• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

To be fair, over a fifth of all Pokemon have the same body shape as those three, officially. :awesome:

Add in the bipeds without tails, and that's over a third.
You're technically correct on that. But I think it's the humanoid shape of Mewtwo, Lucario, and Zoroark that puts many people off from supporting all three.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm shocked. There's only been five posts in the last hour. School really does make a difference.

On another topic, Sven from Capcom says Smash is a fighter, but didn't comment on its competitive viability. Probably because it'd open up an even bigger can of worms than saying Smash is a fighting game.
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/jan/12/sven-comments-smash-bros-debate-akuma-hint-sfxt/

I think I'm gonna go lurk the competitive Smash forums for a while.

I'll leave with this topic: How do you go about making different stages without resorting to any of these:

A. Same stages, different themed textures.
B. A stage resembling Castle Siege, Delfino Isle, or even Port Town.
C. Without using stage hazards.
D. Without changing the way the game plays like Donkey Kong 75m, Mario Bros. and Flat Zone 2?

I say that the stages try to look more like "extractions" of the source material. This is what I liked about Smash 64's stages. All except the Brinstar Depths stage felt like they were straight from their respective games (though Saffron did have to take liberties).

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Hey guys! Sorry for the inactivity, been on camp. Anyways, just dropped in to say hello. ^^

Also, going to a tournament tomorrow, wish me luck! ^^

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Have fun. I don't know if you do this already, but try not to use the stage to your advantage. Rather, rely on primarily fundamental play.

That came up because of the thread I'm reading. Some argue that NOT playing on gimmicky stages is one of the reasons why the Japanese won Apex.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I use ledges and edges to my advantage. Ledges are good for aerials and all that, especially for Lucas. Even so, i don't tend to go for.... Certain stages (castle siege.... :mad: )

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So, almost on the end of Skyward Sword Hero Mode, still think Impa is a good choice. Even better than before actually.

:phone:

TattleStory

Smash Rookie
YES!! don't get me wrong, i loved using it, but it's better to sever the ties with the gamecube controller... after all, the new controller can still use the same buttons, and another bumper, and a touch screen, and a select button, and a home button.

also... can you still play GC games? not sure if it really clarifies.
If they kept Gamecube compatability, it would just make the system too expensive, Hardaware like controller ports & Memory card slots...
I did perfect the concept of a GCN player accesory that allows Gamecube games to be played on Wii-U, not to mention it could make a great substitute for Classic Controlers if licensed by Nintendo, I know what parts I'd need, my friend can help me connect them, and I'd have a bulky prototype consisting of various existing licensed accessory parts, but neither of us can program the Wii software needed to install a GCN channel (via disk) that redirects the controller & memory ports...

but I'm sure that Nintendo will make more controllers for multiplayer mode, if not, Sakurai said he'd allow 3DS as a controller, a feature that could easily be manipulated by Sakurai to also allow extra Wii-U controllers.
Sakurai's SSBB is the only game with a GCN rumble feature on Wii, Sakurai got past the Wii's disabled rumble on Gamecube ports, why can't he manage getting past supposed system limitations once again?

But including four outdated ports that use accesories no longer soldat Gamestop, EB, Babage's, ect. would increase the price of the system by at least $30 for no reason at all, as Gamecube VC is now possible with the expanded memory, and Club Nintendo could offer download ticket deals to people who registered the original GCN games on Club Nintendo...
Not to mention Wii Sports & Wii Play would be great free downloads!

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
How many of you want Lucario VS Zoroark (or Mewtwo)?
I want all of them, and Pikachu, and Jiggs, and Charizard and those lesser friends of his.
Why not Sheik? :awesome:

Seriously though, characters who have been cut need to be ATs. Sheik be one of them.
I still don't get the deal about Sheik's "popularity" though. It all came from her Melee top tier position. Nobody has ever tried to proof me other wise.
We need to replace Zero Suit Samus with Zero Suit Dark Samus. Because that's what everyone wants! Smash needs to take away a liked character for one nobody gives a **** about. DUH. That's how you DONT alienate a fanbase!

??? Where did you get that feeling from? I myself am neutral on both Zoroark and Victini.

BTW, it seems that Capcom sees Smash as a fighter. Hopefully this will help stop those dumb debates about Smash being a fighting game or not.
It's not a traditional fighter. I don't consider it a true fighter.

Are you neutral, or do you just not care that much? That's how I feel with the whole Pokemon series. I'm not going to get Doexys, or Charizard alone, so I don't care how it ends up.

TattleStory

Smash Rookie
It's good to be back for a few years of mindless speculation. I hope Zoroark is in the game...
Zoroark should know Snarl, Shadow Slash, & Theif (A new type of attack to Smash, which steals opponents held items... duh) in addition to its signature attack, and its unique ability Illusion in its Final Smash & taunts... Taunt 1: Randomly Assume form and use taunt of character near you...

Mewtwo needs to return with a real Voice Actor and scary lines, and needs to be much heavier...
...But in a seperate version than Zoroark, I don't want those creepy pics to multiply, (how is it even possible for them to multiply?) rarely any clean Zoroark fanworks on google unless using strict safesearch, the bloody looking ones are okay though.
Pokemon B/W trainers need to replace the current Trainer...
Pikachu does need new attacks, and Iron tail, wouldn't hurt...
I promise this is my last Pokemon comment, as for Pokemon ATs, Surge can throw exploding Voltorb at players! Master Greevil & XD001...
Miror B? Dancing stupidly & throwing random Shadow Pokemon?
Oak's Pokemon Talk would be hillarious to replace RESETTI!

TattleStory

Smash Rookie
Sven from Capcom says Smash is a fighter

How do you go about making different stages without resorting to any of these:

D. Without changing the way the game plays like Donkey Kong 75m, Mario Bros. and Flat Zone 2?

I say that the stages try to look more like "extractions" of the source material. This is what I liked about Smash 64's stages.
Battle Subway would be a nice Stage for Pokemon, as would Neon Coloseum from PBR...
Distortion World would make an exellent Xtra Large Stage if it had extremely slow transitions every 5 minutes...
I think the stages you're describing, relying mainly on a character's own stats, and a player's own skill, with no element of luck... Are great, but we need a few obsticles or else we'd get bored, but I agree on the platform stages, and they messed up on melee's Peach's castle, but there is a balance of updating graphics without changing style...
Activision dropped Crash Bandicoot from the Timeless Classic tree, and he hit and killed every modern pop culture reference on the way down...
I'm okay with improved backgrounds, and more detailed textures & shading, as long as the art style is the same as the games, mushroomy kingdom should've been "New Mushroom Kingdom" from New SMB...

Did anyone else notice Sakurai wants Chun Li to be in this game, he said "Capcom" and was possibly the third "3rd party character" and "female" he was referring to in Brawl's intro site?

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
I'm shocked. There's only been five posts in the last hour. School really does make a difference.

On another topic, Sven from Capcom says Smash is a fighter, but didn't comment on its competitive viability. Probably because it'd open up an even bigger can of worms than saying Smash is a fighting game.
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/jan/12/sven-comments-smash-bros-debate-akuma-hint-sfxt/

I'll leave with this topic: How do you go about making different stages without resorting to any of these:

I say that the stages try to look more like "extractions" of the source material. This is what I liked about Smash 64's stages. All except the Brinstar Depths stage felt like they were straight from their respective games (though Saffron did have to take liberties).
That link is pretty interesting.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I have a bit of a nonsequitor question, but I guess based on how this thread operates, it's nothing new.

Between the time this thread started, and when I jumped back in, I've noticed ALOT of popularity decline for Bowser Jr. When Sm4sh was announced, he was seen as just as much of a shoe-in character as K. Rool or Ridley. But now? Toad of all characters, and Paper Mario (Both of which have my support, mind you) are seemingly way ahead of him, despite his constant presence in Mario games Sunshine and beyond.

Sure, he wasn't in 3D Land, (or was he? I just started World 8) but that game seems ridiculously rushed and flawed anyway, so I don't really look at that for reasoning...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, Bowser Jr. declined after not getting into Brawl besides typical meh stuff. Toad still was Peach's move, affecting gameplay.

Likewise, Jr. has barely shown up any more in any major Mario games as is, being thrown aside. Almost like a flavor of the month. Toad however is a timeless character. Paper Mario is getting a new game. Jr. is a much newer character, but isn't getting move love in games as is. He lost his likelihood.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
That link is pretty interesting.
Yeah, I looked at the whole thing as well actually. It's interesting how they say that competitive players don't play the game for what it is tho. Maybe some, but not all. I play the game competitively, and enjoy it whether items are on or off, as well as all the stages. Hmmm....

Also, i'm sure you've all heard this before, but when you think about it, Peach is a horrible mother (no offense). If you abandon your own child, you shouldn't be so surprised if it turns out a monster. -_-

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
...Play all of Sunshine.
Bowser lied to Bowser Jr. Peach isn't his mother.
Oh thats ok then. It's my bad because I never had a GC (yes, I never played melee as I was growing up SHOCKHORROR). In all seriousness I only ever played melee since I started going to tournaments. Had lots of fun killing Jiggs with Ness on Termina Bay.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh thats ok then. It's my bad because I never had a GC (yes, I never played melee as I was growing up SHOCKHORROR). In all seriousness I only ever played melee since I started going to tournaments. Had lots of fun killing Jiggs with Ness on Termina Bay.
Nice. Yeah, I got everything but the original Gameboy and the Virtual Boy. I have the Super Boy instead, and the rest is good. Great game too.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Likewise, Jr. has barely shown up any more in any major Mario games as is, being thrown aside. Almost like a flavor of the month.
The only two major Mario games that Bowser Jr. missed were Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7. Right now he is not in trouble, though there is some room for concern. If he stops showing up in Mario platformers then you can say that his time has gone.

As for Pokemon, the only thing I really care about in regards to the franchise is Mewtwo returning. I would prefer there would be no cuts, but if Lucario had to go, I would prefer him being replaced by Victini (this is assuming there are only five slots given to Pokemon).

I don't have much interest right now for Smash Bros. 4 speculation considering we may be looking at another 1.5 years before we actually know anything solid. I was originally anticipating Smash 4 being revealed in less than five months time, however, since they is probably not going to happen, I will just wait on the sidelines.

I will come back though whenever the Kid Icarus Uprising OVAs are released (as well as when Uprising and FE13 are released). I am still dismayed that there is a good chance that Smash 4 will probably not be released until 2015. It seems the time gaps between Smash Bros. games keeps increasing, which is yet another reason why Smash 4 will be the last Smash Bros. I follow.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ah, but that's the thing. Although MK7 is a spinoff. Likewise, Super Mario Land-based games take place outside of Bowser... atleast the old ones. I haven't played my copy, so I can't say much on that.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Mario Kart games are the biggest of the spinoffs. They usually outsell the Mario platformers (with the exception of the 2D ones), and even outsell Smash Bros.

Super Mario 3D Land, unlike the Game Boy ones, was developed by the main Mario platformer team (the team that made the Galaxy titles). Super Mario Land 1 & 2 were developed by R&D1. Super Mario 3D Land is definitely among the main Mario line.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I woke up this morning to see 4 inches of snow :grin: No school, most likely, but right now, it's delayed. So, what's good with ya'll?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Wow, snow.... I wish we got more of that, here in Sydney.... I've only ever seen snow once, when I went to New Zealand for 2 weeks. Apart from those snowy 2 weeks (which I can't remember much now because that was ages ago), I have had just about no experience with snow, except for hearing about it from the Blue Mountains.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
But Mario Kart 7 is not. Likewise, that didn't answer what I was talking about. I also considered Super Mario Land(including all Wario and regular Yoshi games not called Yoshi's Cookie) part of the mainstream titles. Things like Wario's Woods, Mario Kart, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, those are spin-offs. As for the RPG's, those are completely debatable, but they aren't part of the regular Mario world in general, even if they were mainstream.

I read an article related to that. The "Super Mario" games were the mainstream titles, and technically Donkey Kong(Arcade) and Mario Bros. could be considered part of it. But the RPG's are spin-offs, although they could be considered a mainstream spin-off in their own "canon" world, if you will.

Anyway, I want to see Bowser Jr. again in a mainstream title, but without that, he's getting hurt in popularity.(Waluigi has been around much longer, which may be why he's more known and popular in comparison)

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I think he's advertising...

Anyways, news time!
Pokémon Movie Announcement

CoroCoro has promised that, within their next issue due out on February 15th, it will provide more world's first information, but this time in regards to the new movie. Elsewhere in the magazine, it promises that the main Pokémon of the movie shall be revealed next month indicating that a new Pokémon is to be revealed, presumably the legendary Pokémon; Keldeo. We'll provide more of this as and when it comes

YAY! WE ALREADY know ._.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715

School doesn't matter to me today. I have a snow day today. :awesome:

:phone:

D

Deleted member

Pokemon B/W trainers need to replace the current Trainer...
I wouldn't mind that, but I think Red would be the best way to represent Pokemon. There's no need to switch to another gen just because Red isn't "relevant".

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
...Play all of Sunshine.
Bowser lied to Bowser Jr. Peach isn't his mother.
At least Bowser Jr. forgave his papa, since he pretty much knew that Peach wasn't his mother before Bowser even told him.

Anyway, Bowser Jr.'s exclusion from Super Mario 3D Land may be a road block for him, but at least he's involved with the upcoming Mario Party 9 (even though it's a spin-off). Of course, Bowser Jr. will need more mainstream fame.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
It's not a traditional fighter. I don't consider it a true fighter.

Are you neutral, or do you just not care that much? That's how I feel with the whole Pokemon series. I'm not going to get Doexys, or Charizard alone, so I don't care how it ends up.
It's all opinion I guess, I'll just leave it up to other people to decide what the heck Smash is.

As for Pokemon, I care for everything except for a 5th Gen rep (although between Zoroark and Victini, I'm neutral on them). All I want is all of the vet Pokemon back (except for Pichu). This is why I like Toise's money pick so much.

The series I don't care at all for what happens would be Mario.

I think he's advertising...

Anyways, news time!
Pokémon Movie Announcement

CoroCoro has promised that, within their next issue due out on February 15th, it will provide more world's first information, but this time in regards to the new movie. Elsewhere in the magazine, it promises that the main Pokémon of the movie shall be revealed next month indicating that a new Pokémon is to be revealed, presumably the legendary Pokémon; Keldeo. We'll provide more of this as and when it comes

YAY! WE ALREADY know ._.
Yet another year and another Pokemon movie showing off stuff we already know. Although it could be Kyurem's alt form as well.

D

Deleted member

--- said:
Yet another year and another Pokemon movie showing off stuff we already know. Although it could be Kyurem's alt form as well.
The fact that the pattern is so obvious makes speculating on movies so boring. Still feel that this year should have been
Meloetta/Genesect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom