Falcon plays more differently in Brawl than Luigi does for example due to this.

I don't expect much of a change in play style from Ganondorf, and think his aerials (where he's mostly unique) will remain almost the same. Hopefully N air will change though, cause it doesn't really suit him I feel (can't run properly, but can pull of that sort of move? :smirk:). Specials is where I hope to see him changed mostly, but Side B can stay as it's unique enough.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Chrono: I'm not competitive too, but I really liked how Melee played. It felt so more fitting and fun Smash that Brawl did. The sound effects in Melee are just an icing on the whole cake. (-l,l-);

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
On music, I gotta agree that Melee's was ddefinitely more solid overall. I don't think I hated any one track in Melee yet I can name a few off of my head for Brawl. That being said, Brawl had a more diverse range with tracks like Ai no Uta, the Wario songs (I legitimately like the English Ashley theme, but hate the Japanese Mike song), and a few more.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I am a water horse. And I will kick your @$$
~Keldeo, rejected MLP member~

Funny thing is, it's still snowing. :awesome:

:phone:
I just measured my snow. 6 friggin inches?! Time to shovel ._.

I wouldn't mind that, but I think Red would be the best way to represent Pokemon. There's no need to switch to another gen just because Red isn't "relevant".
I most agree, but I still think it'd be awesome to choose your own trainer, via DLC.

It's all opinion I guess, I'll just leave it up to other people to decide what the heck Smash is.

As for Pokemon, I care for everything except for a 5th Gen rep (although between Zoroark and Victini, I'm neutral on them). All I want is all of the vet Pokemon back (except for Pichu). This is why I like Toise's money pick so much.

The series I don't care at all for what happens would be Mario.

Yet another year and another Pokemon movie showing off stuff we already know. Although it could be Kyurem's alt form as well.
Could be. Should it be? Maybe. :troll:

You must vote for Victini over Zoroark. You must pledge your alliegence for immortal victories! (Afterwards, Victini trololols at your losses).

I would like to see Ganondorf get a new move set. Considering that Ganondorf's move set will likely exist in one way or another, including Black Shadow to take Ganondorf's move set would be the only hope Ganondorf has at an unique move set.
My god, when his sword was only in his taunt, I got so mad, I gained an attack point when my brother tapped me on the shoulder, wondering what's wrong (Rage move reference ftw). Plus where he gets it... Nvm, let's move on <_<

I would have easily traded the SSE for Ridley, Mewtwo, and Roy.
I would of traded SSE for more characters in general. SSE was terrible.

Totally. Cutscenes were just most best in the game. Rest felt... super bland and very, VERY laborous.
I wanna see a cutsene where Young Link meets Link. Ironic twists of fate, Link auto hates him ;)

And my favorite song is VS. Zero two. An awesome, and much needed remix

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
As long as you don't hate the English Mike's Song. Probably one of the best in Brawl.
Definitely one of the best. I think the reason I like the English version of Ashley's theme is because I think of a perky goth like Lydia from the Beetlejuice cartoon.

Zap tackle

Smash Journeyman
Falco is still hopping around shooting lasers, and Luigi is well... Still Luigi (didn't think he changed much at all, yeah no wave dash but that's it and he attacks with his *** a lot now...).
I personally think Luigi should be given the Poltergust 3000 (or whatever version it is is now). The vacuum has become almost iconic to him since the release of the original Luigi's Mansion. With Luigi's Mansion 2 coming our way soon, Luigi will definitely be remembered more with it. Luigi's Mansion represents the line where Luigi was finally seen with his own identity (moreso than any other previous game), and we should have him represent that more!

Luigi still has a chance of changing some of those "similar" moves he shares with Mario. Brawl did a good job of differentiating them (better than Melee even). However, I still feel that Luigi should get some more differentiations. I'm not sure how the Poltergust would work; however, I'm pretty sure that something unique can come out of it.

D

Deleted member

SmashChu said:
Yeah, but remember that they didn't change much. In fact, all of their special moves are about the same except Falco's reflector is also an attack. They did give Ganondorf a few unique moves since Melee.
Luigi received a lot of change from Smash 64 into Melee, making him almost unique. I would not say Ganondorf receiving a new special is out of the question.

Kel

Smash Master
In regards to things actually related to Smash4 and not speculation:

Sakurai has completed work on Palutena's Mirror (the Pit game). He has stated that he will being working on Smash 4 after the completeion of Palutena's Mirror. My hopes are to see something (maybe a teaser) at E3 this June.

He said he wanted to gather designers from all over. I made a twitter account for the express purpose of talking to Sakurai. I'm going to slip him a smashboards link if possible =).

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Holy ****, are you pulling my leg? It's actually finished? Link PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom