• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The ZSS isn't a transformation/team at all, unless you change from Samus to Zamus, or *shrugs* play with the smash ball on.
I don't play with the Smash Ball on, but you can change between Samus to ZSS during the match by taunting, similary to how Fox / Falco / Wolf can have the interaction cameo scenes in the StarFox levels. ZSS cannot return back to Samus however.

Point was: there are more transformation characters added in Brawl. Why would they not do so in Sm4sh?

Pokémon Trainer is a 3-character rotation, therefore it is different. Plus the PT in Brawl was a huge failure, due to the long transformation time and stamina (both of which need to be removed). Plus I dunno... the Sheik/Zelda duo just... "works" in its' own unique way.
They can easily revamp Pokémon Trainer to switch out his Pokémon more flexible.

And Dixie/Diddy duo sounds terribly broken. If that was in Brawl, it would have been a 2 character competitive scene (the weaker one would have been Meta Knight).
They could easily nerf Diddy's attack power to make that happen. Not the biggest fan, as I'd like a separate Dixie, but it would work. Case closed.

I think the Gale Boomerang should stay, but it should act... "differently" from Toon Link's boomerang. Perhaps make Toon Link's chase the opponent like a homing missile, and make Link's more of a straight-forward attack. Really, I think either Link or Toon Link should get a slingshot to replace the bow and arrow, too. Maybe replace Link's bombs with the Skyward Strike or whip or something. Perhaps also give Toon Link a brand new "style" of a spin attack.
Gale Boomerang is Twilight Princess only. And I'm not a fan of the other items really. The Bow should definitely stay though, and should be aimable at different angles and allow movement with it (slower though, think of the Cracker Launcher) making it Link's main projectile.

Zelda should do mediocre damage, but great knock back with a few kill moves, and be primarily projectile and long-range attack based. That will go perfectly with Sheik's short-range, combo-based, minimal knock back move set. Brawl was itching that combination of the two more towards a "more perfect union."
Impa could probably do anything Sheik can do. If not more, being able to create barriers and all. Agree with you on the Zelda part though.

I'm not sure if Ganondorf's moves will change, though (although I certainly hope they do). However, I hope he retains some of his "features" and "play style," including the sense of invincibility you feel when you play him in Melee. Mix in the old style with a new move set. That would be awesome! :cool:
Some old moves could stay for all I care. His Brawl Side B (with some revamp to make it much stronger) could stay for example. As well as his other moves unique from C.Falcon as the Fair, DSmash, Ftilt (or no- make that a sword slash actually) and Dair. The rest is in need for heavy revamping though. His U air could also stay, as it's a big part of his playstyle.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ x
What is a Waluigi=???

I like Luigi.

Waluigi... eoww. That sounds like an ugly love child of Wario and Luigi. I don't want to envision any more of that...

And woaw... Diddy Kong... that response... is only averagely long for me! :laugh:

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I couldn't care less about Waluigi, honestly

He's not the worst choice ever by any means, but I don't think even Sakurai could consider him with a straight face

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Waluigi can be a serious contender whenever he appears in a game that's not Mario Party / Kart / Golf / Tennis. Only then I can take him seriously.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
I use Waluigi a lot in the Mario spin-offs, but I don't desire for Waluigi as a Smash Bros. character. I just don't see what would make him an interesting addition.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If Waluigi appears in a canon Mario game and does something original/has original attacks nobody else has, then those of us who oppose Waluigi would at least acknowledge he has a little credibility. Even the likes of Birdo have some credibility, because she/he/it/whatever had original moves and an original role in the Mario universe (even if Birdo's original game wasn't a Mario game).

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
His unpredictability could actually give him some great moveset potential

But like I said, his inclusion wouldn't really phase me one way or the other

He's a great troll, though, I'll give him that

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
My answer to Waluigi:

Yes to Waluigi as an assist trophy (like in Brawl).
Yes to Waluigi as a trophy (like in Brawl).
Yes to Waluigi as a sticker (I think he had a sticker or two in Brawl).
Yes to Waluigi getting a NPC appearance.
Yes to even a song from a Waluigi spin-off game (like in Brawl).
I'm neutral on Waluigi appearing as a boss.
Definitely no to Waluigi getting his own stage (although if, for instance, a Waluigi Mario Kart stage was a part of a larger Mario Kart stage, then yes).
No, hell no, to Waluigi ever being a playable character. That is, unless Waluigi has something that makes him more unique and deserving.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I don't play with the Smash Ball on, but you can change between Samus to ZSS during the match by taunting, similary to how Fox / Falco / Wolf can have the interaction cameo scenes in the StarFox levels. ZSS cannot return back to Samus however.
Again, you can only transform from Samus to Zamus once in a match, unless you have smash balls on. That is not much of a transformation.
Point was: there are more transformation characters added in Brawl. Why would they not do so in Sm4sh?
I can't think of any other good transformation characters. That is, aside from clone ideas like a second Pokémon Trainer, the Plusle and Minun combo, or the lame Diddy-Dixie combo. 2 out of 3 of those ideas are terrible, and the third (the Plusle and Minun idea) is not popular at all.
They can easily revamp Pokémon Trainer to switch out his Pokémon more flexible.
Eow, new Pokémon would be awful. Although the PT can easily be fixed, a three-character system like that is still different from the two-character system Sheik and Zelda use.
They could easily nerf Diddy's attack power to make that happen. Not the biggest fan, as I'd like a separate Dixie, but it would work. Case closed.
That would be a tag team. They both would have so many attacks with priority, it would be near impossible to stop, unless the transformation time was like... 4 seconds.
Gale Boomerang is Twilight Princess only.
Doesn't mean it can't stay. Again, we're making characters in smash as a whole (combining multiple Links), not just taking attacks from just the latest game.
The Bow should definitely stay though, and should be aimable at different angles and allow movement with it (slower though, think of the Cracker Launcher) making it Link's main projectile.
I agree. Although if you do that for Link, do that for Toon Link, give him a different move, or give his bow different strengths/abilities.
Impa could probably do anything Sheik can do. If not more, being able to create barriers and all.
Impa could do anything Sheik could do... except be Zelda's transformation, which is why Sheik has remained in smash up to this point.
Some old moves could stay for all I care. His Brawl Side B (with some revamp to make it much stronger) could stay for example. As well as his other moves unique from C.Falcon as the Fair, DSmash, Ftilt (or no- make that a sword slash actually) and Dair. The rest is in need for heavy revamping though. His U air could also stay, as it's a big part of his playstyle.
I think G-Dizzle's Brawl forward B should stay as well, although it shouldn't like it did in Brawl. The fAir, fTilt, and uTilit (make it a super charged slash, switch it with his uSmash) should remain the same or be minimally modified. As for the uAir, I wouldn't mind that not changing. Many aerial attacks for the Smash 64/Melee characters are very similar.

@ yani and Hyper Falcon
Diddy Kong Racing music would rock in smash. We don't need a Diddy Kong Racing stage in the game (although it would rock), but music would be awesome. Also, DKC3 and DK64 could use some music. Seriously, if Jungle Beat gets music in smash, so should DKC3 and DK64.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Samus turning in ZSS during the match is almost as common as Sheik switching to Zelda.

And if the Zelda characters aren't based of relevancy, why did Link had the Gale Boomerang in the first place? Mario also had F.L.U.D.D. for example. And I don't think he will have it in Smash 4.

Impa, being Zelda's bodyguard and all would make perfect sence to be able to switch in for Zelda to fight. While Zelda would just teleport away magically, Impa could just jump in. Doubt the animation would be much different from Zelda warping between time and space to reincarnate in a different lifetime transforming into Sheik in Brawl.

:phone:

yani

Smash Lord
I just noticed I don't have Waluigi's Brawl trophy.. WTF. Do I really have to play coin launcher for hours to get it?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I just noticed I don't have Waluigi's Brawl trophy.. WTF. Do I really have to play coin launcher for hours to get it?
Probably. Or just keep going through All-Star. I would've liked it to be easier to get Trophies. It's beyond easy to get Stickers. :facepalm:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Samus turning in ZSS during the match is almost as common as Sheik switching to Zelda in Melee.
Fix'd! :) At tournaments here in California, Shelda users are as common (if not more common) that Zelda or Sheik users. They usually switch once or twice per stock.

Also, I thought of a fun idea: When you get KO'd as Sheik or Zelda or a transformation character like that, if you hold down A while you reappear, you should change to the other transformation. That would be a fun little addition! :cool:
And if the Zelda characters aren't based of relevancy, why did Link had the Gale Boomerang in the first place? Mario also had F.L.U.D.D. for example. And I don't think he will have it in Smash 4.
Well yes, but look at Link's moveset. Aside from the Gale Boomerang, the new models for moves based off Twilight Princess, and the Clawshot (which is the same as the Hookshot in Melee), all of Link's attacks are from previous Zelda games. The "new game" was mixed in fairly.
Impa, being Zelda's bodyguard and all would make perfect sence to be able to switch in for Zelda to fight. While Zelda would just teleport away magically, Impa could just jump in. Doubt the animation would be much different from Zelda warping between time and space to reincarnate in a different lifetime transforming into Sheik in Brawl.
Well at least you gave an original (but not sanely possible) explanation. I wish that Game Informer article on smash bros character would do at least that! :laugh:

Also, this random picture made me laugh! :laugh:

D

Deleted member

I know we aren't on character talk now, but I'm starting to wonder if we actually NEED a 5th Gen rep for Pokemon. I mean sure, we had a 2nd Gen in Melee and a 4th Gen in Brawl, but given the circumstances, I'm not sure a 5th Gen is all that required.

In Melee, Pichu wasn't even planned. Pichu was added later to beef up the Roster.
If the clones didn't happen, we would've only had Pika, Jiggz, and Mewtwo.
While there would've been a 20th character not including Sheik, we don't know who that 20th character would've been, but signs point to Dedede, not another Pokemon.

In Brawl, Lucario was pushed upon by GameFreak. But was it necessarily because Lucario was a 4th Gen?
I mean, aside from being the 4th Gen mascot, Lucario (prior to Brawl):
1. Had a movie dedicated to it. And it's not a Legendary. And said movie came out before the 4th Gen did.
2. Had references in the first Pokemon Mystery Dungeon titles with a "Lucario Rank", the best Rank available, and a coveted Lucario statue you could get.
3. Much popularity to where he was one of the more requested Pokemon. Among him were Pokemon like Blaziken, Deoxys, Darkrai, and Meowth.
4. Plenty of merchandise.

While Lucario did represent the 4th Generation in Brawl, I have reason to believe there was more to it than that. While a 5th Generation Pokemon hasn't even tapped into Lucario's level of popularity and icon status. Zoroark tried, but Zoroark failed.
Hell, Lucario even appears in B/W as one of returning character Cynthia's Pokemon.

So all in all, I'm starting to beleive that a 5th Gen isn't all that "required" and could surfice by having stages, a bunch of Poke Ball summons, and possibly a boss like the 3rd Generation got with Rayquaza.

Thoughts on this matter?
No one ever responded to this, so I'm bringing it back. This relates to why there's no 5th Gen on my Roster.

EDIT: I also have a whole speech to set up on the list of "candidates" from the 5th Generation and evaluations for them.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
We don't "need" anything. Heck, smash bros could be a first person shooter where you play as a turd. The only thing smash bros "needs" to be smash bros is the title! :laugh:

"Need" is subjective, unless you are talking about need in a definitive way. For example, in order to survive, we need food,water, and to be free of disease. Nothing else.

Does nearly everyone want a new Pokémon rep=??? YES! And Nintendo wants one, and Sakurai will, too. The Pokémon Company will have the most popular Pokémon choice ready for the next smash. So yes, a 5th or 6th Generation Pokémon will be playable in an upcoming smash bros game, definitely. So far, you can expect Victini. There's not many oppose to him, and there are a lot of people (myself included) who would like to play as Victini.

yani

Smash Lord
Ugh okay I have 9999, I'm down to 8900 now. I'm going till I run out (or ya know, get his trophy :awesome:)

D

Deleted member

We don't need anything. "Need" is subjective, unless you are talking about need in a definitive way. For example, in order to survive, we need food,water, and to be free of disease. Nothing else.

Does nearly everyone want a new Pokémon rep=??? YES! And Nintendo wants one, and Sakurai will, too. The Pokémon Company will have the most popular Pokémon choice ready for the next smash. So yes, a 5th or 6th Generation Pokémon will be playable in an upcoming smash bros game, definitely.
But the thing is, is one actually all that likely to be PLAYABLE? Which ties into my evaluation of the "candidates".
Because again, Pichu in Melee was an afterthought. Representing the latest Generation was not on priority.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ugh okay I have 9999, I'm down to 8900 now. I'm going till I run out (or ya know, get his trophy :awesome:)
Good luck, man.

@GY: Long story short, B/W is extremely popular. People want one in because it's one of the best selling Pokemon games, and was unique on its own. It wasn't just mostly a copycat of the originals. Likewise, only problem anyone has is which 5th Gen to pick. Most people want it in.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
CDs are the biggest ****ing pain to get though...

And yeah, besides upgrades from his more current weapons, Link is mostly the same in Brawl. Not that that worked good for him however... Which is why a complete revamp wouldn't be bad. Add some speed to his game already... Especially Skyward Sword would be good for inspiration for that.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
So, I had this weird dream I was playing as Victini fighting Regirock, Registeel, and Regice. I... need a moment of how awesome it was ;~;

I also just beat Donkey Kong Country 2 again. I'm quite fed up with playing it solo _-_

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
CDs are the biggest ****ing pain to get though...

And yeah, besides upgrades from his more current weapons, Link is mostly the same in Brawl. Not that that worked good for him however... Which is why a complete revamp wouldn't be bad. Add some speed to his game already... Especially Skyward Sword would be good for inspiration for that.

Beef his recovery too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom