• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I'm also thinking we need at least 5-12 third party characters to expand the roster enough to where we don't get bored of using the same characters... And all past characters, except for maybe Pichu, need to return in one form or another...
Need? No. 5-12 third party characters? No.

TattleStory

Smash Rookie
...Did she have an appearance or game on the Nintendo?

If not, she's illegible. But she does sound cool. Also, I do believe she originated in Books, not games, meaning she can't get in. If they're 3rd party, they MUST have a Nintendo appearance, and MUST have originated in a video game.
She originated in an 80's PC game, "Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego" for High School level students, They eventually decided the game would be redesigned for Middle School students in the 90's and made into a cartoon...

She's been eligible ever since the two Wiiware titles were released last month!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
She originated in an 80's PC game, "Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego" for High School level students, They eventually decided the game would be redesigned for Middle School students in the 90's and made into a cartoon...

She's been eligible ever since the two Wiiware titles were released last month!
Sounds plausible to me. Now, we just need a moveset. :p

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well, Bowser Jr. declined after not getting into Brawl besides typical meh stuff. Toad still was Peach's move, affecting gameplay.

Likewise, Jr. has barely shown up any more in any major Mario games as is, being thrown aside. Almost like a flavor of the month. Toad however is a timeless character. Paper Mario is getting a new game. Jr. is a much newer character, but isn't getting move love in games as is. He lost his likelihood.
But Jr. was in both Galaxy 2 and NSMBW and played a major role in both of those games, as well as being in Mario Kart Wii.

I think, aside from SML3D, and MK7 (Which has a terrible character roster anyway. Honey Queen?) Jr.'s been in every Mario game since Brawl. I really dunno how he's lost his likelihood based on that.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Tattle, why not add 5-12 new first party characters to expand the roster and since theyre new we won't get bored of using the same characters. And since brawl in its entirety can fit on the 3DS why not have a universal roster.

:phone:

TattleStory

Smash Rookie
Need? No. 5-12 third party characters? No.
We do need at least 5 third party characters, Nintendo is running out of unique ones of their own, we need at least 5 3rd parties to reach 50 characters... And 3DS & Wii U can have exclusive 3rd Party characters...

We don't need another sword fighter, Starfox/Earthbound clone, Princess, plumber, ect...

I looked, and I could only come up with Cooking Mama, Krystal, Geist, and Chibi Robo...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
But Jr. was in both Galaxy 2 and NSMBW and played a major role in both of those games, as well as being in Mario Kart Wii.

I think, aside from SML3D, and MK7 (Which has a terrible character roster anyway. Honey Queen?) Jr.'s been in every Mario game since Brawl. I really dunno how he's lost his likelihood based on that.
He wasn't considered for two of the newest most popular games. Think about this for a second. That means they think that Nintendo doesn't care about the character, so why should they? Mind you, this is one possible(and plausible) reason.

Also, any more than four 3rd Party characters is severely pushing it. They're GUESTS. Not Nintendo characters. The only fifth I'd be okay with would be Nintendo-appearance only guys. Geno, Mallow, Brian(okay, kidding on the last one). If they appeared in a regular Nintendo game, but is made by a 3rd party company, they feel like an exception to the rule.

D

Deleted member

We do need at least 5 third party characters, Nintendo is running out of unique ones of their own, we need at least 5 3rd parties to reach 50 characters... And 3DS & Wii U can have exclusive 3rd Party characters...

We don't need another sword fighter, Starfox/Earthbound clone, Princess, plumber, ect...

I looked, and I could only come up with Cooking Mama, Krystal, Geist, and Chibi Robo...
Bullcrap. There are plenty of good Nintendo characters. We'll be lucky to get even one new third-party character and five third-parties characters is just not going to happen.

Entirely Nintendo-only roster with 50 slots and no third-party characters (Sonic and Snake are cut):
- Toad
- Paper Mario
- King K. Rool
- Dixie Kong
- Ridley
- Victini
- Mewtwo
- Samurai Goroh
- Roy
- Palutena
- Medusa
- Takamaru
- Lip
- Little Mac
- Isaac
- Starfy
- Saki Amamiya

@SmashChu, Shortiecanbrawl: I'll see if I can find it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Toad, Waluigi, Vaati, Bowser Jr., Tingle, Ghirahim, almost every Pokemon imaginable, Birdo, Dimentio, Shulk, Takamaru, Dixie Kong, K. Rool, Kiddy Kong, Pico, B. Shadow, Samurai Goroh. Off the top of my head, there. Look harder.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
The funny thing is they still forgot some. Tattle where did you look

VVV The average 3DS card doesn't push the system to its limits. It can handle up to 8 gbs

TattleStory

Smash Rookie
Tattle, why not add 5-12 new first party characters to expand the roster and since theyre new we won't get bored of using the same characters. And since brawl in its entirety can fit on the 3DS why not have a universal roster.

Actually, Brawl, Metroid, and one other Wii game cannot fit on the average 3DS card without being compressed... Melee could fit on the 3DS, I think save files for SSB3D needs to be on the system to allow more game data, but Sakurai's probably going to use a custom sized game card to allow more data than 2GB, while SSBB, is slightly around 5GB unless you take away the extra demos & such... I suppose limiting 3D in adventure modes, and making flat stages non-3D could increase memory... I think no more than 5 on the 3DS, no more than 10 on the Wii-U, and the 3DS version can use it's own roster to select characters when connected to Wii-U. But, we've reached the point where it's best for a Nintendo System crossover, not a Nintendo series crossover, but I think no more than 5 3rd parties for 3DS... And Chun Li needs to be one of them...

A channel that allows DLC characters & stages would be great, and could allow them to release the game before it's finished! The Wii-U disk can hold both Brawl & Melee at once, so at least 5 and no more than close to 10 for Wii-U, (we don't want too many 3rd party characters)

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Sorry, Tattle, but there is NO way in hell we are getting 12 third parties. No chance.

Consider yourself lucky if we even keep Sonic and Snake at this point

Third parties aren't needed, anyway, just desired

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Sorry, Tattle, but there is NO way in hell we are getting 12 third parties. No chance. That's just completely unrealistic.

I disagree with Sonic. He has every right to come back. If he doesn't return, I'll be a little disappointed at the SEGA team...

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Actually, Brawl, Metroid, and one other Wii game cannot fit on the average 3DS card without being compressed... Melee could fit on the 3DS, I think save files for SSB3D needs to be on the system to allow more game data, but Sakurai's probably going to use a custom sized game card to allow more data than 2GB, while SSBB, is slightly around 5GB unless you take away the extra demos & such... I suppose limiting 3D in adventure modes, and making flat stages non-3D could increase memory... I think no more than 5 on the 3DS, no more than 10 on the Wii-U, and the 3DS version can use it's own roster to select characters when connected to Wii-U. But, we've reached the point where it's best for a Nintendo System crossover, not a Nintendo series crossover, but I think no more than 5 3rd parties for 3DS... And Chun Li needs to be one of them...

A channel that allows DLC characters & stages would be great, and could allow them to release the game before it's finished! The Wii-U disk can hold both Brawl & Melee at once, so at least 5 and no more than close to 10 for Wii-U, (we don't want too many 3rd party characters)
I heard somewhere that 3DS Game Cards are like 5+ gigs. I THINK it was disfunkshunal on the 3DS forum.

10 third-parties for WiiU?! What the ****?! No way. BRAWL HAD TWO! TWO! Ten will never happen, heck, even 5 is unlikely.

Zap tackle

Smash Journeyman
I agree with the third party issue. So many people expect more third party characters to be in SSB4 than actual Nintendo characters; however, what they should be more concerned about is whether or not the two we received in Brawl will actually be remaining. It isn't easy to get the licenses for the characters produced by other companies, and Nintendo doesn't seem to desire for them either. Sonic was literally a last minute addition if anything as well!

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I disagree with Sonic. He has every right to come back. If he doesn't return, I'll be a little disappointed at the SEGA team...
Don't get me wrong, I want Sonic to return with all my might, and I think he will stay, but there's just no guarantee that he will, in fact, stay

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Don't get me wrong, I want Sonic to return with all my might, and I think he will stay, but there's just no guarantee that he will, in fact, stay
Completely agreed here. Both Sonic and Snake should stay, and we could really have a great time with MegaMan or M. Bison. And a SE character. Crono, Slime, Geno, Chocobo(with or without Moogle), Onion Knight, etc.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
I'll honestly be surprised if more than three 3rd party characters make it into SSB4. Four is acceptable, but already pushing the envelope. Five or more is just ridiculously unreasonable.

The way I see it, no character outside of the original 12 is 100% guaranteed a roster spot, with some exceptions like Ganondorf, Marth, and Bowser.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

These guys would like a word...

Credit to Oasis for making it. I had to dig it up in the Back Room.

Especially considering this list only has a few third parties...as in, five.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Pokémon Black & White - Lucario Download

For those of you with the games in America, Lucario is to be downloadable on the Pokémon Global Link. This distribution is unfortunately only open to those who purchase the game in Target stores from January 15th until April 30th 2012. This Lucario is the same as the Lucario in Japan last month and has the ability Justified and the move Bullet Punch. It is currently unknown if the password used is unique or a general password but the Global Link implies a single use code.

WHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTT!?!

TattleStory

Smash Rookie
Okay, whrer I stand for 3rd Party is at 4-5 characters for 3DS, but the Wii-U needs 5-8 at least, I said no more than 10, but I made a list of the 10 best 3rd Party candidates...

Crash Bandicoot
Chun Li
Sonic
Snake
Tomb Raider
Spyro

Geno is not 3rd party, he was in an RPG game made by Square staff, but Nintendo owns rights to the character, Square-Enix does not... ...he is technically a Mario Character, and would be listed as a 5th Mario character

- Isaac
- Starfy
- Saki Amamiya

I'll agree there are a few other great 1st party characters I forgot to mention, mainly from Golden Sun & Pokemon, but it still needs around 5 3rd party characters to reach 50...

But I also think no more than 5 characters for any series, spin-offs excluded of course, and Pokemon might be the only series that might make a good exception to this rule, which is why they used Pokeballs & the Pokemon Trainer in the first place, they had a rule of no more than four characters per series...
If the 3DS uses exclusives to get around this rule I won't care...
Many of Nintendo's characters would make good ATs, but taking Toad away from Peach isn't smart, who would pick Toad over a sporty Daisy with attacks from multiplayer anyways?

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Smash doesn't NEED guest characters, especially not in excess of 4-5+, dude

It's not even a good idea to have THAT many guest characters in one game

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Okay, whrer I stand for 3rd Party is at 4-5 characters for 3DS, but the Wii-U needs 5-8 at least, I said no more than 10, but I made a list of the 10 best 3rd Party candidates...

Crash Bandicoot
Chun Li
Sonic
Snake
Tomb Raider
Spyro

Geno is not 3rd party, he was in an RPG game made by Square staff, but Nintendo owns rights to the character, Square-Enix does not... ...he is technically a Mario Character, and would be listed as a 5th Mario character

- Isaac
- Starfy
- Saki Amamiya

I'll agree there are a few other great 1st party characters I forgot to mention, mainly from Golden Sun & Pokemon, but it still needs around 5 3rd party characters to reach 50...

But I also think no more than 5 characters for any series, spin-offs excluded of course, and Pokemon might be the only series that might make a good exception to this rule, which is why they used Pokeballs & the Pokemon Trainer in the first place, they had a rule of no more than four characters per series...
If the 3DS uses exclusives to get around this rule I won't care...
Many of Nintendo's characters would make good ATs, but taking Toad away from Peach isn't smart, who would pick Toad over a sporty Daisy with attacks from multiplayer anyways?
We don't need any more than 4 3rd-Party characters.
Square does own Geno, Mallow, and every non-Mario character from Super Mario RPG. Look it up.

P.S. A lot of people here support Toad. I've seen next to no Daisy support.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Why should the Wii U version have more guest characters than the 3DS version, anyway?

And if we ever get a SF character, I doubt Chun-Li would get in before Ryu

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Why should the Wii U version have more guest characters than the 3DS version, anyway?

And if we ever get a SF character, I doubt Chun-Li would get in before Ryu
And according to one of the owners of Capcom, M. Bison(USA name) would get in before Ryu. Although I think Chun-Li would be more interesting, anyway. We have no characters mainly based upon kicks at all. Likewise, we've got atleast three Shotoclones in Smash.(the main plumbers, besides Wario) Why add another one?

TattleStory

Smash Rookie
Sorry, Tattle, but there is NO way in hell we are getting 12 third parties. No chance.

I meant that Capcom could have 2-3 characters, Sonic & Snake Return, and possibly 2-3 other guests...

If all previous characters excluding the worst clones like Dr Mario & Pichu return, we'd have at least 45 characters vs around 5-8 3rd party characters...
...each one would be required to have been on a Nintendo System game, (probably not DLC) 1st appearance in a videogame, and have significance to gaming culture...

Who doesn't want Crash Bandicoot redesigned by Sakurai, he'd do a better job than Activision, just look what they did to the other characters, he increased their level of graphics without changing the character... Crash has four and three half games that are Nintendo exclusive... That adds up to 6 games that weren't on a Nintendo System, and near seven that are Nintendo exclusive. While the Wii versions were both released months before the Xbox & PS2 versions...

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I meant that Capcom could have 2-3 characters, Sonic & Snake Return, and possibly 2-3 other guests...

If all previous characters excluding the worst clones like Dr Mario & Pichu return, we'd have at least 45 characters vs around 5-8 3rd party characters...
...each one would be required to have been on a Nintendo System game, (probably not DLC) 1st appearance in a videogame, and have significance to gaming culture...

Who doesn't want Crash Bandicoot redesigned by Sakurai, he'd do a better job than Activision, just look what they did to the other characters, he increased their level of graphics without changing the character... Crash has four and three half games that are Nintendo exclusive... That adds up to 6 games that weren't on a Nintendo System, and near seven that are Nintendo exclusive. While the Wii versions were both released months before the Xbox & PS2 versions...
While Crash does, IMO, have a legitimate chance, we are not getting 12 third-parties. Capcom will get one character, just like Sega and Konami did.

D

Deleted member

@TattleStory: I guarantee you that Smash will never see over four third-party characters. You seriously need to read this. Actually, more people need to read this and recognize how difficult it is to get third-party characters in Smash.
IGN: You debuted two crossover characters -- Sonic and Solid Snake -- in Brawl. Awesome additions! But we have to be honest, with all the music from different famed composers in the game, we were expecting even more character crossovers from the likes of Square and perhaps even Capcom. Any reason Brawl doesn't feature even more? (And we know -- Nintendo fans are never happy!)

Masahiro Sakurai: Adding characters from other series and from other worlds, really, outside the Nintendo universe, is an incredibly difficult process. In some ways it's more difficult from just building a game from the ground up because you're really trying to make everything match and in some ways that creates limitations. I hope that people can understand that's the reason we can't include more characters from outside the Nintendo universe. And, of course, I believe that when you increase the number of worlds, you're also increasing the number of people who could potentially enjoy that videogame and the series that you're putting in there. But there are also problems because having these non-traditional characters in there -- even with just Snake and Sonic -- has resulted in a number of people who do dissent in seeing these characters put into the Smash series. It's not a simple matter of adding as many worlds and characters from other games as possible -- you can't be careless in doing that sort of thing, you have to be careful. Internally and externally, there have been people who have raised objections to it.
Lower your expectations for third-parties accordingly.

TattleStory

Smash Rookie
No. Horrible, horrible, horrible idea and I doubt Sakurai is going to allow an obscure character like that in.
Probably not, but the way I had in mind to unlock Carmen Sandiego was even more obscure...

Japan: must encounter a player that unlocked her over Wi-Fi after beating All Star mode
Americas: Beat All Star mode after entering unlock code & beat AllStar mode, or encounter her in an online match...
PAL: Beat AllStar mode with a Carmen Sandiego save file, or encounter her in an online match...

I figured out a moveset, but I agree she's not the best 3rd party choice...

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I like how when someone comes in here with their hopes and dreams, we all have to jump on them and crush them.

No Seriously. I find it Satisfactory.

Zap tackle

Smash Journeyman
Sigh, we're going to need reinforcements from the Toad Brigade Alliance to pull this one out. Like Poppy said, there are a lot of Toad supporters here.

Toad is much more likely than how you are perceiving him to be. Also how would leaving Toad with Peach be a smart move anyways? She lacked moves before, but now she has more potential. Same goes for Toad as well. Besides, it's not like we have to replace the move either.

D

Deleted member

Zap tackle said:
Also how would leaving Toad with Peach be a smart move anyways?
It is. Just have The Toad as playable and recolor Peach's Toad.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Every character could return with absolutely no issues, and every planned character(with Character data) in Brawl could come in. For that matter, a lot of people loved to play as Pichu and Dr. Mario, including myself.

Capcom would be lucky to get ONE character. Why? Securing copyright is very hard. Third Parties is more likely to get one each at best. The only one I could see plausible is SE having two with Geno and a regular series(Geno is still Third Party regardless, completely owned by Square who made Super Mario RPG. Nintendo only published it, it didn't create it.), and maybe Konami adding a Belmont. I don't really see Sega getting a second character outside of maybe promoting Shining Force(which would be cool, but all the Heroes are rather bland Swordsmen, with often two Spells EACH).

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Every character could return with absolutely no issues, and every planned character(with Character data) in Brawl could come in.
HF, you're treating SSB4 like an expansion instead of a sequel.

I feel like posting all the 3rd party characters that I'm POSITIVE won't make it in (with one as a possible exception), but would enjoy seeing:

Rayman
Earthworm Jim
Megaman
Banjo and Kazooie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom