• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
No. I'm not. They could all come in. There is nothing preventing any of them from being playable. At all. Time is the only reason we didn't see everyone back in Brawl(save Young Link, who was remade into Toon Link, and Pichu, the only truly cut Playable Character).

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
For those who were wondering what Sheriff (A.K.A. Mr. Jack) from the old Nintendo arcade game Sheriff really looked like, look at the official artwork that I had found as seen on the side of the arcade machine.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I wasn't actually replying to your post, BirthNote, I didn't even read it, I was just saiyan

Haha, Sheriff kinda looks like a Simpsons character :laugh:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I just found out that Crash was originally created by Sony to compete with Mario and Sonic. Huh. Small world. :troll:

:phone:

TattleStory

Smash Rookie
While Crash does, IMO, have a legitimate chance, we are not getting 12 third-parties. Capcom will get one character, just like Sega and Konami did.

Sakurai said he was thinking of adding one "or more" Capcom characters, Chun Li is obvious due to her origins in a fighting game & popularity, But Megaman is also a long forgotten relic that first appeared on Nintendo systems, and continued to do so for a long time...
Both have a good chance, along with the largely Nintendo exclusive Phoenix Wright Ace Detective...
...which was published by Nintendo in Australia...
Capcom have a large variety of characters, at least 5% of their most popular characters would fit in.
I wouldn't be surprised that even if we only get one playable character from Capcom, that we'd have at least 2 Capcom ATs, and Capcom chooses a different character for the 3DS game...
But 5 third party characters would be a great number, 7 would be okay for console only, approximately 5.7% of the playable characters in Brawl were third party, there's been a third party item ever since the first game, (They had to edit the motion sensor bomb in US due to copyright laws) why not increase that to at least 10% out of 64 characters? (meaning 8 third party, and 56 Nintendo characters or 5 characters and 45 Nintendo characters)
Especially when third parties only get one stage, about 12 trophies, and zero items...

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Sakurai said he was thinking of adding one "or more" Capcom characters, Chun Li is obvious due to her origins in a fighting game & popularity, But Megaman is also a long forgotten relic that first appeared on Nintendo systems, and continued to do so for a long time...
Both have a good chance, along with the largely Nintendo exclusive Phoenix Wright Ace Detective...
...which was published by Nintendo in Australia...
Capcom have a large variety of characters, at least 5% of their most popular characters would fit in.
I wouldn't be surprised that even if we only get one playable character from Capcom, that we'd have at least 2 Capcom ATs, and Capcom chooses a different character for the 3DS game...
But 5 third party characters would be a great number, 7 would be okay for console only, approximately 5.7% of the playable characters in Brawl were third party, there's been a third party item ever since the first game, (They had to edit the motion sensor bomb in US due to copyright laws) why not increase that to at least 10% out of 64 characters? (meaning 8 third party, and 56 Nintendo characters or 5 characters and 45 Nintendo characters)
Especially when third parties only get one stage, about 12 trophies, and zero items...
Street Fighter=M. Bison. It was said by Street Fighter's creator that he wanted Megaman before M. Bison anyway, so from Capcom, Megaman has the BEST shot.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Do you realize the controversy that would come from putting in THAT many third parties? Especially since at the core, it's supposed to be about Nintendo's All Stars coming together to battle each other?

Did you even read what Super Smash Bros. Fan posted?

TattleStory

Smash Rookie
Every character could return with absolutely no issues, and every planned character(with Character data) in Brawl could come in. For that matter, a lot of people loved to play as Pichu and Dr. Mario, including myself.

Capcom would be lucky to get ONE character. Why? Securing copyright is very hard. Third Parties is more likely to get one each at best. The only one I could see plausible is SE having two with Geno and a regular series(Geno is still Third Party regardless, completely owned by Square who made Super Mario RPG. Nintendo only published it, it didn't create it.), and maybe Konami adding a Belmont. I don't really see Sega getting a second character outside of maybe promoting Shining Force(which would be cool, but all the Heroes are rather bland Swordsmen, with often two Spells EACH).
Actually, it's a derivative work, they do not need to obtain rights to the character, only written permission to use them, and Capcom could easily contract Megaman & Chun Li in one signature, as they own both characteunless Sega is allowed another character, & Konami might put a character from their Konami Krazy Kart Racing daze...
rs, also Capcom would push for Chun Li if Sakurai insulted them by asking for Megaman, who never got his own movie...

Chun Li is also born into fighting games, Capcom would be insulted if they were asked for one of their least popular famous characters, Megaman is 80's classic, Chun Li is 90s classic & modern era... Why can't Capcom brag about having more 3rd parties, of course, it will probably be a one character per system deal,

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Actually, it's a derivative work, they do not need to obtain rights to the character, only written permission to use them, and Capcom could easily contract Megaman & Chun Li in one signature, as they own both characteunless Sega is allowed another character, & Konami might put a character from their Konami Krazy Kart Racing daze...
rs, also Capcom would push for Chun Li if Sakurai insulted them by asking for Megaman, who never got his own movie...

Chun Li is also born into fighting games, Capcom would be insulted if they were asked for one of their least popular famous characters, Megaman is 80's classic, Chun Li is 90s classic & modern era... Why can't Capcom brag about having more 3rd parties, of course, it will probably be a one character per system deal,
Insulted? Wut. Megaman is their MASCOT. Having a movie has nothing to do with it. And like I said, Street Fighter's creator would rather see Megaman in Sm4sh. Megaman has also been in fighting games, BTW.

And just so you know, "least popular" and "famous" don't go together. If you combine them, it's a contradiction, and makes your argument crap. Just a tip. :glare:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Actually, it's a derivative work, they do not need to obtain rights to the character, only written permission to use them, and Capcom could easily contract Megaman & Chun Li in one signature, as they own both the characters unless Sega is allowed another character, & Konami might put a character from their Konami Krazy Kart Racing daze...
Yes, they do need to obtain the right to use the character in the game. Nintendo does NOT own Geno and cannot use him without permission. If they did, he could've shown up a lot more often. He's had one cameo and that's it.

Likewise, this all depends if Sakurai allows any company to have more than one. And if it's going to be someone, it's going to be one who can fight.

Of course it will be. But Chun Li is not anywhere above MegaMan, Ryu, or Bison. They're the top three choices that they would allow first. In order of MegaMan, Bison, and Ryu, by the producer's own admittance. He didn't even think Ryu belongs in there, but for Street Fighter, he's a perfect option. Yes, Chun Li would indeed be original. But she's only the third possible one for Street Fighter in general. The only things I see going for her is uniqueness and being female. Popularity? Perhaps more than Bison, but isn't on Ryu's level as is. She was never high on the options list as is.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I guess I should just rant on how I think you’re all going to be disappointed when no Super Mario characters are added (Especially TWO)

The Super Mario Franchise is a massive franchise spanning over decades, and it always seems to have four main characters, a stale cast if you will. These characters are: Mario, Peach, Luigi, and Bowser. Yes, Daisy, and Wart had major roles for ten seconds, but that doesn’t really mean much if you look at the big picture. Throughout the series these four characters, as well as a handful of minor enemies and Toad, have been constant within the core series. It’s for this very reason that I feel adding another character is going to be unlikely. I suppose I should start with Toad.

Toad is one of the characters that I feel I could be wrong about, but I’m betting I’m not. Toad has been in most of the titles that these four have been in, this is very true, but he just doesn’t do much in terms of the overall picture. A few times he has shown up playable, and he even has his “speed and strength” unique attributes, but for the most part, he hasn’t been a major character, and when he was, he did the exact same thing Mario and Luigi did, (AGAIN, for the MOST PART, I know there is a few titles where he hasn’t) Couple this with the fact that he’s shown up in all these titles repeatedly since 64, and still hasn’t been added, I think that Sakurai just might not see him as playable character status. Again, I think I could be wrong about this character, but I’m just placing my bet on the “No” side of things.

Another character I think I could be wrong about, but still am betting no on, is Junior. Bowser Junior, unlike Toad, has shown up with heftier roles in the last ten years or so. He’s still a baby in terms of how long he has been in the Mario cast, but so far his future is looking bright. I think there is a decent chance that he becomes a semi constant character within the series, who takes on the role of Semi Boss/Antagonist. But I still think he’s probably not going to make it into Smash. My reasoning here is mostly because he just hasn’t proven yet that he is a static character within the cast. I could be wrong, but I’m betting on the “No” side of things. I also feel where he lacks, Toad doesn’t. He is a static, but unimportant, character in the Mario cast, and Junior is the new iffy character with a semi decent role. If they could combine to make Toad Junior, the Koopa with a mushroom cap hybrid, they would probably fair a lot better.

I suppose I can go on now and talk about Waluigi, Doc, and Paper Mario. Waluigi is probably the worst choice that gets seriously brought up frequently. He does nothing, end of story. I also think Sakurai added him as an AT for troll factor. Like Chrono, I’m hoping he is quickly revealed as an AT. Doc, has to be mentioned just because he was “planned” for Brawl, and is a Melee vet. While he may be one of the least popular characters to ever get into Smash, you never know. Plus, unlike every character on this list, he was actually playable. I’m still betting no on him, but I thought he was worth a mention. Paper Mario, to me, is one of those characters that is supported, but just isn’t the best choice. If we get a Mario character, it should probably be Junior, Toad, or Doc, not this spin-off MARIO with no prior Smash experience.

Finally, if I had to choose one of these characters to get into Smash, I would probably choose Junior, but Toad and Doc are good choices as well. You never know who is going to REALLY be added, but this is just my personal prediction.

AND YES, Jill is a main character of one of Capcom's biggest franchises. Jill, Ryu, and Megs are the best choices IMO. Oh, and I would like to note that Sakurai said that both fans and NINTENDO emplyees has shown that they don't like the idea of 3rd party characters. Another reason for him to not add 5000.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly, if we get a female Capcom character, it should be Jill, IMO
Atleast she's a main character of the series and not just a fan favorite. I could see it. Mainly using a bit of her MvC 2 moveset. It could work well. She specializes in explosives, so could be rather different from Snake in general.

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
You no what would be cool.

To have a open world stage,Rather than runing back and forth you could run all over the stage.I's just an idea.

Or' more than one layer mabe, 3 layers more of a open level.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
No sidestepping/3D platforming, please

Although a non-linear Adventure Mode with side quests would be kickass :cool:

@asage- Jill Valentine, from Resident Evil

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Insulted? Wut. Megaman is their MASCOT. Having a movie has nothing to do with it. And like I said, Street Fighter's creator would rather see Megaman in Sm4sh. Megaman has also been in fighting games, BTW.

And just so you know, "least popular" and "famous" don't go together. If you combine them, it's a contradiction, and makes your argument crap. Just a tip. :glare:

Mega Man did have a movie ._. What's he talkin about? Plus, I heard, NP resource, that a realistic MM is suppose to be coming out.

Honestly, if we get a female Capcom character, it should be Jill, IMO
Jill... Nope, nvr heard of her. But if it's a female capcom character, it's Amaterasu.

I'm tired, it's starting to get cold, and I lost the Zombie tourny. The end of the day turned real sour :glare: I suppose I'll get some movesets done...

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
You no what would be cool.

To have a open world stage,Rather than runing back and forth you could run all over the stage.I's just an idea.

Or' more than one layer mabe, 3 layers more of a open level.
It's be kinda cool, I suppose. But the SSB series has laid out a 2D fighting style for years, so I can't put down the idea.

No sidestepping/3D platforming, please

Although a non-linear Adventure Mode with side quests would be kickass :cool:
Yes. Let Red meet ~Misty~ in an epic boss battle. Good times. :awesome:

D

Deleted member

Jill Sandwiches for Sm4sh? I'd be fine with that.

Not part of Nintendo? *looks at various RE titles on Nintendo systems* *looks at Metal Gear*
I see no problem with Jill.

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
Oh thats true im fine with her lol i only new of her from RE i didin't know she had been on any of nintendos games tho.

I thought her name was Jill Valentine?

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I can't wait for the day when I can legitimately say, "I'm going to buy Super Smash Bros. *****(insert name here)." :awesome:

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
@asage- Jill Valentine, from Resident Evil

@Rosalina- No, it's Jill Sandwich

@asage again- Don't mention the M-word, you know how I get when she's mentioned :love:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I guess I should just rant on how I think you’re all going to be disappointed when no Super Mario characters are added (Especially TWO)

The Super Mario Franchise is a massive franchise spanning over decades, and it always seems to have four main characters, a stale cast if you will. These characters are: Mario, Peach, Luigi, and Bowser. Yes, Daisy, and Wart had major roles for ten seconds, but that doesn’t really mean much if you look at the big picture. Throughout the series these four characters, as well as a handful of minor enemies and Toad, have been constant within the core series. It’s for this very reason that I feel adding another character is going to be unlikely. I suppose I should start with Toad.

Toad is one of the characters that I feel I could be wrong about, but I’m betting I’m not. Toad has been in most of the titles that these four have been in, this is very true, but he just doesn’t do much in terms of the overall picture. A few times he has shown up playable, and he even has his “speed and strength” unique attributes, but for the most part, he hasn’t been a major character, and when he was, he did the exact same thing Mario and Luigi did, (AGAIN, for the MOST PART, I know there is a few titles where he hasn’t) Couple this with the fact that he’s shown up in all these titles repeatedly since 64, and still hasn’t been added, I think that Sakurai just might not see him as playable character status. Again, I think I could be wrong about this character, but I’m just placing my bet on the “No” side of things.

Another character I think I could be wrong about, but still am betting no on, is Junior. Bowser Junior, unlike Toad, has shown up with heftier roles in the last ten years or so. He’s still a baby in terms of how long he has been in the Mario cast, but so far his future is looking bright. I think there is a decent chance that he becomes a semi constant character within the series, who takes on the role of Semi Boss/Antagonist. But I still think he’s probably not going to make it into Smash. My reasoning here is mostly because he just hasn’t proven yet that he is a static character within the cast. I could be wrong, but I’m betting on the “No” side of things. I also feel where he lacks, Toad doesn’t. He is a static, but unimportant, character in the Mario cast, and Junior is the new iffy character with a semi decent role. If they could combine to make Toad Junior, the Koopa with a mushroom cap hybrid, they would probably fair a lot better.

I suppose I can go on now and talk about Waluigi, Doc, and Paper Mario. Waluigi is probably the worst choice that gets seriously brought up frequently. He does nothing, end of story. I also think Sakurai added him as an AT for troll factor. Like Chrono, I’m hoping he is quickly revealed as an AT. Doc, has to be mentioned just because he was “planned” for Brawl, and is a Melee vet. While he may be one of the least popular characters to ever get into Smash, you never know. Plus, unlike every character on this list, he was actually playable. I’m still betting no on him, but I thought he was worth a mention. Paper Mario, to me, is one of those characters that is supported, but just isn’t the best choice. If we get a Mario character, it should probably be Junior, Toad, or Doc, not this spin-off MARIO with no prior Smash experience.

Finally, if I had to choose one of these characters to get into Smash, I would probably choose Junior, but Toad and Doc are good choices as well. You never know who is going to REALLY be added, but this is just my personal prediction.
I'm guessing this is coming from Toise?

Yeah, that makes some sense to me. I disagree a bit with PM not being good for Smash, not that it reallys matters anyway since he doesn't have much of a shot I agree.

But like I said, I could care less about the Mario series, so there won't be any disapointment for me at least.

AND YES, Jill is a main character of one of Capcom's biggest franchises. Jill, Ryu, and Megs are the best choices IMO. Oh, and I would like to note that Sakurai said that both fans and NINTENDO emplyees has shown that they don't like the idea of 3rd party characters. Another reason for him to not add 5000.
Agreed on Jill.

Fans not liking 3rd parties? Forgive me if I find that a little weird based on the of the rediculous requests they get.

I don't blame employees for not liking them though, extra paper work and all of that.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We can technically sidestep in game. Side Dodge, anyone? But yeah, no, no pure 3D. The partial 3D is what makes the game perfect.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'm guessing this is coming from Toise?

Yeah, that makes some sense to me. I disagree a bit with PM not being good for Smash, not that it reallys matters anyway since he doesn't have much of a shot I agree.

But like I said, I could care less about the Mario series, so there won't be any disapointment for me at least.
Nope, from me. But Toise has a similar opinion on these characters, save Doc. I've always felt this way about the Mario series though.

As for Paper Mario, I think it's silly to add another MARIO, when you have two more recognizable characters and THE MARIO in the game already. Plus, we've seen how Links and Marios come out. Don't be fooled like we were when we thought Toon Link would be unique.

Agreed on Jill.

Fans not liking 3rd parties? Forgive me if I find that a little weird based on the of the rediculous requests they get.

I don't blame employees for not liking them though, extra paper work and all of that.
He also mentions fans like the third parties and they could bring new people to the Smash series, BUT, he notes some fans, and internal people from Ninty do not like the idea and are put off by them. He didn't try to say people hate Sonic or anything.

Jill's shown up on the Gamecube, Wii, and has two 3DS games coming out with her in them. (One she is one of the main characters) She's Nintendo enough, and more important than Leon. Despite his loverboy fanbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom